Andy - Chooses rest over Marseille [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy - Chooses rest over Marseille

MsTree
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
OK Andy, you know what you have to do here :D

My favourite trophy pic ever is from his win here 2 years ago so let's have more of the same please :)

http://www.andymurray.tennisfans.net/images/2008andymarseille.jpg

Edited after he announced his withdrawal

MurrayFan1
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Haha he does look like a massive idiot with long hair!

Lot of decent players at this tournament.

Murray
De Potro
Tsonga
Soderling
Monfils
Simon
Robredo
Youzhny
Baghdatis
Beck
Benneteau
Seppi
Clement
Rochus O
Stakhovsky
Serra
Llodra
Zverev
Rochus C

scoobs
02-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Strong field for a 250.

Jade Fox
02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
OK Andy, you know what you have to do here :D

My favourite trophy pic ever is from his win here 2 years ago so let's have more of the same please :)

Amazing what a good haircut can do for a fellow. :lol:

And yeah, for a 250 this field is ridiculously good. GL Andy! :rocker2:

Getta
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Marseilles almost always gather together many 'elite' tennis players.

for instance, here's the 2008 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6466248&postcount=5) entry list.

MsTree
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
I like his hair like that! :lol:

Jade Fox
02-08-2010, 12:01 AM

To each their own. What really cracks me up is his expression. A person not knowing the outcome might have assumed that he lost! :lol:

scoobs
02-08-2010, 12:02 AM
The hair's okay there though when it was that long at times it looked like a he'd been fighting off an attack in the film "the birds"

I remember one period where he had it shaved very short, I thought that was a good look

Getta
02-08-2010, 12:10 AM
What really cracks me up is his expression. A person not knowing the outcome might have assumed that he lost! :lol:

hmm, his expression can be recognised as that of innate feeling of superiority, yet it's mysteriously lovable.

MsTree
02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
hmm, his expression can be recognised as that of innate feeling of superiority, yet it's mysteriously lovable.
This :D

Jade Fox
02-08-2010, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE]The hair's okay there though when it was that long at times it looked like a he'd been fighting off an attack in the film "the birds"

I remember that period. I call that the white man's afro era of Andy Murray. :lol:

Sounds good to me. :)

scoobs
02-08-2010, 12:32 AM
-FQhrBOovzQ

Jade Fox
02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Leave it to Kylie Minogue to put it all in perspective. :worship:

Betty
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
well done les:D

Betty
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM

:angel:+1

Andi-M
02-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh no I prefer the new improved Hawt Andy. :hearts: The scruffy, mardy Andy had his charm though :p

tedlesurfeur
02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Marseilles almost always gather together many 'elite' tennis players.

for instance, here's the 2008 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6466248&postcount=5) entry list.

Among the elite, there will be an amateur player in the qualifying draw. He won the BNP Wildcard Tournament. The odds want him to be a close friend to either Simon, Monfils or Tsonga. He didn't mention who.

Anyway, good luck to Andy in this tournament. He likes this surface, right?

amdany
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh no I prefer the new improved Hawt Andy. :hearts: The scruffy, mardy Andy had his charm though :p

Me too :hearts:

Bonne chance Andy in Marseille!

Jade Fox
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
:bigcry:

I hope it's the right decision.

Betty
02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
well Les yr first thread was not lucky:o;)

i hope he is ok.reason of the wo?

MsTree
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
How's that for jinxing! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8513058.stm

Andy Murray will miss next week's ATP World Tour event in Marseille as he continues to recuperate following his run to the Australian Open final.

The 22-year-old Scot, beaten by Roger Federer in Melbourne, will now return to action in Dubai on 22 February.

A statement on Murray's official website said: "Andy has taken an extra week off to recuperate and recover for the long season ahead."

Juan Martin del Potro has also withdrawn from the Marseille event.

The world number five has a wrist injury, leaving Sweden's Robin Soderling as the top seed ahead of France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Murray also opted against defending his title in Rotterdam last week.

The 22-year-old said after reaching the Australian Open that he was wary of playing too much in the early part of the season.

After Dubai, he will head to the United States for the Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells, where he reached the final last year, and Miami, where he defends his title.

He then plans to skip the Monte Carlo Masters before opening his clay-court season in Barcelona on 18 April.

MsTree
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
well Les yr first thread was not lucky:o;)

:lol: Aye Betty I'd better not start anymore :lol:

Betty
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
so no andy until barCELONA:SAD:

Betty
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
:lol: Aye Betty I'd better not start anymore :lol:

:lol:i was kidding u must do it again;)

:secret:do u want open in fed forum rg thread:angel:

;)jk:lol:

MsTree
02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
:secret:do u want open in fed forum rg thread:angel:

LMAO Yeah maybe I should :haha:

Betty
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
:lol:
how are u,long time without to chat:awww: u left casa:sad:

and this week there was some mug snooker matches:p

MsTree
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I've been missing snooker??? :sobbing:

I haven't left Casa :hug: I've been busy these last few weeks and couldn't really catch up with the thread of things, I'll have more time over the winter olympics :D Hopefully anyway!

Betty
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
....skying and figure skating:hearts:

MsTree
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I just love any big games meet, I've no idea who any of these folk are but boy are some of them brave!
And we even get a bit of Champions League footie thrown in too :D

Betty
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
dont remind me CL:bolt:

l_mac
02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
so no andy until barCELONA:SAD:

What about Dubai, IW and Miami?

Jade Fox
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Is this now a mini chat thread? Well I just want to post this observation from googling Andy Murray.

Apparently Andy's name is not that unique in the sports world.

There's a Canadian hockey player named Andy Murray.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Murray_(ice_hockey)

And an Hockey Coach as well! It was odd to see so many "Blues Fire Murray" news stories pop up late last year! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray_(ice_hockey)

And nowadays there's articles about an Irish boxer of the same name talking about an upcoming fight! Couldn't his parents named him something unusual dammit! :lol:

scoobs
02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Booo!

Ah well, at least it means I can ignore the tennis for another week.

Andi-M
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Andy :hug: going all RF on us. This time last year Andy had played abu dhabi, doha, AO and was exhausted. This year he just played AO and seems fine smart stuff from Andy this year.

Truc
02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I think it's a good decision because I never got why he would play Marseille (no "s" at the end) to begin with, it seemed it was just to make up for last year - but there was nothing to make up for, last year's withdrawal was very understandable and it's not his fault if Caujolle, the director of Marseille, was being an utter drama queen about it.

But of course, committing and withdrawing in last minute AGAIN really wasn't Andy's best move... Caujolle is mad and very harsh about Andy again in the media, calling him "irresponsible", etc.

Truc
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I just came across this article which is actually an exception and defending Andy, saying that he's not the culprit, it's actually the same as when JWT decided to skip Doha because he realized his schedule was too heavy, etc.:
http://www.eurosport.fr/ace_blog18/aux-armes-citoyens-de-latp_post180329/blogpostfull.shtml
But Caujolle is so desperate that he felt the need to answer the author of the article and explain why he's so mad (his rant really is all over the French tennis websites, it's pretty bad for Andy's image imo, it really annoys me).
According to him here and in L'Equipe today, Andy said last year that he would come this year for free to make up for his late withdrawal. Caujolle refused because he precisely wanted to be sure that Andy wasn't going to withdraw again. So they agreed he would get the same conditions. Andy asked last week for a doubles wild-card to play with Jamie, he asked them to book 5 hotel rooms, the people in Marseille were doing their best to accommodate to his wishes and then he retired out of the blue. Caujolle says the the 1st seed of an event has a responsibility in his opinion and should be suspended by the ATP if he doesn't take it on. ^^

It's a pity it turns into such a drama every year and it makes him look like a complete prick for many French fans because it seems to me on the contrary that he's less of a prick than many top players.
I for myself really prefer him to not turn up if he knows he's not ready yet and doesn't feel like playing. That's the thing which was driving me nuts last year - Caujolle kept badmouthing him and praising Nole for showing up one year before - but he put up one of the worst tank jobs of the decade!
Anyway, it's done now, let's hope Caujolle will move on with the start of his event. And since he also is the director of Bercy, let's hope he will have overcome his bitterness towards Andy by then.

Andi-M
02-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Andy I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scoobs
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree he shouldn't enter these tournaments if there's a real prospect he will pull out late, but there we are.

Given the stretch from Indian Wells to Wimbledon is long with not that many opportunities for a decent training block in there, this is the best decision, but it does him no favours to continually piss off tournament directors.

MsTree
02-14-2010, 08:20 AM
(no "s" at the end)

Oops! Fixed! At least I got Gillou's thread right :)

But of course, committing and withdrawing in last minute AGAIN really wasn't Andy's best move... Caujolle is mad and very harsh about Andy again in the media, calling him "irresponsible", etc.

:( I can see why he'd be pissed off but throwing the toys out of the pram in the press won't do either of them any favours.

MurrayFan1
02-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Haha "irresponsible" how on earth does he work that out!?

This has been on Sky Sports News just now as well.

Jade Fox
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh god what drama. I know it's bad for Andy to piss people off like that but I'm thinking the combo of him and Delpo pulling out, therefore leaving no real headliners for the tournament is what's upsetting this man.

Cloudygirl
02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I can see why the organisers are pissed off but I can also see why Andy has withdrawn. :(

scoobs
02-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Storm in a teacup. Players withdraw from events all the time and tournament directors get in a flap about it in the media all the time. C'est la vie.

Andy has his priorities and the tournament directors have theirs. Frankly I'm more concerned with Andy's priorities than with those of M. Caujolle. Did he handle it well? Perhaps not - but then, is there a "well" way to handle this that will appease the tournament directors? I doubt it.

Goldenoldie
02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Marseille and Marseilles are both acceptable, the latter being correct in English (see your spell-checker!)

Truc
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh OK, thanks, I didn't know that. It's weird.
Well, no "s" in French. I thought people made the mistake because other cities like Versailles are written with a "s" - French spelling is so confusing.