fsoica
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Pls. vote and discuss...

i think everybody is overreacting...

Nadal is not done ...

He has more feats to accomplish...

dodo
01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Not "done", but never going to be #1 again.

Diprosalic
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
never is probably the safe bet. however if Roger completely drops away there could be a weak period in which many player are near a top 1 spot without beeing impressive at all the slams. like we had after sampras.

swebright
01-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Never going to be like 08-early 09. He wasn't a good # 1; the best #2 player. How many weeks did he stay at #1???

Jaz
01-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm doubting he can get back to number 1, however I do expect him to win a few more grandslams.

Diprosalic
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Never going to be like 08-early 09. He wasn't a good # 1; the best #2 player. How many weeks did he stay at #1???

46 weeks.

brithater
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
One thing learned after watching Rafa all the last 5 years is you dont count him out......ever. That is the exact moment he comes back and takes it away from you. If he is healthy he will be back. He does not have any comprehension of not giving 110% of himself to the game. In some ways its his biggest problem, in others its his greatest strength. He just has to find the balance.

Art&Soul
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Nadull is real number #2, it suits him more so this is an useless question;)

Federer=God
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Doubtful he will be until at least RG next year, even that is questionable. Just like Fed a few years ago, there is a growing amount of players high in the rankings who can beat him. Difference is, Nadal is becoming injury-prone and hasn't returned to his peak in a long time.

Still a huge threat on clay, I can't see him being a dominant force on hard courts and winning Wimbledon again is a big ask.

Johnny Groove
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, you can really never count the guy out, but the chances are pretty slim.

swebright
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
He can't totally change his style of play. Rafa said his style of play is different from 05-06, and he's playing better on hardcourts.

But I wonder whether he can add/change something and continue to play well without destroying his body. During Murray's match, Wilandar was just shouting he has to come to the net , times xxx.

So can he improve his serve? Never gonna be 12-130 mph serves, but good placement? I think he has improved a lot but he won't get many aces. Well, unless we can make him play like Fed, ......

Rafa can reach quarters of every events he entered. He can win more if he always meet Roger in QF forwards?????

Sean
01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
:haha: When Fed, Murray, and Del Potro retire.

Wolbo
01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
If he remains injury free after this than he still has a good chance to get the no.1 back after Wimbledon.

brithater
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
He can't totally change his style of play. Rafa said his style of play is different from 05-06, and he's playing better on hardcourts.

But I wonder whether he can add/change something and continue to play well without destroying his body. During Murray's match, Wilandar was just shouting he has to come to the net , times xxx.

So can he improve his serve? Never gonna be 12-130 mph serves, but good placement? I think he has improved a lot but he won't get many aces. Well, unless we can make him play like Fed, ......

Rafa can reach quarters of every events he entered. He can win more if he always meet Roger in QF forwards?????

Wilander was correct in that match. Rafa should have been coming in during the match. It cost him big time. Rafa needs to stop the consistent pounding and retrieveing. He needs to start being more aggresive. His approach to this was becoming evedent last year when he was flattening out the forehand and coming to net more. This was a correct progresion to his game. This year he went back to looping the forehand and staying back. He must go back to the program from last year. He also needs to eliminate some of the needless bulk off his upper body. Very important for him to loose some weight up top.

RIboy
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Two, maybe three years in TOP 10 and then retirement

Apemant
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
:haha: When Fed, Murray, and Del Potro retire.

Fed is old, Rafa's rivals on HC are those young guns with rock-solid backhands, Novak, Andy, Juan Martin and Marin. Davy as well, but he's also getting quite old.

What I want to see is Nadal - Del Potro on clay. I have a nasty feeling each of those encounters could be an instant classic. Nadal's grit vs. Del Potro's newly developed confidence and self-belief... and his game on clay was always good.

swebright
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
He should let some of the balls go. Sometimes I thought does he really need use that much energy with this or that shot. You know, if it's going to end the point use it; but not every shot.

If you compare him and Fed, I feel like he spends 10 times more energy than the other one. I'm not saying he has to play like Ged, but I think he can modify. But it must be very hard to change the style of playing he's been using whole life.

Anyway, he has only about 2 playing years left, so just continue with his usual style, do best with it and wreck his knee. Then get a total reconstruction (no he needs a knee replacement on both side) and become a golfer or something like that. Or, a doulbe player with FLo.

jcreback
01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
If he does, which I don't think will happen, it will be for a short-time this year or next year right after Wimbledon, if he has a good clay lead-up and does real well at both RG and Wimby. Even then, I don't see him accumulating the hardcourt points necessary to be number one again.

madmax
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I think it's safe to say never - his peak days are behind him and even if he somehow manages to stay healthy, a new crop of tall two handed BH ballbashers like Cilic and Del Potro are gonna routinelly blast him off the court...a guy overachieved big time with as little talent as he has and all that grinding is destroying his confidence and body

born_on_clay
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I would love to see Rafa at the top again but I hardly believe in that right now...

Bagelicious
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm doubting he can get back to number 1, however I do expect him to win a few more grandslams.

If he remains injury free after this than he still has a good chance to get the no.1 back after Wimbledon.

He needs to remain injury free for a while and even then I think a return to #1 would be brief, given that the likes of DelPo, Djokovic and Murray are hanging around. I voted never, but he may manage it next year, depending on where the ATP is then - you never know with sports. He could have a great run while others slump/get injured etc.

Lalalovesong
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
never...........

hahahha, oh wait how old is he?

Audi
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
One thing I noticed is none of Feds opponents can handle being #1. It's one thing to be at #1 and a whole different thing to stay there. Everytime they play against Roger he is always the favorite and has all the pressure and it's been like that 5 years now. Nadal was able to get to #1 for a short while and crumbled afterwords..staying at #1 means playing your best all the time no matter fatigue/injuries/whatever it may be, you have always be top level and none of them can do this for long periods. I remember in USO'08 when Roger came in not having won a major the whole year and Murray was on a roll that summer, it seemed no one was giving Roger a shot in that final..everybody was picking Murray, he was the favorite for that final and Roger seemed to be the underdog with less pressure...and what happened is he got schooled by Roger. It just shows how difficult it is to play with the expectation to win or to stay at #1 when you are always the favorite and are always expected to win. Even at one point a couple of years back Djokovic looked like he was ready to challenge Roger for #1 and then dropped off and hasnt been in a Slam final since AO'08 because he had more pressure to sustain his level and keep up with increased expection. All of them seem very comfortable playing Roger only when they are the underdog..that is why even if any of them arrives at #1 they will not stay long. Only Roger can sustain that level for years on.

missvarsha
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm sure sometime over the next couple of years -
there is one thing I would like to point out : For everyone who goes around saying "Federer is getting ancient, Nadal is only 23 !!" they should consider that elite tennis careers do not last to a fixed age, rather, they tend to last for a fixed number of years.

Nadal has already been on the tour for about 6+ years as a top player, and grinding away at his body for that duration. Just because he is four years younger than Federer doesn't mean that he will keep playing for four years longer - in fact you can see his body has started to break down earlier. Just to say that players like Cilic and JMDP are NOT the contemporaries of Nadal, they are the next generation who will supplant him

Everko
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
once he reclaims RG and Wimbledon and grabs his 1st US Open title.

sammy01
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
lets see if today is friday, then never!

Andresito
01-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Never.

I think he doesn't need to be Nº 1. Given his gamestyle, the regulatiry that demmands a Nº 1 is dangerous for his health.

He's gonna win another slam (probably Roland Garros), but Nº 1... mmmhhh, I don't think so, specially when the others candidates to the spot (Murray, Djokovic, and maybe Del Potro) are good players in every surface.

Roamed
01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Come on, close to 70% saying never? How many could have predicted Federer's return to the top of the game this time last year? Way too early to count Rafa out yet imo given that this latest injury is unrelated to what he had last year. Went for the second option :)

Commander Data
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
When the GOAT catches mono again.

dedicated@the haters

samanosuke
01-29-2010, 05:11 PM

and when Algeria wins WC

king_roger
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM

So you voted never? :devil:

Henry Kaspar
01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
never is probably the safe bet. however if Roger completely drops away there could be a weak period in which many player are near a top 1 spot without beeing impressive at all the slams. like we had after sampras.

Let's not forget that a fit Nadal owned Roger in late 2008/early 2009.

It all depends whether Nadal can fully recover from his various injuries, and whether his body will continue to support his physical game.

If yes, I see no reason why he should not return to #1, he is certainly young enough to reach his peak again. The only caveat is if some player is able to make so much progress in the meantime that he will outplay also a peak Nadal (this would not be Federer, who, great as he is, is in the twilight of his career).

If Nadal does not recover fully he will of course not return to #1, for that the sport is too competitive.

Since I am not in the business of making medical forecasts, I abstain from the vote.

Persimmon
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I voted never. But I do expect him to win a couple more slams.

Apemant
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Let's not forget that a fit Nadal owned Roger in late 2008/early 2009.

Owned him on clay, yes, certainly. On other surfaces, 2 tight 5-setters with Roger playing subpar is hardly an 'ownage'.

