02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Money corrupts! Gee Rogi look what you've allowed to happen :rolleyes:

nobama
02-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Boy we really needed a thread for this. :rolleyes:

Snowwy
02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Boy we really needed a thread for this. :rolleyes:

I think we did, this is clearly a problem with tennis these days.

paseo
02-07-2010, 02:31 PM
"Del Potro loved playing here," Rapp said. "But it was a situation where he wanted more money than Agassi wanted in his day. Great player, but also, too, we have to be fiscally responsible."

Del Potro > Agassi :D

Bobby
02-07-2010, 03:04 PM
This might be a problem. Times are tough now and the tournaments probably don't attract sponsors easily. Attracting spectators might be difficult as well. This may not be the right time to ask for a huge appearance fee.

fran70
02-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I don`t think that San Jose has at all a bad list of players taking part of an ATP250. On the other hand, I don`t find it ethic at all that the tournament director has to make it public that he offered a player a certain amount of money to be part of it and the player decided that the amount is not enough. Maybe he didn`t offered Delpo the same amount that Rotterdam offered (if so) to Djokovic, Davydenko or Soderling to play there. Or maybe Delpo didn`t wanted to play there and asked for much money. After all, we only heard the tournament`s director position.

Ibracadabra
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Too much success too quickly corrupts the mind. Great player though

scoobs
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
This might be a problem. Times are tough now and the tournaments probably don't attract sponsors easily. Attracting spectators might be difficult as well. This may not be the right time to ask for a huge appearance fee.
The trend is continuing to move away from top 10 players being willing to play these 250 events except at times when there's a big reason to do so - like Queens/Halle for example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of smaller tournaments, particularly ones in "bad" calendar weeks, fold over the next decade or so.

dodo
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
So what? After all the whining over the season being too long, suddenly the players are not playing enough matches?
No point comparing todays fees to those ten years ago. The schedule is different and so are the sums of money involved.

Bobby
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
So what? After all the whining over the season being too long, suddenly the players are not playing enough matches?
No point comparing todays fees to those ten years ago. The schedule is different and so are the sums of money involved.

The season is not too long. No best of fives except for the Grand Slams and bye's...

scoobs
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the tour could comfortably afford to lose 5 of the smaller tournaments, but the bigger issue here is the need to increase the length of the off-season. It's no good dropping tournaments out of the calendar if it doesn't have the impact of compressing the season by a few weeks.

Most players don't complain about the amount of matches they have to play, but that they have to have themselves in match mentality from January to the end of November.

Shirogane
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Del Potro > Agassi :D
... Not :D

(As much as I like him.)

Sunset of Age
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I don`t think that San Jose has at all a bad list of players taking part of an ATP250. On the other hand, I don`t find it ethic at all that the tournament director has to make it public that he offered a player a certain amount of money to be part of it and the player decided that the amount is not enough. Maybe he didn`t offered Delpo the same amount that Rotterdam offered (if so) to Djokovic, Davydenko or Soderling to play there. Or maybe Delpo didn`t wanted to play there and asked for much money. After all, we only heard the tournament`s director position.

Tournament directors AND players usually try to keep the appearance fees a 'secret', but of course it leaks out 'through the grapevine', once in a while. DelPotro is a GS-winner, a true top dog, so his appearance fee should be in the 6-digit range at least. Asking for too much money is indeed a reknown way of finding yourself in the position of not having to play a tournament which you don't want to be playing... but of course tournament directors may end up being pretty pissy about it, hence their not-so-positive reactions about it. ;)

tennishero
02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Bill Rapp SAP Open tournament director, San Jose Calif.

./. But Rapp's challenge is to keep foreign players coming back after they've hit it big. Rapp acknowledges that appearance fees are a huge part of pro tennis, and it's his job to determine which players are likely to offset those fees

"Del Potro loved playing here," Rapp said. "But it was a situation where he wanted more money than Agassi wanted in his day. Great player, but also, too, we have to be fiscally responsible."

Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_14350741?nclick_check=1)

hes #4/5 in the world, i doubt any of the other top 5 would attend.

cobalt60
02-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Tournament directors AND players usually try to keep the appearance fees a 'secret', but of course it leaks out 'through the grapevine', once in a while. DelPotro is a GS-winner, a true top dog, so his appearance fee should be in the 6-digit range at least. Asking for too much money is indeed a reknown way of finding yourself in the position of not having to play a tournament which you don't want to be playing... but of course tournament directors may end up being pretty pissy about it, hence their not-so-positive reactions about it. ;)

Spot on; the economics of the tennis world and all the reasons and excuses that go with it;)

Johnny Groove
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I think the best example of this in recent years has been Richard Krajicek's outlandish pursuit of Nadal for his tournament in Rotterdam.

Sunset of Age
02-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I think the best example of this in recent years has been Richard Krajicek's outlandish pursuit of Nadal for his tournament in Rotterdam.

Exactly. And in addition, claiming that Federer asked for too much, whereas there are very strong rumours that he's been paying Nadal exactly the same amount the past few years. :o :lol:
Not going to tell you how much, it might leave some folks over here shell-shocked. ;)

fran70
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM

I know what u mean. But as I said that would be nice to hear Delpo`s position. And if I were on his shoes I would never ever play there meanwhile Bill Rapp is the Director of the tournament. After all, we don`t hear everyday that a Director speaks openly about an specific player because he doesn`t accept certain amount of money to play a tournament just because "he is pissed off". After all I guess Delpo may have better reasons not to play there than because there`s one more o less zero on a check...

Sunset of Age
02-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I know what u mean. But as I said that would be nice to hear Delpo`s position. And if I were on his shoes I would never ever play there meanwhile Bill Rapp is the Director of the tournament. After all, we don`t hear everyday that a Director speaks openly about an specific player because he doesn`t accept certain amount of money to play a tournament just because "he is pissed off". After all I guess Delpo may have better reasons not to play there than because there`s one more o less zero on a check...

I don't think DelPotro, or any top-player, will even bother to comment on a disappointed tournament director's hissy fits. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if he'll never turn up over there as long as that guy is the tournament director, indeed, with the infamous 'the tournament doesn't fit in my schedule'-argument ;). Deeds speak more than words.
Such things have been happening before, btw...

Deboogle!.
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Tournament directors AND players usually try to keep the appearance fees a 'secret', but of course it leaks out 'through the grapevine', once in a while. DelPotro is a GS-winner, a true top dog, so his appearance fee should be in the 6-digit range at least. Asking for too much money is indeed a reknown way of finding yourself in the position of not having to play a tournament which you don't want to be playing... but of course tournament directors may end up being pretty pissy about it, hence their not-so-positive reactions about it. ;)Appearance fees are not based on a player's credentials, they're based on how many tickets that player is likely to sell, and that would depend on location, so I don't think there's a level that a player's appearance fee "should be" set at. Del Potro is hardly well-known here and would never draw the same kind of crowd as a player like Agassi, who is known well beyond tennis. Sure, a player can ask for whatever he wants, but if the tourney doesn't think it's a lucrative investment based on the appeal and draw of the player they won't give it to him. Appearance fees are a huge problem, no doubt, but no player is entitled to a certain amount of money just b/c of ranking or accomplishments. The appearance fees are away for the tourneys to be successful, not as a reward for a player's accomplishments. And frankly, I really doubt the San Jose tourney director is that upset about Del Potro choosing not to play his tournament :lol:

SheepleBuster
02-07-2010, 06:05 PM
giraffe wants to get paid. What's wrong with that? Roger did throw that US open final though. It was in the bag when he served for it in that second set. Shame!

Sunset of Age
02-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Appearance fees are not based on a player's credentials, they're based on how many tickets that player is likely to sell, and that would depend on location, so I don't think there's a level that a player's appearance fee "should be" set at. Del Potro is hardly well-known here and would never draw the same kind of crowd as a player like Agassi, who is known well beyond tennis. Sure, a player can ask for whatever he wants, but if the tourney doesn't think it's a lucrative investment based on the appeal and draw of the player they won't give it to him. Appearance fees are a huge problem, no doubt, but no player is entitled to a certain amount of money just b/c of ranking or accomplishments. The appearance fees are away for the tourneys to be successful, not as a reward for a player's accomplishments. And frankly, I really doubt the San Jose tourney director is that upset about Del Potro choosing not to play his tournament :lol:

Hey, I agree on all accounts - of course. With 'top dog' I meant to say 'top dog selling ticket-magnet', for which at times that player's credentials are an indication (Federer, Nadal), but they don't necessarily have to be, indeed (Davydenko :o). I personally have no idea in which category between these extremes Del Potro falls, but I guess he does ask a fair amount of cash. No problem, all of the top 10 (and who knows other players as well) do so.

Well, and if that tournament director isn't that much disappointed, why yap about it in the open? I think that's pretty unprofessional behaviour of that fellow, really.

DrJules
02-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Could somebody change the title thread to something more appropriate.

tennishero
02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
giraffe wants to get paid. What's wrong with that? Roger did throw that US open final though. It was in the bag when he served for it in that second set. Shame!

lol what has that got to do with anything?

Aaric
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think DelPotro, or any top-player, will even bother to comment on a disappointed tournament director's hissy fits. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if he'll never turn up over there as long as that guy is the tournament director, indeed, with the infamous 'the tournament doesn't fit in my schedule'-argument ;). Deeds speak more than words.
Such things have been happening before, btw...

This.

l_mac
02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Del Potro's head is huge. It cannot be argued.

nobama
02-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Exactly. And in addition, claiming that Federer asked for too much, whereas there are very strong rumours that he's been paying Nadal exactly the same amount the past few years. :o :lol:
Not going to tell you how much, it might leave some folks over here shell-shocked. ;)Well we know it's no where near the $3M Tiger Woods got to play in Australia. ;)

Sunset of Age
02-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Well we know it's no where near the $3M Tiger Woods got to play in Australia. ;)

Whatever the exact amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$, we all know that some 99% of us all (including me, of course) won't ever see it on our bank accounts in our entire lifetime. :p

Clara Bow
02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Appearance fees are not based on a player's credentials, they're based on how many tickets that player is likely to sell, and that would depend on location, so I don't think there's a level that a player's appearance fee "should be" set at. Del Potro is hardly well-known here and would never draw the same kind of crowd as a player like Agassi, who is known well beyond tennis. Sure, a player can ask for whatever he wants, but if the tourney doesn't think it's a lucrative investment based on the appeal and draw of the player they won't give it to him. Appearance fees are a huge problem, no doubt, but no player is entitled to a certain amount of money just b/c of ranking or accomplishments. The appearance fees are away for the tourneys to be successful, not as a reward for a player's accomplishments. And frankly, I really doubt the San Jose tourney director is that upset about Del Potro choosing not to play his tournament :lol:

I think you kind of illustrate both positions here. Per your account- a grand slam winner such as Delpo would not be a draw in San Jose- so why should they want to play the tournament when it may not be a time that is conveienent for the the player? If they are playing at a place where folks won't care if they are there or not- maybe an appearance fee can be a litmus in a way-or a polite- in a money grubbing way :lol: out. But why should Delpo want to come to a tournament where he is "hardly well known" despite having a grand slam title in the US. And the tournament can say no.

If it was in Miami where there is a stronger expat Argie community- and at a better time in the calender- perhaps the ask for a fee would not be so high and perhaps he would be better than "harldy" known.

They may do have a better tennis draw with Isner and Querry where at SAP where folks will care more about the US flag and the up and comers than the international players who have found success - or if it was someone like Feds or Rafa who are better known for being international players among folks who don't follow tennis as much.

But I can't cast Delpo as villan here if it is a situation where the public couldn't give a rat's ass if he was there or not at a 250 that is not going to really help his prep or anything. Maybe the appearance fee was about the hassle. Why should he want to play at a place where the fans wouldn't care if he was there and neither would the director?

