Goran Ivanisevic is returning to professional tennis to coach world number 10 Marin C [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Goran Ivanisevic is returning to professional tennis to coach world number 10 Marin C

daddy
02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Zagreb - Former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic is returning to professional tennis to coach world number 10 Marin Cilic, Zagreb media reported Monday. "It is a great honour to work with Goran," 21-year-old Cilic told local media.

Ivanisevic won Wimbledon in 2001 and the Davis Cup in 2005. He was supposed to coach the Croatian team for the Davis Cup in 2006 but resigned after a conflict with the national tennis federation.

Cilic will still keep Bob Brett, Croatian media reported earlier today.

Dougie
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Cilic will still keep Bob Brett, Croatian media reported earlier today.

Didnīt Brett coach Ivanisevic at one point? They might make a good team, although I donīt quite see what Goranīs input to coaching would be, besides serve. I sure hope he isnīt hired to do any mental coaching...

clandis
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Didnīt Brett coach Ivanisevic at one point? They might make a good team, although I donīt quite see what Goranīs input to coaching would be, besides serve. I sure hope he isnīt hired to do any mental coaching...

True, I love Goran , but he's a nut.

Sunset of Age
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM

:lol: indeed.

Stensland
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
did they give any details about the actual schedule? will he be the roachie kind of coach, going to the big tournaments while leaving out the smaller ones? i just can't see ivanisevic travelling the globe WITH brett.

Byrd
02-01-2010, 05:51 PM
The serve & volley are the things I expect Goran to help with.

Vida
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
it might be better for ivanisevic to try coaching some lower profile players before, than give it a shot at big dogs.

oranges
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
did they give any details about the actual schedule? will he be the roachie kind of coach, going to the big tournaments while leaving out the smaller ones? i just can't see ivanisevic travelling the globe WITH brett.

No details. He's still with Brett. It's just mentioned that he discussed it before with Goran and is happy to work with him in Zagreb. It's sort of implied it's a possibility in other tournaments, especially if Brett is not there, but nothing specific.

I actually think Goran could be beneficial as "mental coach" :haha: Not to give advice on how to prepare for a match, but help him unwind before. They seem to have fun working working together

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=208804&stc=1&d=1265033416

oematoema
02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Goran will be Marin's coach in kicking the net at Wimbledon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1430000/images/_1430550_goran_kick150.jpg

SheepleBuster
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
it was fine while it lasted. Goran is like the kiss of death. He picked Murray to win slams in the past 3 years and he didn't. My advice to cilic is, don't quit your night job. With Goran, you will be needing it.

tektonac
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Goran will be Marin's coach in kicking the net at Wimbledon.

i remember Goran as a nut job. we may get to enjoy his outbursts again.

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Uhm, pretty bad choice for a coach I'd say. Accomplished player, sure, but he can't exactly teach Marin anything that he can do better other than serve.

DrJules
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I assume he will not be the "head" coach.:rolls:

iriraz
02-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Goran can teach Cilic the art of breaking rackets and teach him how to argue with the umpire

Boboskidaj
02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
That reminds me of a story when Goran was so angry with the umpire he was trying to hit him with the ball threw the whole match! :lol: balls where flying all over the place until he finally hits him in the chest, he started playing by 'tennis rules' after that :D and managed to win the match in the end.

Bloody lunatic :lol:

Voo de Mar
02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
At least Goran will teach Cilic how to play at 6:6 in the tie-break :yeah: Ivanisevic and Federer are the best examples how to play since then.

krystlel
02-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Can't imagine Ivanisevic being calm enough to be a good coach.

R.Federer
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Wow, we'll get to see Goran more :inlove:

aulus
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
if Ivanisevic can teach Cilic to win more easy points on serve, that would be very good.

a 6'6 man with power should have a dominant serve.

croat123
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
well, goran has a ton of big match experience at all of the slams and has one of the best serves of all time. brett should obviously remain the main coach, but goran could be useful. he would also make a good lefty hitting partner ;)

BIGMARAT
02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
for some reason, I really dont see Goran as a good coach.

soraya
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Too good.

Kolya
02-02-2010, 12:11 AM
A bit of a clash of personalities.

May work.

Rosa Luxembourg
02-02-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure that clowns make good coaches, but I may be wrong....

Mimi
02-02-2010, 02:56 AM
why he didn't coach Ancic? :confused:

Mimi
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Wow, we'll get to see Goran more :inlove:

yes, pete beat goran 6:0 in the department of achievements but goran beat Pete 6:0 as revenge, in the deparment of "don't get older" :inlove:

Macbrother
02-02-2010, 04:43 AM
yes, pete beat goran 6:0 in the department of achievements but goran beat Pete 6:0 as revenge, in the deparment of "don't get older" :inlove:

Stop picking on Pete's hair Mimi. :)

Mimi
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Stop picking on Pete's hair Mimi. :)
my dear friend, I love Pete too, but its truth that he looks much older than goran who is the same age as him, not only his hairs, but his overall look:sad:

Macbrother
02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
my dear friend, I love Pete too, but its truth that he looks much older than goran who is the same age as him, not only his hairs, but his overall look:sad:

It's true. Not really sure what happened, but between '99 and '02 Pete looked like he aged 10 years.

Mimi
02-02-2010, 08:27 AM
It's true. Not really sure what happened, but between '99 and '02 Pete looked like he aged 10 years.
too much pressure to break the records, or his wife is working him too much :lol::devil:

fangirl
02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Goran can help with the serve, as well as generally giving Marin even more of an AWESOME factor than he already does.

Love them both. This whole partnership idea wins simply because I like it when people I like team up.

samanosuke
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
At least Goran will teach Cilic how to play at 6:6 in the tie-break :yeah: Ivanisevic and Federer are the best examples how to play since then.

+1

Actually Goran is one of the best Cilic's choices . His serve motion and percent of first serve are just awful .First serve is maybe the worst part of Cilic game , specially when he is under pressure . And I am hoping that he will help him about choking when he needs to serve for set or match . Goran is great choice for improving bad parts of Cilic's game

tyruk14
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
It will be great to have Goran back on the circuit in some manner. Whether this is as great for Cilic as it is for the fans remains to be seen. Cilic has the serve, why not get Goran in your corner? Hope it works out for them both.

Dini
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Hopefully Cilic can get some proper serving lessons now.

freeandlonely
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
shocked

Collective
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Good news. Marin has a lot of room for improvement on his racket bouncing. No one better than Goran for that!

Purple Rainbow
02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Cool.
Soon we'll have a Good Marin, Bad Marin and 911 Marin! :yeah:

andylovesaustin
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah... I always thought of Goran as a headcase! :lol:

I've always liked him though. He sure is cute. I certainly won't mind seeing him in the stands.

Who knows? He might do a great job.

Dougie
02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
+1

Actually Goran is one of the best Cilic's choices . His serve motion and percent of first serve are just awful .First serve is maybe the worst part of Cilic game , specially when he is under pressure . And I am hoping that he will help him about choking when he needs to serve for set or match . Goran is great choice for improving bad parts of Cilic's game

Iīm not sure Goran is the best choice for helping out with choking. Take a look at the last service game against Rafter at the Wimbledon final. He won it eventually, but his choking was momumental. Goran shouldnīt coach anyone with mental issues. Donīt get me wrong, heīs one of my all time favorites, but heīs a headcase.

Deathless Mortal
02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if it is a good choice overall, but Goran can sure help Marin serve better. As some of people here have said, it's really bad that a guy who is 2m tall serves that bad, and it would be really great if he could win some more easy points with his serve.

RIboy
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4D5dvNVn-4

just look at goran face :lol:

samanosuke
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Take a look at the last service game against Rafter at the Wimbledon final. He won it eventually, but his choking was momumental.

Yes, that is true . But that was a choke of 30 years old desperate man who lost 3 finals and entered a tournament with WC and 125 ATP ranking who couldn't beat even his mother at that moment . That choke wasn't question of winning a Wimby tittle , he will probably commit a suicide that he lost 4 th final .

And try to imagine a man who couldn't serve for the set in first round on usual tournament or a man who misses all first serves in breaker in that position . In that position Cilic would miss entire British island not only service field

SetSampras
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Ehhhh....... I wouldnt want a headcase coaching me. Goran was tremdendously talented and should have won a handful of slams but he sure isnt going to teach Cilic mental toughness.

SetSampras
02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Goran could teach Cilic how to be a deadly grass player.. Unfortunately grass isnt true grass anymore. Maybe Goran could help with Cilic's attack and incorporate some of his game into Cilic's arsenal

oranges
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Iīm not sure Goran is the best choice for helping out with choking. Take a look at the last service game against Rafter at the Wimbledon final. He won it eventually, but his choking was momumental. Goran shouldnīt coach anyone with mental issues. Donīt get me wrong, heīs one of my all time favorites, but heīs a headcase.

While there is no shortage of a wide variety of nutty episodes of one kind or another, surely that final is not the one to be mentioned. A run out of nowhere and undoubtedly the last chance to win the damn thing, it's a feat he was able to stand on his legs at all, let alone serve it out. Nadal's legs were wobbly serving for his Wimbledon with a prospect of many more opportunities.

As for Marin, I'm not sure why people think he's in need of a coach who'd hold his hand all along the way and show him the ropes. His game is developed enough by now. It's more about having another pair of eyes to give input when needed. Goran has tons of experience to draw on. More importantly, it was my impression that, while he was second coach to Pilic for DC, he was valued by players at least as much for creating an upbeat atmosphere as for any advice. I picked the same vibes here so far. I think they started off just right, work together in one tournament, see how it goes and take it from there. He still has his old coach, with whom he worked for years, but who is not always available to travel with him.

DrJules
02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Hopefully Cilic can get some proper serving lessons now.

:rolls:

On a serious note Cilic has one of the better serves in mens tennis and averages around 10 aces a match this year.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx

tektonac
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
priceless.

http://tinyurl.com/ydoe8g5

croat123
02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
:rolls:

On a serious note Cilic has one of the better serves in mens tennis and averages around 10 aces a match this year.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx
it's still the part of his game that can improve the most imo. can't wait for his match tomorrow :D

daddy
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Two months after I think Goran is having positive impact on his game. Marin is shortening his points and goes much more to the net. Volleys look better too!

Doomach777
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Gusto.

cobalt60
03-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Bravo :bigclap: Nice strides so far!