RafaChat Part 14 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RafaChat Part 14

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Clara Bow
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Ditto - I find myself liking him but if I paid any attention to what he believes, or what he SAYS he believes anyway, I'd end up going nuts. So I think of him as pretty and ornamental and pay no attention to the drivel :)

While I can understand why he may amuse people - I have a hard time though with myopic ranting (when there seeme to be a brain there) so he tends to bug me more than not. And again- I am not keen on misogyny- no matter how cute the sexist.

He's clearly an intelligent guy--to say nothing of his behavior. However, I've seen a picture or two of him somewhere or other, but I had no idea he was attractive until you folks said so.

It is funny how there can be different ideas of what is attractive- but I do think Gu fits the bill for a number of folks.

So yeah I think he is intelligent but he is happy to come across as someone who has no respect at all for a different view to his own, which is a shame.

That is what bugs the sh** out of me. I don't like it when people want to argue for the sake of arguing and calling anyone who does not agree with them an idiot. I see too much of that type of - or rather lack of - discourse in the political realm.

I guess one shouldn't expect discourse that much in today's messageboard society- but I enjoy it when I find it and I feel the art of discussion is becoming lost.

I kinda feel bad talking about the fellow so much....but oh well- just doing what the thread title demands.

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 12:43 AM
cricket :yeah:

rahul has a lot of fanboys :speakles:

you've seen Gu too? i wanna see :( i like to judge prettiness for myself:angel:

Oh I forgot Yuvraj Singh makes me drool no end too :drool:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
I tend to agree that he's intelligent - you can see that by the way he is able to twist out of the argument-based traps people always try and lay for him - whenever I see some newcomer to GM start up and take him on I always think "oh dear, here we go".

I think he is intelligent, and I think he is a troll in the true sense of the word - that he posts things purely for the purpose of provoking a reaction from one fanbase or another. I have no idea what he really thinks about tennis. His views are probably fairly accurate as he states them but he tends to embellish them with lashings of troll behaviour and liberal use of buzzwords like mug, faker, moonballer, etc, knowing how much it annoys people.

So yeah I think he is intelligent but he is happy to come across as someone who has no respect at all for a different view to his own, which is a shame.

and you like him for this. :scratch: This is a subject upon which I am completely incapable of being impartial as I have often been a target of his "go bake a pie, bitch" comments.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
You are brave indeed. I thought I could do the same not pay attention to him. Then when he changed his siggy to malign Rafa nd link him to that doping scandal in Spain. I just said this guy is sick and he is beyond the pale. That's why I have vowed never to go to GM again.
Scoobs, you are very tolerant guy and are jai yen ( cool heart in Thai) I can imagine you not getting ruffled but me alas I am not a good Buddhist.
Yeah well I think what he's doing there is pretty disgusting but again, he's just trying to provoke that exact reaction from people.

And he's being very careful with it not to explicity accuse anyone, knowing people can understand what he's implying.

So I just pay no attention again because really, what does he view matter?

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
pictures thread on Chat Threads
search by username
not mine :(

Somewhere along the line, I think I've seen a picture of you. Can't remember where, though. :confused:

Bibberz
07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
and you like him for this. :scratch: This is a subject upon which I am completely incapable of being impartial as I have often been a target of his "go bake a pie, bitch" comments.

Yikes. He did not say that, did he? I mean, I like pies as much as the next man, but that's flagrantly offside.

EDIT: I probably actually like pies more than the next man. You know, full disclosure and all.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM
No I like him for the times I've actually had the odd intelligent, rational discussion with him.

Doesn't mean I condone his behaviour towards other posters or remarks and insinuations about players.

But I do believe you can do one of two things with people who troll to provoke a reaction - either ban them completely (and keep banning their aliases that pop up), or refuse to let their prattle get under your skin in any way.

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Somewhere along the line, I think I've seen a picture of you. Can't remember where, though. :confused:

Mister MTF contest maybe :lol:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Yikes. He did not say that, did he? I mean, I like pies as much as the next man, but that's flagrantly offside.

Of course he did.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Of course he did.
Needless to say he's capable of being an utter prick. And I think he knows he's being watched closely to make sure he behaves better these days

tennizen
07-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I tend to agree that he's intelligent - you can see that by the way he is able to twist out of the argument-based traps people always try and lay for him - whenever I see some newcomer to GM start up and take him on I always think "oh dear, here we go".

I think he is intelligent, and I think he is a troll in the true sense of the word - that he posts things purely for the purpose of provoking a reaction from one fanbase or another. I have no idea what he really thinks about tennis. His views are probably fairly accurate as he states them but he tends to embellish them with lashings of troll behaviour and liberal use of buzzwords like mug, faker, moonballer, etc, knowing how much it annoys people.

Sorry to jump in but I don't think he's very intelligent. I haven't really seen him get out of any traps. He wins by being more aggressive than the other poster. I think he's smug and rates his abilities rather highly and that includes his trolling abilities:D.

pictures thread on Chat Threads
search by username
not mine :(

Genci I saw your pic when I was bored and looking through the pic thread:hearts::lol:. I saw Gu's too . He's above average but not that good looking as everyone makes him out to be:shrug:

wildegirl05
i suck at using the search function :o i'll try again later.

scoobs, i think you nailed it when you said he does it just to provoke people. but i don't find that annoying in principle - i like the concept of making provocative statements to test the boundaries.

i don't find his type of posting annoying at all. actually the only two things i consistently dislike about GM are noletrolls crying foul, and people acting holier than thou. if i'm annoyed by other things, it tends to be momentary. GM (not Gu) on the whole is rather entertaining, imo. :shrug:

cmurray
No I like him for the times I've actually had the odd intelligent, rational discussion with him.

Doesn't mean I condone his behaviour towards other posters or remarks and insinuations about players.

But I do believe you can do one of two things with people who troll to provoke a reaction - either ban them completely (and keep banning their aliases that pop up), or refuse to let their prattle get under your skin in any way.

I certainly don't engage anymore, so I fall mostly into the latter category.

Although to be fair, I did once have this surreal and quite hilarious conversation that ended in my inviting him to my house to play batman and superman with my son. :rolls:

Clara Bow
EDIT: I probably actually like pies more than the next man. You know, full disclosure and all.

:lol: You should rent the movie Waitress- pies are an important part.

Cheryl- I am with you in the sexit comments bugging.

To me using misogynistic or racist comments to insult someone that you disagree is a line that once crossed- urgh. Because if someone thinks that is appropriate to do- even if they are doing a troll persona- I have to think they are actully misogynistic or racist. And I don't hang with sexist bigots.....

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 12:54 AM

I don't have anytime for people who use their intelligence to annoy, abuse, distres others. I believe such posters regardless of their entertainment value for some should be banned. As for him I think he should banned for bein g the worst troll. He actually spawns imitators. I think MTF is going downhill and really there has to be some standards set. I am sorry I had to rant.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:54 AM

THAT'S IT! :lol:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 12:56 AM
THAT'S IT! :lol:
Oh yes, I remember Genci now :)

DhammaTiger

Cheryl- I am with you in the sexit comments bugging.

To me using misogynistic or racist comments to insult someone that you disagree is a line that once crossed- urgh. Because if someone thinks that is appropriate to do- even if they are doing a troll persona- I have to think they are actully misogynistic or racist. And I don't hang with sexist bigots.....

CB I agree with you. I have no time for such people and I don't buy the intelligent or good looking excuse to justify the actions of such people.

Bibberz

I will keep an eye out for that movie. Thanks. :) Naturally I prefer eating pies, though. I had such a meager main course at last year's Thanksgiving. My parents thought something was wrong me until I ravaged the pies. I think I had six slices in all, and I was only just barely sated. I done good .:p

Clara Bow
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Who ended up winning the Mister MTF contest?

I am sorry I had to rant.

:hug: Oh- I've been ranting the past two days.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I will keep an eye out for that movie. Thanks. :)

Naturally I prefer eating pies. I had such a meager main course at last year's Thanksgiving. My parents thought something was wrong me until I ravaged the pies. I think I had six slices in all, and I was only just barely sated. I done good .:p

mmm. Pies. Still reminds me of Twin Peaks, though. :lol: I got cherry pie from that diner when I was in Seattle once. It really WAS good. :hearts:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 12:59 AM

:hug: Oh- I've been ranting the past two days.

You have good rants, though CB, as does Ali. We welcome good rants. :D

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 01:00 AM

adee-gee

though Grinder was the moral winner for me

Clara Bow
07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
mmm. Pies. Still reminds me of Twin Peaks, though. :lol: I got cherry pie from that diner when I was in Seattle once. It really WAS good. :hearts:

I have never had a cherry pie. Or blueberry. Or apple pie. I feel like I need to renounce my citizenship.

BD- I am the inverse from you in that I like pies less than the average person. The only kind of pie I like is key lime- well maybe lemon meregue.

adee-gee

:lol: Adam is very popular.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
I will keep an eye out for that movie. Thanks. :) Naturally I prefer eating pies, though. I had such a meager main course at last year's Thanksgiving. My parents thought something was wrong me until I ravaged the pies. I think I had six slices in all, and I was only just barely sated. I done good .:p

Did you seriously eat 6 pieces of pie? That's like....a WHOLE ENTIRE PIE! Good Lord. :worship:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Pie bores me. Now cheesecake, on the other hand....

I think I was a Golden Girl in a former life.

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Sorry to jump in but I don't think he's very intelligent. I haven't really seen him get out of any traps. He wins by being more aggressive than the other poster. I think he's smug and rates his abilities rather highly and that includes his trolling abilities:D.

I agree you on your points. He is just the worst kind of Troll.

What he did to the Catlady is unforgiveable.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Pie bores me. Now cheesecake, on the other hand....

I think I was a Golden Girl in a former life.

:speakles: you don't like PIE! That's...that's...UNAMERICAN! Oh wait - you aren't american to being with. Never mind. :p

I don't like cheesecake. Too dense. Plus I don't like cheese. :rolls:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM

Talking about pies did you see the movie My Blueberry Nights? Anyone?

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:05 AM
:speakles: you don't like PIE! That's...that's...UNAMERICAN! Oh wait - you aren't american to being with. Never mind. :p

You don't like CHEESE? That's...that's...UNEUROPEAN!

Oh wait....

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
i'm going to countdown to the inevitable posting of food pics :D

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:07 AM
You don't like CHEESE? That's...that's...UNEUROPEAN!

Oh wait....

