Why do announcers always assume newcomers [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do announcers always assume newcomers

Allure
09-05-2004, 07:09 AM
are not as talented as veterans? Like they say "This will be an easy match for Federer. This newcomer just started last year." For all they know, the newcomer could be better than the veterans. They shouldn't always assume the newcomers are always gonna lose. Wasn't Agassi a newcomer once?

Chloe le Bopper
09-05-2004, 08:03 AM
It's not about talent, it's about experience and mental fortitude. Newcomers usually don't have the experience to know how to react in certain situations. They might get tight if they get a lead, or they might collapse after a close set. They might not know the right time to try certain shots or strategy. Even Agassi was a "newcomer" and had these problems once (I assume - I was wee when he started on tour).

Few "newcomers" can just come out of the gates and beat top players on the first try. Those who can are a very rare breed.

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 09:00 AM
yeah thats very true. the reason half these players dont end up becoming big names is because they never got the big break on the big stage, and thats all because of lack of experience and all that mental stuff. especially in early rounds, the "newcomers" are not expected to do well because of just that. and if they do by some chance make something happen, then theres an upset. and we all know that upsets are very common nowadays. if you think about it, there is not much different between top ten players and players outside of the top fifty or even hundred, except for more consistency, which comes with the confidence that develops with more wins. otherwise, how would those players ranked seventy or even 120 be able to beat a top player on occasion? everyone starts out that way, its just that most never get past that point their first few times out.

ae wowww
09-05-2004, 10:35 AM
good comms

Allure
09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
It's not about talent, it's about experience and mental fortitude. Newcomers usually don't have the experience to know how to react in certain situations. They might get tight if they get a lead, or they might collapse after a close set. They might not know the right time to try certain shots or strategy. Even Agassi was a "newcomer" and had these problems once (I assume - I was wee when he started on tour).

Few "newcomers" can just come out of the gates and beat top players on the first try. Those who can are a very rare breed.

So you are saying that even if the newcomers are extremely talented, they will still lose b/c of lack of experience?

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 12:22 AM
So you are saying that even if the newcomers are extremely talented, they will still lose b/c of lack of experience?

im not rebecca but............

more often than not, yes, they will lose because of lack of experience, half of which is mental

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2004, 12:46 AM
It's not enough to be talented... you have to develop it and have the mind to go along with it if you are going be successful.

heya
09-06-2004, 01:33 AM
If a great player's parents don't take all court training seriously, it may take him years to become #1 and reach his potential.
If he doesn't have the right body type and strategies, there won't be success.

2Tough4Men
09-06-2004, 02:22 AM
If a great player's parents don't take all court training seriously, it may take him years to become #1 and reach his potential.
If he doesn't have the right body type and strategies, there won't be success.

What perfect sense.

Havok
09-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Also, when's the last time a qualifier actually did something at a tournament? The last one that I can remember on both tours is the 1999 wimbledon where you had Clijsters into the 4th round i believe losing to Graf, then you had Dokic who destroyed Hingis (then #1) and Pierce (top 10 player atm) and she lost to another qualifier Stevenson (who I don't think even had pretty good wins at Wimbledon anyways, and has done pretty much nothing since:o ) That might also be a reason as to why they sort of shun these qualifiers.