Congrats to Nole - guaranteed World #2 ranking [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Congrats to Nole - guaranteed World #2 ranking

chalkdust
01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Just realised that with Murray not playing Rotterdam this year, he will drop 500 points that week, as he has no other countable tournaments. This means that Djoko is guaranteed to be Number Two that week even if Murray wins AO. If Murray wins AO, he would only have a 290 point lead.

Nole can't improve that week, even though he is playing Rotterdam, because although he may score more than the 150 points from Halle '09, he can only count four ATP 500 events and Monte Carlo counts as one of those.

The following week Murray plays Marseilles and will count all his points there and then in Dubai Andy will defend only 90 points, whereas Nole will have to defend 500 points from his win in Dubai '09 less his next best ATP 500 result, which will be his result in Rotterdam. Therefore Nole should try hard in Rotterdam and hope Andy doesn't win in Marseilles or do relatively much better than Nole himself in Rotterdam/Dubai - if he wants to stay #2 for more than a week or two. Luckily for him, Marseille has a very strong field - del Potro, Soderling, Tsonga, Monfils, Simon and, yes, even Robredo!

Congrats to Nole.

green25814
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Congrats nole.

scoobs
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Congrats to Nole - it's a little concerning though that he was unable to get there under his own steam though on numerous occasions, including again here.

chalkdust
01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
That's a bit harsh! The guy was throwing up when 2 sets to 1 up against a former AO finalist!

scoobs
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
That's a bit harsh! The guy was throwing up when 2 sets to 1 up against a former AO finalist!
Fair point and I'm not laying into him - but he's had numerous chances to get to #2 in the last 18 months or so and blown them all.

Maybe getting there like this will release some pressure on him? I think he's really felt it.

Lopez
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Nole - it's a little concerning though that he was unable to get there under his own steam though on numerous occasions, including again here.

How is getting enough points for nr. 2 inability to get there on his own? It's not like he got his points out of people retiring and handing walkovers. He played huge at the end of last year, the fact that he will get the ranking because people have not defended their own points doesn't diminish the achievement IMO.

I get your point but you're a bit harsh I think :)

scoobs
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
How is getting enough points for nr. 2 inability to get there on his own? It's not like he got his points out of people retiring and handing walkovers. He played huge at the end of last year, the fact that he will get the ranking because people have not defended their own points doesn't diminish the achievement IMO.

Not intentionally harsh - I just think that, he had a number of matches where, if he'd won it, he would have got to #2 on that one result, in his own hands, rather than other players' decisions propelling him there, and he always lost those matches.

I hope, as I say, that getting there frees him from some pressure, cos I do suspect he has felt the pressure on that subject.

McAlistar
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Djokovic has had his chances to get to no.2 for two years now, he seems to always need help and so far hasnt got it. Wish Murray would play Rotterdam :o

Geo
01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
:spit: well hopefully he can start playing like a #2 soon...

Federer=God
01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Paper #2. A fit Rafa still deserves that spot, and Murray and Pony will overtake him this year no doubt.

Nole fan
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
:spit: well hopefully he can start playing like a #2 soon...

He's getting there, don't worry. The match against Tsonga was just missfortunated. He was in great shape until then. I maintain that 2010 will be Novak's year.

pica_pica
01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
My GOD!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: That's totally out of my expectation! I am all lamenting about Nole not being able to get to #2 again and suddenly he is GUARANTEED THE RANKING????!!!!!! OMG, tell me it's really true plz....

enigma
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Congrats nole.

Commander Data
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
congrats Nole.

@pica_pica: Isn't your signature a bit much? It is just a game....

Iluzionista
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm sure Nole will find a way not to get to no.2 :cool: :lol:

Now serious, I'm really happy. You can say whatever you want, but the guy deserved it.

pica_pica
01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
congrats Nole.

@pica_pica: Isn't your signature a bit much? It is just a game....
Because IMO, a tennis fan like myself doesn't need to be rational all the time :lol:
I'll erase that a few days later :p
I'm just being poetically extravagant :o

LocoPorElTenis
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Congrats to Nole - bit weird situation since he has just 1 TMS title and 0 GS finals in the last 12 months, but I guess lots of TMS finals and GS QF/SF add up in the end.

