New racquet - good or bad? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New racquet - good or bad?

DanaKz
01-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey, guys.
My question is: do you think it was good idea to switch for Babolat APD?
I really don't like the way he play with this new racquet - maybe I am too severe but I don't like these UEs (increased number of UEs) and his volleys. Jo had got magic volleys earlier but on this AO his volleys were awful. Perhaps his shots became stronger, but control seems worse then earlier - maybe this is reason of all these errors?
Please, don't call me panic-monger, but I am really frustrated with his game's quality.

OK I know it's just season beginning, and yes, he made semi here - maybe I am too hard-minded, but I feel worry of his volleys and UEs.

greenhopper
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know if it's the racquet itself or his new mentality to slug it out from the baseline. But I agree, the volleys have not looked that great recently. To be honest, he hasn't played well this year, but still managed to win where he should (except for the Djokovic match). That should give him some confidence to work on his game.

shadows
01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
This thread kind of confuses me really; I personally thought one of the big things for Jo this tourny was that he was a lot more consistent off the ground, but was still managing to come up with some big shots when he needed them. I also thought his volleying was pretty much on par with what it was for most of last year.

All in all I thought this was the best I saw from Jo in quite a while, and if it's down to a racket change then it's good in my eyes.

Bashak
02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I think he has adjusted his racquet pretty well. I think his anticipation at the net was a little off and it lead to missed volleys. Also his serve was not as spectacular as it was. I mean it's still a great serve but he used to serve mad whenever he needed to.

duong
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
From what I read, his new racquet was supposed to give him more control :shrug: It's what he had in Roland-Garros, and the new strings from this year were also supposed to improve that specific point.

My bad impression was rather the opposite :lol: , that his shots were less explosive :shrug:

That's what I had heard should be the effect of the new strings especially : more control but less explosivity :shrug:

As for his volleys, well imo he has never been good at volley, then I didn't see a real change :lol:

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
i played with both frames and the aero is way better than the Kobra. The aero has more power and control..and also feels way better than the awkward kobra. He made th right decision

Cloudygirl
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Is his racket change an actual racket change or is a custom made paint job? I haven't watched Jo enough this year to notice.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
its definately a new frame..the kobra sucks, i dont think pro shops sell it any more