Stephane Robert, one hell of a road to the semis of Johannesburg [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Stephane Robert, one hell of a road to the semis of Johannesburg

Machiavelli
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
1st round - Brendan Evans
2nd round- Izaak Van der Merwe
1/4 - Dustin Brown

This has to be the easiest draw in the history of the ATP, a disgrace of a tournament. In proper times Robert should not even be TOP200. The guy has no weapon, a girly serve, just plain awful..

Dini
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Kubot's draw to the 4th round of the AO was a bit of a joke too, and I'm a fan. :lol:

R1 Ginepri, R2 Santiago Giraldo, R3 Walkover. :p

JMG
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Montanes in Auckland:
1R Lemke
2R Statham
QF Lammer

gaitare
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
1/4 - Dustin Brown

This has to be the easiest draw in the history of the ATP, a disgrace of a tournament. In proper times Robert should not even be TOP200. The guy has no weapon, a girly serve, just plain awful..
:haha::haha::haha: Which times were "proper"?

Kubot's draw to the 4th round of the AO was a bit of a joke too, and I'm a fan. :lol:

Zverev.

Dini
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I stand corrected. I didn't watch any of the matches, just read about his road to the fourth round, here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_wertheim/02/01/aussie.wrap/index.html). Obviously a mistake there then.

Machiavelli
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Montanes in Auckland:
1R Lemke
2R Statham
QF Lammer

At least Monty has some skills, Robert is a pure joke. Once again proves how even extremely limited players can reach awesome results

iriraz
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Every mediocre player can get some good results in this kind of tourney.
With a good draw and few top players in the mix everything is possible.Considering a player just outside of top 100 is seeded for this tourney says it all

TMJordan
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Tennis is a joke these days.

saniapower
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Tennis is a joke these days.true

Corey Feldman
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
too many players take the week off after a GS = fields like this

bjurra
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
The difference between certain 250 events is just too big. I think ATP should hand out 600 points for tournaments like Valencia or Barcelona, 400 for Queens and Dubai and 200 for this crap.

rhinooooo
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
No depth in the ATP in the last year and a half. Too many players suffering injuries, loss of form, getting older, or have peaked.

Purple Rainbow
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Week after a Grand Slam + 3 ATP events this week + event is not part of a ´swing´ = Robert in semifinal.

Mind you, this tournament might still have a Monfils - Ferrer final and all will be well in the world!

nobama
02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The difference between certain 250 events is just too big. I think ATP should hand out 600 points for tournaments like Valencia or Barcelona, 400 for Queens and Dubai and 200 for this crap.Why only 400 for Dubai?

lalaland
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Why only 400 for Dubai?

I want to know too.
Dubai is loaded (pardon the pun), with top players, 7 of top 10 and I heard Tsonga may get a WC. Acapulco is also a ATP500, no Top 10 players this year :rolleyes:.

BTW, congrats to Robert, for seizing the opportunity.

Horatio Caine
02-05-2010, 07:09 PM
No depth in the ATP in the last year and a half. Too many players suffering injuries, loss of form, getting older, or have peaked.

It might also be caused by an increase in the number of challenger events on the calendar...I think Robert is one of a handful that managed to break through the rankings last year thanks to some good results at that level?

The rankings points structure might also play a part, with some of the higher-ranked players perhaps choosing not to chase points as they might have done in previous years. Certainly, for top 30 finishers, we know that they can only count two '250' events (a third one if they flop at '500' level), so there is less incentive to play as many of those events and a greater chance they will prioritise the ones they prefer to compete in (e.g. home events, particular surface etc). Therefore, some of these draws are bound to suffer quite badly.

Credit to Robert for making the most of his opportunity.

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Stéphane is a grinder, a fighter and a journeyman who does deserve a place well within the Top 200. Beating Evans, Van der Merwe and Brown on outdoor hard courts for him is a very good result. If the surface was clay, the victories were to be expected. On this surface, the case is quite a bit different. He earned this.

Kudos to Stéphane.

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
It might also be caused by an increase in the number of challenger events on the calendar...I think Robert is one of a handful that managed to break through the rankings last year thanks to some good results at that level?

The rankings points structure might also play a part, with some of the higher-ranked players perhaps choosing not to chase points as they might have done in previous years. Certainly, for top 30 finishers, we know that they can only count two '250' events (a third one if they flop at '500' level), so there is less incentive to play as many of those events and a greater chance they will prioritise the ones they prefer to compete in (e.g. home events, particular surface etc). Therefore, some of these draws are bound to suffer quite badly.

The number of Challengers is actually declining.

rhinooooo
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM

I agree to a certain extent. But there are a range of mid-to-higher guys who have really declined in the last 2 years.

You have guys like Blake and Mathieu who have pretty much peaked. Gasquet and Berdych who have not really fulfilled potential. Bagdhatis, Youzhny, Nalbandian struggling with injuries and form. Players like Canas, Chela, Calleri, Horna, Koubek who got older and sort of withered away. Same can be said of Moya and Ferrero. Ferrer was massively impressive 2 years ago, but his level has dropped pretty dramatically. Andreev could be relied upon to put on some good showings and stay in the Top 40. For 2 years he has been absolutely hopeless. Tursunov has had big injury issues.

A year or two ago, Starace and Volandri would put up some decent clay court showings. In fact, pretty much all of the Italian players have been garbage for a couple of years.

2 years ago, Juan Monaco was beginning to look like a guy who'd be a top 5 claycourter. He was even performing well on the hardcourts, then a bunch of injuries, and loss of form - now he's pretty average. Even Boredo has fallen off.

Nieminen was a solid performer. Injuries and loss of form have got him. Same with Hewitt. Grosjean is older and suffered from major issues. Tipsarevic has shown spurts of good form but regressed badly in the last two years.

Young guns such as Gulbis have been pathetic. Korolev equally so. Another one who showed alot of promise was Nishikori. Been out for a year and just on the comeback trail.

You can pretty much go through the current rankings, and the rankings from 2-3 years ago and see there's been a massive decline in depth. And yet the funniest thing of all has been the fact that the Top 2 of Rafa/Fed are at their most susceptible now.

There aren't a bunch of decent mid-to-upper level guys really coming through.

Henry Chinaski
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I agree to a certain extent. But there are a range of mid-to-higher guys who have really declined in the last 2 years.

You have guys like Blake and Mathieu who have pretty much peaked. Gasquet and Berdych who have not really fulfilled potential. Bagdhatis, Youzhny, Nalbandian struggling with injuries and form. Players like Canas, Chela, Calleri, Horna, Koubek who got older and sort of withered away. Same can be said of Moya and Ferrero. Ferrer was massively impressive 2 years ago, but his level has dropped pretty dramatically. Andreev could be relied upon to put on some good showings and stay in the Top 40. For 2 years he has been absolutely hopeless. Tursunov has had big injury issues.

A year or two ago, Starace and Volandri would put up some decent clay court showings. In fact, pretty much all of the Italian players have been garbage for a couple of years.

2 years ago, Juan Monaco was beginning to look like a guy who'd be a top 5 claycourter. He was even performing well on the hardcourts, then a bunch of injuries, and loss of form - now he's pretty average. Even Boredo has fallen off.

Nieminen was a solid performer. Injuries and loss of form have got him. Same with Hewitt. Grosjean is older and suffered from major issues. Tipsarevic has shown spurts of good form but regressed badly in the last two years.

Young guns such as Gulbis have been pathetic. Korolev equally so. Another one who showed alot of promise was Nishikori. Been out for a year and just on the comeback trail.

You can pretty much go through the current rankings, and the rankings from 2-3 years ago and see there's been a massive decline in depth. And yet the funniest thing of all has been the fact that the Top 2 of Rafa/Fed are at their most susceptible now.

There aren't a bunch of decent mid-to-upper level guys really coming through.

True. Look at the end of last season. Seemed to be the same players in the latter stages of all the big tournaments. Have to wonder how much the new found consistency of the likes of Verdasco and Soderling was down to their own improvements and how much was down to everyone else sucking so badly.

malisha
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
no one is taking credit from Stephane coocooCachoo

but this era just sucks

Smoke944
02-05-2010, 09:12 PM
This era is fine. A few good regular ATP players are injured and struggling, but that's about it.

Tom Paulman
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
1/4 - Dustin Brown

I don't think so.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Albert-Montanes.aspx?t=pa&y=2010&m=s&e=301#

EDIT: Good to see I'm not the first one mentioning this

Horatio Caine
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
The number of Challengers is actually declining.

Okay, so the number has declined by 15 compared to last year? Granted, I have noticed that a few more have been cancelled this year...but, you could compare the year 2000, and 122 challengers, with the year 2009 and 162 challengers. Still a noticeable increase in opportunities for lower-ranked players.

Obviously doesn't explain how Robert has made his breakthrough in the last 12 months, but meh...

gaitare
02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
5th seeded Ram was ranked 84th when seeding took place, Robert was seeded fucking 8th, so he performed only slightly better so far than his seeding suggested and no way he's winning next match. How did we arrive at the discussion that this era is weak? Because Robert is top 100? Some pretty average players got to top 50 for brief spells or longer stays in the nineties and early noughties, didn't they?

This tournament has a problem, claycourters go to South America, many good but not great players are resting after the slam, indoor swing started in Europe this week as well. Uninspired draw here and Robert in SF say nothing about the current depth in the ATP.

Jozie
02-05-2010, 10:54 PM
QUOTE=gaitare;9601474]5th seeded Ram was ranked 84th when seeding took place, Robert was seeded fucking 8th, so he performed only slightly better so far than his seeding suggested and no way he's winning next match. How did we arrive at the discussion that this era is weak? Because Robert is top 100? Some pretty average players got to top 50 for brief spells or longer stays in the nineties and early noughties, didn't they?

This tournament has a problem, claycourters go to South America, many good but not great players are resting after the slam, indoor swing started in Europe this week as well. Uninspired draw here and Robert in SF say nothing about the current depth in the ATP.[/QUOTE]

This tournament is doing just fine thank you. :rolleyes:

Going to be supporting Ferrer, Lopez, Monfils and Robert in the semi's tomorrow. I think I would rather be in Johannesburg, than Zagreb or Santiago this week.

bjurra
02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Why only 400 for Dubai?

I wouldnt mind making Dubai a 600-pointer.

My point was primarily that all the current 250 pointers dont belong in one group.

fran70
02-06-2010, 12:38 AM
QUOTE=gaitare;9601474]5th seeded Ram was ranked 84th when seeding took place, Robert was seeded fucking 8th, so he performed only slightly better so far than his seeding suggested and no way he's winning next match. How did we arrive at the discussion that this era is weak? Because Robert is top 100? Some pretty average players got to top 50 for brief spells or longer stays in the nineties and early noughties, didn't they?

This tournament has a problem, claycourters go to South America, many good but not great players are resting after the slam, indoor swing started in Europe this week as well. Uninspired draw here and Robert in SF say nothing about the current depth in the ATP.
QUOTE]

I agree with you. People should some give credit to Robert for reaching his first ATP semifinal instead of blaming him. It will take sometime until this tournament can be positioned back. Some people speaks not to so well about Jo`burg tournament but I don`t think it`s a bad idea at all to play here. Especially for players ranked between 20 and 100 that played in Australia and are planning to do it in USA or Europe after the first round of DC.

fran70
02-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Obviously doesn't explain how Robert has made his breakthrough in the last 12 months, but meh...

:wavey: among many others.... :wavey: A t least those challenger tournaments help many of them to make their first steps on ATP tournaments. Not all but some of them at least get profit of it

SERVivor
02-06-2010, 06:08 AM
I agree the fact that Johannesburg is not part of any swing and that it is being played right after the Australian Open is watering down its draw. the fact that a player barely in the top 100, like Robert is kinda sad, but I think it just because of circumstance, it is not the norm for a 250 point ATP event. Also, an easy draw can be made even easier by the luck of drawing Qualifiers and/or WC's, and because of early round upsets in early rounds. Albert Montanes's easy draw in an Australia warm-up tournament was due to his drawing WC's and Qualifiers in the early rounds. I'm not sure with Robert, but he probably drew at least one WC or Qualifer. A player can have a lucky draw even in a 500 Series tournament or masters series 1000 or Grandslam. Here is Paul Henri Mathieu's path to the inal at the 500 series Hamburg tournament last summer. I think everyone would agree this is a very lucky path to the final:

1st round: bye
2nd round: d. Pere Riba (Qualifier)
3rd roun: d. Daniel Brands (who had upset Gilles Simon)
QF: d. Victo Troicki (who retired at 0-3 first set)
SF: d. Pablo Cuevas (who had defeate a number of seeded players, and had qualified)

Before we denigrate a particular player for making it deep into a tournament and say he sucks, and the tournament sucks, we need to analyze each case before making such broad generalizations.

Matt01
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
no one is taking credit from Stephane coocooCachoo

but this era just sucks

Crap. This era doesn't suck. It's the ATP tour calendar that sucks.

Horatio Caine
02-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, he has just beaten one of the biggest fighters on the tour now... :eek:

SheepleBuster
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
How the heck a girl beat Ferrer? Why isn't Stepane play in WTA?

Ivanatis
02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
How the heck a girl beat Ferrer? Why isn't Stepane play in WTA?

manboobs? or why the girl reference?

Tommy_Vercetti
02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Impressive draw. But look at James Blake's history of easy draws, walkovers and retirements in the tournaments he does well in. That's why he's always got ranking points and not titles.

rwn
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I remember the good old days when Washington, Stoltenberg, Martin and Krajicek were in the Wimbledon semifinals. Such an amazing era will never return. :worship:

Myrre
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I remember the good old days when Washington, Stoltenberg, Martin and Krajicek were in the Wimbledon semifinals. Such an amazing era will never return. :worship:

Oh yeah, R.Krajicek with an embarrasing 6-4 winning record against Sampras. What a crap player indeed. :confused:

philosophicalarf
02-06-2010, 08:02 PM

That's not fair. A consistent guy like Walkover shouldn't be put in the same class as muppets like Ginepri.

Frederick16
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM

haha todd martin is indeed a crappy player :confused: and i think krajicek was the only one who has beaten sampras in 8 years there and he also has beaten stich during that wimby thats why they were not in they semi... what a stupid post. give stephane also some credit. every player in the top 400 of the world can hit a ball.. what is your own level of play? i bet i bagel you twice in 40 minutes :D

Dini
02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
That's not fair. A consistent guy like Walkover shouldn't be put in the same class as muppets like Ginepri.

:rolls:

I concur.

SheepleBuster
02-07-2010, 12:37 AM
manboobs? or why the girl reference?

Stephane is not a man's name. I refuse to believe that. :devil: