Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

SheepleBuster
01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
So this is a very interesting thing that is going on among these 3 guys. Brad seems to hate Roger for some reason. He always picks against him. He picked Murray to beat him in 4 in US Open 08, and the same prediction but in 5 sets today. I know Roger doesn't exactly like Murray. So either Brad is hoping for a 2nd stint with Murray or he hating Roger hating Murray. Brad Gilbert almost couldn't control himself today on TV. He was almost hysterical jumping over that lady's lines and giving checks to Murray all over the place. What gives? Discuss

scoobs
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
So this is a very interesting thing that is going on among these 3 guys. Brad seems to hate Roger for some reason. He always picks against him. He picked Murray to beat him in 4 in US Open 08, and the same prediction but in 5 sets today. I know Roger doesn't exactly like Murray. So either Brad is hoping for a 2nd stint with Murray or he hating Roger hating Murray. Brad Gilbert almost couldn't control himself today on TV. He was almost hysterical jumping over that lady's lines and giving checks to Murray all over the place. What gives? Discuss
I do find it odd sometimes how Brad epically fanboys Andy, given how volatile their relationship was as coach/player and the acrimonious and almost disrespectful way in which they split.

SheepleBuster
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I do find it odd sometimes how Brad epically fanboys Andy, given how volatile their relationship was as coach/player and the acrimonious and almost disrespectful way in which they split.

Do we even know what really happened between the two? I heard Andy got rid of him as he was too annoying. Some said Andy had to get rid of him to go his own way. I dislike Brad a lot. He seems to hate anyone who wins without real struggle. But if you are grinding it out and winning each match after 5 hours, you are Brad's hero?

scoobs
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Do we even know what really happened between the two? I heard Andy got rid of him as he was too annoying. Some said Andy had to get rid of him to go his own way. I dislike Brad a lot. He seems to hate anyone who wins without real struggle. But if you are grinding it out and winning each match after 5 hours, you are Brad's hero?
What happened, from what we can tell, from what Andy had ghostwritten for him in his book, was that spending too much time in close quarters with just him and Brad was too overpowering a personality. Andy also felt that Brad just didn't get him as a player, always demanding he play more aggressively even when Andy felt the right tactics were to be more consistent. I think the wrist injury he suffered in Hamburg in 07 when Brad told him to play on and didn't seem to realise how serious it was, caused quite a major breach.

They didn't seem to communicate well either - Andy wrote that sometimes after tournaments when Andy had lost, he'd find a note under his hotel room door from Brad about what he thought, and Brad would already be on a flight to somewhere else.

I think there was just a generation gap and clash of strong personalities, but the terse and disdainful way Murray ended the relationship, not even speaking to Brad personally, and the very pointedly unenthusiastic statement Andy's team put out to the press with the announcement was not well handled at all.

SheepleBuster
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
What happened, from what we can tell, from what Andy had ghostwritten for him in his book, was that spending too much time in close quarters with just him and Brad was too overpowering a personality. Andy also felt that Brad just didn't get him as a player, always demanding he play more aggressively even when Andy felt the right tactics were to be more consistent. I think the wrist injury he suffered in Hamburg in 07 when Brad told him to play on and didn't seem to realise how serious it was, caused quite a major breach.

They didn't seem to communicate well either - Andy wrote that sometimes after tournaments when Andy had lost, he'd find a note under his hotel room door from Brad about what he thought, and Brad would already be on a flight to somewhere else.

I think there was just a generation gap and clash of strong personalities, but the terse and disdainful way Murray ended the relationship, not even speaking to Brad personally, and the very pointedly unenthusiastic statement Andy's team put out to the press with the announcement was not well handled at all.

Which is exactly why I don't get Gilbert's love for Murray. Is it out of guilt? Or maybe Murray has some secrets on him. I don't know. it's all strange. If someone fired me like that, I'd probably be waiting for them in the parking lot.

scoobs
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Which is exactly why I don't get Gilbert's love for Murray. Is it out of guilt? Or maybe Murray has some secrets on him. I don't know. it's all strange. If someone fired me like that, I'd probably be waiting for them in the parking lot.
I think Brad has a huge ego but I think he does have the ability to switch it off and be professional.

I think he really likes Murray's game - more talent than Brad ever had but less...ballet....than a guy like Federer - you have to realise Federer and Gilbert are like oil and water, one is winning ugly and one is...well I'll win ugly if I must but I'd rather win beautifully and I can do. I don't think Federer and Gilbert get along either, Federer has in the past been very blunt about the likelihood of him engaging Gilbert as a coach: "Not a chance."

So I think while the way things ended with Andy may have rankled, he still has admiration for the game and prefers it to that of Federer, it's more "him". I also think that, while the way he was dismissed might have rankled, someone like Gilbert might well be able to appreciate the ruthless single-mindedness of the decision itself.

SheepleBuster
01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I think Brad has a huge ego but I think he does have the ability to switch it off and be professional.

I think he really likes Murray's game - more talent than Brad ever had but less...ballet....than a guy like Federer - you have to realise Federer and Gilbert are like oil and water, one is winning ugly and one is...well I'll win ugly if I must but I'd rather win beautifully and I can do. I don't think Federer and Gilbert get along either, Federer has in the past been very blunt about the likelihood of him engaging Gilbert as a coach: "Not a chance."

So I think while the way things ended with Andy may have rankled, he still has admiration for the game and prefers it to that of Federer, it's more "him". I also think that, while the way he was dismissed might have rankled, someone like Gilbert might well be able to appreciate the ruthless single-mindedness of the decision itself.

But you got to understand, it's not just against Murray. He said Davydenko had a very good shot at winning against Roger. Obviously he picks Nadal over Fed all the time which is understandable. He picked Roddick over Roger at Wimbledon. And of course he picked Del Po over Fed in U.S. and he was right. But it seems he has made a career out of picking against Roger. I think maybe something's going on between Rog and Brad that we don't know about?

Corey Feldman
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Gilbert remembers Andy fondly from all the shouting and swearing directed at him during matches

scoobs
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
But you got to understand, it's not just against Murray. He said Davydenko had a very good shot at winning against Roger. Obviously he picks Nadal over Fed all the time which is understandable. He picked Roddick over Roger at Wimbledon. And of course he picked Del Po over Fed in U.S. and he was right. But it seems he has made a career out of picking against Roger. I think maybe something's going on between Rog and Brad that we don't know about?
Possibly there is, but as I say I don't think they get along. Roger was very blunt about the likelihood of hiring Gilbert as a coach, as you say, Gilbert always picks against Roger.

If there's more to the story than has made it out into the public domain I would not be surprised but so far nobody's telling if there is.

SheepleBuster
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Possibly there is, but as I say I don't think they get along. Roger was very blunt about the likelihood of hiring Gilbert as a coach, as you say, Gilbert always picks against Roger.

If there's more to the story than has made it out into the public domain I would not be surprised but so far nobody's telling if there is.

Makes for a great book. I am sure when Federer rights a book, he'll spill some beans on his struggles in the past couple of years. Then again, Roger is not like Andre Agassi. So he might just right a boring book.

Sophocles
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Gilbert is an envious wanker. So talentless that players who lost to him routinely contemplated retirement.

Roddickominator
01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Even in the after-match interviews Gilbert makes a point to fistbump with Murray...as if to show that they're still buddies.

I dunno...Gilbert kinda puts off a jilted lover vibe with Murray. Murray broke up with him, but he is still #1 in Gilbert's heart.

alfonsojose
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Gilbert wanted to play "the coach who saved my career" game, and obviously JesusFed said "No, thanks".

SerenaFederer
01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Makes for a great book. I am sure when Federer rights a book, he'll spill some beans on his struggles in the past couple of years. Then again, Roger is not like Andre Agassi. So he might just right a boring book.

roger will include how he almost let contemplated letting roddick win wimbledon, as his major controversy

SerenaFederer
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Even in the after-match interviews Gilbert makes a point to fistbump with Murray...as if to show that they're still buddies.

