Yet another security breach in a Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Yet another security breach in a Slam

Arkulari
01-29-2010, 05:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/busted_racquet/post/Fan-storms-court-to-shake-Marin-Cilic-s-hand-aft;_ylt=AuAesHTAKb94gE9Np2LhyNQ5nYcB?urn=ten,2163 32

thankfully the man meant no harm, but this is the third time it has happened in less than two years, the only slam where they haven't been able to reach the players is Wimbledon

one day they want a handshake, the next they have a knife or a gun and who can prevent it?

docking34
01-29-2010, 05:33 AM
i dont get it. i mean i think the fans just really love the players and want to actually give them a handshake. the guy that came down to meet nadal was so loving. but you never know. security, once again shows how incompetent they really are.

chowdahead25
01-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Lol that made me laugh. Pascal Maria was like wigging out in the chair. The dude just walked away, fixing his hat like he was strolling in the park. Hilarious stuff really. Murray didn't realize it, the ballkids, everyone was so oblivious:lol:

JuliC
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Murray should have noticed it, he let him walk over to Cilic's side when shaking hands with Pascal Maria.
But you can't see that on the youtube-thing. I found it here: http://nos.nl/video/132558-samenvatting-murraycilic.html it comes up at 4:55

Arkulari
01-30-2010, 06:21 AM
still, it is very serious, until they get a Gunther 2.0 they won't do a thing :o

alfonsojose
01-30-2010, 04:16 PM
still, it is very serious, until they get a Gunther 2.0 they won't do a thing :o

Exactly. A blooded RF shirt has to happen :scared: :sad: God forbid.

blank_frackis
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I think it's unrealistic to stop everyone getting on to the court. You'd have to surround the court with security staff or build a fence and that would be a bit excessive. You can make sure people don't bring weapons into the stadium and you can make sure security are on top of the situation quickly, but that's all you can do.

dylan24
01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
its easy to stop this. they just have to impose a 1 year prison sentence for any fan that comes onto the court.
until they do something like this, there will always be nutjobs coming onto the court
as they know they hardly will get punished at all

Vida
01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
its easy to stop this. they just have to impose a 1 year prison sentence for any fan that comes onto the court.
until they do something like this, there will always be nutjobs coming onto the court
as they know they hardly will get punished at all

it cant be done easily, if at all. prison time is a punishment for a committed crime and as such can only be proscribed by a sovereign state that has a monopoly of force over its territory. usually these types of 'universal' crimes are proscribed by an international convention, but still each state (member of the convention) individually incorporates it into its legal system and that takes time. and those crimes are the worst crimes (war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide...). hard to imagine an international convention to be made for a particular sport that would oblige states to make it a law.:shrug:

what can be done is for governing body (atp, itf, wta) to proscribe like a ban from attending tournaments under its jurisdiction but its not a punishment the type of prison obviously. this is also questionable because there would have to be a tracking system for those offenders to keep them away from tournaments, and this would perhaps violate some human rights concerning with privacy of personal related information.

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
what can be done is for governing body (atp, itf, wta) to proscribe like a ban from attending tournaments under its jurisdiction but its not a punishment the type of prison obviously. this is also questionable because there would have to be a tracking system for those offenders to keep them away from tournaments, and this would perhaps violate some human rights concerning with privacy of personal related information.

This is actually already happening in a lot of countries to try and deal with football hooligans (repetitive offenders in this case). The difference is that those idiots have indeed committed violence to others, whereas tennis court-jumpers haven't as of yet (except in the terrible Seles case, of course :o). Problem is that you can't judge these persons' intentions on just looking at them. I guess that only 0.000001% have truly bad intentions, but you just can't take the risk. A ten-year tournament ban looks appropriate to me.

Vida
01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
This is actually already happening in a lot of countries to try and deal with football hooligans (repetitive offenders in this case). The difference is that those idiots have indeed committed violence to others, whereas tennis court-jumpers haven't as of yet (except in the terrible Seles case, of course :o). Problem is that you can't judge these persons' intentions on just looking at them. I guess that only 0.000001% have truly bad intentions, but you just can't take the risk. A ten-year tournament ban looks appropriate to me.

yeah, Im not exactly sure how it works, but in case of football related violence it is the state that proscribes it as a misdemeanor or even perhaps a criminal act. its just that hooliganism and violence in football (or also often basketball) is such a big deal that state had to intervene by making a law. here it is called 'the law against violence on sporting events'. now Im sure other countries have this done in better and more complete way, but still not sure 'tennis invaders' can anywhere be put under violence that usually happens at a football match. not sure, but havent heard any invader being seriously punished in that sense anywhere in the world. sadly, it is likely more people will need to be hurt for authorities to react in proper manner.

Tommy_Vercetti
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Yeah, plus it's not like Gunther ever went to jail for almost murdering someone.

octatennis
01-30-2010, 06:11 PM
a dwarf croatian. :eek:

tangerine_dream
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/busted_racquet/post/Fan-storms-court-to-shake-Marin-Cilic-s-hand-aft;_ylt=AuAesHTAKb94gE9Np2LhyNQ5nYcB?urn=ten,2163 32

thankfully the man meant no harm, but this is the third time it has happened in less than two years, the only slam where they haven't been able to reach the players is Wimbledon
Roger's 2006 QF match with Ancic at Wimbledon, two guys ran on the court and tried to hit a few balls, one of them was standing right next to Roger and Roger just looked at him like WTF?

That was the same yearslam Sharapova and Dementieva were graced by a streaker. :lol: Wimby was nutty that year. Their due for another streaker soon.

Xenosys
01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I didn't realise the court invader was a really small guy, it looked like a kid to me when I first saw him.

Arkulari
01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Roger's 2006 QF match with Ancic at Wimbledon, two guys ran on the court and tried to hit a few balls, one of them was standing right next to Roger and Roger just looked at him like WTF?

That was the same yearslam Sharapova and Dementieva were graced by a streaker. :lol: Wimby was nutty that year. Their due for another streaker soon.

in the last two years it hasn't happened in Wimbledon ;)

maybe security improved after those incidents :shrug:

Sunset of Age
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM

At least the security understands that streakers usually don't bear any weapons (except their ****s). :p

Ariel
01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
They've learned nothing from the Monica Seles tragedy. With all the money being made at the Slams, you'd think they'd have the dough to shell out for additional security on court especially for semis and finals.

tennis0216
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-125913/Security-breach-Wimbledon.html

A tennis fan said today he walked past three Wimbledon security guards and straight into the players' lounge before having his photograph taken with Russian beauty Anna Kournikova.
Australian Sean Piper said he was amazed that he was never questioned as he carried out the stunt at the end of play on Friday evening.
A spokesman for the All England Lawn Tennis Club said they had not had any reports of the alleged incident and were satisfied with security.
It is the second embarrassing security breach for the club after prankster Karl Power last week went on the Centre Court and with friend Tommy Dunn, both dressed in tennis gear, and played a couple of mock shots on the prestigious court.
The pair managed to flee the club without capture.
Mr Piper, 33, who is from Sydney but working for a building firm in London, said his actions should be a concern for the club.
He claimed he wandered into the players' lounge without being questioned before having one of Kournikova's friends take the photograph.
Mr Piper said: "I could not believe how easy it was.
"There was a guard at the bottom of the ramp (at the main entrance) and two more outside the players' lounge but I just walked straight past them all. I had no pass but was not questioned at any point.
"Anna let me have a photo taken with her before she immediately left the premises and I just wandered back out.
"In my opinion the club should be concerned. No-one should be able to do something like that so easily."
A spokesman for the All England Lawn Tennis Club said: "We cannot confirm the incident but will be interested to hear from the gentleman as to exactly what happened so we can take steps to prevent it happening again.
"Clearly in terms of security, there has to be a balance between getting it just right and being over-oppressive.
"We believe we have got it right and are vigilant. That does not preclude the odd occasion like this which, if true, is clearly regrettable."
A spokeswoman for Kournikova's management team Octagon said she was not aware of the incident.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-125913/Security-breach-Wimbledon.html#ixzz0e7os0Hqo

the link i posted obviously is an old story but the security breaches dont only apply to the stadiums anymore either....

BlackSilver
01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
To prevent people from entering the court is impossible, unless you surround the court with fences or some kind of translucent plastic wall.
What should be the ideal, is to search the people to ensure that they don't bring firearms and knifes.

And after everybody is safe and well, start to incentive fans to invade the court, since it is always amusing :)

abraxas21
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
To prevent people from entering the court is impossible, unless you surround the court with fences or some kind of translucent plastic wall.

This.

I think tennis fans behave really really decently compared to fans of other massive sports. What happened to Seles was unfortunate but it's one incident in a whole history of tennis.