Bernard "BABY GOAT" Tomic wins second challenger of career [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bernard "BABY GOAT" Tomic wins second challenger of career

Matchu
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
So Bernard has won another challenger title this week. Obviously aussie challengers aren't the strongest tournaments but still good effort to win two at 17 years old.

Won't be long until he is playing ATP I reckon.

Kolya
02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Damnit.

fran70
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Although it`s a challenger tournament without big names it is great victory for him. I agree that is not going to take too long to see his name on the main draw of ATP tournaments.

Matchu
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Damnit.

You were about to make the same thread or you don't like the fact that Tomic is winning?

n8
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Futures Challenger
titles titles
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 3
Yong-Kyu Lim (KOR) 3
Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) 3
Rhyne Williams (USA) 1
Chase Buchanan (USA) 1
Tsung-Hua Yang (TPE) 1
Pablo Carreño-Busta (ESP) 1
Steven Díez (ESP) 1
Emilio Gómez (ECU) 1
Laurynas Grigelis (LTU) 1

Bernard Tomic (AUS) 2
Yuki Bhambri (IND) 5
Ryan Harrison (USA) 2
Nikoloz Basilashvili (GEO) 1
David Souto (VEN) 1
Jack Sock (USA) 1

Taken from Junior thread (Nov 24th 2009 post). No one born in 1991, let alone 1992 has a Challenger title except for Tomic, and he's got 2!

MatchFederer
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm pretty excited about Tomic, I have to say. I like his easy and flat ground-stroke style and i'm sure he will hit with far more power and penetration once he is able to work on his movement enough that he is well placed far more often to do something with the ball, not to mention the strength increments that will naturally happen.

Matchu
02-08-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm pretty excited about Tomic, I have to say. I like his easy and flat ground-stroke style and i'm sure he will hit with far more power and penetration once he is able to work on his movement enough that he is well placed far more often to do something with the ball, not to mention the strength increments that will naturally happen.

By the time he is 20 he will be hitting shots very hard and his serve will be massive. Maybe we will see the return of serve volley? :haha: nah Bernard's a baseliner but if he really wanted to he probably could serve volley, but apparently thats dead so no use trying.

Smoke944
02-08-2010, 04:13 AM
By the time he is 20 he will be hitting shots very hard and his serve will be massive. Maybe we will see the return of serve volley? :haha: nah Bernard's a baseliner but if he really wanted to he probably could serve volley, but apparently thats dead so no use trying.

Wrong. He will be retired at the age of 20 as by the age of 19 he will already be clearly the greatest player who ever lived and will have nothing left to accomplish.

BTW if you think I am spouting BS ask Bernard yourself. He will tell you the same thing ;)

Matchu
02-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Wrong. He will be retired at the age of 20 as by the age of 19 he will already be clearly the greatest player who ever lived and will have nothing left to accomplish.

BTW if you think I am spouting BS ask Bernard yourself. He will tell you the same thing ;)

:haha: very true. By the way if anyone is wondering Bernard won the challenger in Burnie, Tasmania, Australia and beat Greg Jones in the final.

Arkulari
02-08-2010, 05:03 AM
worst junior generation since God knows when

Smoke944
02-08-2010, 05:12 AM
worst junior generation since God knows when

I disagree. I think 1991-1992 and possibly 1993-1994 will be very good when it is all said and done. 1989-1990, on the other hand, is looking pretty terrible.

serveandvolley80
02-08-2010, 05:26 AM
I disagree. I think 1991-1992 and possibly 1993-1994 will be very good when it is all said and done. 1989-1990, on the other hand, is looking pretty terrible.

Who exactly looks that good in the 1991 and 1992 generation? Tomic has potential, but i don't see anything in his game that leads me to believe hes going to be some world beater. Maybe that is not fair to say of a teenager, but lets not jump the gun and kill him a legend yet.

What about Dimitrov? The guy has all the talent in the world, but at 19 years of age, hes struggling terribly, he should have already had decent result for his age and talent level.

Belucci and Tomic are possibly top 10 players, but i won't go crowning them legends yet lol.

Arkulari
02-08-2010, 05:36 AM
watch the challengers nowadays, filled with veterans and almost no youngsters, the guys barely survive futures much less challenger tour :shrug:

serveandvolley80
02-08-2010, 05:42 AM
watch the challengers nowadays, filled with veterans and almost no youngsters, the guys barely survive futures much less challenger tour :shrug:

So weaker competition in lower tournaments is effecting the youngsters ability to gradually improve and develop their game at a steady pace, instead of jumping into pro competition and get blown out in first round matches for years.

Its a theory, lol.

-Valhalla-
02-08-2010, 06:02 AM
"BABY GOAT" my ass. Bernie's nothing more than a pickle kisser.

saniapower
02-08-2010, 06:30 AM
"BABY GOAT" :yeah:

Audacity
02-08-2010, 06:46 AM
What a ridiculous nickname.

Matchu
02-08-2010, 07:01 AM
What a ridiculous nickname.

Federer didn't win his first challenger until he was 18, Bernard has won two and he is 17 so he is on his way.

I don't actually think he will be the GOAT but it is fair to say he will probably win a few Grand Slams in his career.

Hewitt2010
02-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Federer didn't win his first challenger until he was 18, Bernard has won two and he is 17 so he is on his way.

I don't actually think he will be the GOAT but it is fair to say he will probably win a few Grand Slams in his career.

Matchu you are smart, im sick of all these international guys baging our players. Tomic is clearly the best player in the world under 18 maybe even under 20, yeah maybe he lost a couple of matches against players he should beat, also burnie might not get big international players outside the top 100, but they should have it on a week where there isnt any other challenger tournaments and asia get heaps of challengers over a year and New Zealand and Australia dont get many, its crap.

No wonder all the top players are from europe because they have so many future and challenger tournaments over the year, last year Australia had 16 events last year, 11 futures 2 challengers and 2 250's sydney and brisbane, then the aussie open.

But compare that to european and american tournaments its crap. United States have 12 major tournaments and maybe more than 10 challengers and 30 futures.

But back to Tomic he has played hardly any tournaments and still finds himself 209th in the world where is dmitrov, berta, mina and harrison they are all pethetic. Go Aussies.

swebright
02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Not all the junior success translate to good result as an "adult". This guy has a lot of maturing to do.

Smoke944
02-08-2010, 07:24 AM

Matchu you are smart, im sick of all these international guys baging our players. Tomic is clearly the best player in the world under 18 maybe even under 20, yeah maybe he lost a couple of matches against players he should beat, also burnie might not get big international players outside the top 100, but they should have it on a week where there isnt any other challenger tournaments and asia get heaps of challengers over a year and New Zealand and Australia dont get many, its crap.

No wonder all the top players are from europe because they have so many future and challenger tournaments over the year, last year Australia had 16 events last year, 11 futures 2 challengers and 2 250's sydney and brisbane, then the aussie open.

But compare that to european and american tournaments its crap. United States have 12 major tournaments and maybe more than 10 challengers and 30 futures.

But back to Tomic he has played hardly any tournaments and still finds himself 209th in the world where is dmitrov, berta, mina and harrison they are all pethetic. Go Aussies.

:dog: :sport: :drive: :yippee:

Hewitt2010
02-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Well Tomic clearly can play at the mens level so why cant you be just be happy for the guy.

True he does need alot maturing to do but why do non Australian people on this forum always bag aussies.

Matchu
02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Well Tomic clearly can play at the mens level so why cant you be just be happy for the guy.

True he does need alot maturing to do but why do non Australian people on this forum always bag aussies.

The reason people bag Australian players is because they are overhyped to the max. Bernard has definetly been over hyped and other players were as well. The media overhyping them makes them get arrogant, which is why Bernard has such a big head, he has been told most of his life that he will be the best and we all know if you hear something enough you start to believe it. It's pretty much all newscorps fault, all they do is find an Australian who has a decent result and just keeping saying they will be the future of Australian tennis.

With the exception of Bernard Tomic you would say that every junior from Australia has dissappointed since Lleyton Hewitt emerged.

Clydey
02-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Good effort from the Croatian.

FairWeatherFan
02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Don't get too excited, Tomic is going to follow the path of Dokic and Simunic and bugger off back to the Balkans anyway.

jmf07
02-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Agreed about the lack of challenger tournaments in Australia. For some reason outside of the Burnie challenger for every men 15k future there is a 25k womens tournament.

As for Tomic, Harrison did beat Tomic in straight sets last time they played. Tomic's results certainly are good but it is absolutely ridiculous to be making outlandish statements about him. He sucked in the seniors events he played outside of Australia. His clay court tennis is still extremely questionable. Wait until he plays more tennis and exposes to himself to conditions that wont suit him instead of playing in front of home crowds on his favourite surface.

Serenidad
02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Who is better Tomic or Dimitrov? :confused: :shrug: :help:

gulzhan
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Go, Tomic! :rocker2:

Experimentee
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
The reason most juniors don't win challengers when they are 17 is because they usually play stronger US or European challengers where they don't have as much chance to win.

Tomic and other Australian juniors have an advantage because they can get their ranking up by playing weak Aussie challengers. As there are more Aussie challengers on the women's side, you can see several Aussie women players take advantage of this and get their ranking into the top 200, even though they cannot actually compete with international top 200 players in GS quallies.

rocketassist
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Surprised the OP isn't chirping on about his new ranking.

save ausdecline
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Only thing impressive bout this win is that he beat Zemlja. Ill be convinced once he wins a Futures tournament overseas.

Dini
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I still find his game extremely dull. :zzz:

Good on him for getting a few good results though; Dimitrov has the more exciting game and a lot more talent in my opinion but has been an absolute loser so far. Sure, he's young and all that, but he's flunking in first rounds of challengers, ffs.

Ad Wim
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
it is fair to say he will probably win a few Grand Slams in his career.

:haha:

GrosjeantheGreat
02-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Someone needz to start a thread for 'Jack Sock'.

MatchFederer
02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Someone needz to start a thread for 'Jack Sock'.

...Goatiest name in history.

n8
02-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Only thing impressive bout this win is that he beat Zemlja. Ill be convinced once he wins a Futures tournament overseas.

He made a final of a futures event overseas in 2008 as a 15 year old. The event was in Indonesia. I personally doubt he will play any more futures; last year he didn't play any.

Smoke944
02-09-2010, 01:50 AM
He made a final of a futures event overseas in 2008 as a 15 year old. The event was in Indonesia.

You are right, but that isn't exactly helping your case by any stretch of the imagination :lol:

Matchu
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
You are right, but that isn't exactly helping your case by any stretch of the imagination :lol:

Yep not really that impressive of a result, even though most 15 year old tennis players go no where near quarterfinals of futures events let alone a final. The impressive thing about the result is though that if you look at who he played in the final of that future, Yuchi Sugita, he lost 3-6 7-6 3-6, last week the player Bernard beat in the final in straight sets beat Sugita in straight sets in the semis.

So obviously Bernard has advanced a lot more since then, but in terms of future tournaments he is definetly done. Challengers, ATP and Grand Slams this year for Bernard only.

Riosreigned
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Tomic keeps progressing positively despite the controversies around him. This kid is for real. Once he gets physically stronger, watch out. Australia has it's heir apparent.

GrosjeantheGreat
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
...Goatiest name in history.
So much potential for Jack Sock...

'Sock stinks'
'Jack Socked'
'Sock a shoe-in'
'Sock in the draw'
'Walkover for Sock'
'Sock made to sweat'
'Sock sprains ankle'
'Jack Sock goes limp'
'Sock branded toerag'
'Jack Sock stained'
'Jack Sock strained'
'Sock in mismatch'
'Game, set, match, Sock'
'Sock needs ironing out'
'Sock in amazing feat'
'Sock takes first step'
'Foot problem for Sock'
'Jack Sock stands erect'
'New balls for Jack Sock'
'Federer makes Sock puppet'
'Jack Sock hung out to dry'
'Premature ejection for Jack Sock'
'No hiding place for Jack Sock'
'Jack Sock given a helping hand'
'Jack Sock soaked...in rain delay'
'Federer washes his hands of Jack Sock'

Forget Tomic...allez Sock!

Matchu
02-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Tomic keeps progressing positively despite the controversies around him. This kid is for real. Once he gets physically stronger, watch out. Australia has it's heir apparent.

Indeed. He will play Davis Cup next month as well which is obviously huge for a 17 year old. Everything is falling into place for him.

Tom Paulman
02-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Great achievement by the youngster.

Federer won only one challenger in his career, so Tomic will win 32 slams! :rocker: