Rotterdam R1 Zverev almost wins a match, Sijsling beats him 6:7(2) 6:3 7:5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rotterdam R1 Zverev almost wins a match, Sijsling beats him 6:7(2) 6:3 7:5

gaitare
02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Zverev was up 5:2 30:0* in the first and *5:3 in the third and Sijsling wasn't brilliant at all.

EnriqueIG8
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
First ATP win for Igor. Too bad to see Zverev become such a loser, he had a really nice game in Monte Carlo last year when he lost against Wawrinka (?).

Does anybody know if the shirtsponsor Zverev has (Enke) is a tribute to Robert Enke, the deceased goalkeeper of Hannover and if so..were they close?

henke007
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Cruise control for Soda in 2nd round then!!

Tess Gray
Nice job Igor! :yeah: Congrats on your first ATP win.

Montego
c'mon Zverev, beat Spadea's record

philosophicalarf
02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
8 losses in a row now, and 16 of the last 17. Quality effort.

An even bigger problem coming up: this is the part of the season he needs to pick up points, given he's distinctly average on clay. He had that fluke run to Rome quarters last year, which is almost 40% of his points, and if he fails to defend those he'll be way out of the top100, down around 150 maybe.

Bilbo
02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
2 easy volleys dumped by zverev to get broken at 5-5 in the 3rd. he was literally shitting his pants. he was cruising on serve as long as he had no pressure.

Minotaur
02-08-2010, 10:46 PM
zverev actually played like shit, it's no wonder now why he loses matches one after another, his level of play is low challengers

Tom Paulman
02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
At least give some credit to Zverev for winning his first set of the season and even putting himself in a winning position :P

c'mon Zverev, beat Spadea's record

He and Bolelli seem to be trying hard right now.

Truc
02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
First ATP win for Igor. Too bad to see Zverev become such a loser, he had a really nice game in Monte Carlo last year when he lost against Wawrinka (?).

Does anybody know if the shirtsponsor Zverev has (Enke) is a tribute to Robert Enke, the deceased goalkeeper of Hannover and if so..were they close?That was Andreas Beck in Monte Carlo. Zverev had a good run in Rome and lost to Fed.

And I have no idea about the shirt, but Zverev wasn't close at all to Enke. I remember he mentioned his death in his blog last year and said that he didn't know him, he didn't even know he was the goalkeeper of the German team.

That choke today was just fascinating, I couldn't stop watching although it was such a terrible match.

TMJordan
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't know how he managed to lose this one. Hit the challanger tour for a while, Mischa.

The Dutch dude must have had close to 100 ue.

Dini
02-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Didn't Zverev nearly beat Gonzo at some tournament (can't remember which, was it Shanghai?) but then retired in the third set? Is that around the time his extreme slump started?

crazillo
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Zverev has such a nice game, but he doesn't have any confidence right now. He plays pretty brainless and attacks on really bad approach shots. Also, he has become really, really passive. He used to be much more active and aggressive... I fear he's gonna fall even lower this year. He's a solid top 100 guy and shouldn't slump like that. :-(

philosophicalarf
02-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Didn't Zverev nearly beat Gonzo at some tournament (can't remember which, was it Shanghai?) but then retired in the third set? Is that around the time his extreme slump started?

It was long before - perhaps Wimbledon. Completely collapsed against Petz, 2-1 up, tiebreak, lost it, got bagelled in the final set. After that won a couple of clay matches (against off form GGL and Simon) in July, then has only won a single match since (vs Leo Mayer in Bangkok).

Spadea TT
02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
8 losses in a row now, and 16 of the last 17. Quality effort.

An even bigger problem coming up: this is the part of the season he needs to pick up points, given he's distinctly average on clay. He had that fluke run to Rome quarters last year, which is almost 40% of his points, and if he fails to defend those he'll be way out of the top100, down around 150 maybe.

Bolelli is leading the competition of consecutive losses with 12... Spadea's record is very unsure now with all these competitors...

At least Zverev got very close to win a match :shrug:

JustJames
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Does anybody know if the shirtsponsor Zverev has (Enke) is a tribute to Robert Enke, the deceased goalkeeper of Hannover and if so..were they close?

No direct mention but he seemed to have a lot to say about Robert Enke in his blogs and so forth, for example here: http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article1269384/Robert-Enke-war-nicht-schwach-er-war-ein-starker-Mensch.html

Sunset of Age
02-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Nice job Igor! :yeah: Congrats on your first ATP win.

Yeah, but however much I dislike saying it, it was rather Zverev's massive f*cking *up :o that got him this victory. Anyway, congrats indeed. Must be very nice for the #245 ATP journeyman. :D

I read that he joked after the match, "Söderling? who's that?" :lol:

CooCooCachoo
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Zverev has such a nice game, but he doesn't have any confidence right now. He plays pretty brainless and attacks on really bad approach shots. Also, he has become really, really passive. He used to be much more active and aggressive... I fear he's gonna fall even lower this year. He's a solid top 100 guy and shouldn't slump like that. :-(

Exactly :sobbing:

It really hurts to see him play like this; it is not at all the way I like to see him nor the way he should play if he wants to have a solid career.

Purple Rainbow
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
No direct mention but he seemed to have a lot to say about Robert Enke in his blogs and so forth, for example here: http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article1269384/Robert-Enke-war-nicht-schwach-er-war-ein-starker-Mensch.html

He seems like a very emotional and empathic man.
I found this the oddest sentence in the article.

Ich bin überzeugt davon, dass fast jeder Mensch schon einmal über Selbsttötung nachgedacht hat.

Truc
02-09-2010, 10:07 AM
It's precisely the blog entry I was referring to, where he clearly says that he doesn't know him at all.
It's just some general thoughts about suicide, mental strength, sports, etc.

Klaas_nalbandian
02-09-2010, 12:46 PM
At least it is better for the tournament to have a Dutch player in the second round, but Zverev has to pull himself together.