Another one bites the injury dust: Tsonga pulls from Rotterdam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Another one bites the injury dust: Tsonga pulls from Rotterdam

Arkulari
02-05-2010, 11:03 PM
PARIS -- World No. 9 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has pulled out of next week's Rotterdam event because of a stomach muscle injury.

"The problem started in the fourth round of [last month's] Australian Open against Nicolas Almagro," the Frenchman told his Web site (www.jowiltsonga.fr) on Friday.

"It bothered me in the quarterfinal against Novak Djokovic and in the semifinal against [eventual winner] Roger Federer," he said. "I hope I'll be able to go back to training next week without serving."

one month and they are already falling like flies :eek:

I think we should get a permanent thread to put the injured players and their withdraws from tournaments :o

cocrcici
02-05-2010, 11:28 PM

I think we should get a permanent thread to put the injured players and their withdraws from tournaments :o

Good Idea

Corey Feldman
02-06-2010, 12:09 AM
i knew he didnt look right v Federer in that semi final

L James
02-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I hope this is only precautionary, like his withdrawal from Doha. Tsonga seems to be committed to smarter scheduling this season; a good sign.

Arkulari
02-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Smart scheduling is ok, what concerns me is the amount of injuries time-outs are taking in the last couple of years, everyone seems to be dead in HC :eek:

L James
02-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Smart scheduling is ok, what concerns me is the amount of injuries time-outs are taking in the last couple of years, everyone seems to be dead in HC :eek:

True, but with respect to this particular injury, I don't think JWT called for any timeouts on it? He was feeling his abdominal area a few times during the Fed match, though. This leads me to conclude that whilst the injury was causing him some discomfort, it was one that he could "manage" and play through. Fair enough for a GS, but he's now decided that he's going to wait until he's feeling perfectly fine before coming back, which is great :yeah:

Hopefully if more players take this path, we will have more short breaks from the game for some of these top players and less of the lingering, long term stuff (e.g. Nadal from last year).

serveandvolley80
02-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Players are training wrong, they are putting too much strain on their knees, back and lower muscles in general by being that bulky.

I have always said leaner tennis players with sold technique rather then big powerful arms will always be superior players. Tennis not like football, and if you follow Nadal's training regiment then prepare for a short career.

Bigger brain muscles boys, arms don't matter in tennis unless you are a useless ball basher with no variety in your game just power. Do you guys think its a coincidence that guys that look like NBA players are the most injured in tennis?

They should be training more towards athletic/lean bodies. The only exception would be bigger legs, those can only help.

Speed of Light
02-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Clownga can count himself lucky to have had the sub-par career that he has.
It's always one thing or another with this mug.Still fondly remember him skipping the most of the remaining 2008 season after his fluke AO final.
Wondering what the real reason is... extended vacations in Paris perhaps?

rubbERR
02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Clownga can count himself lucky to have had the sub-par career that he has.
It's always one thing or another with this mug.Still fondly remember him skipping the most of the remaining 2008 season after his fluke AO final.
Wondering what the real reason is... extended vacations in Paris perhaps?

nadal = mug

DrJules
02-06-2010, 06:29 PM

It will be interesting to see if Monfils follows. He was having his knee treated against Lopez and moving cautiously.

Sunset of Age
02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Unfortunate for Jo-Willie (and for those visiting the Rotterdam tournament of course, but to a lesser degree), hope he gets well soon.

True, but with respect to this particular injury, I don't think JWT called for any timeouts on it? He was feeling his abdominal area a few times during the Fed match, though. This leads me to conclude that whilst the injury was causing him some discomfort, it was one that he could "manage" and play through. Fair enough for a GS, but he's now decided that he's going to wait until he's feeling perfectly fine before coming back, which is great :yeah:

Hopefully if more players take this path, we will have more short breaks from the game for some of these top players and less of the lingering, long term stuff (e.g. Nadal from last year).

Fully agree with you. Better to take short breaks and make sure you're fully fit for the big occasions, than to burn up your candle prematurely by playing 'everywhere'.

Truc
02-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I think we should get a permanent thread to put the injured players and their withdraws from tournamentsI would find it very helpful too.

I was wondering for example what Korolev's problem is (late withdrawal in Rotterdam)? I couldn't find anything in his player forum and the ATP draw doesn't mention a reason either.

l_mac
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Sky said that DelPo has w/d from Indian Wells.

Davydenko is also uncertain.