Are you happy or sad that.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are you happy or sad that....

theseth1119
01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Rogie and Rafa will no longer for any near time being, be #1 and #2 in the world anymore?

Since after the AO the rankings will be: Rogie, Murray/Chokovic, Chokovic/Murray, and Rafa.

It just seems like the Fedal period is forever over! Rogie's still making all of the GS finals and Rafa is withdrawing from GSs or only making the SF or QF and retiring.

We knew the period of the two of them on top wouldn't last forever, but did anyone see it coming to an end so abruptly?

I enjoyed it for what it was from 2005-2009. I guess in the next few years after Rogie retires or fades and Rafa is done (also no more Roddick and Davydenko) it will be time for Murray, Chokovic, Del Potro, Cilic, and some others to be the top contenders for every slam and actually win slams. I hope many of you also enjoyed the Fedal Era. It was a great one, I never saw another one where two guys won almost all of the grand slams for over half of a decade.

coonster14
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
im sad that the Fedal era is over, I enjoyed it very much, 2 of the sport's greatest players and champions, but then again i knew it could not last forever, and that if ever one of them was to drop down in the rankings, then it would be Rafa, the poor guy has exerted so much energy and effort the last 4, 5 years chasing Fed and pushing himself to his physical limits.

rafa had an incredible 2008, winning French Open, Wimbledon and Olympic Gold, and also achieved the no.1 ranking that year as well, that really took alot out of him. to sum up rafa's style, ill quote what john mcenroe once said:
'Nadal's writing cheques his body can't cash', sadly I think we might only see Rafa for another 2 years or so, just a hunch.

as much as some might hate Fed reigning at the top, well you just have to admit that he is just that good at playing and winning slams, even when he loses, it is when he has been taken to a 5th set and just mentally collapsed (exception is French Open 2008, he just got totally massacred by Rafa). he can keep playing for another 5 years or so.

full credit to Rafa though, he was the only player who was able to take it to Fed when Fed was dominating all his pigeons and turkeys, sadly now that has taken a huge toll on him, he may only be 23, but seems like Rafa is a few years older than that, he was only 17 when he first came on the scene.

the next group to take over the top spots will be, as you say, Nole/Murray/Del Potro/Cilic/Dimitrov(?), those first 4 guys I mentioned are 21, 22, young, plenty of time for them to win more slams, once Fed goes into retirement.

Arkulari
01-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm sad that the era is coming to an end, but like death, it was inevitable

I'll always have the memories of watching these two remarkable champions playing in their primes :)

Action Jackson
01-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Get those coffins out.

freeandlonely
01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
happy
can't stand Nadal

superslam77
01-29-2010, 10:09 PM
This is what they have been saying about Fed for 8 years :silly:
Fed is 28 years young...Nadal is 23 years old...

jcempire
01-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Oh. I have nothing to say about it

Hey who cares about it (you sad or happy)

Getta
01-30-2010, 02:11 AM
still sobbing silently and crying unwet tears.

Topspin Forehand
01-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Wait until clay season and Wimbledon. I bet they will be playing each other a lot then. Murray will be a pain though.

Demiloy
01-30-2010, 02:31 AM
I guess that (barring a huge return from Nadal) the AO final last year was the last great peak of their rivalry. Meanwhile, has anyone considered that Federer was number 1 before Nadal burst onto the scene, and now that Nadal appears to be going down, Federer is still number 1? Yes, he's still declining himself, and he will eventually lose his top spot, obviously, but his longevity and consistency is absolutely amazing (and unmatched, in tennis).

abraxas21
01-30-2010, 03:29 AM
It ain't over yet

Nadal was playing as good as he can play on hardcourts prior to his injury. He almost won Doha but an inspired Kolya prevented it. I expect Nadal to have an awesome clay court season and he'll probably win RG again. I wouldn't count on him winning the USO unless the draw opens and all the top guys that can beat him on harcourts (Kolya, Pony boy, Murray, Djokovic) lose early.

Federer on the other hand is in decline but even in his decline he's able to get to GS finals... It's just that his prime was too great.

That said, I'm not very fond on any of the new guys, tbh so I dunno. Hopefully Kolya will be able to keep playing brilliant tennis until he's 35 or something... but that's unlikely :S

SetSampras
01-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Well Roger is still easily making slam finals so it isnt necessarily over. Id like to see some new blood dominating and some new rivalries. Fed and Nadal played out quite a long time ago.. Ive had my fill of Federer and Nadal dominating everything in sight for 5 years. Though it wasnt much of a rivalry anyways.. Nadal was the only player who had the ability and the cajones to man up and prove Fed was NOT unstopable or unbeatable. It was mostly one sided with Nadal winning the majority.

It pisses me off in a way because we should have already seen new champions and guys who have taken over the crown. If Djokovic would have followed through and played to his potential these past 2 years he would be the dominant force in tennis currently.

gulzhan
01-30-2010, 05:06 AM
This is what they have been saying about Fed for 8 years :silly:
Fed is 28 years young...Nadal is 23 years old...

That's why Fed tanked his match against Davydenko to avoid meeting Nadal in Doha? :lol:

Let's wait for their next meeting face to face, not on the flying carpet of course, and then we'll talk who is young and who is old.

superslam77
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
That's why Fed tanked his match against Davydenko to avoid meeting Nadal in Doha? :lol:

Let's wait for their next meeting face to face, not on the flying carpet of course, and then we'll talk who is young and who is old.

:lol:
Is that you in the Pic? cute

Sean
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Happy, I want Del Potro and Murray to be 1 and 2. Fedal *yawn*