McAlistar
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Indeed he's been very consistent. Especially the end of last year he was on fire,bar the TMC. However he hasnt reached a Slam final since he won Australia in 2008, thats quite worrying.

Amber Spyglass
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Fair point and I'm not laying into him - but he's had numerous chances to get to #2 in the last 18 months or so and blown them all.

Maybe getting there like this will release some pressure on him? I think he's really felt it.

I see what you're saying and he has screwed it up time and time again,no doubt,but yesterday despite going a set down and playing frustratingly sloppy tennis for the first set and half,he really fought hard to play himself into some very good form and completely wrestled control of the match,if he hadn't needed to throw up after that third set,I have no doubt he would have won that match and won that ranking for himself.I don't think yesterday had anything to do with coming up short when he had a chance to move up the rankings,just bad luck and crap timing

TennisOnWood
01-28-2010, 06:08 PM
He had a lot of chances to become Number 2 but he always failed to win in that matches.. hope Murray will stop him now again

Commander Data
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Because IMO, a tennis fan like myself doesn't need to be rational all the time :lol:
I'll erase that a few days later :p
I'm just being poetically extravagant :o

Thats fine ;)

Nole fan
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I see what you're saying and he has screwed it up time and time again,no doubt,but yesterday despite going a set down and playing frustratingly sloppy tennis for the first set and half,he really fought hard to play himself into some very good form and completely wrestled control of the match,if he hadn't needed to throw up after that third set,I have no doubt he would have won that match and won that ranking for himself.I don't think yesterday had anything to do with coming up short when he had a chance to move up the rankings,just bad luck and crap timing

Crap timing, indeed. :haha:

Apemant
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
He had a lot of chances to become Number 2 but he always failed to win in that matches.. hope Murray will stop him now again

You didn't read the 1st post? Nole is guaranteed to be #2 for at least a week, even if Murray wins AO.

TennisOnWood
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
You didn't read the 1st post? Nole is guaranteed to be #2 for at least a week, even if Murray wins AO.

Great for him.. I'm so happy!!!

And it doesn't means he deserved that

Apemant
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Great for him.. I'm so happy!!!

And it doesn't means he deserved that

Logically, it is not possible to 'not deserve' that - being #2 in any week of the year, means you accumulated 2nd most points in the past 52 weeks, one way or another. No need to nitpick about it, methinks. Nole deserves it, in fact it's long overdue.

scoobs
01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Logically, it is not possible to 'not deserve' that - being #2 in any week of the year, means you accumulated 2nd most points in the past 52 weeks, one way or another. No need to nitpick about it, methinks. Nole deserves it, in fact it's long overdue.
By your own remark, it can hardly be "overdue" - being #2 in any week of the year, means you accumulated 2nd most points in the past 52 weeks, one way or another. He didn't do this yet so how can it be overdue? :)

Apemant
01-28-2010, 06:49 PM
By your own remark, it can hardly be "overdue" - being #2 in any week of the year, means you accumulated 2nd most points in the past 52 weeks, one way or another. He didn't do this yet so how can it be overdue? :)

Touché. :worship:

You are, logically, completely correct. It's not overdue, by my own logic. :devil:

Brick Top
01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
this came out of nothing...congratz Nole!

Amber Spyglass
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Novak's most memorable and sucessful week of 2010 coming right up,savour it :p

Nole fan
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Novak's most memorable and sucessful week of 2010 coming right up,savour it :p

Why it doesn't feel so? :scratch:

superslam77
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Congratulations to the Serbian Slayer.

Amber Spyglass
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Why it doesn't feel so? :scratch:

I'm being sarcastic ;) but seriously Novak needs to sort out that serve or it will be,he has lost all understanding of a free point :o

MsTree
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Finally! Pleased for Nole, but this thread should have happened a year ago :lol:

Jōris
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
:yeah:

chalkdust
01-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Touché. :worship:

You are, logically, completely correct. It's not overdue, by my own logic. :devil:

TeeHee.:) I suppose one could feel it was "morally" deserved or not or indeed overdue, premature, lucky etc. I think he deserved it and maybe deserves to reign as #2 for more than a couple of weeks.

