Question about the pronunciation of "Mello" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Question about the pronunciation of "Mello"

Tennis Fool
09-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Okay, Mary and John are pronouncing it to rhyme with "yellow" and "hello" (thus the bad jokes that keep coming).

I guess this is correct as they wouldn't go on air sounding ignorant.

But...I know that in Spanish, two LLs are pronouncied with a "y" sound. I guess this is not the case in Portuguese?

star
09-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for asking that question. I would like to know as well. :)

star
09-05-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/text/pronunciation.htm#Pronunciation%20Guide

Tennis Fool
09-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Mac and Dick Enberg are having way too much fun with his name.

Daniel
09-18-2004, 07:02 AM
i am latin and i pronounce it : Meyo, no melloww or something like that., english people pronounce like that coz they dont understand the rules of the spanish language .

¿esquímaux?
09-18-2004, 07:07 AM
May-low? Or is that a no-no :D?

CooCooCachoo
09-18-2004, 07:09 AM
i am latin and i pronounce it : Meyo, no melloww or something like that., english people pronounce like that coz they dont understand the rules of the spanish language .

And you don't understand they speak Portuguese in Brazil :silly:

Daniel
09-18-2004, 07:10 AM
May-low? Or is that a no-no :D?

:o no dear, not "may - low", that might be interpreted in a different context :angel: :devil: u have to follow the rules of spanish grammar and pronounce it: Meyo. ;)

Daniel
09-18-2004, 07:12 AM
And you don't understand they speak Portuguese in Brazil :silly:

either way u dont pronounce it : Mellowwww or something like that in Portuguese.

jmp
09-18-2004, 10:47 AM
:lol: I thought it was pretty funny that Mac and Dick lost it over this man's name. But, I think the correct pronounciation to American ears would be MAY-YO.

¿esquímaux?
09-18-2004, 11:42 AM
:o no dear, not "may - low", that might be interpreted in a different context :angel: :devil: u have to follow the rules of spanish grammar and pronounce it: Meyo. ;)

Oh ok, thanx :D

sigmagirl91
09-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Daniel,

Yes, you're right. That's if we're talking about Spanish, but Brazilians' official language is Portuguese, and Portuguese follows a different linguistic pattern than Spanish.

You pronounce it, according to the guide star posted a link to, "may-loo". The double "L" sound in Spanish, is "LH" in Portuguese, so it wouldn't be "may-o". Please refer to that link; it's extremely helpful. Any Portuguese speakers here to corroborate this?

Cris
09-18-2004, 01:01 PM
You're right Sigma :) Perfect!

sigmagirl91
09-18-2004, 01:01 PM
You're right Sigma :) Perfect!

Thank you, Cris. :)

¿esquímaux?
09-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Daniel,

Yes, you're right. That's if we're talking about Spanish, but Brazilians' official language is Portuguese, and Portuguese follows a different linguistic pattern than Spanish.

You pronounce it, according to the guide star posted a link to, "may-loo". The double "L" sound in Spanish, is "LH" in Portuguese, so it wouldn't be "may-o". Please refer to that link; it's extremely helpful. Any Portuguese speakers here to corroborate this?
oh ok, thanx :D

Hagar
09-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Double "l" is not pronounced as the "Y" of yes in Portuguese.
Actually, in Portuguese an "L" is pronounced in a rather "greasy" way. Just listen to some Tania Maria (Brazilian singer) songs and you will understand.
Also, the "o" is pronounced as the "o" in "loser" and not like the one in "plot".

virex
09-18-2004, 08:19 PM
there is no "ow" in the pronuciation...

sigmagirl91
09-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Hagar, Virex, thanks.

Daniel so completely and conveniently "forgot" that Mello is Brazilian and speaks Portuguese, that he continually tried to ram the Spanish pronunciation down our throats. Mind you, he hasn't been back, and he hasn't admitted his error, so we'll leave it at that. Cris has already confirmed the correct pronunciation of Mello's last name. Thanks, Cris.

TheBoiledEgg
09-18-2004, 09:10 PM
you should try the LL sound in Welsh :tape: ;)

sigmagirl91
09-18-2004, 09:11 PM
you should try the LL sound in Welsh :tape: ;)

OK, since you have me wondering.....

TheBoiledEgg
09-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Welsh lang is just weird

try this from this site http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/didyouknow/placenames/welshintro.html
ll a voiceless l,. Produce an l, but breathe out both sides of the tongue. Llanelli :confused:

there's a place in Wales called
Llanhyfryddawelllehyn-afolybarcudprindanfygy-thiadtrienusyrhafnauole :rolls:

sigmagirl91
09-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Welsh lang is just weird

try this from this site http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/didyouknow/placenames/welshintro.html
ll a voiceless l,. Produce an l, but breathe out both sides of the tongue. Llanelli :confused:

:eek: :eek:

Tennis Fool
09-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Welsh lang is just weird

Careful, or Catherine Zeta Jones will sue you.

Hagar
09-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Careful, or Catherine Zeta Jones will sue you.

And LLLLLLeyton Hewitt!!! :devil: