Have you ever personally met a player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Have you ever personally met a player?

lleytonfan!
02-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Which ones? Were they nice or rude?

General Suburbia
02-04-2010, 05:52 AM
James Blake in LA, right after he shaved his head for the first time (I think). He actually does seem like a nice dude, the same as how the media portrayed him.

Machiavelli
02-04-2010, 06:34 AM
-Ivanisevic, met him first time as a kid, signed autographs and had a little practice session; legend
-Henman, when he played in Zagreb indoors a couple of years back, very friendly and outgoing
-Youzhny, crazy chap but in a nice way
-Tomas Zib, he tried to hurt me and my buddies by hitting tennis balls towards us, jerk of highest order
-Koubek, never seen a less interested tennis player in my life, does not give a shit
-brazilians Souza and Ferreiro, nice guys, went out for a beer with them in Zagreb after we helped Ferreiro to win a match against Vanek;
-Dick Norman, got so wasted at a players party he had to be carried out of the club, legend

and many more chalenger stories...

mr_burns
02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I assume u mean outside the tennis grounds?!

I met Nadal in the changing rooms at Abercrombie and Fitch in NY (2006). He was nice, I asked for a signature

Although his engl was very bad at this time, he smiled not talked;:)

.-Federers_Mate-.
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Outside of the grounds i met James Blake at melboure aiprot in 09 and met isner this year in auckland

bjurra
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Ancic - nice but reserved
Rafa - when he wasnt a superstar yet - very friendly
Magnus Gustafsson - nicest guy I have ever met
Sampras - friendly but quiet
Andrew Ilie - funny guy
Gonzalez - friendly chatty
Michael Chang - quiet and reserved
Mark Ph - fun guy, very outgoing and friendly
Schalken - likeable and friendly
Spadea - reserved at first, then quite chatty
Canas - I asked for a autograph (for a friend) in a restaurant, he was nice about it.

Not a single player has been unfriendly in any way, then again I havent walked up to Rios or Kafelnikov after a 5 set loss in a GS.

bokehlicious
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Federer a few times

DartMarcus
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Chardy - great guy, I practised with him for about 40 minutes :D
Gasquet - very friendly and funny
Spadea - friendly, but reserved a bit, met him when he was in great form in 2004 or smth like this.
Labadze - simly legendary man, he seemed to love all his fans as nobody else
Safin - arrogant, but funny
Bjorkman - great man, very intelligent and friendly!

Denaon
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
it seems I'm not a huge tennis fan :scratch: cause I never met one :shrug:
:lol:

tennis2tennis
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Federer 6 times in Basel and once in Geneva (i'm not a stalker I promise:devil:)

out_here_grindin
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
A lot if ex college players who are in the lower pro levels. None that would be on interest to people here.

Highest ranked player I have ever met is Danai Udomchoke. He didn't talk much but seemed nice.

I am going to meet Falla this summer when he comes to a local camp.

Frederick16
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
my sister is friends with Andreas Vinciguerra so he comes to our place also.. He is very very very nice

tennishero
02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
i bumped into fena gonzalez near a practise court, said hi.

Spirit_fire
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Only on the WTA- Ana Ivanovic in Koko, a restaurant in Crown Towers in Melbourne. Very nice, friendly.

Everko
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Only on the WTA- Ana Ivanovic in Koko, a restaurant in Crown Towers in Melbourne. Very nice, friendly.

Opportunity lost I assume?

MurrayFan1
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I used to love Wayne Ferreira (I know, wierd...) and I asked him for his autograph at Wimbledon, he was alright considering he'd just lost. I was really young at the time.

I was about 3 inches from Dominika Cibulkova and got her autograph at Wimbledon last year. My pen didn't work and she glared at me in a bemused way and just said "oh it's not working" as I stood with my tongue out drooling and an erection...

Spirit_fire
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Opportunity lost I assume?

I'm a girl. And I don't swing that way. :p

NadalPhan
02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm a girl. And I don't swing that way. :p

I wouldn't blame you if you made her in exception.....she's friggin got.

NadalPhan
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
hot*

DartMarcus
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Have a look at some photos from the last year St.Petersburg Open. :lol: I am the one in red T-Shirt, Chardy is in a yellow one. There is also Gasquet, some others fellow juniors and some coaches. Some photos of Erlich and Ram.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DartMarcus/StPetersburgOpen2009#

Vida
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
zimonjic. coolest dude ever.

btw, good idea for a thread. doubt it hasnt been done before, but it would be cool to have one large ongoing thread on this topic with pictures and all.

Sunset of Age
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Have been very lucky to meet quite a few in person, yes. Among them my favs, Roger & Rafa, Tomas (Berdych), Denko, Ivan (Ljubicic), Marco (Chiudinelli) and more. All were very nice indeed. :)

Gnomey
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Federer - He makes the effort to look you in the eye, which is really nice.
Baggy & Cilic - Didn't see enough of them to 'get' their personality.
Wawrinka - So serious...

serveandvolley80
02-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Andy Roddick gets a bad rap for being a complete jerk, hes actually pretty decent.

Luinir
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Have a look at some photos from the last year St.Petersburg Open. :lol: I am the one in red T-Shirt, Chardy is in a yellow one. There is also Gasquet, some others fellow juniors and some coaches. Some photos of Erlich and Ram.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DartMarcus/StPetersburgOpen2009#

Lucky boy ;)

xargon
02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Zimonjic and Nestor. Very nice, posed for photo with me.
Querry and Roddick. Roddick very friendly, shook my hand.

nastoff
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
haven't met anyone but nice thread to read :p

save ausdecline
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Met Lleyon Hewitt and Peter Luczak (geniunely nice guy)

Ilovetheblues_86
02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Rui Machado is very friendly, a good guy,
Thiago Alves is from my city, we talk sometimes.

FlameOn
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Nice thread. I'm jealous of y'all. :D

michellej
02-05-2010, 12:49 AM
I had a nice conversation with Karlovic's coach, and then Karlovic after he had checked out of the hotel that we were staying in Montreal(2007), His coach & I talked about how desrving Karlovic was of his success because he works so hard for it, then Ivo came over...this was just after he played Federer. I told him that the next time they played he would win a set off him, and then after that he would beat him. And that's exactly what he did in 2008 in Cincinnatti. I told him how great it was for him to have won 2 titles (and he smiled and said 3 titles LOL)

Ivo was soft spoken and didn't stutter (he has speech problems). And his then coach was also very nice and down to earth.

I also talked for a while to Calleri's wife about how she managed to be at tournaments with a 2 yr old (Calleri was standing there holding the baby who was very cute and had learned to blow kisses ). Wife's mother was with them to help. His wife was fun.. the only thing I said to Calleri was how lovely his little girl was not 1 bit of tennis talk.

I saw Brad Gilbert wandering around by himself, and a ton of other players..Stepanik in a corner on his laptop, etc.

bad gambler
02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Andy Roddick gets a bad rap for being a complete jerk, hes actually pretty decent.

Agree with this from my own experience.

JesusFederer
02-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I met Fit Dave once in Mcdonalds teh tourney in Basel. It was right before the final with Roger in 2008, so i asked him why he would be eating Mickey Dees before such and important match. He said he could afford it cos hes more talented than Roger :rolleyes:

FlameOn
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
I met Fit Dave once in Mcdonalds teh tourney in Basel. It was right before the final with Roger in 2008, so i asked him why he would be eating Mickey Dees before such and important match. He said he could afford it cos hes more talented than Roger :rolleyes:
:haha: Nalbandian. :worship:

Action Jackson
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM

http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

star
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM
The horse that Nalby later ate?

Henry Chinaski
02-05-2010, 02:16 AM
I met Marcus Buckland. Bow before me.

Much more important than any player.

He was cool and sounds more ehhh, working class cockney off the air.

Sunset of Age
02-05-2010, 02:27 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/CG_Brouwer/2008_Hamburg/P1010635_Berdych_smiling.jpg

Tomas smiles at ye all. :)

Yep, I met him. :angel:

chowdahead25
02-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Sam Warburg- Really nice local guy, shame he retired.
Scott Oudsema- Nice guy
Mark Knowles- Awesome guy, very friendly
Ramon Delgado- Said hi and signed an autograph
Wayne Bryan- Papa Bryan is such an awesome dude. Great with kids.
Jesse Levine- Talked with him after he beat Harrison in Sac Chally, really nice. His coach is one of the most awesome humans ever. SARG!
Ryan Harrison- Told him good match, he said thanks brah. Cool guy.
Jesse Witten- surprisingly quiet.

Anna Kournikova- Gave me a hug when I was 13 or 14 at a WTT autograph session. :worship:
Rennae Stubbs- Cool
Kveta Peschke- Quiet
Coco Vandeweghe- Crazy outgoing, loves to sing mid convo.
Angela Haynes- Really easy to talk too.
Elena Likhovtseva- Gave me a racket after we talked.

Think that's about it. Said hi to Murphy Jensen as well, and we exchanged a handshake.

leng jai
02-05-2010, 03:14 AM
I hope to get Xristos' autograph one day.

jcempire
02-05-2010, 03:31 AM
No. I only love to meet with sexy women......LOL

leng jai
02-05-2010, 03:39 AM
No. I only love to meet with sexy women......LOL

Holy shit

Mimi
02-05-2010, 03:58 AM
:haha: Nalbandian. :worship:
:scratch: do you really believe what this JesusFederer said?

tennisphilia
02-05-2010, 05:02 AM
literally bumped into robredo at the french open. he was cool enough to smile, and apologize. he was on his way to a practice match...

alfredh
02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I saw several players in the player's restaurant at RG. Safin, Hewitt, Malisse, ...
Christophe Rochus in the Daviscup '04...

fangirl
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't blame you if you made her in exception.....she's friggin got.

I'm a girl and I'd make an exception for Ana Ivanovic. She is hot enough to turn me gay in 3.2 seconds.

FlameOn
02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
:scratch: do you really believe what this JesusFederer said?
:haha: I didn't really think about whether it was true or not, I just thought it was funny.

Jelena
02-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Zabaleta, Gaudio, El Aynaoui, Philippoussis, Corretja, Calatrava (when he still was a player), Ricardo Mello, Dustin Brown, Nadal (as 17-year-old boy), Federer, Blake, Henman, Nalbandian, Puerta, JC Ferrero, Nico Lapentti, David Sanchez......

FlameOn
02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Zabaleta, Gaudio, El Aynaoui, Philippoussis, Corretja, Calatrava (when he still was a player), Ricardo Mello, Dustin Brown, Nadal (as 17-year-old boy), Federer, Blake, Henman, Nalbandian, Puerta, JC Ferrero, Nico Lapentti, David Sanchez......
How was Blake? Was he nice?

Wojtek
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
a lot of.......

Jelena
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
How was Blake? Was he nice?
We didn't chat THAT much, but yeah, those two minutes he was nice.

FlameOn
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
We didn't chat THAT much, but yeah, those two minutes he was nice.
Glad to hear it. ;) :lol:

Too bad nobody's met Nando. I know Carlita has, but she's admin. :lol:

JesusFederer
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I know! Cant believe Bandy still does this shit! Its getting so lame! ;)

fangirl
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Glad to hear it. ;) :lol:

Too bad nobody's met Nando. I know Carlita has, but she's admin. :lol:

Only met them briefly, but Fernando was really nice and his dad was just plain awesome. Coolest guy ever.

FlameOn
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Only met them briefly, but Fernando was really nice and his dad was just plain awesome. Coolest guy ever.
:eek: That's great! :D

saniapower
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
some juniors

Commander Data
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
m< friend actually played Roger Federer once, and he did beat him. It is really true. asterix is that Roger was 8 years old and he was about 15 at the time.

Persimmon
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/CG_Brouwer/2008_Hamburg/P1010635_Berdych_smiling.jpg

Tomas smiles at ye all. :)

Yep, I met him. :angel:

He's cute:)

illepingis
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
i dont think i have done that but i standed in a full crowded centrecourt in bĺstad

MurrayFan1
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Sam Warburg- Really nice local guy, shame he retired.
Scott Oudsema- Nice guy
Mark Knowles- Awesome guy, very friendly
Ramon Delgado- Said hi and signed an autograph
Wayne Bryan- Papa Bryan is such an awesome dude. Great with kids.
Jesse Levine- Talked with him after he beat Harrison in Sac Chally, really nice. His coach is one of the most awesome humans ever. SARG!
Ryan Harrison- Told him good match, he said thanks brah. Cool guy.
Jesse Witten- surprisingly quiet.

Anna Kournikova- Gave me a hug when I was 13 or 14 at a WTT autograph session. :worship:
Rennae Stubbs- Cool
Kveta Peschke- Quiet
Coco Vandeweghe- Crazy outgoing, loves to sing mid convo.
Angela Haynes- Really easy to talk too.
Elena Likhovtseva- Gave me a racket after we talked.

Think that's about it. Said hi to Murphy Jensen as well, and we exchanged a handshake.

:eek: My God you are the envy of every man! I don't think I'd be able resist a cheeky arse squeeze if I was in your position! :devil:

Ouragan
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Man all these players you've met seem to be the perfect gentlemen, no wonder we love 'em.

I got really close to Fed as he exited Bercy stadium in 2008 just after seeing his match, but he was pounced upon by a gang of crazed teenage girls :)