New tournament: Who's the GOAT? (from Eurosport Website) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New tournament: Who's the GOAT? (from Eurosport Website)

DrJules
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Eurosport-Yahoo! has set up a new tennis tournament to find who is the greatest men's tennis player of all time - and ultimately it will be up to you, the readers, to decide.

Who's the GOAT? (greatest of all time) is a 16-man knockout tournament that will pit the best of the best against each other every week.

There have been 16 men who have won three or more Grand Slam titles in the Open era and we have seeded our competitors based on those successes. Where players have won the same amount, the number of ATP titles they have won acts as a tie-break.

Each week we will present one match-up and get you the readers to vote on who would win if both players faced off against each other while playing at the absolute peak of their abilities.

To help stir debate, Eurosport tennis commentator and blogger Simon Reed will analyse each hypothetical match every Thursday and offer his opinion on how it might go.

Then the following Wednesday we will reveal the result of the match with a selection of your comments, before Simon presents the next match-up the following day.

When analysing each match, we'd urge you to consider the players playing one set on grass, one set on a clay court, and one set on a hard court before deciding who you think might win.

However, there are no hard and fast rules. Each match is its own unique event. You might think Roger Federer is the greatest, but also that an in-form John McEnroe would beat him every time. You might just be a big Boris Becker fan and want him to progress in the tournament. You might have never warmed to Pete Sampras and want him out straight away.

As we said, ultimately it is up to you. If you want to set up a Facebook page to drum up support for Bjorn Borg, or tweet all your friends to vote for Andre Agassi - go ahead.

It's all a bit of fun, and hopefully it will spark some great tennis debate.

Find the tournament draw below and log on to Eurosport-Yahoo! on Thursday when Simon Reed will run the rule over the first match - Roger Federer v Jim Courier - and you will be able to start voting.

WHO'S THE GOAT? - THE DRAW

Top half

1-Roger Federer

16-Jim Courier

-

8-Mats Wilander

9-Boris Becker

-

5-Ivan Lendl

12-Rod Laver

-

13-John Newcombe

4-Jimmy Connors

+++

Bottom half

3-Bjorn Borg

14-Ken Rosewall

-

6-Andre Agassi

11-Rafael Nadal

-

7-John McEnroe

10-Stefan Edberg

-

15-Guillermo Vilas

2-Pete Sampras

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03022010/58/new-tournament-goat.html

Sunset of Age
02-03-2010, 01:27 PM
To help stir debate, Eurosport tennis commentator and blogger Simon Reed will analyse each hypothetical match every Thursday and offer his opinion on how it might go.

Oooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy... :spit:

scoobs
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Andy Murray's not in it, so Reed is basically fucked :lol:

Puschkin
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM

I am sure he'll find a way to talk about Murray 90 % of the time. :rolleyes:

TheWall
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Andy Murray's not in it, so Reed is basically fucked :lol:

He'll revise the draw and replace Laver with Murray.

prafull
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Most important question is which surface this tournament is conducted on? :D

ayloKolya
02-03-2010, 03:34 PM
load of shit

Sophocles
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Most important question is which surface this tournament is conducted on? :D

Doesn't matter, Laver still wins.

barbadosan
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
It seemed a fun idea as I was reading, until I came to the name Simon Reed..... Maybe I'm not being fair, but his other mouthings have really turned me off him

Quadruple Tree
02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Doesn't matter, Laver still wins.

Because of all those hard court Slams he won, right?

rocketassist
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
There's Nadal out already.

Sophocles
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Because of all those hard court Slams he won, right?

He dominated the opposition in the hard-court tournaments they had back then. Not his fault they weren't slams.

(I wasn't being entirely serious.)

Har-Tru
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Laver and Rosewall 12 and 14? :spit: :rolls:

SetSampras
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
1. Laver
2. Rosewall
3. Tilden
4. Pancho

Sunset of Age
02-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Laver and Rosewall 12 and 14? :spit: :rolls:

You've even managed to read up till they were mentioned? :p

SheepleBuster
02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Simon Reed: the final will be played between Verdasco (the world #1) vs. Murray (the future Goat).

CyBorg
02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Stupid bunch of nonsense for imbeciles by imbeciles.

ApproachShot
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
What a mockery this makes of the sport and its history. This kind of voting competition is apt perhaps for Pop Idol - not for tennis. But then again, I can't say that I would be terribly surprised if it transpired that the whole idea was Simon Reed's brainchild.

RIboy
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

aulus
02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Pancho Gonzalez is missing. :mad:

-Valhalla-
02-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Laver seeded #12? Retarded poll, retarded tourney and a lame attempt to increase web traffic. I hope someone gets fired for this.

Goldenoldie
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Very simple, see who Simon Reed favours and pick the opposite.

bokehlicious
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
1. Laver
2. Rosewall
3. Tilden
4. Pancho

Where is Pete... :confused: :awww: