Should bathroom breaks be timed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should bathroom breaks be timed?

syc23
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
In light of so many players taking 'bathroom breaks' as a means to either get themselves back together, take a pee, a dump or more likely to disrupt their opponent's rhythm if they're losing. Why aren't time outs of this sort have time limit like basketball?

That way if they went over time then a game would be awarded to the opponent so it would stop or limit this ridiculous practice (tactic).

tennisace
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Federer did it vs Davy...really unfair indeed !!!

asmazif
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
LOL I thought you were gonna suggest banning them

syc23
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Not banning them as such but it certainly sucks when timewasting is used as a deliberate tactic. If players can get a time violation for bouncing the ball 987 times before serving then so should a bathroom break whether they are really taking a leak or a sh!t.

Jōris
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
They should have gone before they left the hotel.

Vida
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
not only should they be timed, they should be taped as well. I mean who knows whats going on in there? federer taking a bathroom break to fix his haircut and makeup should NOT be allowed.

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Not banning them as such but it certainly sucks when timewasting is used as a deliberate tactic. If players can get a time violation for bouncing the ball 987 times before serving then so should a bathroom break whether they are really taking a leak or a sh!t.

The problem is that (top!) players barely ever get a time violation code for whatever a time wasting trick they try out. Umpires don't do anything against excessive ball bouncing or other time wasting tactics either. :shrug:
I agree... it's bad. But that's what you get if rules aren't being enforced.

Xenosys
01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I really don't know. If I'm being timed while taking a slash, it tends to put added pressure on me to do the business, and I'd end up taking longer than I would otherwise.

"Mr Nadal, you have 30 seconds left to drop trow, please hurry ".

Not that's it's ever happened to me, but I can imagine.

bjurra
01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Bath room breaks are timed. I have seen Ivo Karlovic receiving a warning and point penalty because he spent too much time in the mens room.

MsTree
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
What if they're constipated? :lol:

Logical
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Watch out for Frauderer taking a bathroom break if Murray draws first blood and starts off well tomorrow.

Pfloyd
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
"Go quicker, man!"

:lol:

Sean
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
not only should they be timed, they should be taped as well. I mean who knows whats going on in there? federer taking a bathroom break to fix his haircut and makeup should NOT be allowed.

:haha:

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM

I'd rather check out on the guy in your avvy for matters like those than Feds. :p

Vida
01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I'd rather check out on the guy in your avvy for matters like those than Feds. :p

not even God knows why FeLo is going to the can.

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
not even God knows why FeLo is going to the can.

:aplot: :haha:

iriraz
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
A player takes a bathroom break when a set is over so i don`t see any issue with that.It would be unfair that a player should ask for a bathroom break during a set and in that case it should be counted as a medical timeout just like it happened to Djokovic

Goldenoldie
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
What if they're constipated? :lol:

Then they don't need to go in the first place!

Noleta
01-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Lol what's next:spit:

recessional
01-30-2010, 06:22 PM

:spit:

dodo
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Indeed. This whole nonsense could have been easily avoided, if only the AO organizers had shown Federer's penis on the big screens. When will they ever learn.

barbadosan
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
On a slightly more serious note, how many countless times has Fed sat there and waited for opponents to come back from bathroom breaks when he's been in full rhythm and flow? No problem with that, but I do wonder why the OP didn't come up with the suggestion these many years, and only waits until NOW?

OTOH, it will teach Fed not to make jokes about going to the bathroom to let the sun move 1 centimetre lower in the sky :)