And besides, you missed the point; Federer is mentioned because he often accumulated loads of points despite losing to Nadal. Like in 2006, when Nadal beat him 3 times in a row, yet coming nowhere near to threaten his #1 rank. In other words, Nadal beating Federer regularly doesn't automatically translate to Nadal being above him.

Diprosalic is wrong, on the other hand, in that Federer is not dominant like he was a couple of years ago; so we can't assume he will win tournaments just like that, as soon as someone else takes Nadal out. He can lose to Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro, Davydenko and others, as well.

DrJules
01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, you can really never count the guy out, but the chances are pretty slim.

Agreed.

He seems to have too many fitness issues and rarely do they normally fully go away.

Logical
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
4 July 2010, the day El Matador saves tennis.

Everko
01-29-2010, 06:34 PM
El Matador. I like the ring of that

abraxas21
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I voted never but deep down I know Nadal will be back in full force

Logical
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
El Matador. I like the ring of that

The name El Matador sends positive vibes through the air. :worship:

barbadosan
01-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Uh-oh! Yet another RafaWonWhatever prediction! :D :yawn::rain:

bad gambler
01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Can't see him winning any more slams outside the French Open.

Therefore I'll say never especially with Murray, Del Potro and Cilic improving.

Mateya
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm afraid never :tape:

If he stays in top5 for the next couple of years, he'll do very well.
This year he'll rank between 2 and 5. A little prediction of mine.

dodo
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Having red reputation is quite the feat. But all the great thinkers are misunderstood in their lifetime. They will all see on 4 July 2010. Don't forget to mention this in every thread, lest someone forget.

coonster14
01-29-2010, 09:50 PM
One thing I noticed is none of Feds opponents can handle being #1. It's one thing to be at #1 and a whole different thing to stay there. Everytime they play against Roger he is always the favorite and has all the pressure and it's been like that 5 years now. Nadal was able to get to #1 for a short while and crumbled afterwords..staying at #1 means playing your best all the time no matter fatigue/injuries/whatever it may be, you have always be top level and none of them can do this for long periods. I remember in USO'08 when Roger came in not having won a major the whole year and Murray was on a roll that summer, it seemed no one was giving Roger a shot in that final..everybody was picking Murray, he was the favorite for that final and Roger seemed to be the underdog with less pressure...and what happened is he got schooled by Roger. It just shows how difficult it is to play with the expectation to win or to stay at #1 when you are always the favorite and are always expected to win. Even at one point a couple of years back Djokovic looked like he was ready to challenge Roger for #1 and then dropped off and hasnt been in a Slam final since AO'08 because he had more pressure to sustain his level and keep up with increased expection. All of them seem very comfortable playing Roger only when they are the underdog..that is why even if any of them arrives at #1 they will not stay long. Only Roger can sustain that level for years on.

Very very true +1

Murray's Mint
01-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I voted never. But I do expect him to win a couple more slams.
I can agree with that. I have always supported the other guy against him but it is sad to see that so many agree that he will never hit #1 again. A reduced schedule will make that difficult but a couple of Indian Summers (if you can use that term when someone is not yet 25) I think will enable one or two more slams. The FO is the obvious candidate but I wouldn't bet against a pre-retirement last hurrah at the USO to complete a career slam. If he got to the final against anyone but Murray I'd probably change the habit of a lifetime and cheer him on.

swisht4u
01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Never.

If the knees were good it wouldn't be enough.
He played great for 2 sets against Murray but it wasn't enough.
Even Davydenko is shaking his tree.
He may well have a few slams left but even at RG it isn't automatic anymore.
We'll find out as the clay season is soon.

I'm hoping he can come back however and prove me wrong.

luie
01-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Never. Grinding moonballs have a short shelf life.However he should be happy he was able like fakervic he was able to capitalize on feds illness & back injury to "gain the #1 spot" & slams outside RG. He is finito.

jcempire
01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
2011 ...... not this year for sure

Swiss Mountain
01-30-2010, 02:12 AM
poor rafa, he need to change his footwork and game that's all; he's not good enough anymore, that's why he got injuries: get it?

Frufru
01-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Well, maybe he should try to start playing poker and join World Poker Tour? He has more chances there. :devil:

Honestly, those up-and-coming hitters like Cilic, Del Potro are perfect krytonite for his grinding, hard running and retrieving style. His knees will be clubbed to death if he wants to stay even close to the new generations. He soon will be remembering fondly beat up by Soderling. Worse things to come, he can no longer rely on favourite match up with Fed, he is not gonna make finals thats that simple. He is done and he knows it. :wavey:

Murray has a chance of becoming world no 1 but Rafa ?? Not even close.

