Bridesmaid Murray [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bridesmaid Murray

Tutu
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
As the British commentators find a million excuses to why Murray is a loser, I ask this question; Maybe he's just not good/mentally strong enough? When Nole and Del Pony won their slams they showed that they could go toe to toe with the best and come out on top whereas Murray has now been in two slam finals and all he's shown is that he can be overpowered and outhit pretty easily. Overhyped.

If he ever wins a slam, it will only happen vs one of those surprise finalists or if his opponent decides to go into a Hingis like on-court meltdown.

rocketassist
01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
No, Nole just played a sick, ill man.

green25814
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, because losing in a grandslam final to the greatest player of all time must mean YOU SUCK. Thankyou for enlightening me.

vincayou
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
His time will come.

crude oil
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
lol..moronic thread.

djokovic played mono fed and del potro played one of his best matches ever. I still like murray's chances - he will be in more finals.

kobulingam
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Nole got lucky cuz Fed had mono. Del Potro was a bit lucky cuz Feds back was hurting and killed his serve *

Steelq
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
He is just not good enough,at least not yet,simple as that.

Mechlan
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Murray was outplayed today. He didn't choke, he didn't play terribly. He played okay and was up against perhaps the greatest player ever playing well. I'm still willing to put money on Murray winning a slam someday.

HarryMan
01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Djokovic was lucky to play Federer in that condition, Murray didn't have that luck. It's quite simple.

TabbyHolla
It's really too bad that we didn't get an even match up between these two yet again. It was obvious during that match that Andy was injured in at least two places as evidenced by the massaging of his quadicep muscle and the tell of his foot. I think the day where we finally get a fair match, where both players come into the final with no injuries (or sustain injuries during the match) or exhaustive prior matches, then we can finally see who the better player is.

Sophocles
Lendl was supposedly a bridesmaid, as was Rod Laver at one time, believe it or not. It's good that this defeat hurts. After the French Open you could tell that Soderling would never beat Federer in a slam final. Murray may yet.

abraxas21
01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
the guy is only 22 and has already won a bunch of MS and reached 2 GS finals in which he lost to arguably the best player of all time. give him a break

BackhandMissile
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Boris Becker got it right after Wimbledon and just a couple of hours ago when he said that Murray isn't aggressive enough.

Defensive tennis is good, but if you want to win the entire slam you have to be VERY luck with the draw if you win it playing on the back foot.

At one point you just have to go for those shots. People say Nadal was all defence and moonballing, I say that's rubbish. He used to hit some insane winners when he was playing Federer.

Yes, Murray goes for his shots as well, but not as much as he should be, and definitely not at the right times.

He's a good tactician but Federer and the previous version of Nadal are still well ahead of him when it comes to shot selection.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Can't believe he didn't come in and knock of the volley on MP #2. :retard:

Steelq
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM

lol..moronic thread.

djokovic played mono fed and del potro played one of his best matches ever. I still like murray's chances - he will be in more finals.

Nole got lucky cuz Fed had mono. Del Potro was a bit lucky cuz Feds back was hurting and killed his serve *

Djokovic was lucky to play Federer in that condition, Murray didn't have that luck. It's quite simple.

It's really too bad that we didn't get an even match up between these two yet again. It was obvious during that match that Andy was injured in at least two places as evidenced by the massaging of his quadicep muscle and the tell of his foot. I think the day where we finally get a fair match, where both players come into the final with no injuries (or sustain injuries during the match) or exhaustive prior matches, then we can finally see who the better player is.[

Do Federer,Nadal,Djokovic,Murray and Del Potro ever lose a match unless they are injured or sick?Are you people really that stupid or you are just a delusional fanboys?

Del_Toro
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
IMO Mugray is way more talented than Del Mugro but I am not so sure about being a better player than Chokovic.
Anyway what does matter are the GS titles and Murray so far has zero, nada, niente, rien de rien, while the other two guys have already 1 GS in the bag.

Bobby
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
It's really too bad that we didn't get an even match up between these two yet again. It was obvious during that match that Andy was injured in at least two places as evidenced by the massaging of his quadicep muscle and the tell of his foot. I think the day where we finally get a fair match, where both players come into the final with no injuries (or sustain injuries during the match) or exhaustive prior matches, then we can finally see who the better player is.

Was he really injured? Strangely enough, he massaged his leg only after the points he lost. And stopped massaging when got the break in the third set. And he didn't even call for the trainer.

The players are so "injured" nowadays, that we may never see a final where both are without injuries.

rocketassist
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Fed was sick in that AO match, end of story, could hardly move much and he was blasting errors cause he didn't want any rallies.

munZe konZa
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Murray was outplayed today. He didn't choke, he didn't play terribly. He played okay and was up against perhaps the greatest player ever playing well. I'm still willing to put money on Murray winning a slam someday.

if you call standing back and allowing your opponent to slice you to death, if you call that good then he will always be a loser

Mechlan
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
if you call standing back and allowing your opponent to slice you to death, if you call that good then he will always be a loser

I said Murray played "okay". I said Federer played "well". Which part do you disagree with?

Clydey
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Was he really injured? Strangely enough, he massaged his leg only after the points he lost. And stopped massaging when got the break in the third set. And he didn't even call for the trainer.

The players are so "injured" nowadays, that we may never see a final where both are without injuries.

Murray wasn't injured and didn't claim to be. He doesn't call the trainer, nor does he retire. He's always clutching at various body parts, whether he's winning or losing.

Midnight Ninja
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
To those calling back mono, don't. I'm not saying that he didn't have it; he did. However, he LOST. That day, Djokovic was the better player irrespective of circumstances.

Just like when we Federer fans don't like it when Nadal fans call out knees and divorce, it's reciprocal.

Manon
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Oh well, denial is ia good thing sometimes.

Andi-M
01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Better to be a bridesmaid than to not be at the wedding.

TabbyHolla
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Murray wasn't injured and didn't claim to be. He doesn't call the trainer, nor does he retire. He's always clutching at various body parts, whether he's winning or losing.
Murray was definitely injured, did you catch his limp at certain times? I think Murray was the better man by not calling for a trainer and telegraphing the extent of his injury to Federer which showed great tactics and mental fortitude. It also showed his class that he didn't mention being injured when the spot light was on him. He really showed what a man he was today by giving Federer props for his play and showing emotion. I expect once Federer retires this year or early next year, Andy will be passed the torch.

Salvy41
01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Murray was definitely injured, did you catch his limp at certain times? I think Murray was the better man by not calling for a trainer and telegraphing the extent of his injury to Federer which showed great tactics and mental fortitude. It also showed his class that he didn't mention being injured when the spot light was on him. He really showed what a man he was today by giving Federer props for his play and showing emotion. I expect once Federer retires this year or early next year, Andy will be passed the torch.

Where did this scholar of tennis come from?

The Magician
01-31-2010, 11:52 AM

You joined in 2004 with almost no posts and all of a sudden this comes out? Turn down the color too:wavey:

spec7er
01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Q. The end of the tiebreaker you were touching your left hip. Was there a problem there or just tightness?

ANDY MURRAY: It's not really a problem. It's not really my left hip. It's quite hard to explain. It's more sort of my lower back is just stiff, like I had most of the tournament. It's just where we play ‑‑ I wear cycling shorts, and sometimes they're quite tight, so you need to ‑‑ you know, Roddick does it a lot, it's kind of what Rafa does on his other side.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but basically my hip is fine. It was just the cycling shorts were tight (smiling).

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-31/201001311264941817234.html

He's not really claiming he had injury that prevented his play. :)

TabbyHolla
01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
You joined in 2004 with almost no posts and all of a sudden this comes out?
You are attacking my registration date and the way I choose to post? Nice to meet you too... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have respect for both Andy and Roger. Roger is the greatest of all time. Andy is on his way to being #1 once Roger decides to step down. Both are a treat to watch. Watching Andy play it looks like he emulates a lot of what Roger does on the court and I think that shows where his inspiration is coming from. I think they gave us a great start for 2010 and I look forward to this year and think it will be great for tennis fans and new ones too.

TabbyHolla
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-31/201001311264941817234.html

He's not really claiming he had injury that prevented his play. :)

Now I really am floored by the grace of Andy Murray. He couldn't hide the limps that I and the sports commentators caught, but this shows what kind of man he is. He is giving no excuses and my respect for him has gone way up. Maybe during Wimbledon or the U.S. Open we will finally get the Andy and Roger equal match up that both players deserve.

Again, thanks to both players for starting 2010 with a bang. That third set and especially the tie breaker were wonderful!

federersforehand
01-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Nadals 'injury' was laughable at best, whenever he gets shown up out come the injury, odd how he looked great in all those points he won, fist pumps included.

Murray owned nadal in the quarters, shame he couldnt bring that form to a final. He will someday though, i have no doubt, as Fed said 'youre too good not to win a slam'. Completely true

Vida
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
some posters got it wrong - federer never stopped having mono.

Allez
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Federer had the mono when he lost to Nole. Murray will come back.

sammy01
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
he does kind of remind me of kim clijsters, in that he is up there in the non slam events, but for some reason falls short on the big stage. still like kim, he is too talented to not win one and like her i think it will come at the us open.

Experimentee
01-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Murray is always clutching various body parts when he starts losing.

In the 2nd set I actually said "now he'll start clutching something soon", and sure enough I was right.

Obviously it didn't affect him as the 3rd set was his best tennis.

Baghdatis72
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
When the media leave the whole subject alone and Federer retires he will win Grand Slams. He just can't remain focused against Fed in a GS final under such pressure. To play the aggressive game needed to beat Fed he needs to be 100% mentally.

Tutu
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Better to be a bridesmaid than to not be at the wedding.
For sure. :lol: But with all the expectations and pressure from everywhere maybe he is just overrated.
Yeah, because losing in a grandslam final to the greatest player of all time must mean YOU SUCK. Thankyou for enlightening me.
Where did I say he sucks? :retard: So shut up and take your unnecessarily defensive self elsewhere.
the guy is only 22 and has already won a bunch of MS and reached 2 GS finals in which he lost to arguably the best player of all time. give him a break
I think the people who keep on hailing him as the next GOAT or something when he clearly isn't need to give him a break. :lol:
Boris Becker got it right after Wimbledon and just a couple of hours ago when he said that Murray isn't aggressive enough.

Defensive tennis is good, but if you want to win the entire slam you have to be VERY luck with the draw if you win it playing on the back foot.

At one point you just have to go for those shots. People say Nadal was all defence and moonballing, I say that's rubbish. He used to hit some insane winners when he was playing Federer.

Yes, Murray goes for his shots as well, but not as much as he should be, and definitely not at the right times.

He's a good tactician but Federer and the previous version of Nadal are still well ahead of him when it comes to shot selection.
Yep. The question is if it is possible for him to change the defensive mindset he has had from birth and whether or not his game allows for the consistent aggression on both sides required to win a slam. So far it is a sound "no" on both counts.

Do Federer,Nadal,Djokovic,Murray and Del Potro ever lose a match unless they are injured or sick?Are you people really that stupid or you are just a delusional fanboys?
A bit of both.
IMO Mugray is way more talented than Del Mugro but I am not so sure about being a better player than Chokovic.
Anyway what does matter are the GS titles and Murray so far has zero, nada, niente, rien de rien, while the other two guys have already 1 GS in the bag.
Exactly.

Tutu
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
And also, sure Roger played well but Murray had SO MANY CHANCES in the third as Roger's level dropped so much. A break up at the beginning, served for it, and then all those setpoints in the tiebreak. And he bottled a couple of sitters on the setpoints and then on matchpoint too. At such crucial moments you just know that the slam champions of the last 5 years would KILL THEMSELVES to make those shots but even if it was likely that Roger would've recovered and won the match, he still bottled it.

Sure he seems to have fire in his belly. But I think there's a possibility that all the c'mons after every point he wins (including when the opponent makes the most routine error) is simply overcompensating for his mental fragility in the same vein as Ana Ivanovic, because in the last year it has gotten fucking ridiculous.

scoobs
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe Andy will always be the bridesmaid, we've a number of years yet to get through before we know the answer to that.

But at least he's made it to the wedding a couple of times, that's more than a hell of a lot of players can say. They'd like to have his problems.