Time Violation
01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Anyway, even if it's for a day it's not bad, far from it. I for one wouldn't mind being world's #2, even for a few minutes. :cool:

coonster14
01-28-2010, 10:11 PM
yay, go nole!!! :)

scoobs
01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I just think this might free him up a bit, he can finally get past this - might be very good for him, bad for the rest of the tour. I feel like since the last two years he has felt the pressure of not repeating his success in Australia, winning more slams and getting to #2 and #1, so this may just help him relax and rediscover his cocky, confident groundgame that has only shown up in fits and starts in the last few years.

munZe konZa
01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
you are a joke to congratulate him after that performance, you are not his fan if you feel a need to congratulate him at this time

Amber Spyglass
01-28-2010, 10:44 PM
you are a joke to congratulate him after that performance, you are not his fan if you feel a need to congratulate him at this time

"That performance" and when was the last time you played tennis with a bug/virus that caused you to throw up mid-match,leaving you physically drained for the rest of it(cos yeah vomiting usually is quite draining)

tektonac
01-28-2010, 11:23 PM
he needs a Stronga service and the rankings will come.

Noleta
01-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I just think this might free him up a bit, he can finally get past this - might be very good for him, bad for the rest of the tour. I feel like since the last two years he has felt the pressure of not repeating his success in Australia, winning more slams and getting to #2 and #1, so this may just help him relax and rediscover his cocky, confident groundgame that has only shown up in fits and starts in the last few years.

Let's hope so

Early 2008,what he had to do was beat Rafa on clay,that was nearly impossible back then,Hamboug,RG.

Then came 2009,he only had to beat Nieminen:rolleyes:But there was another problem,new racket etc..

2010,playing good tennis,up 2sets to 1,he get ill,he loses:shrug:

:confused:Must be a jinx,no?

I wish he'll get that second spot,by winning a big tournament,not like this:o

green25814
01-29-2010, 02:15 AM
What if murray decides to play rotterdam? Does the thread title get changed?

Agassi'sMullet
01-29-2010, 02:22 AM
What if murray decides to play rotterdam? Does the thread title get changed?

Won't Murray get #2 if he wins the AO and plays Rotterdam?

fred perry
01-29-2010, 02:24 AM
another quirk in this darn ranking system! Let's hope he gets his fitness finally taken care of in 2010 because from the looks of it---same ole Djokovic.

FlameOn
01-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Nole. :hearts:

Farenhajt
01-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Frankly, I'd say the burden Nole might've been feeling since AO '08 is not exactly "People want to see me going up the ladder" but more of a "I have to catch myself up" variety. Despite all his talent, he played a bit "beyond himself" back then in Melbourne and was very likely caught off guard by "Wow, baby, look what I'm capable of!". After that, the struggle ensued to bring that Über-Novak on the surface, with the racquet change, focusing hard on The Mystery Named Claycourt Rafa, and the ultimate realization that Vajda's coaching might be no longer enough.

In short, if Novak's traits of thoroughness and deliberation are anything to go by, I think what he has been searching for in the last two years is the key to taking and SUSTAINING the number 2 position. He never striked me as interested in becoming #2 for a week or three due to... dunno, double counting of tournaments after juggling up the tour calendar?

munZe konZa
01-29-2010, 02:27 AM
"That performance" and when was the last time you played tennis with a bug/virus that caused you to throw up mid-match,leaving you physically drained for the rest of it(cos yeah vomiting usually is quite draining)

even worse , he is seriously sick and out of the tournament and someone thinks he should be congratulated for some meaningless computer ranking :confused:
I don't see how a fan could be happy about it especially knowing that he should have won it and be almost #1

doublebackhand
01-29-2010, 02:30 AM
it doesnt matter where he is ranked as long as he is still a 1-slam wonder. if i were his fan, i wouldnt be celebrating it at all. im sure he feels the same too, he would rather stay at #3 and win AO than....

