Props to CBS and USA [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Props to CBS and USA

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 01:51 AM
I gotta say.... they're making ESPN look like big amateurs. I remember last yaer's coverage was good too but this is just great. Except from showing a match point here or there a few minutes' delayed, EVERYTHING has been live, they stay with coverage til the matches finish, they keep cutting between all these great matches, they have a ton of commentators, the technology is great (How much better is MacCam than ShotSpot and that new 4,000 fpm thing they had on CBS is just :rocker2: AWESOME)

This is how tennis is supposed to be! And I also think they're doing a fabulous job of showcasing international players... I'd never gotten to see Ollie and Sargis and so many more, plus they're having interviews with a lot of the non-American players.

I think it's just great and after all the ESPN crap it's nice to see someone actually do a good job :)

Juanquis.Angel
09-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Amen Bunk! It's been a real treat, seeing all of the international players instead of just the Americans!

Neely
09-05-2004, 02:24 AM
good to hear that... :yeah:
I'm glad you're satisfied with your coverage you're getting from the US Open.

BTW, did the broadcasting station change or was it also the same the years before?

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 02:28 AM
It's the same as it was for the USO last year. This is the only slam that ESPN doesn't do any coverage for :)

Fee
09-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Neely, its been a combination of USA Cable Network and CBS Network for years, but CBS has had very lame moments in the past. I think CBS has been listening to the complaints about ESPN and NBC better than ESPN and NBC have. (Does that make sense?)

And can I just say that thanks to USA Network, I am now a fan of Sargis Sargisian. Now that I've seen him play and heard some of his background, he just seems to be very worthy of admiration. Go Sarge.

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 02:29 AM
And can I just say that thanks to USA Network, I am now a fan of Sargis Sargisian. Now that I've seen him play and heard some of his background, he just seems to be very worthy of admiration. Go Sarge.

Abso-poso-lutely! Anyone who plays tennis in a freezing unheated indoor court wearing gloves to prevent frostbite while practicing is a player I just have to support! :dance:

Neely
09-05-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm glad that they provide so good pictures and that they have good technology, because we all benefit from that as they are the host broadcasters ;) :worship:

yes, he can be great if he's playing like that (last time I've seen him in such a good form was last year at Kremlin Cup, indoor carpet, lost the final vs Guga) and of course due to his career so far he is a total HERO in his country, a country that doesn't have many stars, that much to cheer for and in which some positive news are welcome after it got heavily hit by earthquakes, wars and political problems in the past.
A friend of mine worked for a half a year at the German embassy in Armenia and he is still admiring the Armenian people how hospitable they are even though most of them don't have much themselves.

Go Nalby
09-05-2004, 02:46 AM
Very much agreed! Saturday has been a great day for tennis, and CBS and USA have been showing their best. Great to see live and exciting tennis, and kudos to both networks for letting us see the talents of some of the "non-marquee" players.

But the biggest props of all go to the men today. From Rochus, Moya, Sargsian and Mathieu, there was OUTSTANDING tennis played today. :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Fee
09-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Yes, Mathieu. I just wanted to gather him up in a big group hug. Shame someone had to lose that match. I hope he uses this match to propel himself on to the great things he can accomplish. Stay healthy PHM!

superpinkone37
09-05-2004, 07:53 AM
i have to agree with all the compliments to the two networks, but it does frustrate me how cbs doesn't keep the point score up all the time. sure i can remember when it's deuce or whose advantage it is, but when it comes to all the numbers my memory goes out the window. but maybe it's just me and my poor attention span...

i think the two networks have done a good job this year. as for not showing the game scores at all times...dont worry, its not just you. if i am watching a match then i dont really need to have the game score shown at all times, cuz i can remember the points well enough. the only problem is when im doing something else, like homework, for example, but i have the matzh on in the background and i look up to see the score and i have to wait a while. but thats my fault because i am not really paying attention to the match.

i know my mom too has been saying something about how she doesnt like the score not ebing shown all the time, but i guess if you are really into a match, like i usually am, i dont notice that its not constantly on the screen

J. Corwin
09-05-2004, 08:24 AM
I agree, USA continues to give us the best coverage and opens the can of whoop ass on ESPN. :cool:

Blaze
09-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with all of you and say USA is during a spectacular job with the coverage.

ktwtennis
09-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Absolutely! Besides the fact that Ted Robinson can be very stupid, and that Al guy is just :rolleyes:, USA has been great. CBS is good, but my local station overrode coverage yesterday b/c of college football...:rolleyes: