Article: Lleyton Hewitt Advised To Dump Coach [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article: Lleyton Hewitt Advised To Dump Coach

Hewitt =Legend
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Lleyton Hewitt needs a new coach

James Hooper From: Herald Sun February 01, 2010 12:00AM

John Alexander says Lleyton Hewitt needs a new coach. Source: Herald Sun

JOHN Alexander has urged Lleyton Hewitt to sever ties with coach Nathan Healey or risk being repeatedly upstaged by the big guns of world tennis.

Alexander, a former Australian player who rose to No. 8 in the world, has offered to coach Hewitt himself and outlined a plan to fine-tune his game.

Hewitt, who has pocketed more than $18 million in prizemoney in 10 years at the top, is being guided by the relatively anonymous Healey, whose last singles ranking was 1205.

Healey, 30, is only a year older than Hewitt, and is considered by many to be little more than a glorified hitting partner.

Who should coach Lleyton?

Hewitt, whose previous coaches include the Tony Roche, Jason Stoltenberg, Darren Cahill and Roger Rasheed, will turn 29 on February 24, is running out of time to add to his US Open and Wimbledon titles.

Alexander has encouraged Hewitt to dump the conservative approach he employed in his fourth-round loss to world No. 1 Roger Federer at the Australian Open and return to all-out aggression.

"Most people would think Lleyton would be better off to have somebody who can make objective assessments of his game and at least guide the direction of his continued development," Alexander said.

"I've studied his game for a long while and I know a lot of things that he could do that I think would improve his game.

"I haven't been in the coaching business, but it would be an interesting thing to do. He has to push his envelope and continue to try to expand his game.

"At this time of his career, he's on his final burst and it's not realistic for him to be chasing the world No. 1 ranking anymore.

"What is realistic is that he can win grand slams."

To challenge superstars of the calibre of Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick, Alexander believes Hewitt must risk making more mistakes and look to add more power to his second serve.

On Healey, Alexander said: "Lleyton has taken a view that he wants somebody who is a really good practice partner, so Nathan is obviously a tournament-level player and can provide that practice.

"He probably feels that, as former world No. 1 and having worked with some of the best, he knows his game and knows what to do."

Not everyone subscribes to the theory that Healey, Hewitt's former doubles partner, is little more than a hitting partner.

Healey has an ally in Rasheed, who suggested he was a suitable mentor for Australia's top-ranked player.

Rasheed said Hewitt still had at least three more quality years on the world circuit but faced a testing assignment on the Roland Garros claycourts at the French Open in May.

"Nathan's a great guy and I'm sure he's getting a lot of value and a lot of experience out of working day-to-day with Lleyton because that's a pretty good learning tool," Rasheed said.

I don't think Rusty is going to be to happy with Alexander suggesting this, he's really close with Heals.

Honestly at this stage of his career nobody is going to teach him anything he doesn't already know. Hewitt's a smart guy, he knows what he can and can't do with his ability and body so I think sticking with Healey for the rest of his career is the best move for him.

What does everyone else think?

Kolya
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
:haha:

Keep playing but forget about being in the top 10 anymore mate.

Audacity
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I think we all know he isn't going to be a slam contender. There isn't much more he can do to adjust his game... it would be wise to just stick with his current coach.

krystlel
02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
It's interesting that the coaching partnership between Hewitt and Roche largely disintegrated pretty quietly, or either I haven't been paying to the press. But I had noticed Healey in Hewitt's box all the time, and one minute it was just Roche barely wanting to travel often then Healey takes over on a more consistent basis. I get the feeling it is a bit of a casual relationship they have.

It might not be great but I really don't think Alexander would be a good choice either. I mean, I have heard Alexander's suggestions in articles and commentary over many years and I have rarely heard him offer anything other than how Hewitt should be more aggressive. I'm sure he's heard it all before.

Federer=God
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I really don't think Hewitt has it in him to compete deep into slams anymore. He can't beat any of the top 10 really, not even capable of denting Fed or Rafa. Then again, Murray is doing pretty well with his pushing style. If Hewitt could get a bit more power off both wings, a better second serve and come into the net more he would be much more potent. He is past his peak, though.

FlavorNuts
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Hewitt doesn't have enough variety or power to trouble anyone inside the top 20.
Goes to show how far the sport's progressed in the past decade.

ballbasher101
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I really don't think Hewitt has it in him to compete deep into slams anymore. He can't beat any of the top 10 really, not even capable of denting Fed or Rafa. Then again, Murray is doing pretty well with his pushing style. If Hewitt could get a bit more power off both wings, a better second serve and come into the net more he would be much more potent. He is past his peak, though.

You can't compare Hewitt to Murray. Murray can attack when he has to and also has more finishing power, Murray has a better first serve and also moves better. Hewitt is done, changing coaches is not going to help.

Federer=God
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
They are both pushers.

abraxas21
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Hewitt doesn't have enough variety or power to trouble anyone inside the top 20.
Goes to show how far the sport's progressed in the past decade.

in all fairness, hewitt used to be a better player back in the day but still, imo, even if he was in prime today he wouldn't be as successful as he was. he'd be a consistent and threatening top 10 though.

L James
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the main thing holding Hewitt back these days is his deteriorating body rather than his game, or tactics. He simply can't stay fit enough for long stretches to build enough momentum up to challenge the bigger players at the bigger tournaments. There's rarely a tournament that goes by where he isn't seen nursing some sort of injury. In hindsight, giving he was carrying a pretty serious hip injury through the AO, I thought he did pretty well.

Johnny Groove
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I still think Hewitt has some game left in him, but not much. A CHANCE to win another slam, albeit a small one.

He does need to start going for more on all of his shots and think more offensively. Come to the net more, his volleys are pretty technically sound. And get that 1st serve % up! It's NEVER above 50% in any of his matches :o

Experimentee
02-11-2010, 11:42 PM
It's obvious that John Alexander is only making these comments becuase he wants the job himself :rolleyes:

It's not like Hewitt needs new tactics, he knows his game well and wants to surround himself with people he feels comfortable with, like Healey.

Riosreigned
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Hewitt is still a threat at Wimbledom for sure. He took Roddick to five sets and had BP in the fifth, but Roddick made the volley of his life to save the BP. Hewitt wins that match he's in SF I believe, or QF. I still think Hewitt is a great champion with an extraordinary will that can never be underestimated, similar to Sampras at the end and Serena when she was counted out. Don't dare quit on Hewitt, though it doesn't look likely, you never know when he will find that key again.

rocketassist
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Hewitt is too old and lost the power he once had off both wings due to injuries and slow timing, he won't win a slam again no matter who the coach is.

If he was in his prime now though, I think he'd do very well.

RogerFan82
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Sad to say it but Hewitt is done.

Sunset of Age
02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Anyone who thinks that a new coach could still work as a deus ex machina for Hewitt to have a shot again at a GS is in need of a reality check. I won't say he's 'done' as that's too harsh (he will have his occasional good run), but I don't see him capable of beating the current crop of top players ever again (unless injured/tank jobs). Why not just accept that and enjoy the fact that he apparenly still enjoys playing (which is a good thing, à la Ferrero :yeah:)?