Nadal: out for a month... at least [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal: out for a month... at least

Fran16
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Nadal estará un mes de baja... como mínimo

Voo de Mar
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe Nadal should rest until clay-court season and concentrate mainly this year to win another Roland Garros. Clay is better for his knees than hardcourts :shrug:

scoobs
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
:sad:

Get well soon Rafa.

bugger the ranking, get the health fixed please. That's the foundation, the ranking can then be recovered.

philosophicalarf
01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
He was intending to play Rotterdam? Jesusroflonastick.

He should accept his ranking is going to plummet, skip Barcelona and Madrid, and focus entirely on Roland Garros.

Clydey
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, it's not the same problem as before, right? That's good news. Dropping to 5 will suck, but at least it's not a long term problem.

LEGENDOFTENNIS
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
He should miss everything until MC/Rome

Xristos
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Rafael Nadal world number 5? That just dont sound well.

DorianGray7
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Rafa playing style is: THISSS ISS SPARTAAAA, going after every single point like an animal.

Then his knees pop out. Federer is lol-ing every time this happens, sweet vengence for taking 3-5 slams away from him. (He should be around 20 now if Rafa was never born)

Lopez
01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Fedal RG QF :lol:

Arkulari
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Rafa should skip a lot of HC tournaments and play SA and European clay court tournaments to get points back, give his knees some rest and frankly I hope he tells Krajicek to bugger off :banghead:

xohxmyx
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
he has to decide whats more important his ranking or his health and logevity(sp?) if he forces himself to play on for the sake of his ranking thats going to make alot of problems worse if he steps back and rests for the appropriate amount of time sure he will lose alot of ranking points but it will let him regain his full fitness and he has the skills to reclaim his position.
i cant really see him sitting out until the clay season but its probably whats better for him, but then what happens when HC season rolls around again? is he just meant to not play HC tournys?

Arkulari
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
He could play Hamburg instead of Dubai for example, avoid tournaments like Rotterdam all together, he can also avoid to play either Shanghai or Paris and he shouldn't force himself to win every single tournament in HC like he did in 2008/early 2009

Guga_fan
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Nadal as a 5th seed in RG is just awful for one of the top4 players...

Commander Data
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
torn quadriceps tendon? hmmm. thats not good, well in a way it could be. IT is a serious injury that need long recovery. ont he other hand it is not a long term problem.
He should now take the opportunity to think over his whole approach. let the ranking fall. recover. find form on clay, get RG back then fight for Wimbledon.

That would sound like a reasonbale plan to me.

He should not care for the ranking anymore he was at no.1, no he must focus on clay and RG, Wimbledon.

scoobs
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
He could play Hamburg instead of Dubai for example, avoid tournaments like Rotterdam all together, he can also avoid to play either Shanghai or Paris and he shouldn't force himself to win every single tournament in HC like he did in 2008/early 2009
Agreed, sooner or later, he's going to have to start listening to the message his body is telling him - that means more clay court tournaments but not in such a condensed period. He really should seriously consider the SA clay swing next year and some clay post-Wimbledon too.

Jaffas85
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
So the article says he will be out for at least a month?

Indian Wells is 5 weeks after the Australian Open concludes right? Hopefully he'll be fine by then.

He should consider playing some of those south American clay court events to gain confidence and to finalle win another title.

Commander Data
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
So the article says he will be out for at least a month?

Indian Wells is 5 weeks after the Australian Open concludes right? Hopefully he'll be fine by then.

He should consider playing some of those south American clay court events to gain confidence and to finalle win another title.

if he really has a torn quadriceps he would be wise not to play Indian Wells. The may be the "last" warning his body sends him. If he gives it too much pounding in the next 1-2 years he is done.

Jaffas85
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
if he really has a torn quadriceps he would be wise not to play Indian Wells. The may be the "last" warning his body sends him. If he gives it too much pounding in the next 1-2 years he is done.

If that is what he has then it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him to stay out until the clay court season starts, he could make his return at a smaller clay court event like Casablanca.

He'll probably fall to #5 but once the clay court season gets going he should view this as a good challenge for him to get back up the rankings and considering he has lots of points to gain at the French and Wimbledon he shouldn't worry about his ranking, just his health.

Corey Feldman
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
play the Davis Cup now Fed, cmon!!

swebright
01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
This is a new injury; probably too much strain on the knee already bummed by tendonitis.:confused:

Quadricep tendon is the thigh muscle tendon, attached to the top part of knee cap. Injury to that tendon is quite unheard of for tennis players (usually back, ankle and hip).

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/quadtendon.htm

rofe
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I sure hope he gets better soon. Nadal as #4 or #5 just doesn't feel right.

Mjau!
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
This is really more of an unlucky injury rather than a stupid-scheduling-not-listening-to-his-body injury.

Johnny Groove
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
That article mentions Nadal's history of injury

Elbow in 2003, scaphoid fracture at Estoril 2004, inflammed talofibular ligament in 2005, insertion tendonitis, patella tendonitis, post-traumatic arthritis, 4 edemas, and now the torn quad tendon.

Get well soon, dude. Fuck the ranking, don't come back until the clay season if needed, and for God's sake, PLEASE play more clay events.

oematoema
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
He's gonna be the new Thomas Muster: winning every clay tournament there is, skipping and tanking non-clay GS's and reach #1 for a shot period a couple of times.

madmax
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
good for the game

SetSampras
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Didnt I just say that yesterday? Nadal probably has torn a tendon? Everyone says it was just a little tendinitis. DAMN!! Im tired of always being right :

Persimmon
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Maybe Nadal should rest until clay-court season and concentrate mainly this year to win another Roland Garros. Clay is better for his knees than hardcourts :shrug:

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

NadalPhan
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Didnt I just say that yesterday? Nadal probably has torn a tendon? Everyone says it was just a little tendinitis. DAMN!! Im tired of always being right :

lol, I would never get tired of it.

Luinir
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
good for the game

Good for you.

SetSampras
01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
This has pretty much screwed Nadal for the rest of the season give or take. If hes not in top form he wont have any chance of winning the next 3 slams

pica_pica
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
NO!!!!! You're kidding! Rafa, please, stay healthy. Health is important, yes :sad:

Iluzionista
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh, Rafa, no :sad:
He seemed like he's finally getting the form back and now this...

Logical
01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Rest well king. :worship:

SetSampras
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
There goes the season for Nadal. 1 month or more out. More months spent to rehabilitate properly and more months spent trying to get back to peak form. Hes finished sad to say. :( Terrible Terrible Terrible. I havent seen that really ever. Just one year ago he was the most dominating player on tour destroying everyone. We've never seen this before in tennis, that a great player's prime is brutally cut, just when he was dominating. The tennis world flipped and though there were winners in this, Nadal is the big loser. He raised the bar in tennis and when nobody was challenging Roger, he stepped in, even as a kid and eventually overtook Roger as the best. We sometimes forget how long he's been around and how young he was when he became number 2.

Logical
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
There goes the season for Nadal. 1 month or more out. More months spent to rehabilitate properly and more months spent trying to get back to peak form. Hes finished sad to say. :( Terrible Terrible Terrible. I havent seen that really ever. Just one year ago he was the most dominating player on tour destroying everyone. We've never seen this before in tennis, that a great player's prime is brutally cut, just when he was dominating. The tennis world flipped and though there were winners in this, Nadal is the big loser. He raised the bar in tennis and when nobody was challenging Roger, he stepped in, even as a kid and eventually overtook Roger as the best. We sometimes forget how long he's been around and how young he was when he became number 2.

He is not finished by any stretch of imagination. :rolleyes: He soon drops down to sixth in the ranking. Watch him return fit and kick Frauderer out of tournaments in the Quarterfinals for a refreshing change. :lol:

Dougie
01-28-2010, 04:40 PM
The choices he now makes will be crucial to his whole career. He can no longer run away from the fact that his body can´t take much hard court tournaments in a row. What he does now will determine whether his career will be cut short or whether he will remain a top player...on clay. Well, at least he should now realise never to put Rotterdam in his schedule again!

Clay Death
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Get well soon Rafa.

bugger the ranking, get the health fixed please. That's the foundation, the ranking can then be recovered.

affirmative. its not like he has a choice now anyway scoobs. i would just target the clay season and then try go after Wimby. minimal appearance is all that is needed at indian wells and miami masters just to get a 4-5 matches under his belt.

he has davis cup in march so clay is the right medicine.

better 2 slams and a lousy ranking than nothing at all.

Clay Death
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM

if he doesnt learn this year then its safe to say that he will never learn.

sawan66278
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Well said about the career...but I'm not giving up hope yet.

Clay Death
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM

i am sick to my stomach about this but he keeps doing this to himself. changes in training, practice, and in scheduling would fix some of the problems.

its quite simple really. he needs a world class tennis specific fitness expert and can certainly afford one. he needs to incorporate very serious cycling program into his training.

he needs to maximize practice and match play on clay. i would practice more and play fewer tournaments.

i might as well add one more thing: get some help with a sliced backhand and the volleys.

ApproachShot
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
he needs to maximize practice and match play on clay. i would practice more and play fewer tournaments.

I do agree that he needs to play fewer tournaments to ease the pressure on his body. Nonetheless, Rafa himself has spoken about playing and winning matches to regain confidence; his return from injury last year would seemingly corroborate this notion.

I also echo what some other people have said on this thread - namely to think about using smaller clay court tournaments for preparation rather than risk playing all the tournaments he is scheduled to play in the hard court swing before the clay season begins in earnest. Naturally his health is his first priority, but if his knees hold up, for this year at least I honestly think he should look to make the most of the clay season culminating with Roland Garros and then be very selective about all other tournaments so that he is in peak condition for the slams. With very little points to defend outside clay and the slams, a relatively injury-free Nadal would stand a great chance of being year end no. 1 in 2011.

Of course, it is for Nadal and his management (largely speaking, Uncle Toni) to decide how best to proceed. They will know best how his recovery is progressing and the state of his physical conditioning in the run up to the tournaments. One just hopes that the scheduling mistakes he may have made in the past are not repeated.

brithater
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Bad for the game of tennis when Nadal is out injured. A real shame. Get well Rafa tennis needs you healthy.

Lleyton_
01-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Unfortunate but that's what you get for exceeding your limits.
Get well soon.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Get well soon, dude. Fuck the ranking, don't come back until the clay season if needed, and for God's sake, PLEASE play more clay events.

exactly my opinion, Rafa must skip all events till the clay season

Jade Fox
01-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Major sadface at this news, but his health comes first. Get well soon Rafa! :awww: :hug:

TennisLurker
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Next year play Buenos Aires and Acapulco, Rafa, we don't have a lot of money but we will send you a few good sluts, the ones that keep Moya returning here every year.

sawan66278
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
i am sick to my stomach about this but he keeps doing this to himself. changes in training, practice, and in scheduling would fix some of the problems.

its quite simple really. he needs a world class tennis specific fitness expert and can certainly afford one. he needs to incorporate very serious cycling program into his training.

i might as well add one more thing: get some help with a sliced backhand and the volleys.

Don't forget THE SERVE. The MAIN reason he's in the position he's in now.

Also, why does Rafa not choose to play tourneys like Indy and DC if he wants to get ready for hard courts...rather than go for the Masters Series death matches?

UsD.AnDreS
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh God...that really sucks...Wish him and his team to make a right solution to get out of this with less damage for Rafa's health. As for rankings I remember he told that it doesn't bother him and he's only interested in winning tournaments,in process of the game itself. So I hope him to make the right choise.

Clay Death
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Also, why does Rafa not choose to play tourneys like Indy and DC if he wants to get ready for hard courts...rather than go for the Masters Series death matches?

i left the serve out because it is never going to be a dominating serve. he serves with the wrong hand.

he has been able to back up his serve with his ground game but that too is diminishing with endless episodes of knee issues and other injuries.

and also the clay results obscure his return stats. i will give you an example: in 2008 at the french open for instance, he broke serve 2 out of every 3 times. that is massive.

clay results also obscure his serve stats to an extent. now his serve is a little more effective on grass but that is to be expected. its grass and he has had that massive ground game to back it up.

SetSampras
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Its probably too late now for Nadal to get what Clay Death mentioned in terms of a trainer of that magnitude. The damage has been done.. He needed this kind of help 2-3 years ago before his body was all screwed up. Whens the least FULL SEASON Nadal has managed to stay healthy from beginning to end? I cant even remember.

Dougie
01-28-2010, 05:48 PM

I don´t really see what his serve has to do with his knee problem, other than that it doesn´t win him that many easy points.

At least there is some point in playing the Masters Series events, even if it´s stupid in his situation. Playing tournaments like Indy would be pointless altogether. He wpuld have nothing to win, but a lot to lose.

DartMarcus
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Nadal as 5th seed at RG :banana:

Allez
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh shit he is going to be a very dangerous floater @ grand slams. This is not good.

Clay Death
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Its probably too late now for Nadal to get what Clay Death mentioned in terms of a trainer of that magnitude. The damage has been done.. He needed this kind of help 2-3 years ago before his body was all screwed up. Whens the least FULL SEASON Nadal has managed to stay healthy from beginning to end? I cant even remember.

its late but never too late. it can mean the difference between the career coming to a complete halt in 15 months or so or keeping the career going for 3-4 more years.

fundamentally its all up to him.

ImmzB
01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Nadal 5th Seed At RG....

He will still Win it!!!

VAMOS RAFA!!

DUN I LOVE
01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Nadal might need three to six months out of the game.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/injury-could-dash-rafas-dreams-of-more-french-open-glory-20100127-mz06.html

abraxas21
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
let's call it a career.

MsTree
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Poor Rafa :sad:

TheWall
01-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Damn! How could his team let that happen? The signs have been on the wall for years.

I can't even imagine how much this sort of tendonitis hurts when you keep playing as hard as he does. The pain must be unbearable without pain killers.

Nole fan
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
I think he should just retire for a year or two until he's completely recovered and make a comeback a la Henin or Clijsters. That would be awesome. :yeah:

ImmzB
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Allow it.

MrChopin
01-28-2010, 08:12 PM
play the Davis Cup now Fed, cmon!!

:lol: Very cold!

Bilbo
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
poor Rafa :awww::hug:

Voo de Mar
01-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Even if Nadal will be forced to finish his career prematurely, he has had amazing career! 6 Grand Slam titles, equalled achievements of such legends like Becker and Edberg!

scarecrows
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
bad news

his career might be in danger and not just because of bad luck

Wannabeknowitall
01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
A lot of people did tell him about what an effect that his gamestyle would have on his body but I really don't think that's the biggest issue.
The issue seems to be more the surface than anything.
He had knee problems playing so much hard courts and regardless of him losing weight, part of his body compensated for the excess pounding on hard courts and thus the tendon issue.

I agree with some poster in here.
He should play as much on clay as possible and less on hard courts.

He's going to have to schedule better and IMO, his end of the year schedule was the toughest of all the players in the top 10.

MrChopin
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Nadal might need three to six months out of the game.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/injury-could-dash-rafas-dreams-of-more-french-open-glory-20100127-mz06.html

That link opens in my browser with the page looking like:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/Mr_Chopin/Untitled1.jpg?t=1264713883

decrepitude
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Yep. Try looking down past the photos for the article.

elessar
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
The 3 to 6 months stop is pure speculation at this point. The guy has never treated Rafa and was asked general questions about knee tendinitis, pretty pointless article honestly.

Action Jackson
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
He will be fine by the clay season, but in reality he should take as much time off as necessary to heal properly.

tkr
01-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I have to say that the longer he stays away from tennis, the better. I have never disliked a sportsman/women(both his personality and the way he plays) as much as Nadal, and I hope he doesn't come back.

Sunset of Age
01-28-2010, 10:41 PM
All I can say is that I hope that he takes enough time off to finally allow his physical problems to properly HEAL this time. I'm sad to know I won'tbe able to see him perform in Rotterdam, but his health is a lot more important than any of a fan's wishes to see him perform. GET WELL, Raf, and please, please, take your time this time!!! :hug:

I have to say that the longer he stays away from tennis, the better. I have never disliked a sportsman/women(both his personality and the way he plays) as much as Nadal, and I hope he doesn't come back.

:rolleyes: I can well understand you don't like his particular style of playing, but his personality? He's as endearing a champ as he is when he loses. Sad to see this kind of nastiness towards a player... any of them.

Bilbo

fedtard?

Shirogane
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100128_233744_nadal-retabli-dans-une-semaine.html

tkr
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100128_233744_nadal-retabli-dans-une-semaine.html

What does it say?

Shirogane
01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
What does it say?
He'll be fine in a week's time.

Matt01
01-28-2010, 10:57 PM
He'll be fine in a week's time.

A week is not as long as a month, is it? :scratch:

elessar
01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
WTF :spit:
Rafael Nadal, contraint à l'abandon lors de son quart de finale contre Andy Murray à Melbourne à cause d'une blessure au genou, estime qu'il sera guéri dans une semaine. «Je ne suis pas inquiet, a lancé l'Espagnol jeudi à Barcelone, avant de se rendre dans une clinique pour faire des examens. J'ai juste une petite douleur et je pense être rétabli dans une semaine, voire moins.»
Rafael Nadal, forced to retire from his QF match against Andy Murray in Melbourne due to a knee injury, believes he'll be fine again in a week. "I'm not worried, said the spaniard in Barcelona on thursday, before going to a clinic for more tests. I just feel a slight pain and I should recover in a week, if not less."

scoobs
01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
that's so typical of Nadal

It's weird - he's always like, "yeah it's fine, i'll be fine, like, in an hour then I'm going to go practise" and then uncle toni is always like "yeah, it's deeply serious, might be career ending, he might be out months, we just don't know but it's not good"

The truth always seems to be somewhere in between :lol:

Frufru
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe bit of a storm in a tee-cup. Rafa just did not want to walk away with a bagel in the last set. Murray was just killing him. Mark my words, he will be on the court in no time at all.

rofe
01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
So depending on who you ask, it could be anywhere from a week to six months?

That is quite the range for an injury. :lol:

luie
01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Uncle toni should have taught him to play proper tennis instead of moonballing but hey at least he got six slams & that's a wrap.

victory1
01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Next year play Buenos Aires and Acapulco, Rafa, we don't have a lot of money but we will send you a few good sluts, the ones that keep Moya returning here every year.

:lol::lol: That was funny!

Noleta
01-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Oh my Rafa:sad:This is so not happening.I think he should play 1 or 2 tournaments prior to RG:shrug:His camp need to do same serious thinking about his schedules now.

Mimi
01-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Thumb down to those who said he was faking injuries and is a coward to retire. You should be very happy now, you may never see him again, by then you are going to miss the happiness you get for critising him :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Noleta
01-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Thumb down to those who said he was faking injuries and is a coward to retire. You should be very happy now, you may never see him again, by then you are going to miss the happiness you get for critising him :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rafa is the last player to fake an injurie ffs:rolleyes::mad:They think they can do a better job perhaps:spit:

HKz
01-29-2010, 12:53 AM
The fact that he was still intending to play non-MS series events, especially Rotterdam is ludicrous and shows he has learned absolutely nothing, but he goes on to blame the ATP regardless on their scheduling. I mean if Roger can stay at the top player only playing select tournaments, why the hell doesn't Nadal learn and do the same?

Didn't realize it was mentally tough for Nadal to say NO to some tournaments.

Matt01
01-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Uncle toni should have taught him to play proper tennis instead of moonballing but hey at least he got six slams & that's a wrap.

Mug post. You don't win 6 Slams and get to #1 when you are not able to play proper tennis.

Clay Death
01-29-2010, 12:58 AM
affirmative mimi and noleta. that dude was raised and reared right and properly. he was raised to be a decent person first and a tennis player second. nobody can afford to fake away and watch a dramatic drop in his rankings like that.

its really his incredible success at such a young age and that quantum leap to become the global athlete that he has become that may be the source of all this envy and hate.

Mimi
01-29-2010, 01:09 AM
affirmative mimi and noleta. that dude was raised and reared right and properly. he was raised to be a decent person first and a tennis player second. nobody can afford to fake away and watch a dramatic drop in his rankings like that.

its really his incredible success at such a young age and that quantum leap to become the global athlete that he has become that may be the source of all this envy and hate.

you may critisise his "ugly style" and his sometimes taking extra time on serving, but he never was/is a coward, a coward cannot win 4 consecutive French Open, which is the one of the most energy consuming/mental toughness testing tourney in tennis, and by beating the greatest tennis player: Roger in the final for 3 consecutive times :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

Noleta
01-29-2010, 01:11 AM
you may critisise his "ugly style" and sometimes takes extra time on serving, but he never was/is a coward, a coward cannot win 4 consecutive French Open, which is the one of the most energy consuming/mental toughness testing tourney in tennis :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

+1.

thrust
01-29-2010, 02:33 AM
He should miss everything until MC/Rome

I AGREE!

thrust
01-29-2010, 02:43 AM
The fact that he was still intending to play non-MS series events, especially Rotterdam is ludicrous and shows he has learned absolutely nothing, but he goes on to blame the ATP regardless on their scheduling. I mean if Roger can stay at the top player only playing select tournaments, why the hell doesn't Nadal learn and do the same?

I AM a Nadal fan, but I do agree with this post.

wackykid
01-29-2010, 04:29 AM

agree... and it's not like it's a "secret recipe" or something... roger himself said before something like why he can be no.1 for so long lies in his scheduling.... in the harsh competitive environment of top level tennis... sometimes less is more.... nadal should just concentrate on the masters and slams and miss most other tournaments...

regards,
wacky

prafull
01-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Isn't it mandatory to play those smaller tournaments?

Q. What are the requirements and rules for player participation for an ATP World Tour 500 tournament?
A. Top 30 players (based on '09 year-end ranking) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four and all penalties apply):

Roddickpova
01-29-2010, 05:11 AM
I hope Nadal will be better by Indian wells. I really want him to play there.

One of my favourite tournaments.

Arkulari
01-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Isn't it mandatory to play those smaller tournaments?

Q. What are the requirements and rules for player participation for an ATP World Tour 500 tournament?
A. Top 30 players (based on '09 year-end ranking) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four and all penalties apply):

yeah, but instead of Dubai he can play Hamburg for example, it's a matter of knowing what and when to play ;)

Topspin Forehand
01-29-2010, 06:21 AM
It's not known how serious the injury is yet. Nadal even said so on his facebook.

Xristos
01-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Hope he is ready for Miami.

your_valentine
01-29-2010, 06:44 AM

I know, should be lower.

Vida
01-29-2010, 07:29 AM

part of the problem is nadal takes more playtime to get in peak form than say federer does.

Turquoise
01-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Get well soon Nadal and plan for longevity. I want the King of Clay back in ominous form, I truly miss him.

Ad Wim
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
So his knees weren't the problem this time? That's a good thing.

madmax
01-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I know, should be lower.

seconded...seeing this moonballing clown in TOP 10 is a disgrace to tennis

R.Federer
01-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Pull a Clijsters. Take a couple years off, have baby, have fun, rest knee, come back. Joints' recoveries are not really. You can patch up, stem the pain, and so on. But elbows, knees, ankles-- they just don't get back to 100% unless you are under 7 or 8 years old.
Good luck.

saniapower
01-29-2010, 09:52 AM

sawan66278
01-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Exactly. Well said, Clay. And you know what? Even if his career is shorter than it would have been...one CANNOT argue...when it comes to intensity and pure sport, NO ONE, Federer included, has shown us the limits of human competition. That victory comes not from the most beautiful of groundstrokes...but from the spirit within. And, I tell you, when he's gone...even his critics will miss him TREMENDOUSLY.

you may critisise his "ugly style" and his sometimes taking extra time on serving, but he never was/is a coward, a coward cannot win 4 consecutive French Open, which is the one of the most energy consuming/mental toughness testing tourney in tennis, and by beating the greatest tennis player: Roger in the final for 3 consecutive times :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

ANYONE who calls Rafa a coward is exactly that: a cowardly individual who simply hides behind a computer monitor...most likely afraid of paper cuts and their own shadows.

Bascule
01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Ah, you touching rafatards!:sad: You all made me cry reading this.:p

yuiwer
01-29-2010, 10:15 AM
:haha::haha::haha:

madmax
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
:haha::haha::haha: I feel your pain and despair Nadulltards, I really do...gathering together and crying about how tennis will not be the same:haha::haha:

Matt01
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
:haha::haha::haha: I feel your pain and despair Nadulltards, I really do...gathering together and crying about how tennis will not be the same:haha::haha:

Sp pathetic :rolleyes:

Wolbo
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
:haha::haha::haha: I feel your pain and despair Nadulltards, I really do...gathering together and crying about how tennis will not be the same:haha::haha:Silly posts like this add nothing to the forum. Is it so hard to take the high road?

sammy01
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
i think he needs to concentrate his efforts on the clay swing. i think he might even be best skipping IW nad miami and just gearing up for the clay.

Persimmon
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Don't come back until MC/Barcelona.

Commander Data
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Silly posts like this add nothing to the forum. Is it so hard to take the high road?

Posts like that are the very essence of MTF :lol:

Mohammad
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Keep your fucking mouth closed Rafa haters, he'll be back soon ...
http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20100129/Optimistic_Nadal_hopes_to_heal_knee_in_a_week

Yves.
01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
nadal is such a one-sided player, disgusting that he ever won Wimbledon and Australian Open :o

Fed Express
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
He is now officially not going to play Rotterdam as expected. Was just on the sport news here.

elessar
01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Good decision.

andrewy
01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Rafael Nadal will never be the Rafael Nadal from 2008. Rafa cant win a match with 5 sets... if he do not secure the victory in 3 sets he will retire because he knows that he can stay in court 5 sets

SerenaFederer
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Fedal RG QF :lol:

first thing i thought :lol:

tkr
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Don't come back until MC/Barcelona.

No, don't come back at all! :wavey: :haha::bigclap:

wackykid
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Keep your fucking mouth closed Rafa haters, he'll be back soon ...
http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20100129/Optimistic_Nadal_hopes_to_heal_knee_in_a_week

well he hope to be back in a week... but that is not what is the case...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/01/29/nadal-injury.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

regards,
wacky

michellej
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
New York Times January 29

.Nadal Out For Two Weeks With Minor Knee Injury Sign In to E-Mail

Print

By REUTERS
Published: January 29, 2010
Filed at 7:52 a.m. ET

Skip to next paragraph MADRID (Reuters) - Spaniard Rafa Nadal will be out of action for two weeks because of a minor tear to a tendon in his right knee, doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro said in a statement on Friday after completing a scan on the player in Barcelona.

The injury forced the 23-year-old to retire from his quarter-final against Andy Murray at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

Nadal will undergo treatment before gradually returning to training over the following two weeks, and has pulled out of the Rotterdam tournament due to start on February 8.

"As I said in Melbourne after the game... I knew the injury wasn't the same as the one I suffered last year," Nadal said in the statement.

"I am feeling well and am only thinking about how long it will take me to recover. I am disappointed to be missing the Rotterdam tournament. It is an event I would like to have won as I nearly did last year.

"I'm not overly worried about my ranking... all I want to do is to feel good on the court again, something I had achieved in Abu Dhabi, Doha and Melbourne where I was competing to a high standard."

Nadal missed almost two months of the season last year with knee problems

Talk about conflicting information!

Commander Data
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Nadal

"It's just a small niggle. I hope to be recovered in a week."

I hear you Rafa. In that case, stay 3 more games longer next time, okay?!

michellej
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Jan 28 Reuters

MADRID (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal is hopeful the knee injury that forced him out of the Australian Open will have healed in a week or less, the world number two said on Thursday.
"I am not worried," Nadal told reporters at Barcelona airport before heading to a clinic for tests overseen by Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro.

"I just have a little tweak and I hope to have recovered in a week or even less," he added.

The injury forced the 23-year-old defending champion to retire from his quarter-final at Melbourne Park against Andy Murray on Tuesday.

The Briton had already won the first two sets before Nadal called for a medical time out and he lasted just a few more minutes before he told Murray he could not continue.

Nadal said it was a recurrence of the problem that forced him out of the defense of his Wimbledon title and away from the ATP Tour last year for around two months.

???????????????

wackykid
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM

weird... could be different papers interpret the information differently... but i supposed we can safely say it is AT LEAST 2 weeks...?? :confused:

another that says 4 weeks:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8486448.stm

regards,
wacky

Castafiore
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Not conflicting IMO. :shrug:

Rafa's doctor said that he needs to rest for at least two weeks and depending on the results after that, he can start training again after those two weeks but it could result in him not getting in a real tournament for about a month.

Anyway, a lot of those international reports just quote from Spanish sources and often, it's sloppy journalism (bad translations, missing key elements,...). The best source of information is either his official website or reliable Spanish sources directly.

wackykid
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
"I am not worried," Nadal told reporters at Barcelona airport before heading to a clinic for tests overseen by Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro.

think that info is old... the 2 or 4 weeks report is AFTER the test as advised by his doc...

regards,
wacky

FairWeatherFan
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Time is running out for Nadal's career, he can't sustain the pressure his game places on his body.

Jaffas85
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
So it appears he should be fine for Indian wells and Miami thus ensuring his ranking won't fall below #4.

MagicMilan
01-29-2010, 01:51 PM
WTF Rafa??? :( :sad:

Apemant
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Nadal said it was a recurrence of the problem that forced him out of the defense of his Wimbledon title and away from the ATP Tour last year for around two months.

???????????????

Hmm odd, I thought Nadal explicitly said it was NOT the same problem as last year? :confused: :confused: :shrug:

born_on_clay
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Nadal

"It's just a small niggle. I hope to be recovered in a week."

I hear you Rafa. In that case, stay 3 more games longer next time, okay?!

I also don't like retirements but taking into consideration Rafa's recent problems with knees he just didn't want to take more risk
Anyway he would be bageled in the third set :)

fred perry
01-29-2010, 03:07 PM
he should have played the last 3 games at half pace. Nadal does weird stuff.

iriraz
01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
From what i understand reading this is that Nadal has to stay away from the tennis courts for 2 weeks and after that he can practice.So 4 weeks not playing a competitive match sounds right

RafaTheBest
01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
So where are all the morons who said he was faking against Murray?

gogogirl
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Everyone,

I don't mean any harm, but I also think Rafa should have played three more games or whatever to finish the match. He hated losing to Andy, IMO.

If you want to know the truth, I think he was upset that he wasn't going to win that match. He didn't want to try to win the third, because he figured he wouldn't win the next two as good as Andy was playing. Andy is ballin'.

In my opinion, Rafa is playing for the most part with a lack of confidence. He sort of got it back when he won his DC match, and he looked good against the lower ranked players at the Aussie. But over all, he doesn't feel confident against players that have beaten him lately (Soderling) and against the other toppers.

And does anyone remember when he was losing a while back, it seemed as if he was trying to incorporate hitting a one handed backhand and not just as a slice. Look back at some of his matches after he came back after Wimby. I was like, what in the 'ell? I thought to myself, he needs to go back to his two hander, because he was struggling trying to hit over the ball with just one hand.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays coming up. If he is going to lose to the toppers around him, because they outplay him, then he is just going to have to take it and deal with it until he improves his game. We all know he can do it, as he has proven that he can win on all surfaces, and he's proven that he can beat anyone. It's just that right about now, he isn't playing his best, he's lost confidence and he doesn't know what to do about it.

He seems embarrassed to lose period ever since last year's RG. Already, he is worried that he might not even make it to the semis at this year's, IMO.

Again, we know he has game. I just think he's lost it for the most part, and he knows there are about 5 guys that can beat him on the regular until he recaptures his old magic.

But of course, we've had this convo when Roger was going thru his slump, and I was one of the ones to state that he would turn it around one day and start with his winning ways again, and the last time I mentioned it was after IW & after he beat Rafa in Madrid last year. That gave him a lot of confidence, and then he went on to win the next two slams. Of course, his winning the 2008 US Open had helped him, and losing the Aussie 2009 had bothered him, but he turned it around.

Rafa will have to find his will and his way to confidence and playing winning tennis again. Until he does, he has a chance of losing in every tourney he enters. Hopefully, he'll get it back.

Topspin Forehand
01-29-2010, 07:12 PM
It's good news that it's not as serious at the original report said which was false. 2 weeks rest is not that serious imo. Last years injury took twice as long to heel. Nadal could be back for Dubai. This injury forced him to not overplay again which is good.

luie
01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I know, should be lower.
+2:worship:

Ibracadabra
01-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Do you really think nadal retired because he didn't like losing? he won the same amount of games in 1 set than he won against del potro in the us open match. Nadal isn't gil, i agree he probably could have finished the match but what's the point if he's in real pain and possibily doing further damage.

Fingers crossed murray doesn't win tomorrow, if he wins tennis loses.

Topspin Forehand
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Do you really think nadal retired because he didn't like losing? he won the same amount of games in 1 set than he won against del potro in the us open match. Nadal isn't gil, i agree he probably could have finished the match but what's the point if he's in real pain and possibily doing further damage.

If Fed wins tomorrow, tennis loses.

Mimi
01-30-2010, 12:59 AM
hiding behind the computer screen, eating popcorns, enjoying bad mouthing those people who are harmless to them :shrug:

Mimi
01-30-2010, 01:07 AM

yes thats what i have said before, he was not losing badly, has won 10 games in 2 sets, he only won 6 games in 3 sets against Tsonga in AO08 too, why he didn't withdraw in the 3rd set by faking injury ? :rolleyes:

Jaffas85
01-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Nadal should return at Acapulco (beginning feb 22) as it is a small clay court tournament that he should be able to win which would give him a confidence boost going into Indian which begins march 8.

KingSodaPop
01-31-2010, 06:00 AM

Getting ready to watch the Australian Open Final? :shrug:

Roddickpova
01-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Nadal will win French Open and Wimbledon 2010!

maskedmuffin
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
It is his own fault for the injuries he is sustaining; you reap the rewards and the ramifications of the style your personalize and incorporate. While i feel for the pain he is feeling, i am not ignorant (like many on this board) that somehow if he "didn't" have this pain he would be dominating. It is BECAUSE of this pain that he dominated for the brief spurt in history that he did - ran his body ragged and couldn't adjust his style to become an agressive player by nature (specially on forehand).

Body follows nature's laws. All athletes break down, but those who choose to pound the payment have higher likelihood of fizzing out faster.

Facts of life.

Del_Toro
01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Nadal will win French Open and Wimbledon 2010!

Are you talking about the wheelchair tournaments or something? :devil:

El Legenda
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
told you so? i remember few years ago saying Nadal can't do this for long and that his knees will give out...his style of play is one that produces short careers....people said i was crazy :lol:

Surcouf
01-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I Hope Nadal does not play IW and Miami to rest himself for the clay season.

With all theses injuries, insulting defeats, lack of motivation and bad luck , I wonder if he will stop his career soon. A man can only take so much blows before retiring.

Logical
01-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Come back fully fit El Matador. Tennis needs you, Savior.

Bazooka
01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
He should skip everything until clay. Or maybe tank two rounds in Miami.

But he will still play everything, win nothing, and retire injured in Rome Semi for 3 months. That's the most likely outcome.

Clay Death
01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
He should skip everything until clay. Or maybe tank two rounds in Miami.

But he will still play everything, win nothing, and retire injured in Rome Semi for 3 months. That's the most likely outcome.

if that happens then he needs to ditch the tennis racquet and try to gain an entry into an asylum for the insane.

Matt01
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM

So mean. :crying2:

Bazooka
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
if that happens then he needs to ditch the tennis racquet and try to gain an entry into an asylum for the insane.

Unfortunately, I think the excellent advisors he had around him in the last years have turned into vultures and parasites. They will have him play everything that can be played, like Rotterdam last year. He should get rid of his whole camp and start from scratch, and learn from how Delpo preared the USO or how Fed prepared this AO or last Wimbledon. FACT: top players really don't need a warm up for slams, the first week is good enough. Specially if they have any kind of physical trouble.

Si_yi
01-31-2010, 09:19 PM
:bolt:

Deejay
01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Nadal's sole focus this year should be to win the French. That's his bread & butter, get that under your belt and anything else this year is a bonus.

Johnny Groove
01-31-2010, 09:39 PM
told you so? i remember few years ago saying Nadal can't do this for long and that his knees will give out...his style of play is one that produces short careers....people said i was crazy :lol:

Yeah, cause you were the only one in the world saying he'd have a short career :lol: :rolleyes:

You ain't as cool as you think you are.

Clay Death
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, I think the excellent advisors he had around him in the last years have turned into vultures and parasites. They will have him play everything that can be played, like Rotterdam last year. He should get rid of his whole camp and start from scratch, and learn from how Delpo preared the USO or how Fed prepared this AO or last Wimbledon. FACT: top players really don't need a warm up for slams, the first week is good enough. Specially if they have any kind of physical trouble.

affirmative. borg never needed any warmup events to win his 6 wimbledons. he just practiced for a few days on grass and that was more than good enough.

tennisphilia
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
with the way he plays, it's bound to happen.

which makes me appreciate the style of play by federer. he has reached 23 straight grand slam semifinals. nadal can't even enter that many consecutive grand slam tournaments. it's sad because he's only 23.

ayloKolya
01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Stupid Piggy

kyleskywalker007
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Funny thing how the situation changed for Fed and Nadal. Just a year ago, at this point, Nadal was holding the AO, FO and Wimby crowns, wa sthe undisputed number 1 and was at an all time high; Federer, on the other hand was just holidng the USO, was number 2 and looked humbled by all his losses to Nadal.

Fast forward 1 year and now Fed is back on number 1, he is holding the 3 titles that Rafa held last year, and Rafa has slid down the rankings due to injuries :S

-Valhalla-
02-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Regardless of your loyalties, yesterday's final was just another reminder of how much tennis needs guys like Nadal and Delpo. Yes, Fed's accomplishments and skills are truly awe-inspiring/mind-boggling, but for chrissakes, I think we ALL wanted a COMPETITIVE match with some real DRAMA and EXCITEMENT. Instead, we got a deer-in-the-headlights who looked like he was about to pee his pants and cry for mommy from the opening bell. Pathetic :(

It's obvious to me that The Joker, The Pusher, The Russian midget, A-Rod, and Soderass don't yet have the balls to challenge Fed at the slams, so Delpo, please stay healthy, and Rafa, don't come back until Rome :)

-Valhalla-
02-01-2010, 03:20 AM

Okay Nostradamus.

Sunset of Age
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM

It's a nasty thought, but the more I think about it, the more I fear that you may be right. It might well be that the team surrounding him have been focussing on drawing as much $$$$$$$$$$$$ out of him as possible, in stead of putting the focus on his health & thus on his well-being and the longlivety of his career.

Ugh.
Boy I hope we're wrong in this.

MariaV
02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a nasty thought, but the more I think about it, the more I fear that you may be right. It might well be that the team surrounding him have been focussing on drawing as much $$$$$$$$$$$$ out of him as possible, in stead of putting the focus on his health & thus on his well-being and the longlivety of his career.

Ugh.
Boy I hope we're wrong in this.

I also hope we're wrong in this.

TheWall
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Funny thing how the situation changed for Fed and Nadal. Just a year ago, at this point, Nadal was holding the AO, FO and Wimby crowns, wa sthe undisputed number 1 and was at an all time high; Federer, on the other hand was just holidng the USO, was number 2 and looked humbled by all his losses to Nadal.

Fast forward 1 year and now Fed is back on number 1, he is holding the 3 titles that Rafa held last year, and Rafa has slid down the rankings due to injuries :S

2009 was an anomaly. Compared to previous years the only difference is that Federer instead of Nadal holds RG and that Del Potro is the reigning USO champion.

R.Federer
02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Regardless of your loyalties, yesterday's final was just another reminder of how much tennis needs guys like Nadal and Delpo.

How do you mean? They played in the tournament, didn't they? That's the most one can hope for. Beyond that, these guys need to reach finals themselves.

Logical
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Regardless of your loyalties, yesterday's final was just another reminder of how much tennis needs guys like Nadal and Delpo. Yes, Fed's accomplishments and skills are truly awe-inspiring/mind-boggling, but for chrissakes, I think we ALL wanted a COMPETITIVE match with some real DRAMA and EXCITEMENT. Instead, we got a deer-in-the-headlights who looked like he was about to pee his pants and cry for mommy from the opening bell. Pathetic :(

It's obvious to me that The Joker, The Pusher, The Russian midget, A-Rod, and Soderass don't yet have the balls to challenge Fed at the slams, so Delpo, please stay healthy, and Rafa, don't come back until Rome :)

I second all of that. El Matador and Del Pony are the saviors of tennis. I would of included the Serbian pride Djokovic too to the list but his breathing problem is taking the chunk out of his strength and I see that he is sliding down slowly. He is the only player to have challenged El Matador at his best on clay. How i wish El Matador and Del potro return fully fit and ensure that the lucky clown Frauderer does not run away with any more B grade slams.

If the injury occurred a week later to El Matador, he would of held the trophy. What an anticlimax yesterday, pathetic crier increasing his Slam collection with cake draw and beating a cowardly goon in the final.

TheWall
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I second all of that. El Matador and Del Pony are the saviors of tennis. I would of included the Serbian pride Djokovic too to the list but his breathing problem is taking the chunk out of his strength and I see that he is sliding down slowly. He is the only player to have challenged El Matador at his best on clay. How i wish El Matador and Del potro return fully fit and ensure that the lucky clown Frauderer does not run away with any more B grade slams.

If the injury occurred a week later to El Matador, he would of held the trophy. What an anticlimax yesterday, pathetic crier increasing his Slam collection with cake draw and beating a cowardly goon in the final.

Aren't you getting sick of Nadal losing to "cowardly goons"?

Logical
02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Aren't you getting sick of Nadal losing to "cowardly goons"?

No, because El Matador is injured.

Sunset of Age
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Logical is:

[ ] pathetic 11-year old clueless fanboy/hater
[ ] troll
[X] both/can't decide

madmax
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM

and what makes you think "El Matador" will ever be "healthy" again? Judging from your perspective, he is injured for about a year now, is he gonna magically ressurect his powers from somewhere?:devil:

Sophocles
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Logical is:

[ ] pathetic 11-year old clueless fanboy/hater
[ ] troll
[X] both/can't decide

I agree, both. Probably gets bullied at school for being an ugly thicko. I generally disapprove of bullying, but....

Logical
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
So you guys enjoy B grade triumphs?

TheWall
02-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Federer was also injured 13 times against Nadal.

Logical
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Federer was also injured 13 times against Nadal.

Yeah, mentally. El Matador destroyed his composure so bad every time.

TheWall
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, mentally. El Matador destroyed his composure so bad every time.

He had tendonitis in both knees and wrists, torn rotator-cuff, hip-injury and a hairline fracture in his foot. Don't believe it? Proof the opposite.

andylovesaustin
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM

He has torn quadriceps? :confused:

Interesting choice of words.

So basically he has a muscle strain.

Here's the different types of "tears":

To help simplify diagnosis and treatment, doctors often classify muscle strains into three different grades, depending on the severity of muscle fiber damage.

Grade I. Only a few muscle fibers are stretched or torn, so the muscle is mildly tender and painful, but muscle strength is normal.

Grade II. A greater number of muscle fibers are torn, so there is more severe muscle pain and tenderness, together with mild swelling, noticeable loss of strength and sometimes bruising (called ecchymosis).

Grade III. The muscle tears all the way through. Either it rips into two separate pieces or the fleshy part of the muscle breaks away from the tendon. Grade III muscle strains are serious injuries that cause complete loss of muscle function, as well as considerable pain, swelling, tenderness and discoloration. A Grade III strain also causes a break in the normal outline of the muscle, often producing an obvious dent or gap under the skin where the ripped pieces of muscle have come apart.

Prognosis

The outlook depends on the location and severity of the muscle strain. In general, almost all Grade I strains heal within a few weeks. Grade II strains may take two to three months. After surgery to repair a Grade III strain, most people regain normal leg muscle function after several months of rehabilitation.
IntelliHealth.com

Sounds to me like he has a Grade 1 strain--possibly Grade 2 because he'd be out for longer, even requiring surgery/rehab for something more serious.

-Valhalla-
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
How do you mean? They played in the tournament, didn't they? That's the most one can hope for. Beyond that, these guys need to reach finals themselves.

Relax R. Federer. I'm not in any way trying to marginalize Fed's victory -- he's a true champion and his 16th slam was well-deserved. My point was that as a fan, I want to see riveting, exciting tennis [esp. in GS finals] and it sucks to see the GREATEST RIVALRY in the history of our sport [which has given us so many thrills] end prematurely.

R.Federer
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Relax R. Federer. I'm not in any way trying to marginalize Fed's victory -- he's a true champion and his 16th slam was well-deserved. My point was that as a fan, I want to see riveting, exciting tennis [esp. in GS finals] and it sucks to see the GREATEST RIVALRY in the history of our sport [which has given us so many thrills] end prematurely.
That I agree with. But let's put it this way-- in the last 5 years FO finals, have you truly seen any competition? None has even reached a 5th set. When they have reached 4 sets, it has been lopsided with a given result anyway. It's like that a lot more generally -- one or two players are vastly better than whoever the competition may be. The Fedal non-clay finals are really not the rule. We just don't get 5-setter finals as much as we'd like. But this is the norm, not the excpetion.

Quadruple Tree
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
2006 and 2007 weren't that lopsided IMO. The fourth set in 06 went to a tiebreaker, and Federer had a ridiculous number of break points that he failed to convert in 07. Either one could have easily gone to a fifth set.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Federer was 1/17 on break points including 0/10 in the first set in 2007.

samanosuke
02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
2006 and 2007 weren't that lopsided IMO. The fourth set in 06 went to a tiebreaker, and Federer had a ridiculous number of break points that he failed to convert in 07. Either one could have easily gone to a fifth set.

+1

In 2007 final Roger's conversion of BP's was 1/17

In 2006 Roger easily won a first set and at the start of second he had 40-0 and easy BH volley on his own serve which he missed and that point was the key of the match

-Valhalla-
02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
That I agree with. But let's put it this way-- in the last 5 years FO finals, have you truly seen any competition? None has even reached a 5th set. When they have reached 4 sets, it has been lopsided with a given result anyway. It's like that a lot more generally -- one or two players are vastly better than whoever the competition may be. The Fedal non-clay finals are really not the rule. We just don't get 5-setter finals as much as we'd like. But this is the norm, not the excpetion.

Not sure what your point is in all this, but bottom line, WHENEVER Fed and Nadal face each other and REGARDLESS of the outcome, it's ALWAYS something special. [and they faced each other all four years of Rafa's run at RG].

Dini
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Get well soon, Rafa.

Sad that he's become so injury prone.

Eden
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
News from Rafa:

Nadal confident of successful return

Monday, 15 February 2010

Rafael Nadal has shaken off the knee injury that forced him to abandon his Australian Open title defence last month and is confident of making a successful tour return at Indian Wells in March.

The world number three, who practised on an indoor court near his home in Mallorca on Monday, told Reuters the tendon had healed in his right knee and he was working to get back to the same level of fitness he reached at the start of the year.

'Right now, this week and these first few days back, it's a matter of taking things slowly,' Nadal said in a courtside interview after his first training session of the month.

'I think things are progressing very well,' added the 23-year-old Spaniard. 'I have been working with the appropriate machines to help the tear heal as quickly as possible and also done a lot of physical work in the gym.'

Nadal's latest injury setback forced him to withdraw from his quarter-final against Scotland's Andy Murray in Melbourne in January and he also pulled out of last week's Rotterdam event.

He said he was in solid mental shape and was planning to return to the tour to defend his title at the Masters Series tournament in Indian Wells, California where he also won in 2007.

'It's a tournament where I have almost always played well,' Nadal said. 'Let's see what happens.

'It's the first event I will have played for a month and a half and it's always more difficult to start like that. I am hoping to play well and build confidence for a strong start to the claycourt season.'

Doubts have been raised over Nadal's ability to stay free of injury, in part due to a playing style which relies heavily on power and athleticism.

Nadal said he had no doubt he could coax his body back to peak fitness.

'I think I was there during the first month of the year,' he said. 'I think I am working well enough to get there again.

'That's sport. You never know when you start (your career) and when you finish.'

The six-times grand slam winner said he was not considering taking the kind of prolonged break that could help him permanently correct some of the physical problems that have plagued him in recent years.

'I am very content with what I am doing and I feel very lucky to be playing tennis,' said Nadal.

'I am not planning right now to do anything else than dedicate my life to playing tennis.'

Davis Cup champions Spain begin the defence of their title at home to Switzerland on March 5, the week before Indian Wells, but Nadal said he was unlikely to be available for the tie in Logrono.

'It could be a bit early to come back,' he said. 'I'll see how things go for me physically but I would need to be ready in about a week and a half and I think that taking things slowly would be more prudent.'

Looking ahead to the French Open in May, Nadal said he would not feel any different going into the claycourt grand slam despite having his four-year reign as champion ended last year.

'As always I will be excited about playing a good tournament and trying to win,' he said.

'I don't think it changes anything not being champion. Of course you're not going to win Roland Garros every year.'

Asked about the prospects of Murray winning a maiden grand slam after final defeats by Roger Federer at the U.S. Open and in Australia, Nadal said: 'I think he is a very complete player and he has very few weaknesses.

'If someone who can get to number three in the world is not capable of winning a slam then I don't know who is.'

Murray climbed above Nadal into third place after the Australian Open but slipped back to fourth in Monday's rankings.

Source:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2010/0215/nadalr.html

Midnight Ninja
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't want to start another battle here (or maybe I want to?), but it is annoying to see every article saying that the knee injury cost him the title defence. He was losing fair and square to Murray before he retired. Even the article Eden posted opens with "forced him to abandon his Australian Open title defence last month". /RANT

Vida
02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
would not want to sound overly dramatic, but personally i would not mind Rafa playing clay season(s) alone in the coming years.