It's Nastase's 1973 the best season ever for a player on clay ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's Nastase's 1973 the best season ever for a player on clay ?

fsoica
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Na/I/Ilie-Nastase.aspx?t=pa&y=1973&m=s&e=0#

I don't know how tennis used to work those days, but they played some huge clay tourneys twice that year (or this is a bug on ATP's website?).

Look at the players Nastase won against in all those finals (Panatta, Borg, Pilic, Orantes, Emerson etc.).

I think it's the best season ever of a player on clay.

He played 12 clay tourneys and he won 9.
(1 final, 1 sf and 1 qf).

He won RG, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Barcelona (twice !), Rome, Cincinnati, Florence, Gstaad.

Also, the overall season is outstanding !

NyGeL
02-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Compare with Vilas during 1977 and Nadal 2005

Sophocles
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Possibly.

fsoica
02-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Vilas won 13 tourneys, including 2 GSes on clay (RG and USOpen), but for the most of them, apart GSes, he didn't play against such a big field.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Vi/G/Guillermo-Vilas.aspx?t=pa&y=1977&m=s&e=0#

Impressive, anyway,

as for Nadal 2005, we have 8 wins, including RG and 2 clay MSes, impressive also...quite difficult to decide, but I'll stick to Nastase, 'cause he is a romanian like me, afterall :)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx?t=pa&y=2005&m=s&e=0#

aulus
02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Take a look here:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Na/I/Ilie-Nastase.aspx?t=pa&y=1973&m=s&e=0#

I don't know how tennis used to work those days, but they played some huge clay tourneys twice that year (or this is a bug on ATP's website?).

Look at the players Nastase won against in all those finals (Panatta, Borg, Pilic, Orantes, Emerson etc.).

I think it's the best season ever of a player on clay.

He played 12 clay tourneys and he won 9.
(1 final, 1 sf and 1 qf).

He won RG, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Barcelona (twice !), Rome, Cincinnati, Florence, Gstaad.

Also, the overall season is outstanding !
it is certainly one of the best. Nastase also won all '73 RG matches in straight sets.

i have not ever seen Nastase play on clay. i have seen him on other surfaces. he was very talented. seems like he should have won more bug events.

i agree with fsoica that Vilas faced a bit of a weak field. he was obviously a great player, but, imo, he had little chance to beat Borg if Borg had played RG. (similar to Federer vs Nadal at RG.)
at the time, there were competing tours. Borg played World Team Tennis, so he could not play in RG.

on clay in '77
Nice: Borg d Vilas 6-4, 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
Monte Carlo: Borg d Vilas 6-2, 6-3

at RG
RG '75: Borg d Vilas 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
RG '78: Borg d Vilas 6-1, 6-1, 6-3

Borg was 17-5 vs Vilas, most of them played on clay.

NyGeL
02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Borg is 10-5 against Nastase (3-3 on clay).

Vilas is 4-2 over Nastase on Clay (7-5 total) counting the one that Nastase cheated on the strings.

Also, when he won RG he only lost one set before winning the match 6-0 6-3 6-0.
Same on USOpen (defeating Santana, Higueras and Connors).

Nastase made a great season but not the best ever. It is at the same level of Vilas and/or Nadal (considering only clay), being Rafa's probably the best one.

CyBorg
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Borg was 16/17 that year. Nastase's wins against him in 1973 are not that impressive.

Although this was a great year, it's not the best. Borg had years in which he was undefeated and he won two French Opens in his career in which he did not drop a set.

The difference between Borg's best years and those of Nastase ('73) and Vilas ('77) is that Borg played fewer events and almost never bothered with small, mickey mouse ones.

However if you look strictly at percentages Borg won somewhere in the neighbourhood of 97-98% of his clay court matches between 1977 and 1981, inclusive.

aulus
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Borg is 10-5 against Nastase (3-3 on clay).

He made a great season but not the best ever. It is at the same level of Vilas and/or Nadal (considering only clay), being Rafa's probably the best one.
and in '73, Borg was only 17 years old, before Borg became a dominant player.

Vilas probably should have been ranked #1 in '77 (won RG, USO and 14 other titles, was runner up at AO and won 46 consecutive matches), but the ranking system was dumb and gave Connors #1.

Connors streak of 200-something weeks at #1 was, imo, a bogus record, because Vilas should have been #1 in '77.

Ashe was arguably #1 in '75, and it seems like Borg should have been #1 in '76. Borg won Wimbledon without losing a set, won the finals of World Championship Tennis (a big event at the time), and reached the finals of USO.

Sophocles
02-15-2010, 10:29 PM
and in '73, Borg was only 17 years old, before Borg became a dominant player.

Vilas probably should have been ranked #1 in '77 (won RG, USO and 14 other titles, was runner up at AO and won 46 consecutive matches), but the ranking system was dumb and gave Connors #1.

Connors streak of 200-something weeks at #1 was, imo, a bogus record, because Vilas should have been #1 in '77.

Ashe was arguably #1 in '75, and it seems like Borg should have been #1 in '76. Borg won Wimbledon without losing a set, won the finals of World Championship Tennis (a big event at the time), and reached the finals of USO.

1976 I think Connors deserves. He won the U.S. Open and a ton of other tournaments, by no means all of them Mickey Mouse. 1978, on the other hand, should certainly have been Borg.