Why ATP did slow down faster surfaces??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why ATP did slow down faster surfaces???

Mosquito3
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I would like to know what's your opinion about the decision of ATP to slow down the faster surfaces like Wimbledon grass and Australian Open hard courts. Why ATP did it? Do you prefer the slowed down surfaces or did you like better the faster old ones?
Look at this link. This video explains how the Wimbledon grass has changed from 2003 to 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw
P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Action Jackson
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Easy.

The game at the time on the faster surfaces was just big serving, not even serving and volleying for the most part. There were no rallies at all and people were becoming disinterested, so they slowed down the surfaces on the faster courts to produce more rallies and have the ball in play, instead of serving exhibitions where many cases, they could have gone straight to the tiebreaker and quickened the clay to homogenise the surface speeds.

Like anything to fix one problem, they created another one which they weren't anticipating. Very hard to get the balance right and arguably it has gone too much the other way.

Yes, it was lightning fast courts and light tennis balls on the faster surfaces. It provided diversity then and required a different set of skills, but now pretty much the same game can be played on all surfaces.

Har-Tru
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I would like to know what's your opinion about the decision of ATP to slow down the faster surfaces like Wimbledon grass and Australian Open hard courts. Why ATP did it? Do you prefer the slowed down surfaces or did you like better the faster old ones?
Look at this link. This video explains how the Wimbledon grass has changed from 2003 to 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw
P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

The Plexicushion used there is faster than the old Rebound Ace.

Mosquito3
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Easy.

The game at the time on the faster surfaces was just big serving, not even serving and volleying for the most part. There were no rallies at all and people were becoming disinterested, so they slowed down the surfaces on the faster courts to produce more rallies and have the ball in play, instead of serving exhibitions where many cases, they could have gone straight to the tiebreaker and quickened the clay to homogenise the surface speeds.

Like anything to fix one problem, they created another one which they weren't anticipating. Very hard to get the balance right and arguably it has gone too much the other way.

Yes, it was lightning fast courts and light tennis balls on the faster surfaces. It provided diversity then and required a different set of skills, but now pretty much the same game can be played on all surfaces.

Maybe that's the reason....but i like better the old S&V play :rolleyes: .....points of view
P.S. Action Jackson, what's the name of the girl on your avatar? :hearts: