Sargsian is ready for Fourth Round vs. his friend Andre Agassi! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sargsian is ready for Fourth Round vs. his friend Andre Agassi!

Gigan
09-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Sargsian Wins Another Marathon To Reach Fourth Round

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180X250/sargsian_usopen1.jpg

Veteran Armenian Sargis Sargsian set a new endurance record en route to the fourth round of the US Open on Saturday. After toiling for more than five hours in the second round to defeat Athens gold medalist Nicolas Massu in five sets, Sargsian rallied from two sets down and later match point down to stun Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-6(4).

Sargsian needed 4 hrs., 39 mins. to stop Mathieu, with the final set alone lasting 94 minutes. No player has ever spent more time on court in back-to-back matches.

Sargsian advanced to meet close friend and mentor Andre Agassi – a player Sargsian admits he fears more than any other on the ATP circuit.

Gigan
09-05-2004, 01:33 PM
More pix are attached

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040904/capt.xnyf20609042213.us_open_xnyf206.jpg

Gigan
09-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Sarge:

"I don't know how I did it, I just kept fighting at the end," said Sargsian, who saved two match points at 6-5 down in the fifth set before winning the tiebreak 7-4.

"I felt a bit stiff before the start but I felt better than I did against Massu."

Daniel
09-05-2004, 01:45 PM
some good muscles in his arms :lick:

azza
09-05-2004, 01:56 PM
:eek: saved match points in his 2nd round and 3rd round :eek: :bowdown:

Gigan
09-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Sargsian Outlasts Mathieu in Grandstand Classic
by Greg Laub
Saturday, September 4, 2004

In what may go down as one of the greatest battles of the tournament, Sargis Sargsian and Paul-Henri Mathieu gutted it out in front of a delirious Grandstand crowd tonight, and when all was said and done, neither player left anything on the court.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_sargsian1_d06.jpg
Sargis Sargsian in an all out barn burner on Grandstand against Paul-Henri Mathieu in a third round match. Sargsian went on to win after five-sets.

After Mathieu jumped in front with a two-set lead, Sargsian took the next two, and it was then sent to a deciding fifth set.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_mathieu_d06.jpg
Paul-Henri Mathieu blasting away at opponent Sargis Sargsian in a third round match.

The final set went back and forth for more than an hour and a half -- that's right, an hour and 38 minute fifth set -- until finally reaching a tie-breaker, which Sargsian won 7-4, completing an amazing 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-6(4) come from behind victory.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_sargsian2_d06.jpg
A pumped up Sargis Sargsian defeated Paul-Henri Mathieu in a five-set third round barn burner on Grandstand Saturday night.

When Mathieu finally pushed the final shot into the net, Sargsian fell to the ground and put his hands over his face, then got up and fired tennis balls, his shirt -- anything he could find -- into the wild crowd.

It was a real shame that either player had to lose, but in the end, it was Sargsian who came through with the big points when he needed them most. and this coming off a thrilling five setter against Nicolas Massu on Thursday evening.

"It's hard to beat Massu's match," Sargsian said after his victory tonight. "We probably did today."

Not only did Sargsian come back from two sets down for the fourth time in his career, he did it by holding off two late match points. Serving at 5-5, Sargsian and Mathieu played into six heartwrenching deuces, with Mathieu finally holding serve. At 5-6, Sargsian was down 30-40 before getting it to duece, and then was facing another elimination point when Mathieu slapped a winner down the baseline. But Sargsian dug deep and win the final three points of the game to send the match to the decisive tie-break.

In the tie-break, Sargsian had a double match point, but did not let it get away, as Mathieu lofted a forehand long and sent the amplified fans into a frenzy.

The 31-year-old Armenian came into this year 7-7 in the US Open, and had never before gotten past the third round.

He will next face his good friend Andre Agassi in the fourth round, and he will do so after playing more than 12 hours in just three matches. Agassi has played just five.

Grandstand - MS - 3rd Round

Sargis Sargsian ARM 4 4 6 6 77

Paul-Henri Mathieu FRA 6 6 4 2 64

- Mathieu's last match win at a major before here was at 2002 Wimbledon.

- Sargsian is appearing in the US Open for the eighth time.

- Mathieu was injured until July of this year, and missed all three majors.

- The match time was four hours and 44 minutes.

poundcatt
09-05-2004, 02:25 PM
That was another great match to watch in this year's USO. The quality of play, fight from the players and unexpected twists and turns eg Baghdatis winning a set off Federer is amazing. and the USA coverage has been excellent as well, sometimes 12 hours a day.

star
09-05-2004, 02:28 PM
It was another spellbinding match. I was litterally holding my breath during some of the rallies.

jmp
09-05-2004, 02:45 PM
star, you are so right. :) From the time USA picked up the coverage until the conclusion, I was mesmerized by the shots, the crowd, the momentum swings, and the players' hearts. You could tell they both wanted it BAD. They fought to the death and still treated each other professionally. Pretty awesome.

Originally posted by Gigan
It was a real shame that either player had to lose,...

Gigan, thanks for the great article. :) This author seems to really understand the essence of the sport.

Fergie
09-05-2004, 02:59 PM
In the 4º round Sargis will say goodbye :wavey:

star
09-05-2004, 03:07 PM
star, you are so right. :) From the time USA picked up the coverage until the conclusion, I was mesmerized by the shots, the crowd, the momentum swings, and the players' hearts. You could tell they both wanted it BAD. They fought to the death and still treated each other professionally. Pretty awesome.

Gigan, thanks for the great article. :) This author seems to really understand the essence of the sport.

I think this was even better than the match with Massu because of the lack of personal dramatics and gamesmanship. I was pulling for Sargsian, but both players were worthy of winning.

I'm glad that Matthieu is playing well and fighting hard. I know this is a hard loss for him, but I hope he takes heart from it and continues to progress.

:bigclap: to USA for cutting away from the advertised match of the evening to show us the wonderful end of this great match. Also thanks to USA for showing some of the Rochus match. It was also terrific from what I saw. The U.S. Open crowds are being repaid in full for all the rain delays of last year. There have been marvelously exciting matches this year. YAY Grandstand Court!! :)

Aleksa's Laydee
09-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Sargie!!! :rocker2:

Gigan
09-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Do you know? -
Serge is also a good server.
At the moment he is the second
in the ace leaders list with 51 aces...

And leader is J.Johansson (SWE) - 66 aces!!!

List is attached...

LiZpHaIr
09-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Soggy!

Gigan
09-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Schedule at Arthur Ashe, 11.00 AM Start

1. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Nicolas Kiefer (GER)[19]
vs. Tim Henman (GBR)[5]

followed by
2. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Sargis Sargsian (ARM)
vs. Andre Agassi (USA)[6]

3. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Venus Williams (USA)[11]
vs. Lindsay Davenport (USA)[5]

Gigan
09-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Transcribed Interview

S. SARGSIAN/P. Mathieu

4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-6

An interview with:

SARGIS SARGSIAN

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Couple of easy matches back to back.

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Yeah. It's exciting.

Q. How tired are you?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I'm tired, but, I tell you, my legs, they going to hang in there, I think. I think I'm mentally tired, you know, with all this stuff. But just for me the most important thing is my legs.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_sargsian_d06.jpg
Q. Can you describe your emotions after tonight's match, when you fell to the ground there.

SARGIS SARGSIAN: You know, it's just such a relief. Such a close match, you want to win so badly. It's one of your biggest matches. I don't know. It's an amazing feeling, I tell you.

Q. Could you ever imagine after the Massu match that you'd come back and have such a similar match in terms of length and excitement?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I'll tell you, no, definitely not. Definitely I didn't think it would be a match like this. It's hard to beat Massu's match. We probably did today. So I don't know.

Q. Have you stopped smiling since the end of the match?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I tell you what, when you -- it's like you're in a different world when you win these matches. You don't even always smile. Like right now, I'm talking, I feel like it's not me talking, you know, it's just the words don't come out. It's a weird feeling.

Q. Can you try and describe it.

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Gosh. I don't know, it's tough to describe.

Q. You're down two sets tonight. What in you told you you had enough left to come back and win three?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I just -- the first two sets, I didn't feel like I was playing my best. So that just kept me positive, you know. I always felt like if I would find my game, I would have a good chance to win, even though I was down two sets. So it was like the whole first three sets, you know, I felt like I was in a search of my game. And I was lucky. I picked it up, my game, in the third and fourth.

Q. In 1995, you were one match away from meeting Andre in the Round of 16. At that time it would be a great opportunity. How excited are you to play Andre in a Grand Slam?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: It's like a dream, you know, to play against such a legend on such a court, on such a big tournament. I don't know. Hopefully I play good. Hopefully we have a good match. Hopefully he doesn't kill me (smiling). I don't know. Hopefully I'm fresh for that match.

Q. Did you speak with him in the last days?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Yeah. I've spoken to him every day. He's actually been unbelievable helpful to me. After Massu's match, he helped me out with some electrolytes, with some pills to recover, which he's been using. He's just an amazing friend. I actually spoke to him five minutes ago. He says he's going to help me out tomorrow also, even though we play each other. I don't know.

Q. Is it because of the Armenian roots, one of the reasons why you get along very well with him?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Maybe. Maybe it is a reason, but I don't think so. I mean, I don't know. You should ask him why. I mean, because we are friends - I've said this before - because we are friends, it's because he wants to be my friend. He is Agassi, everybody wants to be friends with him. To me, he's like a big brother, you know. He's an unbelievably nice guy. He's an unbelievable friend, as good of a friend as you can possibly have. I just look at him as a big brother. The way he talks to people, the way he treats good people, the way he treats bad people, the way he talks, the way he behaves, just I don't know. He's -- I love the guy.

Q. If you had to put your finger on his very best quality, the thing you really like the best about him, what would you say?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: His heart. He has an amazing heart.

Q. What's it like to practice with him?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: It's good practice (smiling). The intensity's as high as it possibly can get. It's the best practice you can get.

Q. Are your matches being televised back in Armenia? Are people at home able to watch any of this?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I don't know. I don't know.

Q. We don't know too much about Armenia. Is there a special bond amongst Armenians in the USA? What's the best quality of the Armenian people?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: They're very friendly people. They're the kind of people that, let's say if you're a guest or something, you will be treated -- I say they will open the best bottle of wine for you. They will not drink it themselves. It's very, I don't know, very good people.

Q. Who is the most famous athlete in Armenia?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Agassi.

Q. Who is the most famous Armenian athlete? Not you?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I don't know. I mean, I don't know. There's so many. It's hard to say. It's only Armenians, play for other countries. Armenian who is playing for Armenia?

Q. Just any sport. Is there a soccer player, boxer?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Do you want me to say me?

Q. I'm curious.

SARGIS SARGSIAN: We don't have one that really stands out. Put it this way.

Q. If I understand correctly, you're based in Florida. Have you had any contacts with the tennis playing community in Burbank, California?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Yes, I do. Actually my coach, who has been coaching me since I was 7 years old up until I came to the US when I was 20, he lives in Burbank. I have a couple other very close friends who also live there. I played a challenger there actually before. I've been there a couple times. So I know a lot of people. I do speak to them sometimes, once in a while. I do have a lot of contacts there.

Q. Do you think they're celebrating in Burbank?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I'm sure. I'm sure.

Q. Your style seems to lend itself to these long matches. Do you make conditioning a big thing? Do you consider yourself extremely well-conditioned for a tennis player?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I think so. I think I have good genetics. I think that's the most important. I was born lucky. I'm very fast on the court. I have a body that doesn't get injured a lot. So, yeah, those are the most important: the speed and endurance, which I have worked on it before. And with my game, too, I definitely need to do some runnings. It's definitely one of my weapons, my condition.

Q. What's the coolest thing the USTA executive Arlen Kantarian has said about tennis and you?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: What's the coolest thing he said about tennis in Armenia?

Q. Or you.

SARGIS SARGSIAN: About me? I don't understand the question.

Q. Has Arlen spoken to you?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Yeah. He's a great guy, too. I've spoken to him almost every day here. He's actually been helping me out a little bit with the tickets for my Armenian fans. Him and Jim Curley, too, they've been amazing.

Q. It helps to have Armenians in high places?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: Oh, yeah. I tell you this, this tournament, I always played unbelievable, for some reason the last four, five years. Even like this year is a perfect example. I've had, I consider, a pretty horrendous year. I really struggled. But coming here, you don't even -- like I didn't feel like I was coming here in a good condition, like I was in a good form. But just the atmosphere in the city, which is my favorite city in the world, and this tournament and my fans, I don't know, it just clicked. I just start playing good.

Q. Knowing how much Andre would like to win another Slam, especially here, as good a friend as you are, would you feel bad if you beat him on Monday?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: No, no, no. I want to win badly. I'm not going to feel bad. Yeah, I'm definitely going to give my best and I'm sure he's going to give his best, too. If I lose, then I really hope he wins the tournament. But if I win, I'll be happy.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Gigan
09-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Matthew Cronin: Day 8 Picks

Sargis Sargsian has been the early-week hero, going nearly 10 hours to miraculously pull out his last two wins -- truly gripping five-setters. But while he's able to effectively counterpunch the sometimes erratic likes of Nicolas Massu and Paul Henri-Mathieu, Andre Agassi is a different animal altogether.

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_massu_d04.jpg

1-ROGER FEDERER (SUI) VS. 16-ANDREI PAVEL (ROM)

Since Pavel beat up on the teenage Federer in their first two meeting back in 2000, this rivalry has been fairly one-sided, with the Swiss winning the last seven, including the last three on hard courts in straight sets. That's the reason why Fed said that he's never had such an easy fourth round at the US Open. While Federer isn't an outright cocky sort, he's blatantly confident.

Pavel is a terrific groundstroker with a fair amount of flair but is nowhere near the shotmaker that Roger is. He'll take a lot of risks to try to play himself into the contest, but if he doesn't zone early and get on top of Roger from the opening bell, those could be a whitewash. The Romanian will put up a better fight than is expected, but in the end, will go down convincingly in three sets.

6-ANDRE AGASSI (USA) VS. SARGIS SARGSIAN (ARM)

This match-up is even more one-sided than Federer-Pavel, as Agassi has won all five contests, two of them on outdoor hard courts. The two are close personally, sharing an Armenian heritage and dozens of practice sessions.

Sargsian has been the early-week hero, going nearly 10 hours to miraculously pull out his last two wins -- truly gripping five-setters. But while he's able to effectively counterpunch the sometimes erratic likes of Nicolas Massu and Paul Henri-Mathieu, Andre is a different animal altogether. Agassi wins matches by playing air-tight tennis and makes very few unforced errors. Unless you're Lleyton Hewitt, you have to hit Andre off the court. Sargsian won't have the energy or power left to attempt such a feat and will be quickly dispatched in straight sets.

5-TIM HENMAN (GBR) VS. 19-NICOLAS KIEFER (GER)

This is one of the toughest picks of the men's draw to date. Henman's back is still hurting him, but he's fought admirably well in his first three wins --- none of them easy, but all of them matches he should have won. Kiefer is having himself an amazing summer and hasn't dropped a set in three matches.

Head to head, Henman owns a 5-2 edge, but they haven't played in two and half years, and Kiefer is a far better player now than he was then. The German is as effective from the back court as he is at the net and, although he won't serve and volley much, will charge behind the mid-court ball. The Britain will also serve and volley, chip and charge and waste the mid-court ball. He's been a far better player at the Slams, but you have to suspect that he doesn't have a fourth straight long match left in him.

At full strength, Henman would be the pick. But Kiefer will force him to pass him a lot, and Henman doesn't have the same balance when pain is shooting up from his toes toward his neck. Kiefer in four brutal sets.
__________________________________________________ _____
:wavey: Andre agassi forever :wavey:

alfonsojose
09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
He's hot :drool: Nice arms

star
09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
I agree. :)

Gigan
09-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Surging Sargsian Energized by Past Battles
by Glenn Minnis
Monday, September 6, 2004

Sargis Sargsian takes his place on the courts of the USTA Tennis National Center with the look of a man enriched by an inner peace. Without question, the 31-year-old Armenian is as proud as he is humbled by the experience he's come to know over the first seven days of this year's US Open.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_sargsian2_d06.jpg
"People ask me how my legs are, if I'm tired, or if I wish that maybe my first two matches hadn't been so tough," says Sargsian, reflecting on the two five-set marathon matches he's played. "I just try to explain to them that when something good happens to you, sometimes you need to just leave it at that. Just try and see the beauty of it and move on."

Lady luck is clearly shining her light onto the world of Sargsian, the world's 54th-ranked player. He has been involved in the two longest matches of the tournament so far, defeating Olympic gold medalist Nicolas Massu in the second round in five hours, nine minutes -- the second-longest recorded singles match ever at the US Open -- and Paul-Henri Mathieu in round three in four hours, 44 minutes. Later today, he will face long-time friend and occasional practice partner Andre Agassi in the round of 16.

But putting aside that Sargsian's performance at this year's Open matches his best Grand Slam result to date, let's take a minute to reflect on just how the five-foot, 11-inch right-hander has gotten here.

It's a tale of how, when growing up in Armenia, he had just one indoor tennis facility in which he could practice -- an old, dilapidated, often unheated dwelling located miles from his home. Just imagine for a moment trying to perfect your shots or find your touch, while wearing gloves to protect your hands from the threat of frostbite.

Then there was the training arrangement he had that took him to Russia to work out with boyhood pal Andrei Medvedev and the Soviet National team. But that fell apart after the political break up of that country.

When he was 20, Sargsian journeyed to the United States with the Armenian National Team to compete against Ivy League teams in the Northeast. During that junket, he met a former Arizona State player, who introduced him to the school's coaches. He ended up staying in the country when ASU granted him a scholarship, but it wasn't long after that that he suffered a career-threatening back injury.

"Yes, there has been much to overcome," Sargsian admits. "But I never thought of doing anything else. I'm a tennis player, and I've dealt with all those things because I just wanted to be able to play tennis."

That's all he's ever wanted since his seventh birthday, anyway, when he was first introduced to the game. It's what he wanted when he met a Connecticut family that was moved by his talent and allowed him to live with them and be able to continue his training.

But not even any of that can compare with the time Sargsian has had this week on one of the world's biggest and brightest stages. So, if you're waiting around to hear Sargis complain that it's taken him perhaps a little more time and energy than anyone else in the field to arrive at the same point, well, you'll probably find yourself waiting for as long as it's taken him to complete one of his matches this week.

"This is like a different world," he said. "It's like it's not my body. It's hard to explain, but it's been a weird experience."

And now there are those who will tell you that Sargsian will need some sort of out-of-body-type performance to have any chance against two-time US Open champion and No. 6 seed Agassi. He's not one of them.

"[Agassi] is an unbelievable friend, as good a friend as you can possibly have," Sargsian said of the man he found himself in deep conversation with just minutes after his dramatic third-round victory over Mathieu, even though both men realized they would have to face each other next.

"He has an amazing heart," Sargsian added. "But I want to win badly, and I'm definitely going to give it my best. I'm sure it will be a good match."

Either way, the week that's been for Sargis Sargsian has been remarkable, and the heart and soul he has shown have already made him a winner in the eyes of most.

Sarge lost to Andre today...
Good luck for both!

pinky
09-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Funny, i didn't know that Agassi's father was Armenian and actually named Agassian... He changed his name when he became a US citizen!

MisterQ
09-07-2004, 02:24 AM
from Sargsian's interview after the Agassi match:

Q. Did you come into the court today thinking that you had done what you had to do or did you really believe you could do it today?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: You know, for me it's strange to play Andre, to be honest. I really hope this is the last time I play him. I feel like -- I don't feel like I have a game plan against him. You know, like I don't know how to win the points.* Like I've played like Federer or something before. I mean, I lose obviously most of the times, but still I feel like there is a way, I have a game plan. But with Andre, you cannot serve and volley, you cannot play him from the back, you know, you cannot hustle because you know he's not going to miss, he's going to make you run till tomorrow morning.* I don't know. I don't like playing him. He just plays so fast. He rushes you so much. It's very uncomfortable.

Q. So why do you like him so much?

SARGIS SARGSIAN: I don't know on the court. But off the court, he's nice.

Billabong
09-07-2004, 02:27 AM
Andre:yeah:!