Which currrent or recently retired player would make the best tennis commentator? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which currrent or recently retired player would make the best tennis commentator?

02-07-2010, 01:45 AM
This could be quite interesting. Inevatibly a lot of pro players decide to become commenators after their careers, and I am sure todays crop of players will be no exception in the future.

Obviously no ones going to agree with only 10 poll choices, but I will try my best.

1. Marat Safin. The guy had a very explosive personality on court. Very talented. He could bring a lot to the table, but his English would need to improve. Question mark over his knowledge over the technical aspects of the game.

2. Roger Federer. The greatest player of all time. He wouldn't need the money, but he could do pretty well at it. I somehow can't imagine it though.

3. Nafeala Nutella. His English would need to improve, no? But he is quite a character and a nice individual, I can imagine him doing okay. He could also of course commentate in Spannish.

4. Shandi Dick Rod. A pathetic 1 SHAM BLUNDER on the court, but I could imagine him saying quite a few funny things from time to time. Good impact commentator, but wouldn't want him for the grand sham finals.

5. Joe Wilfried Ponga. His personality and flare could translate into commentary. Probably more at MS level than slam level though.

6. Hard on Hugh Witt. Hard to imagine, but the come on after winners from the commentary box might get him a job at 7 sport in Aussie.

7. David Nalbandian. People will always want to know what the GOAT thinks about everything, the most famous player on MTF must be included.

8. Flamed Flake.

9. Andrew Mug gay bo. It will be so embarrasing when he ends his 10 year career and his brother Jamie has a grand slam title and he doesn't. Still, maybe the two could pair up in commentary, the Mugay brothers, and win something there?

10. Bommy Farce. The German knows how to stuff everything up on court, so he should be able to describe everything perfectly when the next generation of chokers do the same.

Actually, after ready this, have come to the conclusion that no one on the tour would do a good job. But what does MTF think?

out_here_grindin
02-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Roddick was pretty good as a guest announcer one time on ESPN.

abraxas21
02-07-2010, 02:14 AM
I can imagine Federer as a commentator...

"Yes, that guy is pretty good but of course, he wouldn't compare well against, you know, me. Because you know, I had this crazy talent and come to think of it, I probably still have it... [deep breath] I have so much raw talent in my left pinkie than any of these guys right now".

It would be great

bobrocks
02-07-2010, 02:51 AM
I voted Roddick. He's pretty funny, and well spoken. I bet he does very well as a commentator when his career is over.

casabe
02-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Coria was a tv commentator for the davis cup finals in argentina and he was really good in my opinion

mandeep
02-07-2010, 03:55 AM

"Yes, that guy is pretty good but of course, he wouldn't compare well against, you know, me. Because you know, I had this crazy talent and come to think of it, I probably still have it... [deep breath] I have so much raw talent in my left pinkie than any of these guys right now".

It would be great

LOL...

Hewitt =Legend
02-07-2010, 04:26 AM

It would be great

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

So true

Arkulari
02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Coria was a tv commentator for the davis cup finals in argentina and he was really good in my opinion

Yep, he has a pretty nice voice :aplot:

maybe someone we don't expect, there have been great commentators that have been journeymen, but from the actual top players? maybe Duck in USA and Rafa in Spain

Quakes
02-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Marat Safin. The guy talks hilarious. I really miss him. :angel:

Kolya
02-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Shamwow guy.

serveandvolley80
02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Johnny Mac: This epic 5 setter between Murray and Del Potro here at the 2014 Aussie open reminds me a lot of the epic show down you yourself Roger have had with Nadal...... Roger?

Federer: (Sobbing uncontrollably)"Oh man this is killing me!"

dabeast
02-07-2010, 05:42 AM

It would be great

Haha!! Then again it's 100% true. :)

Goldenoldie
02-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I'd vote for Djokovic. Hilarious.

Persimmon
02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Andy Roddick.

oematoema
02-07-2010, 02:39 PM

It would be great

This is :bs:. Federer would never utter a sentence without the word "amazing" in it. And only two "you know"s in three sentences is also unrealistic.

Roamed
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Roddick.

And I know it would never happen but it would be cool if, maybe after they retire, some players could get together to do DVD commentaries of their matches, like the kind directors do for DVDs of their films.. interesting to know what they were thinking at particular moments.

philosophicalarf
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Dani K. Forget the tennis, the real sport would be listening to the other commentators trying to wind him up.

