Another ATP tournament in Africa - When will we see it? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Another ATP tournament in Africa - When will we see it?

Matchu
02-14-2010, 06:24 AM
I honestly feel there needs to be another African tournament on the ATP Tour. It would probably be best suited the week after the South African tournament to have players from the South African tournament continue in Africa the week after.

I guess the big question is where would you hold it, considering most African nations are extremely poor there isn't really an obvious answer. Egypt could be an option but I don't know anything about their state of matters at the moment.

So where would you guys put another African tournament and when would you hold it, taking into consideration everything that comes along with holding an ATP tournament.

Arkulari
02-14-2010, 06:46 AM
there IS another tournament in Africa:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Casablanca.aspx

Matchu
02-14-2010, 06:49 AM
there IS another tournament in Africa:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Casablanca.aspx

Yeah I meant a third tournament, I was going to mention Casablanca but then I just forgot in my post.

Arkulari
02-14-2010, 06:50 AM
ok then ;)

maybe Namibia or Egypt? :scratch:

I don't really think tennis is exactly a priority for the continent

Matchu
02-14-2010, 06:59 AM
I honestly feel there needs to be another African tournament on the ATP Tour. It would probably be best suited the week after the South African tournament to have players from the South African tournament continue in Africa the week after.

I guess the big question is where would you hold it, considering most African nations are extremely poor there isn't really an obvious answer. Egypt could be an option but I don't know anything about their state of matters at the moment.

So where would you guys put another African tournament and when would you hold it, taking into consideration everything that comes along with holding an ATP tournament.

(I know Casablanca exists, I'm talking about a third tournament)

Arkulari
02-14-2010, 07:00 AM
not really, I'd rather support more important things there

maybe I would in Namibia or Egypt if their situations are good enough :scratch:

Matchu
02-14-2010, 07:01 AM
can mods please delete or merge this thread with the new one of this that has a poll as well.

Dougie
02-14-2010, 07:54 AM
It´s true that Africa as a continent has bigger and more important issues than hosting an ATP tournament. But maybe northern Africa would able to do it. Egypt maybe, Tunisia already has a big challenger, it would be nice to see that upgraded.

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I'd like you to substantiate why you feel there should be another African event :shrug:

FluffyYellowBall
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I believe that there ARE plans to hold a tounament in Egypt in April but we're dealing with a tenis crisis because they want to convert our only open uncovered tennis center court into a multi purpose hall :'(

Hellraiser
02-14-2010, 12:20 PM
It's better to see, a ONE ATP Tour in Poland. Any polish tennis fan I can bet could and want give everything to see ATP Tour again in Poland. Old times in Sopot :worship:

Matchu
02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I believe that there ARE plans to hold a tounament in Egypt in April but we're dealing with a tenis crisis because they want to convert our only open uncovered tennis center court into a multi purpose hall :'(

Oh wow thats very interesting. The reason I feel there should be another tournament in Africa is because the so called ATP World Tour spends more time in every other continent other than Africa, Asia is getting more tennis and Africa has been given one more 250 event. Egypt is probably capable of holding one and I would love to see it held there in April, probably before or after Casa.

Goldenoldie
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
It´s true that Africa as a continent has bigger and more important issues than hosting an ATP tournament. But maybe northern Africa would able to do it. Egypt maybe, Tunisia already has a big challenger, it would be nice to see that upgraded.

I agree Tunis could possibly be upgraded, but what about the date? And would it attract a better field than it does already?

Harmless
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think there's really enough interest, or infrastructure, in Africa for a third, though it would definitely be interesting to see for a tennis fan. The scenery is obviously beautiful and it could potentially be a very visually attractive tournament, but I don't think that any country in Africa, esp. those that still struggle with starvation, can get half a million dollars in prize money for a sporting event on a yearly basis.

niezubayern1
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
This probably is a terrible idea. The tournament in Johnasburg is a bust as it is. It's poorly attended by both players and fans. The cut off this year was 152 and a player ranked 104 in the world was seeded! Outside of Monfis and Ferrer it was a glorified challenger event. I say wait until conditions in the continent are better instead of wasting another tour level event there.

Matchu
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
This probably is a terrible idea. The tournament in Johnasburg is a bust as it is. It's poorly attended by both players and fans. The cut off this year was 152 and a player ranked 104 in the world was seeded! Outside of Monfis and Ferrer it was a glorified challenger event. I say wait until conditions in the continent are better instead of wasting another tour level event there.