I dunno...Gilbert kinda puts off a jilted lover vibe with Murray. Murray broke up with him, but he is still #1 in Gilbert's heart.

i don't get it though :shrug: Gilbert is to Fed as Carillo is to ws and Fed...they just seem to NOT gel AT ALL :shrug:

i think Fed pays more attention to press than other players and therefore hears more of the comments made...so when Gilbert is always picking against him, Carillo suggesting he tanked against the brit in their first match, he probably just doesn't like them...he seems to be fine with Cahill but that's probably because Cahill seems to actually be more analytical and realistic about tennis than any of the others are

R.Federer
01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Brad seems to have begun hating on Fed since he lost his deal with his cash cow (Andy R) because of not being able to figure out how R-Andy could defeat the R-Fed.

R.Federer
01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Gilbert's comment after 2003 Wimbledon semifinals -- "Roger played well but give Andy those 10 minutes back (between end of set 1 and beginning of set 2), and Andy wins". Yeah. Right.

I get sick of him just seeing him for 4-10 minutes on the news coverage of the match. Imagine being glued to him 24/7. Blech!

Clydey
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Gilbert is an envious wanker. So talentless that players who lost to him routinely contemplated retirement.

Gilbert was beating McEnroe on one occasion and apparently McEnroe said to him at the change of ends: "You don't even deserve to be on the same court as me, Gilbert!"

:lol:

Rosa Luxembourg
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
the three of them (Duck, Bilbert and Muzza) are worth each other. :eww:

dodo
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Gilbert was beating McEnroe on one occasion and apparently McEnroe said to him at the change of ends: "You don't even deserve to be on the same court as me, Gilbert!"

heh, modern tennis needs more clowns like that. even if you don't like that kind of crap, gives you someone to hate on.

did he win?

Corey Feldman
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Gilbert's comment after 2003 Wimbledon semifinals -- "Roger played well but give Andy those 10 minutes back (between end of set 1 and beginning of set 2), and Andy wins". Yeah. Right.

i remember how sure everyone was of Roddick ahead of that 2003 Wim match

doublebackhand
01-30-2010, 04:02 AM
maybe gilbert also harbors some kinda grudge just becoz federer never asked him to be his coach when he was looking everywhere a few years ago?

Kolya
01-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Gilbert and Murray = Winning Ugly.

Mechlan
01-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Gilbert is very loyal to all his former players. He adores Andre, and holds a lot of respect for both Andys. He seems more willing to put the past behind him than either Murray or Roddick, which is kind of strange since they were the ones who terminated the relationship.

soraya
01-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I think that deep down Gilbert believes that Andy is successful in part because of his earlier coaching, thus the love.

Sophocles
01-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Good old Mac. He really didn't enjoy losing.

martinatreue
01-30-2010, 10:26 AM
He likes 2 handers and baseliners like Andre. Roger's versatile game and one-handed backhand are not Brad's cup of tea. Also, Brad is jealous and not very refined.

Vida
01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
fed cant play forever is the reason why gilbert is always tipping against him. has to make the right guess sometimes.

star
01-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Leaving out the horrible screaming fits Murray had at Gilbert. :lol:

Jade Fox
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure what went down with the breakup of Murray and Gilbert, but I do notice there's a lot less tension between Murray and Roddick nowadays. When Murray was still with Brad, every time he had to play Andy, you could cut that tension with a knife. The fact that Roddick was still being coached by Jimmy Connors at the time didn't help things either.

As for Roger and Gilbert collaborating? Forget oil and water. That pairing would be more like pairing fire with gasoline.

tektonac
01-31-2010, 12:01 AM
brad gilbert who?

Xenosys
01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Just saw an interview with Gilbert on ESPN, he's going for Murray in 5 sets. Quelle surprise.

out_here_grindin
01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Gilbert loves whoever is the new up and comer. He used to love Nadal and Djokovic, now he loves Murray, Del Potro and Cilic

Magus13
01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Brad Gilbert makes me like Bud Collins

r2473
01-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Brad sees a bit of a reflection of himself in Andy Murray. A "thinking mans" tennis player. Andy is not afraid to "win ugly".

Arkulari
01-31-2010, 04:56 AM
Brad Gilbert makes me like Bud Collins

at least the latter has the age excuse :shrug:

KingSodaPop
01-31-2010, 05:51 AM
at least the latter has the age excuse :shrug:

:haha:

Poor Brad!