;)

Not liking cheese is quite rare here too. You should see the looks I get at restaurants when I say "can I have that WITHOUT the cheese, please?" :rolls:

Bibberz
07-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Did you seriously eat 6 pieces of pie? That's like....a WHOLE ENTIRE PIE! Good Lord. :worship:

Yup. :) My sister-in-law brought over apple and pumpkin pies, and they were perfectly spiced. :lick: I was quite proud. The smart money says I'll better my record in a few months. ;)

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
i'm going to countdown to the inevitable posting of food pics :D

Where's Metis when you need her. :lol:

scoobs
;)

Not liking cheese is quite rare here too. You should see the looks I get at restaurants when I say "can I have that WITHOUT the cheese, please?" :rolls:
Yeah but I don't call what you serve up in America "cheese" anyway.... ;)

Clara Bow

I don't like cheesecake- which saddens me as a huge fan of the Golden Girls. But I love cheese-it is my favorite type of food. The one food that I wish had zero calories.

scoobs- between SVH and the Golden Girls- we have similar tastes. I met Rue at a booksigning and presentation last year and she was awesome.

DT- nope, never saw the movie.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 01:09 AM

if she's taking requests, i would like something decadently choclatey :drool:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Yup. :) My sister-in-law brought over apple and pumpkin pies, and they were perfectly spiced. :lick: I was quite proud. The smart money says I'll better my record in a few months. ;)

WOW. 6 pieces of pie. If I could be assure that it wouldn't go IMMEDIATELY to my thighs, I might try that too. Alas, we women are not as fortunate with our metabolisms. :sad:

pumpkin pie is my very favorite, provided it is, as you say, spiced properly. It's just SO good. :lick:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't like cheesecake- which saddens me as a huge fan of the Golden Girls. But I love cheese-it is my favorite type of food. The one food that I wish had zero calories.

scoobs- between SVH and the Golden Girls- we have similar tastes. I met Rue at a booksigning and presentation last year and she was awesome.

They were legends. I love Bea Arthur, and as for Betty White - some of her filthy comedy is just superb....and as for Estelle Getty :worship:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
WOW. 6 pieces of pie. If I could be assure that it wouldn't go IMMEDIATELY to my thighs, I might try that too. Alas, we women are not as fortunate with our metabolisms. :sad:

pumpkin pie is my very favorite, provided it is, as you say, spiced properly. It's just SO good. :lick:

i'm not a big fan of any desserts outside of chocolatey ones but i do like cherry cobblers :hearts:

adee-gee
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
adee-gee

:tears:

I think when you consider the whole package - looks, personality, humour, taste in tennis players.....I was the clear and deserving winner, no? :p
I agree you on your points. He is just the worst kind of Troll.

What he did to the Catlady is unforgiveable.
What did he do to the Cat Lady? :confused:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah but I don't call what you serve up in America "cheese" anyway.... ;)

Hey now, Sir Cheddar. You Brits aren't exactly known for your high-falutin' cheeses either. :(

I loved the Golden Girls. Rose was JUST like my Grandma. :lol:

Bibberz
07-10-2008, 01:13 AM

:hug: I actually prefer pecan pie over all others, but we never seem to have any during Thanksgiving. :( I'll have a talk with my sister-in-laws. One of them will come through....

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Food talk:lol: I am not fond of sweet food in general although I likely sweetened chocolate cakes. I also dislike cheese and ask for it to be removed. I have so much trouble in US because most snacks are sweet here although its a paradise for the sweet-toothed:lol:

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:16 AM
RafatheBest is my new favorite poster and if he/she is a double account then my old favorite poster.

Clara Bow
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
They were legends. I love Bea Arthur, and as for Betty White - some of her filthy comedy is just superb....and as for Estelle Getty :worship:

Rue's stories about Estelle's dementia were very sad. :sad:

But her other stories were great.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
:hug: I actually prefer pecan pie over all others, but we never seem to have any during Thanksgiving. :( I'll have a talk with my sister-in-laws. One of them will come through....

pecan is good too. Apparently, I'm a pie junkie. :sobbing:

how many sisters-in-law have you got?

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM

I think when you consider the whole package - looks, personality, humour, taste in tennis players.....I was the clear and deserving winner, no? :p

What did he do to the Cat Lady? :confused:

And so MODEST too :rolleyes:

He quoted a post she made in the Djoko forum when she was very upset at Djoko's loss to Marat in his signature to ridicule her - not very nice.

Hey now, Sir Cheddar. You Brits aren't exactly known for your high-falutin' cheeses either. :(

I loved the Golden Girls. Rose was JUST like my Grandma. :lol:

Yeah but come on - Colby, Monterey Jack....yada yada - they all taste the same. Yellow, hard, artificial. We may not be the home of Brie, mozarrella and emmental, but we do have some good cheddar, cheshire, double gloucester, stilton, red leicester among many others.

That's not the only food they're not known for. Of course, I don't each much American cuisine either.

It's a good job we have had a large immigrant population to help our food culture - most Brits my age these days eat more Chinese, Thai, Italian, Japanese, Indian and Mexican food than "British" meals.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM
That's not the only food they're not known for. Of course, I don't each much American cuisine either.

Do you like Thai food? :drool: Thai and Vietnamese are my two absolute favorites.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:22 AM
He quoted a post she made in the Djoko forum when she was very upset at Djoko's loss to Marat in his signature to ridicule her - not very nice.

yeah...that was just mean.

Yeah but come on - Colby, Monterey Jack....yada yada - they all taste the same. Yellow, hard, artificial. We may not be the home of Brie, mozarrella and emmental, but we do have some good cheddar, cheshire, double gloucester, stilton, red leicester among many others.

It all tastes like ass to me, so I'll be happy to agree with you. :lol:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Do you like Thai food? :drool: Thai and Vietnamese are my two absolute favorites.

I love Thai food and Vietnamese too. Living half the year in Thailand makes it easy to eat good Thai food everyday. The best food Thai food you get is the one cooked in the street. The restaurants in the posh areas usually bastardise for foreigners. My favourite Thai food is from the Northeast and the South- the really fieriest. Thais who are not from the South find the fieriness too much for them. So it's not easy to get real southern Thai food in Bangkok. You have to go to the beach resorts for that.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I feel like I am being ignored here:sad: BD and Cheryl, get a room you two:D

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Well her own comments about Nadal/Agassi/Murray/Cachalot whale aren't very nice either.

Glenn was absolutely correct to point out sheer hypocrisy, and the same Mr Safin who was told 'f*ck you' in the post, is a man she was once a fan of :shrug:

adee-gee

I presumed you liked that in a guy considering your love of Roger :sad: :angel:

Oh I expected a lot worse than that :lol:

cmurray
Two. They're good people.

One of my old professors ("20th Century British Novel") said the exact same thing. :)

Love it. Indian and Greek food are at the top of my list. Japanese used to be a close third, but now I'm a vegetarian. :sad: Thai is the running for the bronze.

Yep, me too. I like all of those. I don't tend to like standard american fare - I much prefer ethnic food.

I am watching Rafa cry with his Mami and Papi again. Obviously I'm obsessed. Roger looks so sad. :awww: BD, I can understand your fascination with Robbie Federer now. What a class act! :worship:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:31 AM
I presumed you liked that in a guy considering your love of Roger :sad: :angel:

Oh I expected a lot worse than that :lol:

Show me your 12 Grand Slams and I'll love your slight arrogance too :)

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:32 AM

:speakles:

Hema, I would NEVER ignore you. :awww:

adee-gee
07-10-2008, 01:32 AM
:lol: :hug:

I currently have my sister's cat on my bed :hearts: I texted my g/f to tell her I have a good looking girl in bed with me and sent her a picture :angel:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:34 AM

You must watch the movie. It has Nora Jones and Jude Law really great film.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh, don't you start. :( I previously established that Cheryl only likes me for five minutes at a time. Okay, I didn't establish it so much as just blurt it. It's true enough, though.

Well those five minutes are all so :inlove: and cozy though:rolls:

Well her own comments about Nadal/Agassi/Murray/Cachalot whale aren't very nice either.

Glenn was absolutely correct to point out sheer hypocrisy, and the same Mr Safin who was told 'f*ck you' in the post, is a man she was once a fan of :shrug:

Glenn has no business pointing out anything of anybody's:lol: I don't like the Cat Lady much but its still rather mean particularly because she said it right after the match.

Yep, me too. I like all of those. I don't tend to like standard american fare - I much prefer ethnic food.

I like Indian, Thai, Mexican food:D I also like the Mongolian Buffet although in all of these places I have tough time making sure the food is vegetarian. In a lot of Thai restaurants they add fish/oyster sauce by default even in their vegetarian options:lol:

adee-gee
07-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Poor attitude, success doesn't excuse arrogance :(

Tiger Woods = the GOAT sportsmen, but he's as modest as they come.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh, don't you start. :( I previously established that Cheryl only likes me for five minutes at a time. Okay, I didn't establish it so much as just blurt it. It's true enough, though.

This is true. :shrug:

:haha::haha: Good one, Scoobs.

Robert's all class. If you just showed me footage of his reaction, I would guess that Roger had just won. He didn't win, though. Rafa won. Rafa won Wimbledon. Oh yes.

:D Yes, yes he did. Rafael Nadal is the 2008 Wimbledon Champion. It really can't be said enough.

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Since we all agreed that Thai food is great. Here is the famous Gaeng Khiao Wan ( sweet green curry) Though the this picture is not very authentic The real Thai green curry should have small eggplants in it.http://static.deliaonline.com/images/originals/wi166-thai-green-curry-20751.jpg

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:39 AM
:speakles:

Hema, I would NEVER ignore you. :awww:

:D I had to do something to divert your attention from BD. My ploy worked:D

I currently have my sister's cat on my bed :hearts: I texted my g/f to tell her I have a good looking girl in bed with me and sent her a picture :angel:

:lol: I don't think your GF would be worried even if you didn't send the picture. You strike me as the faithful and devoted type of BF:D

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM

True - I fanboy Ollie Rochus and my little dude hasn't achieved in ages.

But from you I want better.

rocketassist
Glenn has no business pointing out anything of anybody's:lol: I don't like the Cat Lady much but its still rather mean particularly because she said it right after the match.

The comment is hilarious and just as funny as Fakervic's early exit. :p

scoobs
Since we all agreed that Thai food is great. Here is the famous Gaeng Khiao Wan ( sweet green curry) Though the this picture is not very authentic The real Thai green curry should have small eggplants in it.http://static.deliaonline.com/images/originals/wi166-thai-green-curry-20751.jpg
I loves me some Thai food. I could eat it all day but I don't go too hot - bit of a wimp with my palate.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:42 AM
It's mean-spirited and there's far too much of that around here already.

cmurray
Well those five minutes are all so :inlove: and cozy though:rolls:

I like Indian, Thai, Mexican food:D I also like the Mongolian Buffet although in all of these places I have tough time making sure the food is vegetarian. In a lot of Thai restaurants they add fish/oyster sauce by default even in their vegetarian options:lol:

Oh yes. Fish sauce - that never even occurred to me (I am a seafood eater). I don't care for mexican so much because of the cheese. :rolls:

DhammaTiger

I am watching Rafa cry with his Mami and Papi again. Obviously I'm obsessed. Roger looks so sad. :awww: BD, I can understand your fascination with Robbie Federer now. What a class act! :worship:

Me too I got weepy when Rafa was hugging his mama and papa and Tio Toni. I agree Robert Federer is undoubtedly a gentleman. I liked Rafa went over tho him and shook his hannds. Great attitude.

Metis
07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
I present to you Pasta Flora (the Italians call it Pasta Frola), one of my favorite desserts. My mother makes it with homemade apricot jam :drool:

http://www.sanceferinoweb.com.ar/images/frola.jpg

cmurray
:D I had to do something to divert your attention from BD. My ploy worked:D

You're sneaky, Hema. VERY sneaky.

tennizen
Oh yes. Fish sauce - that never even occurred to me (I am a seafood eater). I don't care for mexican so much because of the cheese. :rolls:

:lol: I know I have received so many annoying looks because I often visit Thai restaurants and each time I tell them to remove the seafood sauce. I always notice the waitresses getting a giggle on my account:lol: Even in Mexican I tell them to remove the cheese. I don't eat some of the stuff there because of the cheese.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Well according to Lynette Federer:

"Nadal is a phenomenal player with a great temperament, he met us after the final and told us it was an honour to play against Roger his parents must be very proud of him as I am of Roger following that final."

Seriously, it's a love-in. I can only assume Rafa is clearing the way to ask for Roger's hand in marriage :angel:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:45 AM

Scoobs I agree with you. That episode just exposed Gu to be a relly mean spirited individual.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I present to you Pasta Flora (the Italians call it Pasta Frola), one of my favorite desserts. My mother makes it with homemade apricot jam :drool:

http://www.sanceferinoweb.com.ar/images/frola.jpg

Metis, I just KNEW you would be here with the good food pics eventually. :inlove:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:49 AM

"Nadal is a phenomenal player with a great temperament, he met us after the final and told us it was an honour to play against Roger his parents must be very proud of him as I am of Roger following that final."

Seriously, it's a love-in. I can only assume Rafa is clearing the way to ask for Roger's hand in marriage :angel:

Rafa has been properly brought up, there is no ifs and buts about it. I think a lot of Roger's perceived arrogance is actually shyness. Also in my experience Swiss people are quite reserved. while rafa being Spanish wears his heart on his sleeves.
I really like Federer's parents they were so wonderful that night. It was the first time I saw them.

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 01:49 AM

I would agree if the victim hadn't gone round accusing Nadal/Agassi of being on dope and being a general hypocrite.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Rafa has been properly brought up, there is no ifs and buts about it. I think a lot of Roger's perceived arrogance is actually shyness. Also in my experience Swiss people are quite reserved. while rafa being Spanish wears his heart on his sleeves.
I really like Federer's parents they were so wonderful that night. It was the first time I saw them.

Yes. Both sets of parents are fantastically good sports. It is a credit to the game, for sure.

My only disappointment is that I didn't see Uncle Miguel in the friends and family box. :sad:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:51 AM
I would agree if the victim hadn't gone round accusing Nadal/Agassi of being on dope and being a general hypocrite.
Yes but where does it stop?

People on here see someone acting like an asshole and feel the appropriate response is to act like an asshole to them to show them the error of their ways.

I love that logic. Fucking for virginity and fighting for peace.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Did you just lift this quote from that poster in GM? If you did, well, that might not be the most reputable source. Just sayin'.....

Hmm. Well either way, if Rafa didn't say that, I can imagine it's the sort of thing he would say - it would be in character, no?

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Yes. Both sets of parents are fantastically good sports. It is a credit to the game, for sure.

My only disappointment is that I didn't see Uncle Miguel in the friends and family box. :sad:

Miguel was such a hardman on the field- Spanish footie is associated with flair but he was the complete opposite- man of steel.

I remember him the most for missing the penalty at Wembley though- the only time England wins on penalties in 100 years of international history.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:53 AM

People on here see someone acting like an asshole and feel the appropriate response is to act like an asshole to them to show them the error of their ways.

Ah. Your first mistake is thinking that he did it to show her the error of her ways. He was just laughing at her, that's all there is to it.

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 01:54 AM

There's a difference between taking the piss, as Glenn was, and making outlandish defaming accusations about players (like she did)

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:55 AM
There's a difference between taking the piss, as Glenn was, and making outlandish defaming accusations about players (like she did)
What, like the insinuations in Glenn's signature?

Please - let's not try that kind of moral relativism.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Miguel was such a hardman on the field- Spanish footie is associated with flair but he was the complete opposite- man of steel.

I remember him the most for missing the penalty at Wembley though- the only time England wins on penalties in 100 years of international history.

So I've heard. I read somewhere that he played a game with a broken foot. The WHOLE game. I know he is well known for that missed kick, but it doesn't make him any less attractive. :rolls:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 01:56 AM

Fish sauce is integral part of Thai cooking. i am sorry you can't have Thai cooking without fish sauce. it's like no pasta in italian food.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 01:56 AM

:mad: this is just unbelievable. i've fangirled robert for so long but this guy wants to poke him with a stick and suddenly he's the robert-tard. :rolleyes:

Robert's all class. If you just showed me footage of his reaction, I would guess that Roger had just won. He didn't win, though. Rafa won. Rafa won Wimbledon. Oh yes.

:ras: whatever, dude. robert knows the truth :inlove:

:spit: adam :hug:

finally, the food pics show up. though they're not of pie, atleast it's food :D

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:58 AM
:rolleyes: Moving on....

Hemmers just had a birthday! :aparty: :hug:

:lol: You noticed the change in age?

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 01:58 AM
What, like the insinuations in Glenn's signature?

Please - let's not try that kind of moral relativism.

Am I defending his signature? In football terms he is Joey Barton, and she is Gerrard. Barton has a reputation of evil, whereas good old Stevie G, in spite of the fact he's thrown a few punches and attempt to shatter an Everton player's testicles, has a pure image.

So in basic terms, Glenn is the bad boy, and she is the golden girl, when she is no better than he is.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:00 AM
:mad: this is just unbelievable. i've fangirled robert for so long but this guy wants to poke him with a stick and suddenly he's the robert-tard. :rolleyes:

Don't be selfish, WG. There is enough of Robbie to go around. :inlove:

DhammaTiger
07-10-2008, 02:00 AM

Scoobs you are so right. A relly convoluted logic. His actions don't put him on the moral high ground.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Am I defending his signature? In football terms he is Joey Barton, and she is Gerrard. Barton has a reputation of evil, whereas good old Stevie G, in spite of the fact he's thrown a few punches and attempt to shatter an Everton player's testicles, has a pure image.

So in basic terms, Glenn is the bad boy, and she is the golden girl, when she is no better than he is.
It's just a good job we don't all subscribe to this "let's all be as shitty as each other" attitude around here, whatever the "reputation" of the poster, whiter than white or spawn of the devil, it's mostly just tedious.

Metis
07-10-2008, 02:02 AM
- Welcome to the thread Ali :wavey:

- scoobs I hope your ...domestic troubles are quickly solved :D

- As for Glenn, I have seen that shirtless photo and I don't think he's that attractive. (Adam and Genci look way better :hearts: :lol: ) Maybe it's because I saw the photo after he had already made a mess in GM. I don't think he's very intelligent either; he would have been more original. :shrug: I fully agree with Clara Bow's comments on this subject.

- I like pies especially warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. :drool: I also like pumpkin pie and cheescake.

I will keep an eye out for that movie. Thanks. Naturally I prefer eating pies, though. I had such a meager main course at last year's Thanksgiving. My parents thought something was wrong me until I ravaged the pies. I think I had six slices in all, and I was only just barely sated. I done good .:p

:rolls:

- Cheese :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

- I like so many types of food: thai, indian, korean, chinese, italian, french etc... (and greek of course; that goes without saying)

:D

Awww. Will you post the picture for us too? :awww:

making a good impression on the future mother in law is a must :shrug:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:02 AM

i agree. omg, phew. i was beginning to think i was going to have to play "mean girl" around here or something. i am utterly incapable of filling linda's metaphorical shoes :o

it's not a game of candyland. it's a message board with emotionally charged fans. :shrug: if you don't want to see it, i think you can use the "don't like, don't read" policy, no?

yes, i found it highly ironic :lol:

that's a bit much, if you ask me. why take someone's opinion on the internet that seriously that you would make that kind of comparison? you make a mockworthy statement in public, you run the risk that someone is going to point and laugh. i don't think people need to be treated with kid gloves, presumably she's an adult. if not, then maybe it's not the place for her. i use "her" in the general sense, not specific to TheCatLady.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I remember that last month you said you had a birthday in July. I just noticed the change today, though. :)

EDIT: And you felt ignored....

:rolls: BD, the charmer. I always thought Adam was the charmer around here but you are fast catching up:D I am surprised I mentioned my birthday. I don't remember having said it:(. I think you are lying:p

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:03 AM
making a good impression on the future mother in law is a must :shrug:

fedal :inlove: :music:

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
It's just a good job we don't all subscribe to this "let's all be as shitty as each other" attitude around here, whatever the "reputation" of the poster, whiter than white or spawn of the devil, it's mostly just tedious.

To put it bluntly, his signature was ripping an assclown, a proven assclown. If he ripped someone lovely like Sue (cobalt) or mandoura (I miss her :sad: ) then he would be rightly bollocked.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
awwww! Happy Birthday, Hema! :hug:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Don't be selfish, WG. There is enough of Robbie to go around. :inlove:

not if i have anything to say about it :angel:

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:06 AM
i agree. omg, phew. i was beginning to think i was going to have to play "mean girl" around here or something. i am utterly incapable of filling linda's metaphorical shoes :o

:lol: We are all mean bitches here. Remember, you are not alone. Let me clarify my position. I am no angel and I don't really mind ridicule but Glenn doing it makes me a little more irritated. He's not exactly the paragon of virtue around here. But of course he's free to do what he wants. He doesn't really get on my nerves much. Fairweatherfan on the other hand:mad:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Sweet Jesus and the Holy Mother. This isn't a turf war! Were you the first Federer or Rafa fan? Does it matter? I never said I was Robert's first and only fanboy. I think I liked it better when you just derided for allegedly liking Harry Potter.