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm sure sometime over the next couple of years -
there is one thing I would like to point out : For everyone who goes around saying "Federer is getting ancient, Nadal is only 23 !!" they should consider that elite tennis careers do not last to a fixed age, rather, they tend to last for a fixed number of years.

Yep. It's the mileage, not the numerical age, which is a proper indication of 'how long a player will still last playing on top level'. And most usual, that mileage is about five-six years at the max.

Nadal has already been on the tour for about 6+ years as a top player, and grinding away at his body for that duration. Just because he is four years younger than Federer doesn't mean that he will keep playing for four years longer - in fact you can see his body has started to break down earlier. Just to say that players like Cilic and JMDP are NOT the contemporaries of Nadal, they are the next generation who will supplant him

Well said.
Still I believe Nadal has some good years while playing on clay coming for him. I can well see him take another 1-2 RG titles. If - if - IF he manages to be on his best form during the clay season.

Positive thinking has me decided to vote 'somewhere in 2010' though - lots of points for grabs at RG, Queens, and Wimbledon this year. :)

gulzhan
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Just because he is four years younger than Federer doesn't mean that he will keep playing for four years longer - in fact you can see his body has started to break down earlier. Just to say that players like Cilic and JMDP are NOT the contemporaries of Nadal, they are the next generation who will supplant him

Last time I checked it was 5 years. I thought only women and our President take off years :rolls:

chenx15
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
this is how quick the tennis world changes that's why i love the sport. last year at the same period it was federer who was in question now it's nadal. he needs a new type of juice.

Logical
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Uttering never is a sin. El Matador the Spanish King has been living with Tendinitis since he was 16. He won 6 slams with Tendinitis. He missed the 2006 Australian Open due to it. Now he just loses a QF with injury and you all are calling curtains to his career? Oh God! Why does the World hate Matador so much?

Federer&Hingis
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Very Soon.

But No.1 in ATP Champions Tour.

Can't wait to see him play on the senior tour

andy neyer
05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
70% thought never.

4.3% thought after 2010 WTF

15.7% thought some time in 2011.

Only 10% thought he'd be back to number 1 after Wimby. I think that's the correct choice now.

ossie
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
should be after rg and then securing his rank by winning wimbly

Roamed
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Sometime very soon, it seems. But not quite yet. Depends on Federer.

Noleta
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
After Wimby,the simple reason is that he's got no points to defend.

Singularity
05-16-2010, 02:54 PM
70% thought never.

4.3% thought after 2010 WTF

15.7% thought some time in 2011.

Only 10% thought he'd be back to number 1 after Wimby. I think that's the correct choice now.
And practically everyone backed Fed to be year-end number 1, after he won the AO. Bandwagon effect in action.

Ales_Alessandra
05-16-2010, 02:55 PM
:o After Wimby!!

marcRD
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
After Wimbledon, but I think Federer will end nr1 this year.

Billups85
05-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, maybe he should try to start playing poker and join World Poker Tour? He has more chances there. :devil:

Honestly, those up-and-coming hitters like Cilic, Del Potro are perfect krytonite for his grinding, hard running and retrieving style. His knees will be clubbed to death if he wants to stay even close to the new generations. He soon will be remembering fondly beat up by Soderling. Worse things to come, he can no longer rely on favourite match up with Fed, he is not gonna make finals thats that simple. He is done and he knows it. :wavey:

Murray has a chance of becoming world no 1 but Rafa ?? Not even close.

Visionary.

DrJules
05-16-2010, 08:30 PM
After French Open.

Sticking with post of 1 April 2010:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=9774377&postcount=440

federernadalfan
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
mtf wins.
65% thinks never. :bowdown:

vn01
05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
At first,I thought never,but now:After Wimbledon 2010

andy neyer
06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
62.5% never.

This thread shows the true level of tennis knowledge of MTF.

FormerRafaFan
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
62.5% never.

This thread shows the true level of tennis knowledge of MTF.

Or just the number of Rafa haters.

andy neyer
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Or just the number of Rafa haters.

I don't think so. Being a hater doesn't necessarily prevent one from making an honest opinion or casting an honest vote. I don't like Rafa either but I voted for the first option anyhow.

This poll shows the general incapacity of MTF so see the rankings through the numbers of points to defend or to win and also reflects how influential short term results can be on our perceptions, imo.

Just 3 weeks ago, the option never represented the 70% of the preferences :lol:

Chair Umpire
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
When the GOAT catches mono again.

http://i47.tinypic.com/qzjd3t.gif