Ububub
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Nadal, no?

tennishero
02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
probably roddick.
imagine listening to murray.. fall asleep after 2 minutes.

tennishero
02-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Nadal, no?

no.

dodo
02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Roddick by a landslide. Especially if they tell him it's ok to just say whatever he wants. He can be an ass on court, but his pressers are often hilarious.

JediFed
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Santoro.

Henry Chinaski
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
from the poll its safin by a mile. you're all idiots.

Renaud
02-08-2010, 03:02 AM
Santoro

Ibracadabra
02-08-2010, 03:56 AM
davydenko

coonster14
02-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Roddick (like his wit and sarcasm, he would be perfect for the job)
Agassi (he made some good points during the roddick/federer USO match in 2007, but kept talking too much during points...)
Hewitt (he has a very good understanding of the game)
Federer (enough said...)

-Valhalla-
02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say Roddick too [and he'll likely provide far more entertainment with his tongue than with his racket]. Fed also would make a great analyst, but the odds of seeing him here in the States are slim and none. Most likely he'll do some work for the BBC at Wimbledon and some native Swiss stuff.

[and watch Blake go directly from retirement to the broadcast booth ... :help: ]

Clara Bow
02-08-2010, 05:15 AM
I actually think that Hewitt would make a very good tennis commentator. He gives good analysis of matches in interviews imo.

Blake could be good but they would have to teach him to be brief as he likes to talk the way Faulkner rights (i.e. 60 sentance paragraphs). Roddick would be good because I think he would be funny without trying to be but would have some good insight.

I think Rafa if he were commentating for Spanish TV would be cheering commentator like Leconte. Which could be fun.

I thinks some of the fellow in the list could do a good job.

swebright
02-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Tim Henman. At least he's better than Becker.

Agassi makes very interesting points. How about Pete??

Or, Lendl? I think he should be able to analyse the game prety good.

But I like the current semi-clowns: they make it more funny/interesting = entertainment value added.:devil:

I don't want too serious/analytical person.

MariaV
02-08-2010, 07:21 AM
1. Marat Safin. The guy had a very explosive personality on court. Very talented. He could bring a lot to the table, but his English would need to improve. Question mark over his knowledge over the technical aspects of the game.

Actually, after ready this, have come to the conclusion that no one on the tour would do a good job. But what does MTF think?

Well, only time will tell who will do a good job as a commentator.
But what I know is that you are completely wrong about Marat Safin. His English is pretty good, better than Becker's. ;) He has a talent for languages (his teachers even wanted him to pursue this line of studies more seriously) and his knwoledge of the technial aspects of the game is actually also pretty deep, it's just that you don't know much about it. ;) The real problem with Marat is that he tends to mumble sometimes, and he clearly has no desire to work as a commentator. :p

Emperor Yi
02-08-2010, 07:21 AM
roddick probably

MurrayFan1
02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Roddick or Tsonga. If anyone votes Andy Murray, I will laugh.

Nole fan
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Djokovic of course, at least we would be highly entertained...
Whereas with Federer it would be like "I've heard so much hype about these young players but I'm not impressed". Haha, it's hard to impress Roger, unless you ask him about Federer. Apparently the guy has a lot of praise and admiration for himself.

12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Roddick or Tsonga. If anyone votes Andy Murray, I will laugh.

I actually think Mugaybo would be a good commentator.

Like a support one though, not the main play by play commentator but the one who chips in here or there. Hes a good student of the sport and that accent is so damn sexy :devil:

Clay Death
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Djokovic of course, at least we would be highly entertained...
Whereas with Federer it would be like "I've heard so much hype about these young players but I'm not impressed". Haha, it's hard to impress Roger, unless you ask him about Federer. Apparently the guy has a lot of praise and admiration for himself.

you will never see fed in the booth anyway. he is too rich. he will go develop commercial real estate in dubai.

i would take djokovic. i think he is good.

Nole fan
12-09-2010, 09:05 PM
How could you leave Djokovic out of this? :confused:
he'd be an awesome commentator. Not only is he hilarious but he's also very articulate, honest and spot on.
Besides him, I see either Roddick (he's dead funny and witty) or Marat. Federer would do too but I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to contain himself and would remind us of his goatness at any chance he could. :lol:

..........edit.............