EDIT: :hug:

You like Harry Potter? OH YEAH! I remember. You said snogging. :rolls:

And then I proposed and WG pointed out that it was possible you were just some over-zealous Potter fan instead of a nice anglophile like I'd thought.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Sweet Jesus and the Holy Mother. This isn't a turf war! Were you the first Federer or Rafa fan? Does it matter? I never said I was Robert's first and only fanboy. I think I liked it better when you just derided for allegedly liking Harry Potter.

EDIT: :hug:

:sad: he's my troicki. i discovered his awesomeness long before anyone else (well, let's ignore his real family for the purposes of this emotional speech :D) and now he's becoming a household name :sobbing:

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 02:09 AM
:lol: We are all mean bitches here. Remember, you are not alone. Let me clarify my position. I am no angel and I don't really mind ridicule but Glenn doing it makes me a little more irritated. He's not exactly the paragon of virtue around here. But of course he's free to do what he wants. He doesn't really get on my nerves much. Fairweatherfan on the other hand:mad:

FWF is deluded if he believes his theories on grass courts.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:09 AM

Well, to be fair....Maria isn't a bitch and neither is Ania.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:11 AM
:sad: he's my troicki. i discovered his awesomeness long before anyone else (well, let's ignore his real family for the purposes of this emotional speech :D) and now he's becoming a household name :sobbing:

well he DID give Rafa a standing ovation. That's enough to make me a fan.

DID YOU HEAR THAT, GAVIN? That's right, dumbass. Had you clapped I might have gone out and bought one of your crappy albums. But now? Pffft. :rolleyes:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:12 AM

thank god, it's a big reason this thread is my favorite :dance: :D we all have our specific irritants :lol:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEMA! :hug: :hug: hope it was a wonderful one. was that the reason behind the nyc trip? :)

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:13 AM
awwww! Happy Birthday, Hema! :hug:
:lol: I am already a week over 27:sad: Old age:sigh:

JM said I was the "Poor Man's Adam." (That could be my nickname!) I'm quite sure you mentioned it. I have a July birthday as well, so maybe that's why I remembered. :D

I searched for my post and can't find it:(. But you and Adam:hearts:

Well, to be fair....Maria isn't a bitch and neither is Ania.

True that:D The rest of us definitely are though:rocker:

Metis
07-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Metis, I just KNEW you would be here with the good food pics eventually. :inlove:

I suddenly felt my presence was needed (like Superman or Spiderman) :lol:

:lol: You noticed the change in age?

Happy birthday Hema! :aparty: Since we were talking about desserts here's your cake: :D

http://www.mmenterprises.co.uk/images/birthday-cake-2007.jpg

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:14 AM
scoobs I hope your ...domestic troubles are quickly solved :D

Thanks - he'll get the hell over it sooner or later I expect.

it's not a game of candyland. it's a message board with emotionally charged fans. :shrug: if you don't want to see it, i think you can use the "don't like, don't read" policy, no?

that's a bit much, if you ask me. why take someone's opinion on the internet that seriously that you would make that kind of comparison? you make a mockworthy statement in public, you run the risk that someone is going to point and laugh. i don't think people need to be treated with kid gloves, presumably she's an adult. if not, then maybe it's not the place for her. i use "her" in the general sense, not specific to TheCatLady.

My view is that I neither want nor expect GM or anywhere else on here to be like Walton's Mountain, but that doesn't mean it should be a free-for-all either. We've see what happens - it gets nasty, I mean really nasty.

What bugs me most is that so little of it is about tennis, and is instead about attacking other posters. It's like - you know, if you want to have a heated disagreement with another poster in a tennis discussion, fair enough - but often it seems like this being a tennis forum - the tennis is just a pretext for a bunch of posters to spend their time slagging each other off, and the actual tennis under discussion is purely incidental. More than anything it gets tedious. A line has to be drawn somewhere to try and keep tennis discussion threads about tennis.

To put it bluntly, his signature was ripping an assclown, a proven assclown. If he ripped someone lovely like Sue (cobalt) or mandoura (I miss her :sad: ) then he would be rightly bollocked.

Whatever happened to mandoura anyway?

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:15 AM
I suddenly felt my presence was needed (like Superman or Spiderman) :lol:

Your Metis-sense went off. :rolls:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:15 AM

DID YOU HEAR THAT, GAVIN? That's right, dumbass. Had you clapped I might have gone out and bought one of your crappy albums. But now? Pffft. :rolleyes:

so did lynette. she's completely free for fangirling :D

gavin and gwen :rolls: i think gavin was put out that his rogi was unhappy. it was quite touching in an utterly :haha: way.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:17 AM

Wow he would get you cheap - so he claps and you think "I must buy his music"

You're a marketer's dream, lady.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
so did lynette. she's completely free for fangirling :D

gavin and gwen :rolls: i think gavin was put out that his rogi was unhappy. it was quite touching in an utterly :haha: way.

Fedal fangirl. :rolleyes: :p

I guess I should at least commend them for not shoving him off that roof....

tennizen
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEMA! :hug: :hug: hope it was a wonderful one. was that the reason behind the nyc trip? :)

Actually most of it was spent traveling. If it were just for the birthday I wouldn't go. But since its close to the July 4th weekend I decided to go:)

Happy birthday Hema! :aparty: Since we were talking about desserts here's your cake: :D

:drool: Thanks for the cake Metis:D.

Although its been over five years since I've felt any great joy for my birthday:lol:

wildegirl05
If he's your Troiki then you should embrace other Robert fans the same way that Jess embraced other Troicki fans. There's no need to be possessive. :)

robert doesn't have traveling pants :p

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Wow he would get you cheap - so he claps and you think "I must buy his music"

You're a marketer's dream, lady.

I was using HYPERBOLE. :rolleyes: Show a little subtlety, will you?

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:20 AM
I was using HYPERBOLE. :rolleyes: Show a little subtlety, will you?
So was I - if you can use hyperbole, why can't I :p

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
For what it's worth, I don't recall you using the word "July." I think you said "next month." I'm not bothered enough to search myself. :shrug: I have no real motive to lie.

I'll be Adam's understudy. The next time he's away at a tournament (USO?), it'll be my turn to shine. :)

:lol: I wasn't really doubting you. I was wondering when I mentioned it:lol::hug: Oh you will catch up in a while I'm sure. You have the potential:yeah:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Why don't we just go with Narnia? I happen to (still) have a great fondness for those books.

Oooh. Narnia was my ALL TIME favorite series when I was a kid. I still re-read them. CS Lewis has really brilliant imagery and the books are as appealing to me as an adult as they were when I was 10.

I also like A Wrinkle in Time. :inlove:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
My view is that I neither want nor expect GM or anywhere else on here to be like Walton's Mountain, but that doesn't mean it should be a free-for-all either. We've see what happens - it gets nasty, I mean really nasty.

What bugs me most is that so little of it is about tennis, and is instead about attacking other posters. It's like - you know, if you want to have a heated disagreement with another poster in a tennis discussion, fair enough - but often it seems like this being a tennis forum - the tennis is just a pretext for a bunch of posters to spend their time slagging each other off, and the actual tennis under discussion is purely incidental. More than anything it gets tedious. A line has to be drawn somewhere to try and keep tennis discussion threads about tennis.

my personal issue with this view is that who decides what's a real tennis discussion in all this? posters like PMK, stebs, merton, ExpectedWinner etc. have their fair share of detractors because they discuss things differently. i'm not saying they're all the same but my point is that the board is what its members make of it. there's a range of expectations of people who come to this message board and there's definitely room for having tennis discussions. i think the problem comes when you try to convince people who don't want to be convinced, that you're (general "you") in the right and they're in the wrong. arguing with someone like gu is always going to go nowhere fast. but there are many reasonable posters around and you can have discussions with them and ignore the annoying buzzing. they post but no one is forced to respond or acknowledge them. imo, anyways :shrug:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
So was I - if you can use hyperbole, why can't I :p

;)

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:24 AM
The point is that Jess embraces other fans. The reason they appreciate Troicki is not germane to this conversation.

my point was that the traveling pants were the reason she's able to share. traveling pants are for sharing. if troicki has them, he's shareable. robert doesn't :shrug: the pants make the man :worship:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:28 AM

and you delivered a chocolatey vision :worship:

Fedal fangirl. :rolleyes: :p

I guess I should at least commend them for not shoving him off that roof....

fedal :woohoo: :D

that was definitely a plus :lol: rogi would not be pleased to wake up and find that nole is now the #2 in the world because of gavin:devil:

Actually most of it was spent traveling. If it were just for the birthday I wouldn't go. But since its close to the July 4th weekend I decided to go:)

it's in july and around the weekend of the 4th and your age changed recently. that only leaves 8 days in contention, you should save us some guesswork and tell us the exact date :D

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:29 AM
my personal issue with this view is that who decides what's a real tennis discussion in all this? posters like PMK, stebs, merton, ExpectedWinner etc. have their fair share of detractors because they discuss things differently. i'm not saying they're all the same but my point is that the board is what its members make of it. there's a range of expectations of people who come to this message board and there's definitely room for having tennis discussions. i think the problem comes when you try to convince people who don't want to be convinced, that you're (general "you") in the right and they're in the wrong. arguing with someone like gu is always going to go nowhere fast. but there are many reasonable posters around and you can have discussions with them and ignore the annoying buzzing. they post but no one is forced to respond or acknowledge them. imo, anyways :shrug:

I do see what you're saying. I personally find it annoying and near impossible to have a discussion with people about a match (the turning point was here when X hit that great backhand and then started to be more aggressive and Y got nervous) when the match thread is polluted and overrun with "mug match", "moonballer", "he's not a moonballer you r a moron", "i don't listen to the opinion of a fanboy like you - he's a moonballer", "YEAH WOO X is GRAT and Y SUX!!1!1!" type postings.

I don't know what the answer is - just feels to me that on GM where I spend a lot of time, there's remarkably little discussion of actual tennis. a lot of discussion about players and their traits but not so much on the way the matches actually happen.

Maybe I need to be more tolerant.

No that's not it - I just need to nuke people who annoy me :)

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
it's in july and around the weekend of the 4th and your age changed recently. that only leaves 8 days in contention, you should save us some guesswork and tell us the exact date :D

Well I haven't really preserved an air of mystery here like the rest of you. So that 8 day range is all you get:D

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:33 AM

:rolls: scoobs for GM mod :rocker2:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "traveling pants," as applied to Troicki, are figurative in nature. If that's the case, what does Troick have going for him that Robert does not? Even if they are different, surely Robert has other virtues. Or do you, as one of Robert's first and best fans, believe that he's inadequate or "less of a man"?

For both our sakes, I hope you just agree that we should drop this and you should allow me appreciate Robert without voicing your displeasure. :D

(Cheryl, this would be an opportune time to say "Semantics.")

Semantics. :lol:

Did everyone in this thread know that Rafael Nadal is the newly crowned Wimbledon champion? I wasn't sure it had been mentioned in the past couple pages.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I do see what you're saying. I personally find it annoying and near impossible to have a discussion with people about a match (the turning point was here when X hit that great backhand and then started to be more aggressive and Y got nervous) when the match thread is polluted and overrun with "mug match", "moonballer", "he's not a moonballer you r a moron", "i don't listen to the opinion of a fanboy like you - he's a moonballer", "YEAH WOO X is GRAT and Y SUX!!1!1!" type postings.

I don't know what the answer is - just feels to me that on GM where I spend a lot of time, there's remarkably little discussion of actual tennis. a lot of discussion about players and their traits but not so much on the way the matches actually happen.

Maybe I need to be more tolerant.

on a serious note, i think MTF is best described as the grotty, run down, loud neighborhood bar where all the obnoxious people crowd the bartender and want their drink at the exact same time. it's dirty, dingy and there may be many other places that are nicer but it has it's charm and that's why people stick around. you might miss those loud drunks if/when you leave ;)

the match thread is EXACTLY like watching a match in a bar, isn't it? everyone is yelling really insane stuff. :rolls: maybe this is exactly how my cousins and i used to follow cricket matches and that's why it's all endearing to me :tape:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Semantics. :lol:

Did everyone in this thread know that Rafael Nadal is the newly crowned Wimbledon champion? I wasn't sure it had been mentioned in the past couple pages.
Would I therefore be correct in saying he pulled off a remarkable Roland Garros/Wimbledon double in the same year for the first time in 28 years?

Metis
07-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Your Metis-sense went off. :rolls:

:lol:

:drool: Thanks for the cake Metis:D.

Although its been over five years since I've felt any great joy for my birthday:lol:

:eek: why is that?

robert doesn't have traveling pants :p

Doesn't matter. His pants can fit more than one person at the same time so you and BD will be fine. :D

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "traveling pants," as applied to Troicki, are figurative in nature. If that's the case, what does Troicki have going for him that Robert does not? Even if they are different, surely Robert has other virtues. Or do you, as one of Robert's first and best fans, believe that he's inadequate or "less of a man"?

For both our sakes, I hope you just agree that we should drop this and you should allow me appreciate Robert without voicing your displeasure. :D

(Cheryl, this would be an opportune time to say "Semantics.")

do you not know me at all? :lol:

traveling pants, as i apply it to troicki, indicate a willingness to stray. the pants made me do it, is what comes to mind.

Or do you, as one of Robert's first and best fans, believe that he's inadequate or "less of a man"?

why would you assume having traveling pants is something that makes troicki superior to robert? federer (sr.) is betterer for having stay-at-home pants :D

and in all fairness, i don't object to robert having new fans. it's the idea of ones who primarily want to maim him being hailed as his fanboys that i find unsavory :D

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Would I therefore be correct in saying he pulled off a remarkable Roland Garros/Wimbledon double in the same year for the first time in 28 years?

SINCE BJORN BORG. Don't forget that part. Whenever you mention Wimbledon or Roland Garros, the Borg comparison must be made. It's some sort of law now.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Doesn't matter. His pants can fit more than one person at the same time so you will be fine. :D

fixed :angel:

Metis
07-10-2008, 02:45 AM

RAFAEL NADAL

ROLAND GARROS & WIMBLEDON 2008 CHAMPION

http://planetsmilies.net/angry-smiley-225.gif

cmurray
You know, it strikes me as altogether possible that BD hasn't actually read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

scoobs
SINCE BJORN BORG. Don't forget that part. Whenever you mention Wimbledon or Roland Garros, the Borg comparison must be made. It's some sort of law now.
Surely you mean SINCE THE LEGENDARY BJORN BORG????

wildegirl05

hema should get some sort of v-cash credit anytime someone makes a reference to borg and rafa in the same sentence in this thread. she's the borg of rafa-thread-starters. :worship:

-donates 0.001 v-cash to hema-

Metis
07-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Someone needs to photoshop a shark in this photo: :lol:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2694/rafaelnadalbikinibabe03jn2.jpg

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
I knew this poking with a stick thing would get you into trouble.

It's best to do as warriorroger does and put your weird fetishes in their own thread somewhere, or not mention them at all :)

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Surely you mean SINCE THE LEGENDARY BJORN BORG????

Redundant.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:53 AM
I had to Wikipedia it. I'm rather nonplussed by the premise, honestly.
Me too. It sounds rather...vapid.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Let's start at the beginning: of course I don't know you well at all. You would have to be incredibly vapid and lacking in depth for me to know you well after a month of intermittent and random tennis-related chats.

I won't even pretend to understand the rest of your post. Maybe I'm the vapid one. :shrug: I will however say that I never wanted to maim Roger Federer. If you bothered to read (or remember) my first stick-related post, you'd know that I first wanted to invite him "'round for tea." I also added that I would only (gently) poke him with a stick if he was up for it. :)

i didn't say "know me well", you randomly added a clause so the rest of your vapid comparisons don't seem relevant to me. :D

i know you didn't want to main Roger. we're talking about Robert, Rogi's dad. :inlove:

where i come from, expressing a desire to poke guests in the belly with a stick is referred to under the category of maiming :sad: maybe i come from a genteel place.:awww:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I knew this poking with a stick thing would get you into trouble.

It's best to do as warriorroger does and put your weird fetishes in their own thread somewhere, or not mention them at all :)

warriorroger :rolls: is he still around? IW'07 must have made his YEAR :haha:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:59 AM
hema should get some sort of v-cash credit anytime someone makes a reference to borg and rafa in the same sentence in this thread. she's the borg of rafa-thread-starters. :worship:

I don't mean to brag or anything, but putting Borg in the tournament thread titles was MY idea. Funny how Hema got all the credit for that....:(

:speakles: When did this happen? We must inform the good people of GM at once!

*gasp* and the media should be notified as well. I can't believe they've kept is so hush-hush. :speakles:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 03:01 AM
I had to Wikipedia it. I'm rather nonplussed by the premise, honestly.

They're not as awful as they sound, actually. Although I admit that the actual pants bit is a bit on the cheesy side.

hra87
07-10-2008, 03:07 AM
sisterhood of the travelling pants :tape:

I think my senior year of high school some girl in class mentioned something that involved pants and all the guys laughed at the name and then all the girls started talking about it feverishly. A few years later I saw the add for the movie, and finally understood what the hell it was.

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't mean to brag or anything, but putting Borg in the tournament thread titles was MY idea. Funny how Hema got all the credit for that....:(

you should work out some sort of agreement with hema :hug:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 03:09 AM
sisterhood of the travelling pants :tape:

I think my senior year of high school some girl in class mentioned something that involved pants and all the guys laughed at the name and then all the girls started talking about it feverishly. A few years later I saw the add for the movie, and finally understood what the hell it was.

there's apparently a part 2 coming out soon :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1018785/

Metis
07-10-2008, 03:12 AM
The greatest part about that movie was the island of Santorini, one of my favorite places in Greece :inlove:

tennizen
07-10-2008, 03:12 AM
:eek: why is that?

:lol: Nothing that shocking. It's just that birthday's are not as exciting as when I was younger. Now even if its a birthday you have to work, think of a million things and just be bored like usual:lol:

:worship: me and :worship: to WG for recognizing that:lol:

hra87
07-10-2008, 03:14 AM
The greatest part about that movie was the island of Santorini, one of my favorite places in Greece :inlove:

To americans, that is the totality of greece. Just like in paris, where la vie en rose is playing on every street corner.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM

The first time I was the one who put it in the title for French Open "Attempt to attain Borgian Status on Clay":rolls: I give you credit for insisting I repeat that in the Wimbledon thread:hug: I will give you 10% of my v-cash earnings:hug:

Metis
07-10-2008, 03:16 AM
:lol: Nothing that shocking. It's just that birthday's are not as exciting as when I was younger. Now even if its a birthday you have to work, think of a million things and just be bored like usual:lol:

That's true :sad:

OK I'm off to watch the Wimbledon final :banana:

Metis
07-10-2008, 03:18 AM
To americans, that is the totality of greece. Just like in paris, where la vie en rose is playing on every street corner.

:lol: don't forget the Greek salad :haha:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm not bothered enough to read back. I will concede that point. As for relevance, well, this entire discussion is fairly irrelevant, so I have no problem conceding that point either. :D
It's hardly "maiming" if I have his consent. Besides:

maim http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png –verb (used with object)
1.to deprive of the use of some part of the body by wounding or the like;
2.to impair; make essentially defective

this entire discussion is cracktastic :rolls: i sincerely hope robert federer never reads this thread :cool:

his tummy will never be the same again :awww:

wildegirl05
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM

:awww: birthdays are for going out and having fun :banana:

:worship: me and :worship: to WG for recognizing that:lol:

now your campaign finances can cope with claire and her treasure chest, hema :hug:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 05:05 AM
For the record, I am not a "Rafatard." However, I am a "fanboy" through and through.

Well, I allegedly only post here to insult the fangirls.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 05:09 AM

Deal with it, it's fun posting where only very few like you.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
We're not all cut out to be villains.

As for being a villain, it's very subjective. There are a few people that like me and others would like me to take on a cement truck, like I said before, if those idiots liked me, it would be worse.

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM

admit it, seth didnt get a single friendly vote while you, bubba and myself all did

scoobs
07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
admit it, seth didnt get a single friendly vote while you, bubba and myself all did
Adam wasn't scared to whore himself out for votes, that's for sure :)

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
It's funny to see so many Ducktards bitching about Fedtards being glory hunters... Is this a coincidence that most Ducktards turned into Rafatards (TGS, BGT, Tangy, etc...)? :confused: It must be just a coincidence, those can't be glory hunters obviously :angel: :lol:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Well of course the Ducks are going to enjoy Nadal, because he stops Federer winning regularly.

adee-gee
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
:lol: I don't think your GF would be worried even if you didn't send the picture. You strike me as the faithful and devoted type of BF:D
I honestly would never cheat on someone, even if Sania ( :hearts: ) came along I wouldn't cheat on my g/f. One of my best friends had a long term partner cheat on them and I saw how badly it affected them, I'd never do that to someone. I joke with my g/f, and she does the same back with her "Orlando :inlove: :hearts:" but it's all in good fun :o
Hemmers just had a birthday!
Oooh, happy belated birthday Hema :smooch: :hug: hope you had a lovely day :aparty:
Awww. Will you post the picture for us too? :awww:
:rolls: I forgot you like cats :p it was only a little picture with my mobile phone, I'm staying with her for a week so I'll take some good ones and post them :D
BD, the charmer. I always thought Adam was the charmer around here but you are fast catching up:D
According to GWH I'm a brown nose :sad:
Whatever happened to mandoura anyway?
She pops back every so often, I think she had problems with her computer. She's lovely.

Though she's another Fedaltard who prefers Federer :armed:
I'll be Adam's understudy. The next time he's away at a tournament (USO?), it'll be my turn to shine.
Good luck :hug: big boots to fill :p *hopes scoobs doesn't read this* :scared:
As for being a villain, it's very subjective. There are a few people that like me and others would like me to take on a cement truck, like I said before, if those idiots liked me, it would be worse.
Come here Georgypoo, let me give you a big :hug:
Seth's a good looking boy, no doubt.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Well of course the Ducks are going to enjoy Nadal, because he stops Federer winning regularly.

That's obvious indeed, they will never admit it though, as I said many times, lots of people here bandwagon anyone who beats Fed... The day Spadea flukes a win against Roger his bandwagon will derail for sure... And yet they claim being tennis fans... :zzz:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, Adam you are a brown nose, but I wouldn't expect it any other way.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
That's obvious indeed, they will never admit it though, as I said many times, lots of people here bandwagon anyone who beats Fed... The day Spadea flukes a win against Roger his bandwagon will derail for sure... And yet they claim being tennis fans... :zzz:

I mean you are a bit sensitive towards it, at the same time it's far from surprising that this is happening, it would be easier if people were honest enough to accept this.

At the same time there will be Federer fans ditching him now, because he isn't winning as much.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I mean you are a bit sensitive towards it, at the same time it's far from surprising that this is happening, it would be easier if people were honest enough to accept this.

At the same time there will be Federer fans ditching him now, because he isn't winning as much.

Don't get me wrong, every fanbase has its share of retards, but look at most Ducktards here, according to them, every single Fedtard is a delusional tool and is just some pathetic glory hunter... They're bitter for so long I guess I can't understand what they went through those past 5 years... Hope for them they won't be that bitter for their entire lives :awww: :hug: :o

martine2
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM

That contest was fun :aplot:

martine2
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, every fanbase has its share of retards, but look at most Ducktards here, according to them, every single Fedtard is a delusional tool and is just some pathetic glory hunter... They're bitter for so long I guess I can't understand what they went through those past 5 years... Hope for them they won't be that bitter for their entire lives :awww: :hug: :o

Only the ones of the top players have :)

scoobs
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't know - I'm such a Ledovskikhtard :)

rocketassist
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Roddick tards are generally known for disliking the players who kick his arse on a regular basis- i.e. bitterness.

martine2
07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't know - I'm such a Ledovskikhtard :)

:lol: I always knew you were unique...

dorkino
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
:wavey: Good morning/evening all. :hug:

Just a rapid stop by to say missed you. Haven't got the chance to go through all the pages (Metis, plzzzz, don't say u're gonna quit summarizing? i'm now addicted to it :D ).

Hope u're all still enjoying the joy of celebration without being so much affected by the crazy rage on GM. It's hard for me to believe how far the dislike for Rafael has gone over boundaries with all the rubbish sigs and implies about doping /death of tennis, blah blah blah... i mean do they really believe so :cuckoo: or do people post these only for teasing purposes :baby: ??
The last couple of days weren't definitely my best days work wise and concerning some other news but i'm still having my share of joy for Rafa. :D

I'm working on getting the final match downloaded but it'll take a lot of time. Guess it'll be more fun to watch now , knowing the result and remembering how i was terribly spent while watching it live. :lol:

Happy belated birthday Hema. :hug: And you're still too young to not get excited by your birthday celebrations, sweet lady.

:wavey:

martine2
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
:wavey: Good morning/evening all. :hug:

Just a rapid stop by to say missed you. Haven't got the chance to go through all the pages (Metis, plzzzz, don't say u're gonna quit summarizing? i'm now addicted to it :D ).

Hope u're all still enjoying the joy of celebration without being so much affected by the crazy rage on GM. It's hard for me to believe how far the dislike for Rafael has gone over boundaries with all the rubbish sigs and implies about doping /death of tennis, blah blah blah... i mean do they really believe so :cuckoo: or do people post these only for teasing purposes :baby: ??
The last couple of days weren't definitely my best days work wise and concerning some other news but i'm still having my share of joy for Rafa. :D

I'm working on getting the final match downloaded but it'll take a lot of time. Guess it'll be more fun to watch now , knowing the result and remembering how i was terribly spent while watching it live. :lol:

Happy belated birthday Hema. :hug: And you're still too young to not get excited by your birthday celebrations, sweet lady.

:wavey:

I second that :rocker2:

Happy belated BD Hema :hug:

anon57
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi thread:wavey:
Happy belated Birthday Hema:hug:

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
happy birthday Hemmers
you share birthday with a cousin of mine who is 19 today

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Genci, well done on that schooling of TGS, it was good stuff.

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 12:14 PM

too easy, guy likes to act smart but repeating RFK's lines is not the way

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
too easy, guy likes to act smart but repeating RFK's lines is not the way

RFK is an idiot anyway, but definitely not. As for schooling, there are a few people that I have had to expose for their lack of a clue., sawan is the latest.

Castafiore
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I need some coffee. I wanted to goodrep somebody in GM and I actually goodrepped one of the biggest trolls in there instead, praising his/her good comments. :spit:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Hilde, you never good rep me.

Castafiore
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I have done so in the past. :shrug:

I don't good rep that often, though.
I tend to want to good rep the same small group of people and given the system, there is a huge gap of time in between good reps.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
RFK is an idiot anyway, but definitely not. As for schooling, there are a few people that I have had to expose for their lack of a clue., sawan is the latest.
I don't understand why people are so anxious to rush to judgement over the damn match - a bit of historical perspective will lead to much clearer insights as to whether it actually deserves to be considered the greatest - which in itself is a concept nobody will ever agree on - like the silly GOAT debate.

You can't even establish a set of criteria to agree on that would be used as a basis for reaching a judgement so the best anyone can hope for is "this is the best Grand Slam final I have ever watched." And then of course people want to foist that view on others to be universally accepted. It's boring.

And what is this need to always define the best, the greatest, the most exceptional, the most amazing....

I know it's a human tendency but it causes so much headache in situations where there's no agreed standard for comparison - like a 100m sprinter, they have a fastest time, there are obvious benchmarks to refer to. In tennis it's so subjective as to what constitutes a great match. For some the fact Federer was 1/13 on bps means it can't have been a great match, for others the fact that the crowd got so involved and it was getting dark and so on means it was a great match regardless of the quality of the tennis.

Can't we just say it was a good match, probably one of the better finals and leave it at that?

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Hilde, I just was being silly. I just had a rant on GM and feel better.

Scoobs, well that would be too much, yes it was a good match, but some dickhead trying to tell me it's the greatest ever. I'm not going to put up with that, unless they are prepared to back it up with something, plus the concept is so fluid anyway.

The same people say the media said so, then it has to be good, then they are the same ones who bitch, when the media writes something unfavourable.

dorkino
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Orignially posted by Scoobs
I know it's a human tendency but it causes so much headache in situations where there's no agreed standard for comparison - like a 100m sprinter, they have a fastest time, there are obvious benchmarks to refer to. In tennis it's so subjective as to what constitutes a great match. For some the fact Federer was 1/13 on bps means it can't have been a great match, for others the fact that the crowd got so involved and it was getting dark and so on means it was a great match regardless of the quality of the tennis.

Can't we just say it was a good match, probably one of the better finals and leave it at that?

I hope we can.

But on another note, and really i'm not searching for another debate here, but why do people keep talking about Fed's bp conversions (1/13). Rafa had not got an amazing one in that match. If i remember well, it was (4/13). It's not that great either .
IMHO, this means both guys weren't feeling that normal in that day cos each one of them was exerting pressure on the other.

It's true, some of those were really silly mistakes , but honestly i think Fed. didn't lose the match only cos he involuntarily missed some easy BPs. Don't know why it is so hard to admit for some but Rafa simply happened to be the better man that day. He was more solid and in more than one occasion he grabbed his share of winners and on crucial moments managed to push the bigger pressure on the other guy.

Castafiore
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
The same people say the media said so, then it has to be good, then they are the same ones who bitch, when the media writes something unfavourable.
True.

If I would nominate "the best ever" matches. It would probably feature my favorite tennis players just because they give me the most fun watching them play the game. :shrug:
You won't see me disagreeing with the nomination of that famous Borg vs McEnroe 1980 Wimbledon final for a simple reason that this is the match through which I discovered tennis (back then, just about the only tournaments we were able to see on tv were Wimbledon and the French Open) and started being a fan of John McEnroe. It's a personal preference.
I really can't be bothered to set up objective criteria to find "the best grand slam final ever" for the simple reason that I didn't see them all and it wouldn't be a fair thing to do. I tried to avoid looking at Sampras finals (the only final of him I watched from start to finish was the Hewitt US Open final) for example.
Furthermore, and I have said this before, I usually find it hard to compare tennis players from different eras.

As a Nadal fan, this one will certainly end up being one of my favorite matches of him. (the Rome final against Coria still ranks very high for me as well). I have no problem admitting that it's a subjective choice.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
dorkino, why bring it up, if you didn't want to debate it.

It's simple, the player who was clutch and converted their chances won and deserved it, so of course when Federer made schoolboy errors on many of those break chances, then he deserves to be criticised.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Fangirls who drool all over those "latino" boys are probably the worst of all :o :D :p

Roddick tards are generally known for disliking the players who kick his arse on a regular basis- i.e. bitterness.

It still amazes me how they all jumped on Nadal bandwagon, it's not like those two guys have the same playing style or anything... :shrug: :angel: :o

:worship: where is that? :confused:

She never repped me either :mad: :ras: :o

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
JM, I think it was in the Fed-Nadal match thread, where Genci did it.

The greatest ever final, was where I had to rant.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think we can criticize somebody for saying "that's the best match I've ever seen". It may well have been the best match they've ever seen. I personally can't think of one that was "better" for me.

The problem comes when you say "That was the greatest match ever played". Says whom and what criteria do you use to make such an assertion? You can't state as fact, something that is obviously a matter of opinion..

dorkino
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
dorkino, why bring it up, if you didn't want to debate it.

It's simple, the player who was clutch and converted their chances won and deserved it, so of course when Federer made schoolboy errors on many of those break chances, then he deserves to be criticised.

George, i brought it up here in this thread. Where i'll get support from my fellow Rafatards, so at least we won't get about 10,00000 posts of unreasonable fighting GM wise :p. Or will we able to make it here as well?? :scared:

I'm with you on this principle but i'm just wondering If Fed had been able to win this, after those 5 sets, how many poster would've been mentioning his break points conversion and How many would be speaking of his magical artisitic and fighting abilities against the tennis killer ??

Don't know , perhaps it's my obsessiveness but too much talking about bp conversions of only one player can be misleading. That's my main point if you get what i mean.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
JM, I think it was in the Fed-Nadal match thread, where Genci did it.

I'll go have a look ;) I love it when people toys with TGS :)

The greatest ever final, was where I had to rant.

You did some good stuff over there... ;)

I don't think we can criticize somebody for saying "that's the best match I've ever seen".

Of course, you can't either criticize those who think that Baghy-Fed from 07 Cincinnati is the best match they've ever seen... :shrug: :o

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Of course, you can't either criticize those who think that Baghy-Fed from 07 Cincinnati is the best match they've ever seen... :shrug: :o

Criticize? No.

Feel bloody sorry for them and insist they watch much more tennis immediately - absolutely.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
dorkino, it's not the point. Since when did Rafa on about half of those break points on 2nd serves hit 300km an hour serves with topspin that bounced 3m high.

Nadal was clutch, that's all it comes down to. Down 2-4 and wins 4 games in a row in the 2nd set he had fuck all bp chances at that time.

Only reason his stats blew out, were because Fed had to serve aces to save the bps, but even then it was better.

Doesn't matter the right man won the match, why it can't be left there.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:52 PM

:ras:

You know what I meant.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Feel bloody sorry for them and insist they watch much more tennis immediately - absolutely.

I agree, but I feel the same for those who think that this last Sunday's final was the best match ever too :o :)

tennizen
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
JM:hug: I love how you are defending Rafito in your signature. You are such a kind-hearted soul:hug:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
dorkino, it's not the point. Since when did Rafa on about half of those break points on 2nd serves hit 300km an hour serves with topspin that bounced 3m high.

Nadal was clutch, that's all it comes down to. Down 2-4 and wins 4 games in a row in the 2nd set he had fuck all bp chances at that time.

Only reason his stats blew out, were because Fed had to serve aces to save the bps, but even then it was better.

George, I think that's the most complimentary thing I've ever seen you say about Rafa. :eek:

All true, of course. When was the last time Federer was broken twice in a ROW on grass?

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
JM:hug: I love how you are defending Rafito in your signature. You are such a kind-hearted soul:hug:

Yes, I'm mad at those jealous haters :fiery: :shout: :bigcry: :sad:

Btw, happy belated bday Hema dear :hug: :hug:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree, but I feel the same for those who think that this last Sunday's final was the best match ever too :o :)

That's just because you did not get the result you wanted. Had Federer won that match, you'd be leading the parade.

I can say that the Pete/Andre qf at the US Open was one of the best I've ever seen even though the result broke my heart.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
The question you need to ask yourself is that if Federer had taken one of his fifth set break points and served it out, would you think it was the best match or would you still think it sucked?

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
The question you need to ask yourself is that if Federer had taken one of his fifth set break points and served it out, would you think it was the best match or would you still think it sucked?

jinx. :D

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, I'm mad at those jealous haters :fiery: :shout: :bigcry: :sad:

Btw, happy belated bday Hema dear :hug: :hug:

JM, that sort of hatred for Rafito is sure to melt hardened souls like you also:hug::p

Thanks for the bday wishes:D

I don't think JM is the guy to ask this question. He really is a fair and balanced guy and if he says its not the best final ever then its not:shrug: I always take his word on such matters when I am unable to decide:shrug:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Criticize? No.

I love having fun with idiots who can't make up their own minds and yes I am referring to that clown in GM.

dorkino
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM

I've really already left it there , happy for it and said it before. I don't and apparently (which is nice) not you either think of bp conversion as the only reason for Fed losing the match . Others do see it this way and i don't agree with them. :angel:

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
That's just because you did not get the result you wanted. Had Federer won that match, you'd be leading the parade.

I can say that the Pete/Andre qf at the US Open was one of the best I've ever seen even though the result broke my heart.

Nope, if Fed had won that one (playing the same kind of crappy match, that is) I still wouldn't rate it that high... :o :)

I don't think JM is the guy to ask this question. He really is a fair and balanced guy and if he says its not the best final ever then its not:shrug: I always take his word on such matters when I am unable to decide:shrug:

Hema is the gal :cool: :rocker2: :D

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I've really already left it there , happy for it and said it before. I don't and apparently (which is nice) not you either think of bp conversion as the only reason for Fed losing the match . Others do see it this way and i don't agree with them. :angel:

I'm sorry I thought being able to convert on your break chances, especiallly when you have more of them, is the most usual way to win matches.

Not everyone can do a Michael Stich win a match 3-6 7-6 7-6 7-6 against Edberg and not break serve.

Taking your chances, well there is a reason why Rafa is ranked where he is and why he won. If you fail to acknowledge that it was a factor, then that's your problem and not mine.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I love having fun with idiots who can't make up their own minds and yes I am referring to that clown in GM.
If you really need John McEnroe, Bud Collins and L. John Wertheim to tell you what to think of something then it's a shame really. They can be useful for placing things in a wider context than your own personal experience of tennis, but I don't think any of the tennis pundits or commentators are immune to the tendency to get sucked into the moment and overblow it.

If some of them reviewed some of the "greatest matches of history" somewhat dispassionately in, say, 6 months time and formed a judgement on that basis then I might be more inclined to pay attention. As it is, it feels like more than a few of them have got caught up in a tent revival atmosphere and the greatness is self-reinforcing:

It was great wasn't it? Did you think it was great?

Yeah I thought it was great.

Greatest ever?

Yes absolutely. Greatest ever.

Yes I thought so too! Greatest ever!

Nothing else comes close!

Absolutely! Best match ever of all time.

No doubt about it man.

Well if he's saying it's the best ever and he's saying it, and he's saying it, then I'm gonna look dumb if I don't say it, so I will say it too. If we all tell ourselves enough, it must be true.

dorkino
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Obvious voter buying trial. :devil:

scarecrows
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
this is for Metis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/genci/rafito.jpg

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Obvious voter buying trial. :devil:

JM already voted for me:shrug:. This is just the purest respect I have for JM just like Rafito has for Federer:D

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
scoobs, well said man and sure many people dislike what I say, but at least I'm not someone who follows the herd.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
this is for Metis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/genci/rafito.jpg

dorkino
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by PMK is Innocent
I'm sorry I thought being able to convert on your break chances, especiallly when you have more of them, is the most usual way to win matches.

Not everyone can do a Michael Stich win a match 3-6 7-6 7-6 7-6 against Edberg and not break serve.

Taking your chances, well there is a reason why Rafa is ranked where he is and why he won. If you fail to acknowledge that it was a factor, then that's your problem and not mine.

:lol: George i'm really getting thicker due to age may be, but need to ask, you're using "you fail" and "your problem" as a figure of speech , not really referring to me? right?? Because i may not be clear but i did agree with your previous posts.

Referring to Stich/Edberg , it was a strange match, hated Edberg for it that day but Stich was playing so well in those last 3 sets.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
http://blog.tennisweek.com/?p=154

Here's an article related to the topic;)

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Snoop Dogg's love for Lendl

Rounding up the month's news and gossip from behind the scenes on the men's and women's tennis tours.

American magazine Sport Illustrated has unearthed the world's most unlikely tennis fan.

During an interview, rapper Snoop Dogg was asked which sport people would be surprised to know he liked.

He replied: "Tennis. I used to like Ivan Lendl. He was sharp. An old schooler. Make it happen and roll out. Now I like Venus and Serena, but Ivan was the truth."

Perhaps the All England Club might now be persuaded to invite the rapper-turned-actor over to Wimbledon in June.

Then we can all revel in the sight of Snoop and Cliff Richard exchanging pleasantries over a cup of tea in the Royal Box - and maybe even entertaining the Centre Court crowd with a duet.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
:lol: George i'm really getting thicker due to age may be, but need to ask, you're using "you fail" and "your problem" as a figure of speech , not really referring to me? right?? Because i may not be clear but i did agree with your previous posts.

Referring to Stich/Edberg , it was a strange match, hated Edberg for it that day but Stich was playing so well in those last 3 sets.

What are you agreeing? It definitely didn't sound like that.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
JM already voted for me:shrug:. This is just the purest respect I have for JM just like Rafito has for Federer:D

Exactly, your respect for me is a genuine as Rafa's repsect for Roger :o and that says a lot :angel: *whistle*

scoobs, well said man and sure many people dislike what I say, but at least I'm not someone who follows the herd.

Whos cares what others think? It's not like you gain anything kissing asses :shrug: :o

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
If you really need John McEnroe, Bud Collins and L. John Wertheim to tell you what to think of something then it's a shame really. They can be useful for placing things in a wider context than your own personal experience of tennis, but I don't think any of the tennis pundits or commentators are immune to the tendency to get sucked into the moment and overblow it.

If some of them reviewed some of the "greatest matches of history" somewhat dispassionately in, say, 6 months time and formed a judgement on that basis then I might be more inclined to pay attention. As it is, it feels like more than a few of them have got caught up in a tent revival atmosphere and the greatness is self-reinforcing:

It was great wasn't it? Did you think it was great?

Yeah I thought it was great.

Greatest ever?

Yes absolutely. Greatest ever.

Yes I thought so too! Greatest ever!

Nothing else comes close!

Absolutely! Best match ever of all time.

No doubt about it man.

Well if he's saying it's the best ever and he's saying it, and he's saying it, then I'm gonna look dumb if I don't say it, so I will say it too. If we all tell ourselves enough, it must be true.

I think perhaps you are worrying about this too much. Who cares if people are saying it's the greatest match they've ever seen? What possible harm can come from enthusiasm over what was a blockbuster match at the most prestigious tournament in the world, involving the two best players in the sport with a result that has all the makings of probably the biggest coup tennis has ever seen.

About fucking time, if you ask me. I've been waiting most of my life for the world to see in tennis what I see in it. I've had quite enough of tennis elitists who WANT this sport to be some sort of second tier country club sport. Why shouldn't people get excited about it? And if some of it is reactionary over-the-top enthusiasm? GREAT! It'll die down soon enough, but in the meantime? Tennis is FRONT PAGE NEWS.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Indeed, and I certainly respect that even though I don't always agree with you. I'd rather disagree with someone who knows their own mind than deal with people who make grandiose remarks with the benefit of all of 5 minutes of knowing what they're talking about like you see in GM.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Exactly, your respect for me is a genuine as Rafa's repsect for Roger :o and that says a lot :angel: *whistle*

:awww: You don't think Rafito genuinely respects Roger. But but he says "Roger's still the best". If you want I can tell your mom what an honor it was to chat with you on MTF:angel:

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I think perhaps you are worrying about this too much. Who cares if people are saying it's the greatest match they've ever seen? What possible harm can come from enthusiasm over what was a blockbuster match at the most prestigious tournament in the world, involving the two best players in the sport with a result that has all the makings of probably the biggest coup tennis has ever seen.

About fucking time, if you ask me. I've been waiting most of my life for the world to see in tennis what I see in it. I've had quite enough of tennis elitists who WANT this sport to be some sort of second tier country club sport. Why shouldn't people get excited about it? And if some of it is reactionary over-the-top enthusiasm? GREAT! It'll die down soon enough, but in the meantime? Tennis is FRONT PAGE NEWS.

Rafatardism at its best, hat off Cheryl :hatoff: :o

Would you still think the same, had Nadal lost the match eventually? :angel: :confused: :)

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
:awww: You don't think Rafito genuinely respects Roger. But but he says "Roger's still the best". If you want I can tell your mom what an honor it was to chat with you on MTF:angel:

:lol: yes, please call my mom, she'll be proud of her beloved son :angel: :D :p

And no, I don't think Rafito is genuine, same false modesty serenade as usual :zzz: :p

scoobs

I wouldn't say it worries me - I find it more amusing than anything else.

I also appreciate the benefits of the wider exposure - though I would say that most tennis is nowhere near as dramatic as that so a lot of the new interest it has gained will quickly diminish as the tour returns the grind of someone laying a smackdown on the likes of Calleri or Volandri or whatever. However, it it has succeeded in hooking some fans who only get pulled in and stick around, fair enough.

And unlike George seems to, I think having an emotional reaction to what's going on is just fine - I got as caught up in the drama of the match in the final games of the fifth set as anyone else did. Except I haven't let it overwhelm any sense of rational response to it either - what I think of the match is based on what I thought of the tennis and the way they played it as well as how the experience made me feel.

It has been a long while since a match has generated quite so much to talk about, though. Tiding me over an otherwise fairly tedious week, though I will try to catch some coverage of Stuttgart, Bastad, Gstaad and Newport from tomorrow.

cmurray

I thought the "He's still the best" comment was a tad....untrue. :rolls: Raf is what? 4-0 against Roger this year? But he is so used to appearing humble, he can't seem to help himself. Still, the effort is appreciated. There are plenty of guys who would have stood in front of that microphone and said "Yeah, well OBVIOUSLY I played better than Roger today".

I think Rafa was just trying really hard not to be smug.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought the "He's still the best" comment was a tad....untrue. :rolls:

Fuck you Rafa, I wish the next young gun that'll toy with him will make similar comments... :rolleyes:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Rafatardism at it's best, hat off Cheryl :hatoff: :o

Would you still think the same, had Nadal lost the match eventually? :angel: :confused: :)

Rafatardism at it's best because I like the fact that tennis is front page news? Whatever, dude.

Yes, I would think it was still great if Rafa had lost. I was devastated that Andre lost to Pete that time. Doesn't stop me from listing that match as one of my top 3 best matches ever watched. :shrug:

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I thought the "He's still the best" comment was a tad....untrue. :rolls: Raf is what? 4-0 against Roger this year? But he is so used to appearing humble, he can't seem to help himself. Still, the effort is appreciated. There are plenty of guys who would have stood in front of that microphone and said "Yeah, well OBVIOUSLY I played better than Roger today".

Something tells me you'll never see Rafa say

I am the best, no?

Just doesn't seem to be in his character.

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Rafatardism at it's best because I like the fact that tennis is front page news? Whatever, dude.

Yes, I would think it was still great if Rafa had lost. I was devastated that Andre lost to Pete that time. Doesn't stop me from listing that match as one of my top 3 best matches ever watched. :shrug:
Which one was that? The US Open QF, the Wimbledon F, some other?

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
:lol: yes, please call my mom, she'll be proud of her beloved son :angel: :D :p

And no, I don't think Rafito is genuine, same false modesty serenade as usual :zzz: :p

I agree Djokovic is certainly the better prototype:D No one can accuse him of non-genuineness.

:lol: If I were Federer I would be really pissed of at being called the best after being beaten so many times:lol: In fact the more I think about it, if I were a top tennis player, I would be like Djokovic. I have a massive ego, I don't like to give credit to my opponents( I don't give it even to my husband) and more importantly it would be fun to piss people off with arbitrary remarks:rolls:

bokehlicious

That match didn't deserve to make such headlines, they SHOULD have done it last Wimbledon, not this one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cmurray
I wouldn't say it worries me - I find it more amusing than anything else.

I also appreciate the benefits of the wider exposure - though I would say that most tennis is nowhere near as dramatic as that so a lot of the new interest it has gained will quickly diminish as the tour returns the grind of someone laying a smackdown on the likes of Calleri or Volandri or whatever. However, it it has succeeded in hooking some fans who only get pulled in and stick around, fair enough.

And unlike George seems to, I think having an emotional reaction to what's going on is just fine - I got as caught up in the drama of the match in the final games of the fifth set as anyone else did. Except I haven't let it overwhelm any sense of rational response to it either - what I think of the match is based on what I thought of the tennis and the way they played it as well as how the experience made me feel.

It has been a long while since a match has generated quite so much to talk about, though. Tiding me over an otherwise fairly tedious week, though I will try to catch some coverage of Stuttgart, Bastad, Gstaad and Newport from tomorrow.

My mistake then. My impression was that you took offense because people weren't discussing the final "rationally". :shrug: My apologies.

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
JM, of course it didn't and I hate to agree with you, but if Federer won, it would not have generated the same headlines.

Why, the guy who wins 5 times in a row, winning the 6th in a row, isn't as newsworthy as someone else winning pure and simple.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Which one was that? The US Open QF, the Wimbledon F, some other?

US Open qf. It is one of the few between them that was actually a quality match.

I stayed up until like 2 in the morning only to have Andre lose without ever having dropped serve. :sad:

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
:lol: If I were Federer I would be really pissed of at being called the best after being beaten so many times:lol:

That hypocrisy is just another point why Rafa is so bad for tennis:

- gamesmanship (time wasting, antics)
- crappy one-dimensional game
- hypocrite

:o :D

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
My mistake then. My impression was that you took offense because people weren't discussing the final "rationally". :shrug: My apologies.
Nah I'm not offended - don't really want to waste the energy getting mad at such things that I can't change. No need to apologise, I probably wasn't clear.

On another subject, I read somewhere that it was long past time they introduced a minimum light standard at Wimbledon and the French Open to take these decisions out of the hands of people who can be emotionally swayed or influenced by other factors. They should have a light meter system like they do for cricket and make decisions about play continuation based on that. Frankly it surprises me this hasn't already been done and at least 6 matches this year, including the final, were impacted by failing light, with consequences we can't know.

tennizen
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
That hypocrisy is just another point why Rafa is so bad for tennis:

- gamesmanship (time wasting, antics)
- crappy one-dimensional game
- hypocrite

:o :D

Also

-big ass
-big muscles
-long hair
-doper
-keep it within the family mentality

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
US Open qf. It is one of the few between them that was actually a quality match.

I stayed up until like 2 in the morning only to have Andre lose without ever having dropped serve. :sad:
Yeah that was a good one.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Fuck you Rafa, I wish the next young gun that'll toy with him will make similar comments... :rolleyes:

Oh, do be quiet. It's not like Roger's never done that. Roddick and Hewitt anyone? "There are tough comptition." "I have to play me best to beat them". Whatever. He could beat them playing with a baseball bat and flip flops. :rolleyes:

:lol: If I were Federer I would be really pissed of at being called the best after being beaten so many times:lol: In fact the more I think about it, if I were a top tennis player, I would be like Djokovic. I have a massive ego, I don't like to give credit to my opponents( I don't give it even to my husband) and more importantly it would be fun to piss people off with arbitrary remarks:rolls:

:rolls: Then we would have the "This is the thread where we laugh when Hema loses hahahahahahaha" thread. :p

That match didn't deserve to make such headlines, they SHOULD have done it last Wimbledon, not this one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And why is that? Because last year's result is more palatable to you? :o:p

jk. I agree that last year's final did not get the press it should have. It was an excellent match as well.

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
JM, of course it didn't and I hate to agree with you, but if Federer won, it would not have generated the same headlines.

Why, the guy who wins 5 times in a row, winning the 6th in a row, isn't as newsworthy as someone else winning pure and simple.

Of course not, Fed is a robot, he's too "boring" and nobody gives a shit had he won Wimbledon 25 times in a row :shrug:

I don't think Hewitt winning it back in 2002 was such a big deal, though it was a new winner as well...

People are just enjoying watching Fed lose nowadays, tennis is "in" again and worth the headlines...

Again, too bad Roger comes from a meaningless country and was not born in the mighty US... :rolleyes:

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Of course not, Fed is a robot, he's too "boring" and nobody gives a shit had he won Wimbledon 25 times in a row :shrug:

I don't think Hewitt winning it back in 2002 was such a big deal, though it was a new winner as well...

People are just enjoying watching Fed lose nowadays, tennis is "in" again and worth the headlines...

Again, too bad Roger comes from a meaningless country and was not born in the mighty US... :rolleyes:

Oh come on, Dr. Doom. Cheer up. You'll feel better when Rafa loses in the third round in Toronto. :hug:

bokehlicious
And why is that? Because last year's result is more palatable to you? :o:p

jk. I agree that last year's final did not get the press it should have. It was an excellent match as well.

Of course, 1 miserable Wimbledon title >>>>>>> 5 times champion.

Never in doubt :)

scoobs

Man, you are being way too bitter about this - come out of the bitter barn and play in the hay!

bokehlicious
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
You'll feel better when Rafa loses in the third round in Toronto. :hug:

I don't care about MM tourneys from now on, only slams matter :o :p

scoobs
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Of course, 1 miserable Wimbledon title >>>>>>> 5 times champion.

Never in doubt :)
We've already covered this - it would have been the same if Roger had won RG instead of Rafa taking his fourth.

Change ALWAYS >>>> Same result.

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Also

-big ass
-big muscles
-long hair
-doper
-keep it within the family mentality

don't forget

-ass picker
-yells Bamos!
-big ass (I know you already said that, but it bears repeating)
-moonballer

cmurray
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Man, you are being way too bitter about this - come out of the bitter barn and play in the hay!

Yea, JM. Come play. :bounce:
I don't care about MM tourneys from now on, only slams matter :o :p

:rolls: OK, Pete Sampras. :hatoff:

We've already covered this - it would have been the same if Roger had won RG instead of Rafa taking his fourth.

Change ALWAYS >>>> Same result.

Don't bother. :hug:

Action Jackson
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I got to admit, I better go and do some research and stop playing with this fool in that "best ever thread".