You make a good point, but does it not seem that the reason why Joburg doesn't attract a highly ranked field is because it is a one off event that is no where near any other events in previous and future weeks. I would argue if there were a second event in Northern Africa the week after that more people would head to Joburg because playing in North Africa the week after is not that far away from Europe.

Everyone in this thread keeps saying that the whole African continent is not a viable market but I disagree, there are African countries that are capable and I'm sure the community support (not nessecarally money wise) would be there in one of the countries that is so starved of international sporting events.

Truc
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Having said that, if there would be a third one, I think Israel is the right choice.
Political issues aside :unsure:, they have 2 players in the Top200 in singles, and 4 in doubles, and the best realistic chance to ensure sponsor backing in my opinion.Israel is not in Africa.

Harmless
02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Israel is not in Africa.
:o:o:o

I was originally trying to make a statement for Egypt, I have no idea why I mistakenly went on about Israel. Thanks for correcting, I really didn't even notice. :tape:

You make a good point, but does it not seem that the reason why Joburg doesn't attract a highly ranked field is because it is a one off event that is no where near any other events in previous and future weeks. I would argue if there were a second event in Northern Africa the week after that more people would head to Joburg because playing in North Africa the week after is not that far away from Europe.

Everyone in this thread keeps saying that the whole African continent is not a viable market but I disagree, there are African countries that are capable and I'm sure the community support (not nessecarally money wise) would be there in one of the countries that is so starved of international sporting events.
It's an interesting point that maybe interest would improve with the events being more tied together, but without serious investment and dedication to promotional activities from local parties, and the necessary international cooperation to pull it off, it'll sooner die out than increase. And there really doesn't seam to be a will toward tennis promotion present in African countries.
Maybe the problem is that Africa is still largely a continent of huge economical disparities, and tennis is somewhere in between; not as low-cost as athletics, not as high-cost as golf.

Orysbestos
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
ok then ;)

maybe Namibia or Egypt? :scratch:

I don't really think tennis is exactly a priority for the continent

And it's a priority for which continent?

Tournaments = money = employment = good. Don't know what's so hard to comprende

Orysbestos
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Do you know where South Africa is? Do you honestly expect top ranked players to fly straight from Australia to play there and travel another long distance to the Netherlands? A tournament the week after Jhb would make that tournament more viable.

FluffyYellowBall
02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't think there's really enough interest, or infrastructure, in Africa for a third, though it would definitely be interesting to see for a tennis fan. The scenery is obviously beautiful and it could potentially be a very visually attractive tournament, but I don't think that any country in Africa, esp. those that still struggle with starvation, can get half a million dollars in prize money for a sporting event on a yearly basis.

All you see on the news is starvin children? Thats your picture about Africa seriously!?

First of all, Eypt is considered more Arab than African in terms on politics, economy, culture etc. Thats not the point but Egypt CAN hold a tournament. FOR SURE we have the sponsors (the ones that paid millions for Bryan Adams, Shakira, Beyonce etc) to sponsor the tournament its just the lack of knowledge of organizing a tournament which is not a problem seeing what they could do in Dubai and Quattar.

And by the way, we had a huge tournament which stopped in 2001. El Aynaoui was the last to win it.

Sounth Africa is a different story. Egypt, Tunis, Morroco, Algeria etc are only a couple hours from Europe but more than 9 hours to Johanassberg!

FluffyYellowBall
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh wow thats very interesting. The reason I feel there should be another tournament in Africa is because the so called ATP World Tour spends more time in every other continent other than Africa, Asia is getting more tennis and Africa has been given one more 250 event. Egypt is probably capable of holding one and I would love to see it held there in April, probably before or after Casa.

Your post makes me sad! Long story short..Egypt has the only uncovered tennis center court in the middle east and our local sporting club wants to cover it and make it a Multi purpose hall while the ETF are resisting that move of course as theyre trying to bring back our tennis tournament. If it wasnt for their stupid decision the tournament would have been scheduled on the ATP calendar in April.
I agree that there should be another (500)tournament in Africa. Id be biased if I said Egypt was the best choice but anywhere in North Africa definately!

Everko
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
If you mean Africa than don't include the Arab african countries. The others don't have the money to host an event. The best option in Uganda but they aren't even close

Harmless
02-15-2010, 04:38 PM
You don't know jack shit about Africa. They should bring one to Malawi. I would sponsor it. :hearts:
How nice of you. I'm sure they'll give you the Banda medal of honour for that. :hearts:

All you see on the news is starvin children? Thats your picture about Africa seriously!?
esp. = especially
It was a statement I meant to apply to a small minority of African countries.
Starvation is as much a panafrican issue as the Russian mafia is a paneuropean one. :shrug:

First of all, Eypt is considered more Arab than African in terms on politics, economy, culture etc. Thats not the point but Egypt CAN hold a tournament. FOR SURE we have the sponsors (the ones that paid millions for Bryan Adams, Shakira, Beyonce etc) to sponsor the tournament its just the lack of knowledge of organizing a tournament which is not a problem seeing what they could do in Dubai and Quattar.

And by the way, we had a huge tournament which stopped in 2001. El Aynaoui was the last to win it.

Sounth Africa is a different story. Egypt, Tunis, Morroco, Algeria etc are only a couple hours from Europe but more than 9 hours to Johanassberg!
I think Egypt has the funds for it as well. If tied well with the tourist season and potential, like in Umag ie., it could be not only a profitable, but a very fun and atmospheric tournament as well, I never implied otherwise.
How high on the political priority list sporting events are for Egypt is another matter, that only the locals can judge I guess.

Persimmon
02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Why not?

rocketassist
02-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Jo'burg is in a crap position on the calendar.

Orysbestos
02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Jo'burg is in a crap position on the calendar.

And the world.

Matchu
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Your post makes me sad! Long story short..Egypt has the only uncovered tennis center court in the middle east and our local sporting club wants to cover it and make it a Multi purpose hall while the ETF are resisting that move of course as theyre trying to bring back our tennis tournament. If it wasnt for their stupid decision the tournament would have been scheduled on the ATP calendar in April.
I agree that there should be another (500)tournament in Africa. Id be biased if I said Egypt was the best choice but anywhere in North Africa definately!

Why would my post make you sad? I'm supporting the idea of a tournament in Egypt. I'm suprised that the ETF hasn't been able to convince the ATP to give them enough money to buy the outdoor courts in Egypt. A 500 tourny in Africa isn't really a viable option considering when it would be held and where it is. 500 tournaments usually require high ranked players definetly showing up, April currently goes Casa (250) Houston (250) followed by Monte Carlo (1000) followed by Barcelona (500) and then Rome (1000).

Where exactly would it fit in that scheduling? The same week as Barca? If so it would definetly have to be a 500 tournament to have any hope of attracting players over Barca.

FluffyYellowBall
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Why would my post make you sad? I'm supporting the idea of a tournament in Egypt. I'm suprised that the ETF hasn't been able to convince the ATP to give them enough money to buy the outdoor courts in Egypt. A 500 tourny in Africa isn't really a viable option considering when it would be held and where it is. 500 tournaments usually require high ranked players definetly showing up, April currently goes Casa (250) Houston (250) followed by Monte Carlo (1000) followed by Barcelona (500) and then Rome (1000).

Where exactly would it fit in that scheduling? The same week as Barca? If so it would definetly have to be a 500 tournament to have any hope of attracting players over Barca.

No you got me wrong. I know you're supporting having a tournament here but but it's sad because of the situation going on here. Its because our tennis club (Gezira Club) which has hosted an ATP event a really long time ago, doesnt want to the tournament to be held there. Basically, if the club's board agreed to the tournament, the tournament would be on the calendar NO DOUBT. It can only be held at that club because the ITF already approved of that location some weeks ago.
What do you mean about the ATP?? I didnt know they even financially supported tournaments. But the money isnt the issue. (Well it kind of is with these huge appearance fees :eek:) But you get the point. The problem is getting approval from the clubs stupid, corrupt board. I believe things will work out sooner or later;)
I wasnt saying that it could be a 500 tourney. I was just saying we could afford it. It will probably be 250 and during Casa/Houston.

FluffyYellowBall
02-19-2010, 10:41 PM
How nice of you. I'm sure they'll give you the Banda medal of honour for that. :hearts:

esp. = especially
It was a statement I meant to apply to a small minority of African countries.
Starvation is as much a panafrican issue as the Russian mafia is a paneuropean one. :shrug:

I think Egypt has the funds for it as well. If tied well with the tourist season and potential, like in Umag ie., it could be not only a profitable, but a very fun and atmospheric tournament as well, I never implied otherwise.
How high on the political priority list sporting events are for Egypt is another matter, that only the locals can judge I guess.

Huge tennis fan base no doubt. Henin Petrova exhibition match in december was over sold and was FULL. Tennis is getting big here. Its still not football though :D