Wow, I hadn't realised I had actually answered to this thread already, forgot completely. :lol:

Certinfy
12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Monfils and Tsonga. Imagine them commentating together as well :haha:

Clay Death
12-09-2010, 09:07 PM
djokovic and rusty would be hilarious in the booth together.

lets not forget rusty (hewitt).

12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
djokovic and rusty would be hilarious in the booth together.

lets not forget rusty (hewitt).

Do you think Nadal could make a fist of it once he is fluent in English?

Sophocles
12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm amazed Hewitt got only 1 vote. Judging by his interviews, he's the obvious choice, if you want somebody to analyse the game in an illuminating way in English.

Clay Death
12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Do you think Nadal could make a fist of it once he is fluent in English?

not really old sport.

he is fairly useless as a talker.

he does his best work out there on the court.

he understands the game as well as anyone on the planet. he just cannot communicate his thoughts.

RedHotRafa
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Roddick and Djokovic. Nadal could be okay. if he somehow dropped the heavy accent and learned fluent english.

Vida
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
not really old sport.

he is fairly useless as a talker.

he does his best work out there on the court.

he understands the game as well as anyone on the planet. he just cannot communicate his thoughts.

I was once told by a person who speaks spanish, rafa is very communicative on spanish :shrug:

as for the question, federer most definitely. I think even, he wants to be a commentator after he quits.

Orka_n
12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Hewitt would probably be the best analyzer. But Djokovic commenting would be a riot. Novak would act similar to an actor during a dvd commentary of his own movie.
After a long rally: "OH crap! That must've been exhuasting, man! If it was me, right now would be the time to fake an inju- I mean take a few deep breaths..."
"Why did he go down the line, man? I would've played the drop shot..."
"HAHAHA have you seen his ritual before the serve? Looks ridiculous! I have to go practice that..."

Singularity
12-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I think Murray could make a good commentator actually. His voice is incredibly boring, but he seems smart and astute, and a bit of a stats nerd. Compare with Rusedski who has an irritating voice, and says nothing of interest, or Henman who comes across better, but rarely says anything insightful.

But yeah, I do think Fed would make a great commentator. Does anyone have the clip of Fed commentating on the end of his AO 2010 match with Murray? I can't find it now, but remember really enjoying watching it.

fast_clay
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM
andy roddick... cos he knows what goes through the mind of the one slam wonder... roddick's peak humour was around 2002 - 2006... but, reality (fed) crushed his spirit and has struggled to produce the banter... life (fed) is tough on some...

Sophocles
12-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Fuck me, I've just noticed I voted for Blake.

Nole fan
12-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Can't believe someone bad repped me just for making a joke about Federer. :spit:

fast_clay
12-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Can't believe someone bad repped me just for making a joke about Federer. :spit:

i reported it... sorry, but you cant say stuff like that around here...

Fuck me, I've just noticed I voted for Blake.

consider yourself badrepped...

Filo V.
12-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Ferrero for Spanish TV.

Topspindoctor
12-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Federer: "That was an incredible forehand, you know. Not as good as my own, you know. I am the GOAT, you know".

RoddickFan.
12-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Roddick

12-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Federer: "That was an incredible forehand, you know. Not as good as my own, you know. I am the GOAT, you know".

If hes saying the truth, it can never be offensive

cheriamor
12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Agree with some others, where is Nole on this poll? Roddick would be funny. He is incredibly witty and sarcastic. Plus we know he has no trouble speaking about players (ahem calling out Monfils).

12-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Agree with some others, where is Nole on this poll? Roddick would be funny. He is incredibly witty and sarcastic. Plus we know he has no trouble speaking about players (ahem calling out Monfils).

But Dick Todd would be the kind of person who would always be in trouble for stupid shit he said.

You cant say things like he says in the booth and get away with it.

Mĺnu
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Santoro.

Santoro

+1 the guy has such a deep knowledge of the game and has been there for ages.

finishingmove
12-10-2010, 08:32 AM
roddick definitely

nalbyfan
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Federer "Oh nice shot, but I played much better than this poor X, I played so well that I smiled..."
Nadal "Oh you're very bad, you take more than 30 sec to serve.."

cristalmeister
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd love to see Roddick or Haas as commentator