As for Agassi- by the time he may have been coming the the tournament he was making in the multi-millions in terms of sponsorhips and contracts- he was on the Forbes list of highest earning atheletes for ages.

The 250s are going to have hard time getting big names now anyway. And if it is at a place where the playes are hardly known- the appearance fees may be a cut off decision for the players.

Serenidad
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Apparently too huge for Nadal to handle on court in their last three meetings.

Castafiore
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Not going to tell you how much, it might leave some folks over here shell-shocked. ;)
According to Dutch sources, the Rotterdam tournament offers Nadal a very nice sum of money in appearance fees but Federer asked for more than that (and it was more than their limit which is a very generous limit) so, judging by those reports, Krajicek wasn't telling any lies here. :shrug:

Matt01
02-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Not only his head is huge :angel:

fangirl
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM

LOL.

sebbe
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I thought of another head....:p

Everko
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM

what his arms?

Sunset of Age
02-08-2010, 05:25 PM
According to Dutch sources, the Rotterdam tournament offers Nadal a very nice sum of money in appearance fees but Federer asked for more than that (and it was more than their limit which is a very generous limit) so, judging by those reports, Krajicek wasn't telling any lies here. :shrug:

Too bad I have sources from ABN AMRO which have told me something quite different. ;)

Castafiore
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Too bad I have sources from ABN AMRO which have told me something quite different. ;)
What a coincidence. I also have sources from ABN AMRO. :)

Let's just summarize this by stating that Rafa is not the sharpest tool in the box and naive and this helps his greedy family to squeeze him like a lemon. The Nadal clan is too stupid to notice that Krajicek is taking advantage of their greed and the oh so smart Roger is so clever as to avoid Rotterdam. Krajicek wishes to attract Roger but he can't admit in public that he's failing in doing so which is why he just spouts out crap about Roger asking too much. Right? :D
At least, if my memory serves me well, this is pretty much your viewpoint. (but not as direct perhaps).

Sunset of Age
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
What a coincidence. I also have sources from ABN AMRO. :)

Let's just summarize this by stating that Rafa is not the sharpest tool in the box and naive and this helps his greedy family to squeeze him like a lemon. The Nadal clan is too stupid to notice that Krajicek is taking advantage of their greed and the oh so smart Roger is so clever as to avoid Rotterdam. Krajicek wishes to attract Roger but he can't admit in public that he's failing in doing so which is why he just spouts out crap about Roger asking too much. Right? :D
At least, if my memory serves me well, this is pretty much your viewpoint. (but not as direct perhaps).

(1) I trust my source - okay, must admit it was from two years ago, and (2) - where the hell did you get that nonsense from? I know pretty sure that Krajicek likes Rafa more than Roger, and that's his good right. Roger not having even answered to his requests to come and play Rotterdam (for your information, the hint I posted a couple of posts before about the 'it doesn't fit in my schedule'-excuse was about Roger) the past couple of years might well have added up to that. Nothing to do with what you say, and I'd also rather appreciate it if you stop trying to put things in my mouth which I never said and have never thought. Thanks a lot in advance.

Castafiore
02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Ah, my info was based on last year. They had to give an extensive evaluation of financing the tournament because they were criticized for sponsoring a tennis tournament in the midst of the financial crisis.

I get that nonsense from you :D I knew that I should have taken notes on your gems (and where to find them again). I admit that I was paraphrasing from memory but I'm not too far off, though. ;)

Matt01
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
what his arms?

No, his forehand ;)

nobama
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
So i guess these days every thread turns into either a fed/nadal thread or a fed/sampras thread. :rolleyes:

cobalt60
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
So i guess these days every thread turns into either a fed/nadal thread or a fed/sampras thread. :rolleyes:

funny; it seemed like point -counterpoint to me.

sammy01
02-08-2010, 11:16 PM

you should see his shaft :devil::p:o

anyways, why not ask for as much as possible, it isn't like del potro is missing out on anything by not playing there.