Who is mentally the strongest player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is mentally the strongest player?

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
So who's the strongest mentally? Who is the biggest fighter?
Who can take it on the big points?

bobrocks
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
To stay physically strong, and consistantly make it through all those rounds of GS tourneys, and never getting upset early, for 23 straight and counting, 18 of 19 finals, you have to say Federer.
To see him getting raked over the coals against Davedynko, and hear him afterwards saying how he just said to himself, "the shadow will be gone soon, and Dank won't keep playing at that level, and even if I have to come back from 2 sets down I can still do it..." and then do it!
That takes an amazingly strong self belief and determination.

Noleta
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Fed and Rafa.Can't believe Nole is in that poll?:spit:

abraxas21
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
1- Pony boy
2- Nadal
3- Federer
4- Murray
5- Djokovic

Byrd
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Fed and Nadull, after these 2, I would put Murray, Del Pony and Duck in another bracket.

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Fed and Rafa.Can't believe Nole is in that poll?:spit:

After all, the guy has won a slam. You can only do that if you have a certain mental toughness and determination. It is a big step to take mentally, and Murray, for example, isn't up to it yet (as much as I would like him to).

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
NADAL the Spartan King

vn01
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Del Potro

Noleta
01-31-2010, 06:41 PM
After all, the guy has won a slam. You can only do that if you have a certain mental toughness and determination. It is a big step to take mentally, and Murray, for example, isn't up to it yet (as much as I would like him to).

I think it's easier to win your first,no expectations etc...but his results after that shows mentally he's not thoughe:shrug:

Sophocles
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Borg.

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
I think it's easier to win your first,no expectations etc...but his results after that shows mentally he's not thoughe:shrug:

I'm not a fan of him, let's make that clear. But he has won 5 masters series tournaments, he has won the Masters cup, beat Federer in Basel. He has won the most matches of every player last year.
These are some results to be proud of.

Have to admit he can be quite incosistent sometimes, that's why I didn't vote for him myself.;)

Quakes
01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Rafael Nadal. His mental game is invincible.

Of others that I have seen, Pete Sampras and Michael Chang.

Noleta
01-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm not a fan of him, let's make that clear. But he has won 5 masters series tournaments, he has won the Masters cup, beat Federer in Basel. He has won the most matches of every player last year.
These are some results to be proud of.

Have to admit he can be quite incosistent sometimes, that's why I didn't vote for him myself.;)

Mentally he hasn't been the same player since 18 months.Hope this year will be much better.

Agree.

Voo de Mar
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Del Potro, among active players in the last 12 months.

Shirogane
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Pony & Fed

siddy
01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Rafa

Mohammad
01-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt, Rafa Nadal is by far the strongest.

rwn
01-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt, Rafa Nadal is by far the strongest.

Yeah. His fightback against Murray was amazing. Compare that with Hewitt who fought until the end in his match and now needs surgery.

TheTennisFanatic
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
ooh i voted for nadal. but i wish i had voted other for hewitt. grit is ALL he has.

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Del Potro, among active players in the last 12 months.

I partially agree. Think he still has a lot to learn. It's true he's great at fighting back, but he sometimes does that after he has choked away some chances (Against Federer in Masters, Blake in AO). Therefore, he always plays long matches which cost him in the latter stages of the tournament. Si I think he needs to become more efficient and take his chances at the first time.

Voo de Mar
01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
I partially agree. Think he still has a lot to learn. It's true he's great at fighting back, but he sometimes does that after he has choked away some chances (Against Federer in Masters, Blake in AO). Therefore, he always plays long matches which cost him in the latter stages of the tournament. Si I think he needs to become more efficient and take his chances at the first time.

Each top player wasted in a career plenty of setpoints etc. It's a normal thing when you play 70-90 matches in a season (more than 150 sets). Other weak players play 50 matches so obviously they often lose their matches 2-6 3-6 and no-one gives a shit about the chances their wasted because they hadn't even chances to win whatever ;)

Logical
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
El Matador. Period.

Voo de Mar
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Nr 1 Fan: in the other words, Blake lost in his career 13 five-setters, Lendl 22 but who would say Blake is a stronger mentally player than Lendl knowing that Blake won 4 and Lendl 36?

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Each top player wasted in a career plenty of setpoints etc. It's a normal thing when you play 70-90 matches in a season (more than 150 sets). Other weak players play 50 matches so obviously they often lose their matches 2-6 3-6 and no-one gives a shit about the chances their wasted because they hadn't even chances to win whatever ;)

Yes, but if you compare Delpo to Federer and Nadal, I think these guys are mentally stronger, because of their focus and their efficiency. They only need one chance to take a set or a match. With Federer, it almost seems as if he aces his opponent on command when he's breakpoint down.

Also I think Delpo showed this AO, he has a lot to improve on. Federer never loses to players like Cilic in fourth round of a slam. To be mentally the strongest, Delpo needs win his opening matches far more easy than he has done till now, he needs to focus from the beginning of the tournament.

Voo de Mar
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, but if you compare Delpo to Federer and Nadal, I think these guys are mentally stronger, because of their focus and their efficiency. They only need one chance to take a set or a match. With Federer, it almost seems as if he aces his opponent on command when he's breakpoint down.

Maybe you've already forgotten that Federer lost last year to Tsonga despite 5:1 in the final set? Federer last year for example lost three matches being two points away from victory whilst Del Potro didn't lose such a match once.

born_on_clay
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Nadal

Nr 1 Fan
01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe you've already forgotten that Federer lost last year to Tsonga despite 5:1 in the final set? Federer last year for example lost three matches being two points away from victory whilst Del Potro didn't lose such a match once.

That proves you right. I only hope he takes it quicker than and he doens't have to play an extra set like against Federer in WTF. Then again, losing that second set tiebreak and still winning the third set proves he has a lot of fighting skills.

SetSampras
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Federer is among the best of mental toughness for his consistency... But when that mental toughness is challenged by someone like Nadal imposes his will on Fed, then Fed looks like a mental chump.

Sampras and Borg are the top 2 in terms of mental toughness

Voo de Mar
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
That proves you right. I only hope he takes it quicker than and he doens't have to play an extra set like against Federer in WTF. Then again, losing that second set tiebreak and still winning the third set proves he has a lot of fighting skills.

Thankfully even the biggest champions don't win all matches during a season 6-2 6-4. If it happened, tennis wouldn't be interesting for millions of people.

Fed Fan
01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Federer and Nadal, though in different ways. Federer is excellent at fending off break points and match points and getting his way back into matches; but his break point converstion rate is quite poor, which has cost him on some big occasions. Nadal, on the other hand, maintains an extremely high level of concentration and fighting-spirt almost constantly. Finally, I think Hewitt deserves a place on this poll.

Arkulari
01-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Rafa, Juan and Roger in that order ;)

Mechlan
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM

:yeah:

solowyn
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Probably Nadal, on the poll options. It was hard watching Roger's frustration during the US Open final last year.

sawan66278
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Overall, Rafa BY FAR.

Over the last six months, Delpo.

Bascule
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Overall, Rafa BY FAR.

Over the last six months, Delpo.

:lol: Sure, Delpo, especially in last 4 months.;)

Rafa was for a longer period, Delpo was for a short one...and Roger? Seems he still is.

dombrfc
01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Del Potro surely! not physically, sadly.

DrJules
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Agree about Rafael Nadal, but change the Del Potro / Federer order. Del Potro impressive, but wait to see if he can do it when favourite most of the time.

andylovesaustin
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Roger.

luie
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Rafa is just ahead of federer for me for now because his mental strenght took a hit in this tourny after COWARDLY retiring after begin owned federer takes his beatings like a man injury or not. Time will eventually show the true spartan is, for now moonballer is just ahead.

sennoc
01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Definitely not Nadal - why you can read here:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=152152

So, Federer.

Roamed
01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
A year ago I would've said Rafa without a shadow of doubt. At USO it was DelPo. After today, currently Federer, but we'll see when it comes to the smaller tournaments.

swisht4u
01-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Fed, Nadal and Potro.
Potro doesn't care seemingly who he's playing, his performance stays about the same. He doesn't seem affected by big points or if it's a GS. Too early to tell now though, he hasn't been at the top with everyone gunning for him. He has to do it more than a few months. Part of this may be physical, he isn't always tournament ready physically. Very tough mentally from what I've seen.

Nadal is at or near the top, if he's physically ready anyone is in for a long day. He's ready mentally every tournament.

Fed is as tough as they come, coming back from 2 sets to lose Wimby to Nadal was all mental. He refused to quit. Losing a game finally at the end was credit to Nadal.
His streaks testify to his mental toughness. Even with his great skills he could have easily lost a few more here and there with any lapse in the mental department.

Of the three above, I have to say Nadal and Federer, I can't pick between them.

Potro has more to prove.

ayloKolya
01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Federerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gnomey
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
That Wimbledon 2008 tiebreak...

tennisphilia
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Definitely Federer. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring reality.

Persimmon
02-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Federer.

Roddickominator
02-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I have to give Roddick a mention because I am a homer and no one else mentioned him...Roddick has a good deal of mental strength to be able to compete with the big boys with his lack of talent.

Peak Nadal is the strongest mentally that I have ever seen.
Federer is next...he only folds against Nadal really.
Del Potro has definitely impressed me with his mental strength....I saw glimpses of it over the last few years and wasn't quite sure if he had enough of it to challenge the best. He proved it at the US Open and continued to fight through injury at the AO.

NadalPhan
02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Peak Nadal is the strongest for me.

tennisphilia
02-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Peak Nadal is the strongest for me.

Nadal was so mentally strong in the 2008 Wimbledon final. To keep on going at it in the 5th set, when he was under pressure - that was the strongest I've seen in a player for a long time.

But still, that was just for a match. Overall, it's hands down to Federer.

HarryMan
02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
How do we define mental toughness?

Federer has an excellent all court game which is better than anything perhaps we have ever seen. So can we say, for example, he is more lucky to have more options with him, which could help him out a lot easier in some tough situations (like a serve, big forehand, killer slice etc.)

How can Nadal be mentally tough if he couldn't have the mental toughness to last for three more games against Murray, in a SLAM! I don't blame him for retiring but I just don't see how we can define mental toughness when he was unwilling to give it his all or atleast lasting for three more games to give Murray a clean victory.

Federer has made the latter rounds of the most important tournaments than Nadal has ever done (or may ever do), isn't that because of mental fortitude or just a better game? If we chose a better game, why isn't Davedenko or Nalbandian, both of whom are considered great talents, could do exactly or to a lesse extent to what Federer seems to be doing?

Till we define 'mental toughness', it would be almost impossible to comment further on this.

Gnomey
02-01-2010, 02:52 AM
How do we define mental toughness?

Federer has an excellent all court game which is better than anything perhaps we have ever seen. So can we say, for example, he is more lucky to have more options with him, which could help him out a lot easier in some tough situations (like a serve, big forehand, killer slice etc.)

How can Nadal be mentally tough if he couldn't have the mental toughness to last for three more games against Murray, in a SLAM! I don't blame him for retiring but I just don't see how we can define mental toughness when he was unwilling to give it his all or atleast lasting for three more games to give Murray a clean victory.

Federer has made the latter rounds of the most important tournaments than Nadal has ever done (or may ever do), isn't that because of mental fortitude or just a better game? If we chose a better game, why isn't Davedenko or Nalbandian, both of whom are considered great talents, could do exactly or to a lesse extent to what Federer seems to be doing?

Till we define 'mental toughness', it would be almost impossible to comment further on this.

Nadal's retirement was more an example of selfishness than lack of mental toughness. And don't anyone tell me about how he was trying to protect his body from further injuries or whatever. It was just 3 more measly games - just 12 points at the very least. You could probably accuse him of being "mentally weak" if he played through the whole match and lost...but the fact that he didn't even allow that is another thing altogether.

NadalPhan
02-01-2010, 02:57 AM
Nadal was so mentally strong in the 2008 Wimbledon final. To keep on going at it in the 5th set, when he was under pressure - that was the strongest I've seen in a player for a long time.

But still, that was just for a match. Overall, it's hands down to Federer.

Federer has more weapons than Nadal, but the reason why Nadal has beaten him 6 out of 8 times in Grand Slams is because he's stronger mentally.

HarryMan
02-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Federer has more weapons than Nadal, but the reason why Nadal has beaten him 6 out of 8 times in Grand Slams is because he's stronger mentally.

If Nadal is so mentally strong why can't he beat Del Potro or a Davydenko and most often ends up losing pretty badly against them? Or do we define mental toughness only about players performance against Federer?

NadalPhan
02-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Nadal is mentally the strongest in my book, because when healthy he never doubts himself even when the game is just about over. He will just keep pushing and pushing till he loses. He never gives up on a point even if he's down 2 breaks in a set. His never give up mentality is the reason why he's always injured now. The guy refuses to give up on any play even when he knows there's no chance in hell he'll even make a play for the ball. The guy never thinks he'll lose a match until he actually loses it. Imagine how dominate Nadal would be if he actually had Federer's talent.

HarryMan
02-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Nadal is mentally the strongest in my book, because when healthy he never doubts himself even when the game is just about over. He will just keep pushing and pushing till he loses. He never gives up on a point even if he's down 2 breaks in a set. His never give up mentality is the reason why he's always injured now. The guy refuses to give up on any play even when he knows there's no chance in hell he'll even make a play for the ball. The guy never thinks he'll lose a match until he actually loses it. Imagine how dominate Nadal would be if he actually had Federer's talent.

I am sure all of us are baised in someway or the other (I myself am) but aren't we talking about Nadal's strength and not not mental toughness here? When you say he doesn't give up, you actually mean he will get the ball back and make his opponent hit that one extra shot. Now consider this, would Nadal be so dominant if he didn't have his huge topspin forehand to back up his atheletic playing style? If Nadal just got the ball back without the depth on those shots with spin, would Federer have any problem disposing it off? The answer is no. Del Potro or a Davedenko don't have a problem with Nadal's strength like Federer does, and therefore, they appear a lot stronger mentally against Nadal than Federer, and vice versa, Nadal appears a lot stronger mentally against Federer, then against Del Potro.

Sampras has a huge serve and volley game, so does that mean, just because he won't chase down balls, he doesn't have the mental fortitude to win?

rolandgarros
02-01-2010, 03:44 AM
I must say that in this era,your Thread is a joke

NadalPhan
02-01-2010, 03:59 AM
I am sure all of us are baised in someway or the other (I myself am) but aren't we talking about Nadal's strength and not not mental toughness here? When you say he doesn't give up, you actually mean he will get the ball back and make his opponent hit that one extra shot. Now consider this, would Nadal be so dominant if he didn't have his huge topspin forehand to back up his atheletic playing style? If Nadal just got the ball back without the depth on those shots with spin, would Federer have any problem disposing it off? The answer is no. Del Potro or a Davedenko don't have a problem with Nadal's strength like Federer does, and therefore, they appear a lot stronger mentally against Nadal than Federer, and vice versa, Nadal appears a lot stronger mentally against Federer, then against Del Potro.

Sampras has a huge serve and volley game, so does that mean, just because he won't chase down balls, he doesn't have the mental fortitude to win?

Fair enough I guess, but I still say Nadal is the strongest out there mentally. His endurance might have something to do with it too. :)

-Valhalla-
02-01-2010, 04:03 AM
1. TIE - Federer, Nadal
3. JMDP
... Murray and Djoko a distant 4 and 5.

paseo
02-01-2010, 04:58 AM

No. It's because of match-up advantage. I actually think that Fed has done well against Nadal considering this disadvantage match-up.

Nadal style of play makes him looks like more of a fighter than anyone else. I'm not saying that Nadal isn't strong mentally, he's very strong. But, people tends to overrate it. Nadal mental game is up there with the best of the bests, of course. And Fed is one of them, too.

Logical
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Those who did not vote for El Matador should consult a psychiatrist.

rwn
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM

I´ve seen Nadal doubt himself many times when he gets behind, especially in hardcourt slams. :wavey:

Dini
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Nadal, and by some margin.

Nr 1 Fan
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I want to re-open this debate. At this moment Nadal and Djokovic are miles ahead, but it will be interesting to see how Nole responds once he will start to lose some big matches again. Now he is just overcoming all problems with his huge confidence, but that won't last forever. Also Del Potro needs to step it up again, he was so tough during 2009, now not so (match vs Simon for example, losing 2 tiebreaks).