Why do people around here seem to dislike James Blake and Tommy Robredo so much? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do people around here seem to dislike James Blake and Tommy Robredo so much?

abraxas21
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Seriously, I don't get it.

With regards to Blake, I have always liked the way he plays. Sure, he's a but one-dimensional but he plays a beautiful baseline game taking the ball early and going for the agressive shots. He's also a top class gentleman on and off the court. I've never heard of him performing antics of any kind and he's as graceful in his victories as he is in his defeats.
Probably the biggest problem in his game is that he lacks the consistency to win the important points at clutch times during a match, but that's no reason to dislike a guy as much as it seems to be his case around here, no?

As for Robredo, he's the type of player that I never really cared about much and I admint that I don't know much about him. His game never seemed attractive to me and thus I didn't pay him much attention and now I'm totally lost as for why people seem to loathe him so much.

federersforehand
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
no clue either, both good guys, especially blake, who is amongst the biggest gentlemen on the tour

Echoes
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
That's because they are mugs (cover). :lol:

Bobby
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Blake has the game, but he doesn't really think on court. When things don't go his way, he looks like he doesn't really care anymore. But there are worse players.

elessar
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Summing up the next 20 posts:
-Blake is a fake ballbashing loser
-Robredo is a boring cheater

Dini
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Blake is consistently regarded as the nicest man on tour, and a lot of fans confirm that. Where people get annoyed with him, I think, is his expressionless face and his extreme ballbashing which can be very frustrating to watch. I'm a fan and I get really angry quickly at him. You'd think that there would be a brain inside there to change things up, FFS. He's lost so many matches because of his stupid stubbornness.

Tommy Robredo typically plays very loooong points and his game does not hold much variety. One-dimensional players do not seem to get a lot of love here. Personally, I don't mind his face but other than that I find him extremely dull.

Sophocles
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Get the impression people may have lost money on Blake over the years, but other than that & the fact he's inconsistent & a bit of a choker, I don't get it at all: he's good to watch when he's on and seems pleasant & articulate. Of course Rafatards hate him because he's got a better record against Nadal than against Fed, but who cares about them? As for Robredo, he does most things well but nothing exceptionally well, which makes him boring, & it's annoying to see a boring player in the Top 10, as he was for a while, but this is no reason to *hate* him.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Anyone who dislikes Blake obviously doesn't understand tennis and therefore are illiterate tennis armchair fans

Blake is a great player who doesn't time waste, ball bounce or any other "gamesmanship" and is always a gentleman- great person and a great rolemodel

the problem in America is that people of colour are given negative steroeotypes reinforced by filthy pond scum who call themselves "rappers"

i despise rappers

look at how eminem managed to chapen and make a whole cross section of americans look cheap and "ghetto"

thats because of Rap

the music itself has been dead since 1995, what we have now is some kind of filthy talentless cretins who have ripped the soul out of what hiphop was really about, what it really stood for... its black roots

Castafiore
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
^ post of the year so far.

ballbasher101
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I hate them because they suck and everyone knows that they suck so there you go.

Mosquito3
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I really like Blake!!! He's such a great guy.

EnriqueIG8
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I think people over here dislike Cabezon even more.
How can you not like this guy :p :

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nicolas-almagro-acapulco-spr08.jpg

02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
^because he threw away a hundred match points against nadal

Acer
02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't dislike either one of them. But you know how this place is, calling everyone a mug.

MariaV
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't dislike either one of them. But you know how this place is, calling everyone a mug.

+1
That's MTF for you :shrug:

tennizen
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Anyone who dislikes Blake obviously doesn't understand tennis and therefore are illiterate tennis armchair fans

Blake is a great player who doesn't time waste, ball bounce or any other "gamesmanship" and is always a gentleman- great person and a great rolemodel

the problem in America is that people of colour are given negative steroeotypes reinforced by filthy pond scum who call themselves "rappers"

i despise rappers

look at how eminem managed to chapen and make a whole cross section of americans look cheap and "ghetto"

thats because of Rap

the music itself has been dead since 1995, what we have now is some kind of filthy talentless cretins who have ripped the soul out of what hiphop was really about, what it really stood for... its black roots

I love you.

Acer

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nicolas-almagro-acapulco-spr08.jpg

*punches screen repeatedly*

TennisOnWood
I like James.. on the other side,Robredo for me is not playing tennis at all

marcRD
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Things in common:

Ugly backhands
Weak mentality
Unable to compete in big tournaments

Other things which might make them unpopular:

Blake has a polite manner which many feel is completely fake, I dont really know him so I cant tell but I can see why people suspect there is more to Blake than the eye can see.
Robredo has pretty much over the years shown himself to be a cheater and a bad character. I lost respect for Robredo in a match against Guga after his injury in the USOPEN where Robredo was very disrespectful against Guga.

Also the Blake headband is very ugly.

MrChopin
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM

i despise rappers

thats because of Rap

Non-tennis please.

MariaV
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I love you.

:eek: :eek: Now that's a serious statement.

tennizen
02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
:eek: :eek: Now that's a serious statement.

Read his post carefully. It will have the same effect on you:D

02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
i do tend to have that effect on people :p

Winston's Human
02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't care much for Blake because he is too dispassionate.

As for Robredo, I don't get why people are so down on him.

philosophicalarf
02-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Nobody likes Almugro, the model that has been on show for most of the last two years, that played in the worst match of all time vs Ginepri at the US Open, and entirely crystallised by that match vs Nadal.

However, the guy that turned up against Tsonga at AO, and at Acapulco? He kicks arse.

tyruk14
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Blake can be entertaining. He played a great match against Juan Martin in Melbourne. Winners were pinging all over the fucking stadium. Might have been the match of the tournament.

Horatio Caine
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
As has already been said about both, to some degree:

Blake - seen as a ball-basher without really a Plan B. Gets on some peoples' nerves (fans, gamblers) with his famed choking habits. :o

Robredo - seen as a boring, pusher player...also on occasions has been unsporting (for instance, Kohlschreiber match in Hamburg 2008?).

However, personally, I quite like Blake. I like his attitude to life (from my understanding of his autobiography, and how he has fought through rough personal circumstances), and whilst I have never met him (sadly never even been courtside) I have heard plenty to suggest that he is a gentlman. Seen many of his matches, and I remember him being a good sport (honest) on many occasions. I find his tennis interesting to watch, and I guess his mental instability can be a fun added drama. :tape:

I'm neutral towards Robredo...sure, his sportsmanship is questionable at times, but he has a good sense of humour and can be a bit of a character (which is always good for the sport). Was at his Wimbledon match against Koubek last year and he put on a good show.

Roamed
02-09-2010, 09:53 PM
They have names that lend themselves to insulting nicknames? (Flake & Boredo..)

No but seriously I like Blake, a lot, seems like a nice guy. Robredo I don't really follow so can't say much about, some awesome stuff against Tsonga in AO though which is all that matters really.

Pea
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM
When did flake become the classiest guy on tour? Laughable.

Byrd
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Blake-The guy has no plan B, ballbashes all day, no tactics, and this is coming from a guy who apparently studied at Harvard. Has only managed to get to a QF 3 times at slams, with 1 outside the US, which isn't good enough for a former no.4 Also his 'gentleman' persona he tries to carry off seems to be bullshit if anyone remembers the RR Las Vegas event when he almost got Korolev eliminated even though he was clearly out, guy's a loser.

Boredo-Dull, boring, worst top 10 player ever. Relies on results where he doesn't have to run into top 10 players late in the draw, in which you expect him to lose, in which you don't expect with other players. H2H with top 10 players is horrible e.g Roddick's turkey, 2 losses on clay....

L James
02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Blake is a fake, exaggerated gentleman and a mental midget.

I don't hate Robredo, but he's a boring guy who thinks he's interesting.

screenerluv
02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
blake is a roger fanboy who was always bending
over for him. blake made roger look better than
he is.

DrJules
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
They were only 8 Robredo and 10 Blake in GeorgeWHitlers ("Action Jackson") 10 most disliked thread:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=139436

NYMIKE
02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't have much of an opinion on Robredo, with Blake I'm more disappointed by his lack of good showings at GS, and his inability to win a 5 set match.

Filo V.
02-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Tommy cheated/had gamemanship in a couple of matches I remember, against Kohli at Hamburg with the fiasco there, a couple of others I believe, but that turned me off from him. I don't anything him.

I like James and he seems really nice and I like his game too, but I believe some people are rightfully frustrated with his inconsistency, his demeanor on court at times, and the fact he gets a lot of attention for having a good life story and reasonable career, but nothing really special.

Filo V.
02-09-2010, 11:39 PM
People who call James fake but don't even know the man personally are just people who can't understand how someone isn't the complete douche they want to make him out to be. That's all that is.

cobalt60
02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
As has already been said about both, to some degree:

Blake - seen as a ball-basher without really a Plan B. Gets on some peoples' nerves (fans, gamblers) with his famed choking habits. :o

Robredo - seen as a boring, pusher player...also on occasions has been unsporting (for instance, Kohlschreiber match in Hamburg 2008?).

However, personally, I quite like Blake. I like his attitude to life (from my understanding of his autobiography, and how he has fought through rough personal circumstances), and whilst I have never met him (sadly never even been courtside) I have heard plenty to suggest that he is a gentlman. Seen many of his matches, and I remember him being a good sport (honest) on many occasions. I find his tennis interesting to watch, and I guess his mental instability can be a fun added drama. :tape:

I'm neutral towards Robredo...sure, his sportsmanship is questionable at times, but he has a good sense of humour and can be a bit of a character (which is always good for the sport). Was at his Wimbledon match against Koubek last year and he put on a good show.
You took the words right out of my mouth:p And for me when Blake's game is on I just love watching him.

coonster14
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
nothing against james blake, he seems like a nice guy, and im a fan of his, he can play some great tennis at times, too bad he is such a headcase though, he should have had much better results in GS, he has the talent, but more often than not, he is more content just mindlessly bashing the ball.

robredo, don't care for the guy, he is pretty boring though.

Macbrother
02-10-2010, 12:09 AM
A lot of people turned on Blake when the whole round robin fiasco went down. Not that it was Blake's fault, I don't even remember the particulars now, I think all he did was ask about the rules, but nonetheless it left a bad taste in peoples mouth. Also his effort on certain occasions in certain matches has been called into question.

As for Robredo, what needs to be said? Look at the results against decent competition. He virtually can do zero damage.

TennisLurker
02-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Robredo is one of those guys who are consistent top 20 players without ever threateninn the real top players. Schalken was a little like that in his prime.

His game is boring, there is nothing he is great at, and he has been quite unsportmanlike on a few occasions.

Some guys ranked in the thirties, forties and fifties, at least have a big weapon, and if they are in the zone they can challenge a top player, with Robredo you always know he is a bye for top players. There is just a sense of pointlesness when watching him, his game is also dull.

Rafa = Fed Killa
02-10-2010, 03:38 AM
blake is a roger fanboy who was always bending
over for him. blake made roger look better than
he is.

Bingo

Flake is one of the biggest fedtards, someone should have told him you are there to fight not kiss his ass.

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't know why people dislike Robredo except that he was the golden boy of many on tennis forums some years ago and didn't live up to his potential. So I think a lot of his supporters turned of him.

That being said. Blake is the biggest phony you can imagine. The people saying he's a gentleman and a nice guy are just parroting what politically correct commentators have said again and again since he started. It was manufactured like Tiger Woods. I don't speak for others, but here is just some of the reasons I dislike him:

- For years and years we had to hear what a nice guy and gentleman he is simply because PC commentators wanted to promote a positive image of a black player. Despite the fact that he constantly complained and acted like any other player. Where did this reputation come from? He was nice when he met a reporter near the beginning of his career? How does one become such a renowned classy player and gentleman in their first year on tour?
- He actually bought into it himself and as Spadea noted in his autobiography, he was a prick on court who actually told people that confronted him that he had the reputation for being nice and classy. A person who is either would never say something like that about themselves unless it was entirely a false image.
- He went to Harvard very briefly on an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP and probably attended one class while he was there. He certainly didn't graduate and yet you barely hear his name without Harvard and his alleged intelligence being mentioned. You ever hear about Stanford when they talk about the Bryans? It's ridiculous. And I have no doubt that he chose Harvard over much better tennis schools simply for that reason.
- All the drama queen bullshit surrounding his supposedly major back injury. I won't even go into that, but they made it seem like he was crippled and pulled a John Locke.
- The fact that he wrote a book about being injured and how courageous he was to recover is enough reason to despise him.
- He and his brother signed huge contracts when they turned professional because of their skin color. "Diversity" in tennis being #1 above anything else. Racial diversity, not real diversity like tennis already has.
- All the wildcards he received early over other players who needed them more simply because of USTA affirmative action.
- If you have ever heard him talk about politics, he's very much a far-left pseudo-intellectual who admires black racist radicals and people like Michael Moore.
- His choosing to become involved in all the black identification crap like the Harlem tennis program and what not when he was largely raised in white society. Much like most leftist blacks.
- He got so many selections to the U.S. Davis Cup team for easy ties when he wasn't even one of the top 10 American players. Literally, he was selected when he was like the #13 ranked American for some of the ties. I wonder what was behind that nonsense? Is it once again the fact that he's black?
- The tournaments and media all promote him like he's one of the elite players on tour. He's won far less important tournaments than many very mid-level players and yet he's always mentioned in advertising with the likes of Federer, Nadal and Roddick among others. You see his matches featured in prime time and on center court when his ranking doesn't warrant it. You look at the website of a tournament he's playing and you'll almost certainly see his picture when he's very far down the rankings. Gee, I wonder if there's another reason the press and organizers featured him other than his playing ability?

Jōris
02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't know why people dislike Robredo except that he was the golden boy of many on tennis forums some years ago and didn't live up to his potential. So I think a lot of his supporters turned of him.

That being said. Blake is the biggest phony you can imagine. The people saying he's a gentleman and a nice guy are just parroting what politically correct commentators have said again and again since he started. It was manufactured like Tiger Woods. I don't speak for others, but here is just some of the reasons I dislike him:

- For years and years we had to hear what a nice guy and gentleman he is simply because PC commentators wanted to promote a positive image of a black player. Despite the fact that he constantly complained and acted like any other player. Where did this reputation come from? He was nice when he met a reporter near the beginning of his career? How does one become such a renowned classy player and gentleman in their first year on tour?
- He actually bought into it himself and as Spadea noted in his autobiography, he was a prick on court who actually told people that confronted him that he had the reputation for being nice and classy. A person who is either would never say something like that about themselves unless it was entirely a false image.
- He went to Harvard very briefly on an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP and probably attended one class while he was there. He certainly didn't graduate and yet you barely hear his name without Harvard and his alleged intelligence being mentioned. You ever hear about Stanford when they talk about the Bryans? It's ridiculous. And I have no doubt that he chose Harvard over much better tennis schools simply for that reason.
- All the drama queen bullshit surrounding his supposedly major back injury. I won't even go into that, but they made it seem like he was crippled and pulled a John Locke.
- The fact that he wrote a book about being injured and how courageous he was to recover is enough reason to despise him.
- He and his brother signed huge contracts when they turned professional because of their skin color. "Diversity" in tennis being #1 above anything else. Racial diversity, not real diversity like tennis already has.
- All the wildcards he received early over other players who needed them more simply because of USTA affirmative action.
- If you have ever heard him talk about politics, he's very much a far-left pseudo-intellectual who admires black racist radicals and people like Michael Moore.
- His choosing to become involved in all the black identification crap like the Harlem tennis program and what not when he was largely raised in white society. Much like most leftist blacks.
- He got so many selections to the U.S. Davis Cup team for easy ties when he wasn't even one of the top 10 American players. Literally, he was selected when he was like the #13 ranked American for some of the ties. I wonder what was behind that nonsense? Is it once again the fact that he's black?
- The tournaments and media all promote him like he's one of the elite players on tour. He's won far less important tournaments than many very mid-level players and yet he's always mentioned in advertising with the likes of Federer, Nadal and Roddick among others. You see his matches featured in prime time and on center court when his ranking doesn't warrant it. You look at the website of a tournament he's playing and you'll almost certainly see his picture when he's very far down the rankings. Gee, I wonder if there's another reason the press and organizers featured him other than his playing ability?

Good write-up. To your second point, it's not like Spadea is the bearer of all things class. Takes a special creep to say he wants to hurt female tennis players and how he wants his brother to receive the benefits of sleeping with them.

Can't fault Blake for accepting wildcards because his tennis federation is PC sensitive.

Hewitt2010
02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Well for myself i'm not sure but Robredo is a great player, but really shocked with his first round exit in Aussie Open. As for Blake his days of reall pressing in grand slams, i think Hewitt and Blake are really simular. Both really consistent when they were in their glory days but now both can't knock over the Nadal's, Ferderer's, Murray's and Djokovic's. Really surprised of the way Blake played last year, i really hope he can get back up the top even top 20 or 15 would be alright.

simplet
02-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I hate Blake mostly because of how overrated he is. The guy has made 3 slam quarters and 2 masters series finals in his career, and yet like Tommy-Vercetti said he's supposedly this huge star that gets central court every time and tons of press. Recently the Australian open site had a write-up about Monfils and they commended him on "upsetting" Blake in Brisbane (wtf?). Basically the guy is 30 years old and has the carrer Gasquet had 3 years ago, big whoop. You certainly don't see Gasquet on central courts everywhere in the world, and he at least has a slam semi to his name.

He also seems fake, whiny, entitled, and pretty pleased with himself.

Boredo is just boring.

Andre♥
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
How can people considerate Blake as a classy guy?

J-Block, anyone?

Experimentee
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
People who call James fake but don't even know the man personally are just people who can't understand how someone isn't the complete douche they want to make him out to be. That's all that is.

James is genuinely a nice guy. This can be confirmed by anyone who's ever met him or observed him off the court.

Also, James is called a brainless ball basher all the time, however there are plenty of other players who play like that who aren't called dumb half as much.

I think people who dislike a player just look for things to hate and see things that aren't there.

Also like it or not, some people hate Blake because they are racist. Look no further than Tommy_Vercetti.

Regarding Robredo, he was seen to be using gamesmanship and fake injury timeouts sometimes in the past, which is why some poeple hate him. Also he is seen to have a boring game.

rocketassist
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Boredo is boring and also a cheating prick.

chalkdust
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Interesting thread and it does seem, prima facie, that there are good reasons to dislike both these players. To be fair to both players, I should probably check out the stories on Robredo, e.g. in Hamburg '08, and look at the round-robin thing as far as Blake is concerned - but as this is MTF I think I will probably just decide to hate them anyway and ignore all evidence to the contrary :devil: .

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes, my apologies. J-Block should have been near the top. I think that's when at least some of the people took notice of Blake's real personality. A group of his friends come to his tournaments and act like clowns. When asked about it, he has the nerve to pretend like he couldn't tell them to STFU. He knows them personally and yet actually says that he can't do anything about it. Yeah, sure Blake.

Do you think that nearly every player couldn't have some of his friends show up and act like that at their matches? Yet classy gentleman Blake is the one with a bunch of drunken fools disrupting the match and cheering him on.

adam10
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't like Tommy Robredo

But James Blake is a really nice guy .

Clara Bow
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
He went to Harvard very briefly on an ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP and probably attended one class while he was there. He

FALSE- This is not true.

Harvard does not offer athletic scholarships and neither does the rest of the Ivy League. The Ivy Group Agreement states

"The members of the Group reaffirm their prohibition of athletic scholarships. Athletes shall be admitted as students and awarded financial aid only on the basis of the same academic standards and economic need as are applied to all other students."

And why do you assume that he only attended one class while he was there?

abraxas21
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Why don't you just spare us with the mumbo jumbo and tell us that you dislike him just because he's black? I mean, seriously.

02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
COMPARE

blake talking about being nice off court but wanting to win on court.
=EkP_wGcEMtI

Murray talking about his muscles (errr, what muscles mr bean pole)
=FniO3Br7Z08&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=E5613D0C938C5EF4

Ivanovic talking about how pretty she is (2 notes- one, you aint all that sweetie, you're in a notoriously lesbian dominated sport- of course your average look will stand out. secondly- you sound hideous)
=xS9AyDSElC8&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=E5613D0C938C5EF4

Roger discussing his nickname- darth federer.... cute
=kuRs_ZJBq64&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=E5613D0C938C5EF4

what can we take from this

Blake is a nice guy, murray couldn't buy a personality, ana is an air head with delusions of being hot, and roger wants to be darth vader

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
FALSE- This is not true.

Harvard does not offer athletic scholarships and neither does the rest of the Ivy League. The Ivy Group Agreement states

And why do you assume that he only attended one class while he was there?

My apologies. Harvard recruits and accepts athletes under different rules. The point is that he got into Harvard to play tennis. Just like the Bryans got into Stanford. Not because he was some kind of great intellectual. And I joked that he attended one class because tennis both at every level is about traveling and training. Any athlete in NCAA competition has a tough time with the schedule, but tennis likely more than any other. You don't find it irritating that they act like Blake is so smart because he went to Harvard to play tennis?

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Why don't you just spare us with the mumbo jumbo and tell us that you dislike him just because he's black? I mean, seriously.

Because I would only despise the USTA for it's PC actions towards Blake if he didn't buy into his reputation and get involved in the identification crap. Anyone who starts acting a certain way to promote a media manufactured image of themselves is soulless. You want a good example of the PC mentality that helped him build his career? The USTA naming the stadium after Arthur Ashe instead of one of the far more accomplished players. That always annoyed the hell out of me. How anyone in the U.S. could never acknowledge his special treatment in Davis Cup was always beyond contempt. I doubt there has ever been a player outside the top 10 of their own country that was selected to play Davis Cup except Blake.

Nidhogg
02-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I have always liked Blake, and I'm pretty much indifferent to Robredo.

Pigpen Stinks
02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Tommy, the stadium was named for Ashe not because of his on court accomplishments, but more for his off court humanitarian efforts. Similar to the reason the facility was named after BJK.

I don't disagree with all your points, but they become less credible when you include factually inaccurate opinions.

And your conclusions about Harvard tennis players' schedules are way off. Tennis players at Ivy League schools miss very little class time due to tennis committments.

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
What humanitarian efforts? Race-baiting nonsense like working towards South Africa turning from the safest and most modern into the crime capital of the world under Mandela's horrific leadership? Oh, that's right. What a humanitarian.

And he didn't just play for Harvard. Blake was participating in futures and other tournaments while at Harvard. It's just the very idea that's he's portrayed as being not only so classy, but smart because he attended Harvard. It's ridiculous. He could have gone anywhere, like every other top player.

And even if you want to ignore the fact that he has always gotten special treatment in the name of diversity, then J-Block, the unwarranted press coverage and promotion, his self-congratulatory book and manufactured classy reputation is more than enough reason to "dislike" him. Far more than anything you can say about Robredo.

abraxas21
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I hate Blake mostly because of how overrated he is. The guy has made 3 slam quarters and 2 masters series finals in his career, and yet like Tommy-Vercetti said he's supposedly this huge star that gets central court every time and tons of press. Recently the Australian open site had a write-up about Monfils and they commended him on "upsetting" Blake in Brisbane (wtf?). Basically the guy is 30 years old and has the carrer Gasquet had 3 years ago, big whoop. You certainly don't see Gasquet on central courts everywhere in the world, and he at least has a slam semi to his name.

Monfils has won 2 ATP titles and his highest ranking was number 9.
Gaquet had one 5 ATP titles and his highest ranking was number 7.

By contrast, Blake has won 10 ATP titles and his highest ranking was number 4.

Sure, I won't argue that Blake being black and his family story have influenced his popularity but it can't also be overlooked that James Blake has had a much more succesful career than either Monfils or Gasquet at this point.

02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
You want a good example of the PC mentality that helped him build his career? The USTA naming the stadium after Arthur Ashe instead of one of the far more accomplished players.

what you (and alot of white people) so easily forget is that, people of color who make something of their lives do it usually in spite of every hurdle white america throws at them

when Floyd Patterson won the boxing world championship he went to a restaurant and was refused service because he was black, thats 50 years ago- the worlds greatest boxer was not allowed to eat around "gentle" white folk because he was black

When Muhammad Ali became world champion and claimed he was the greatest, he shocked the world not because he was claiming to be great- but to white America- a black man being proud of his win and boasting about it was unheard of.

Pacho gonzales was despised and began to despise the people who held him down because he was (in their words) a poor, thief "spic" who would never amount to anything- his hate made him win... he had to hate otherwise they would have broken him

Arthur Ashe inspired a generation, not just within tennis but outside it- i know its hard to see when you close your narrow minded eyes and see only his color but to accomplish what he did at the time he did it is as great as any tennis acomplishment

it might be easily lost on you- but if the arthur ashe stadium was named after Richard sears- it might lose alot of its meaning especially to every coloured person who walk into it

sometimes you have to look above just the tennis world. your hate for blake is a thinely veiled attack on a black man, you cant stand- because he's black

abraxas21
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
What humanitarian efforts? Race-baiting nonsense like working towards South Africa turning from the safest and most modern into the crime capital of the world under Mandela's horrific leadership? Oh, that's right. What a humanitarian.

And he didn't just play for Harvard. Blake was participating in futures and other tournaments while at Harvard. It's just the very idea that's portrayed as being not only so classy, but smart because he attended Harvard. It's ridiculous. He could have gone anywhere, like every other top player.

And even if you want to ignore the fact that he has always gotten special treatment in the name of diversity, then J-Block, the unwarranted press coverage and promotion, his self-congratulatory book and manufactured classy reputation is more than enough reason to "dislike" him. Far more than anything you can say about Robredo.

Is there any black person you don't dislike?

Your utter contempt for Obama has been duly noted many times... Now Blake, Monfils, Tsonga, Ashe... Not even Mandela for crying out loud.

As for your comment that apartheid South Africa was so very modern and safe... No words, really.

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Sure, I won't argue that Blake being black and his family story have influenced his popularity but it can't also be overlooked that James Blake has had a much more succesful career than either Monfils or Gasquet at this point.

No one can doubt that. But has Monfils or Gasquet been treated like an elite player throughout their entire career? I think not. And they have news critics. Blake was pretty much immune from criticism in the tennis media. They acted like his GS QF's were Slam victories.

Blake's titles are all at the lowest tier except for the first one in Washington where Paradorn choked away the match. I remember watching that on Fox Sports and thinking that it's a shame someone has to win.

oranges
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Haas has a much better resume than Blake, and he doesn't get that treatment either.

Pigpen Stinks
02-10-2010, 04:23 PM

And he didn't just play for Harvard. Blake was participating in futures and other tournaments while at Harvard. It's just the very idea that's he's portrayed as being not only so classy, but smart because he attended Harvard. It's ridiculous. He could have gone anywhere, like every other top player.

I'm not arguing whether his efforts were worthy of having a court named after him. I'm merely pointing out that it's a mistake to say that it was named after him strictly due to his tennis accomplishments.

He played in pro events while at Harvard, but none of them during regular class terms. Most tope college players do the same.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=10021072

No one can doubt that. But has Monfils or Gasquet been treated like an elite player throughout their entire career? I think not. And they have news critics. Blake was pretty much immune from criticism in the tennis media. They acted like his GS QF's were Slam victories.

Blake's titles are all at the lowest tier except for the first one in Washington where Paradorn choked away the match. I remember watching that on Fox Sports and thinking that it's a shame someone has to win.

wasn't it great that in GTA- San Andreas you had to play as a black man, and the hoopla it caused because certain players wanted to play as a white man

abraxas21
Haas has a much better resume than Blake, and he doesn't get that treatment either.

So? I'm not saying that only achievements count. In fact, I did say that Blake being black and his rather sad family history have influenced his popularity.

By the same token, I might as well say that Dustin Brown is more well known than the average journeyman... Can you venture to guess the reasons why?

oranges
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
So? I'm not saying that only achievements count. In fact, I did say that Blake being black and his rather sad family history have influenced his popularity.

By the same token, I might as well say that Dustin Brown is more well known than the average journeyman... Can you venture to guess the reasons why?

But is Blake really that popular to warrant it? If not, it shouldn't be surprising that some people will resent the preferential treatment. :shrug:

I don't particularly like or dislike him, though I'll admit I have a chuckle whenever he goes out early after that infamous statement that he prepares for grass and HC, not clay. :p

oranges
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
So Tommy, give us one black person you actually like or are they all evil incarnate

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
In what context? You mean you want me to list the names of my friends or is there a degree of fame that needs to be noted?

I can give you a much longer list of white players whom I dislike. Tell me, are people as interested in that?

And the people who PM me and ask why I'm such a racist or why I don't care that everyone seems to think I am. I'm secure enough to know that racism is all about perception. People can say what they want. Disliking someone because of their skin color is stupid. But praising someone because of it is equally stupid.

Sophocles
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I can see why preferential P.C. treatment of Blake is annoying, but I'm really interested only in a professional tennis player's *tennis*, & Blake's can be entertaining.

oranges
02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
In what context? You mean you want me to list the names of my friends or is there a degree of fame that needs to be noted?

No degree of fame, just any one public person, historical figure, sportsman, take your pick.

02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
The world has been run by an elite group of individuals

usually the money lenders and bankers, who control the credit of the world and therefore control the power

it has been this way since the days of rockefeller at least, but the current money lenders and bankers who run this world have had plans in place since then

the world is in fact 2 worlds

one rich, mainly european and wetsern world, run by the money lenders and bankers

and the 2nd black world

in debt in the trillions, black and yellow children forced to work days for a pittance so that the 1st world can have their i-pods and nike

we live in a sheltered bubble and dont want change because we have it on the good side of the park

all our commodities are from the blood of coloured children

if africa wasn't still being bled dry by these bastards then it would be a prosperous continent

the diamonds, the land, the oil reserves, africa has more reserves than anyone else

so why is it so poor? because someone wants to keep the black man down, thats the truth

Sophocles
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
^ Er, no.

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
No degree of fame, just any one public person, historical figure, sportsman, take your pick.

Let's see. I'll go with some of the most famous in each area.

One public person - Bill Cosby
Historical Figure - Booker T. Washington
Sportsman - Jerry Rice

02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
^ Er, YES.

:wavey:

Sophocles
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm not going there.

abraxas21
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
But is Blake really that popular to warrant it? If not, it shouldn't be surprising that some people will resent the preferential treatment. :shrug:

I don't particularly like or dislike him, though I'll admit I have a chuckle whenever he goes out early after that infamous statement that he prepares for grass and HC, not clay. :p

fair enough. i can understand that.

abraxas21
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
And Nelson Mandela was a truly terrible leader. He ruined the country and because of media bias and the leftist control of the education system, they pretend like he was a prophet. The man was a rightfully imprisoned terrorist and after he was released, he became one of the most incompetent and corrupt leaders in recent history. If you have ever been to South Africa and talked to people, white or black, you'll start to understand something about the world.

You contrast it with someone like Pinochet who was an excellent leader and is portrayed as evil incarnate by the same media. Why? Because Mandela is black and supported leftist politics. That's why he's seen as a visionary and such a great man.

I've been to South Africa actually and from what I gathered black people absolutely love Mandela. He's a political icon of the highest order. White people seem to like him too except for the ocassional racist who constantly talked about how much better things were under apartheid (for white folk maybe).
That said, Mandela was a terrorist in the same way in which a person who fights against an oppresive regime that continually enforced a racist agenda against his own people, the vast majority of the population of the country in fact. I'm not claiming the guy was perfect, far from it actually, but to think he was a terrible terrorist is far from the truth.

As for Pinochet, the guy was a complete waste of space and, as a chilean, i'm actually embarrassed that the guy died without having a proper trial. A guy who killed thousands of people can't ever be held as an "excellent leader".

Sorry for this Off Topic rambling.

Tommy_Vercetti
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, there's point in arguing any further. You have very acceptable and popular beliefs. I hope it makes you happy.

Sophocles
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Mandela showed a certain statesmanship in preventing the country from sliding into (what seemed at one point likely) civil war between ANC & Inkhata supporters. But he did nothing to prevent the country's descent into an AIDS- & crime-ridden cesspit.

simplet
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Eh, I never said that Blake's career was not better than those guys'. I don't think Gasquet should be put on central courts everywhere that's for sure. But Gasquet at 21 had a career that was only marginally less good than Blake at 30. I mean we're talking about GASQUET here. NOONE gives a shit about Gasquet. Maybe when he plays Costa do sauipe, and even then I'm not sure. If you prefer, you could compare Blake to Haas. Haas has had a MUCH more succesful carrer than Blake, there's no denying that. And yet who gives a shit about Haas? The guy made a slam semi LAST YEAR and still noone cares.

As for the Monfils thing, you think it's normal that the number 12 player beating the has been blake has become is considered an upset??

edit : Haas has a much better resume than Blake, and he doesn't get that treatment either.
Ah I had not seen your post when I replied. Great minds think alike I guess.

Puschkin
02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
NOONE gives a shit about Gasquet. ......... And yet who gives a shit about Haas?
:topic: Dont' extend your opinion to everyone. I prefer watching both of them to the majority of the current top ten players.

simplet
02-10-2010, 08:51 PM
:topic: Dont' extend your opinion to everyone. I prefer watching both of them to the majority of the current top ten players.

Gasquet is my second favorite player, and I think Haas is both hilarious and fun to watch, but you won't see any important tournament/exho/TV channels using them as promotion. Maybe in France or Germany, but at least in France I don't know that people go into hysterics at the first mention of Gasquet's name.

Lalalovesong
02-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I LOOOVE Tommy Robredo!!

Puschkin
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Maybe in France or Germany, but at least in France I don't know that people go into hysterics at the first mention of Gasquet's name.
I doubt that in France or Germany (and in most parts of the world apart from their home countries) people would go into "hysterics" for Murray, del Potro, Davydenko, Roddick or Cilic either.

simplet
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I doubt that in France or Germany (and in most parts of the world apart from their home countries) people would go into "hysterics" for Murray, del Potro, Davydenko, Roddick or Cilic either.

Hum I'm not really sure what we're arguing about now

dam0dred
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/0/9780061343490.jpg

Need I say more?

Action Jackson
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, there's point in arguing any further. You have very acceptable and popular beliefs. I hope it makes you happy.

14 words.

02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Theres quite a few Gasqueteers on this forum alone..and a few years back he was quite high profile..not to mention his Cocaine case was big news all over the world..it wouldn't have been if he wasn't held in high esteem.

Pea
02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/0/9780061343490.jpg

Need I say more?

Alol.

Nole Rules
04-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Bump.

BauerAlmeida
04-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Blake is a cool guy. I don't dislike him at all.

BroTree123
04-14-2013, 01:00 AM
No one is that retarded in comparing Blake to Robredo in terms of personality.

motorhead
04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
who on earth can dislike James?

Looner
04-14-2013, 01:14 AM
I like Blake quite a bit and I can't stand Boredo.

nole_no1
04-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Who dislikes Blake? :eek:

Hewitt =Legend
04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Blake is a top bloke while Boredo is the exact opposite. Only thing they have in common was that they both made Top 5...

Alex999
04-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Blake is probably one of the most charming players in tennis history. I love him. I wish he could've won more and I really think he was capable of it based on his pure skills, but it came down to so many different things, that horrible accident etc ... Blake's FH was a thing of beauty. I don't think Blake was 'hated' per se, I think many guys wanted him to succeed and he simply wasn't able to deliver.

And you know how it goes on MTF even nowadays, if your name is not Djokovic, Federer or Nadal you are a mug

When it comes to Robredo I simply never liked his game style. He bores me to death. then, I will not talk about 'cheating' and many other questionable things. enough was said already.

Kyle_Johansen
04-14-2013, 04:36 AM
I only enjoy Robredo's BH and that's because it's a one-hander.

I love Blake, one of my favourites.

fifthsetshootout
04-14-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm not a fan of James Blake's game and I frankly find his on-court rants to be irritating. For the record, I'm not fond of Roddick's history of throwing temper tantrums on court either.

Oddly, I like Robredo though.

ariel2
04-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Waste of a thread.