Nole fan
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Frankly, I'd say the burden Nole might've been feeling since AO '08 is not exactly "People want to see me going up the ladder" but more of a "I have to catch myself up" variety. Despite all his talent, he played a bit "beyond himself" back then in Melbourne and was very likely caught off guard by "Wow, baby, look what I'm capable of!". After that, the struggle ensued to bring that Über-Novak on the surface, with the racquet change, focusing hard on The Mystery Named Claycourt Rafa, and the ultimate realization that Vajda's coaching might be no longer enough.

In short, if Novak's traits of thoroughness and deliberation are anything to go by, I think what he has been searching for in the last two years is the key to taking and SUSTAINING the number 2 position. He never striked me as interested in becoming #2 for a week or three due to... dunno, double counting of tournaments after juggling up the tour calendar?

I completely agree. He said so himself in the press conference. I don't think Novak cares about being nº 2 for two weeks, he clearly thinks he deserves to be nº 2 for a long period and so do his fans. or even nº 1 but then he will have to be more consistent. And work on his serve for sure. I think this will be a very good clay court season for him.

saniapower
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Congrats nole.

freeandlonely
01-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Congrats to Nole.:D
But if he keeps losing like the way to he lost to JWT:mad:
Healthy the most important

Amber Spyglass
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
even worse , he is seriously sick and out of the tournament and someone thinks he should be congratulated for some meaningless computer ranking :confused:
I don't see how a fan could be happy about it especially knowing that he should have won it and be almost #1

I don't think it should be congratulated or applauded or whatever.I'm quite indifferent to the whole thing.And if Murray wins AO,there's going to be Safina-like talk about who should be the real number 2,someone who won a slam two weeks ago or two years ago ??However,if that's the case it won't last more than a week anyway.But I don't think his effort in the quarters should be criticised and treated as a another screwed up attempt to become no.2,it was just bad luck.Murray had a virus last year against Verdasco,Fed had mono the year before,sh*t happens and it was just one of those things.I don't know why people are putting it down to physical conditioning,I think his physicality has improved but a bug/virus has nothing to do with that.I'm sure if most of us had something that made us vomit and caused diarrhoea,we wouldn't go into work not to mention play an intense tennis match

Guga_fan
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
he needs a Stronga service and the rankings will come.
He just needs his old serve back. (don't know why or how he lost it)

chalkdust
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Well, even though I posted the news, I have to agree it's not like this is a really big deal. It's kind of interesting and worth pointing out, especially given the history of Nole's ranking. And I'm sure he'd rather have a career-high of #2 than of #3 - not saying his career has peaked or that he won't go higher.

As for whether it makes a difference whether he achieves #2 by winning a match or by others just not entering a particular tournament, I really don't think this issue massively weighs on Djokovic's mind. It's not like he would really choke a match because #2 is at stake. He might choke for some other reason - I'm not saying he would but everyone feels pressure - but I have a hard time thinking that he is out there saying "oh my God, if I beat [inert your favourite loser], I will be the #2, I cannot face this".

Anyway, you could argue that he did make #2 by winning a match. Knowing that Murray had decided not to play Rotterdam, he realised that a run to the QF at AO would make him #2 and he sealed the deal with crushing victory over Kubot.

Bottom line is nobody really cares about the ranking except for the tournament seeding aspect; it's about the results in the slams basically, at least for the top players. Still, there is no harm in discussing it and it is polite to congratulate people for achievements, however small/insignificant.

SerenaFederer
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM

it's not harsh...but he's backing into the #2 ranking when in the past seasons he's had ample opportunities to get their by simply outplaying rafa

Amber Spyglass
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
it's not harsh...but he's backing into the #2 ranking when in the past seasons he's had ample opportunities to get their by simply outplaying rafa

Yes,cos it was so simple to outplay Rafa in summer 2008 :rolleyes:,Nole made a better stab at it than the glorified Goat(on clay at least) that year

Nole fan
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
He just needs his old serve back. (don't know why or how he lost it)

Yeah, can anyone give a technical explanation for this? I'm intrigued... How the hell you lose your serve? He used to have one of the strogest serves on the tour. :scratch:

Farenhajt
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, can anyone give a technical explanation for this? I'm intrigued... How the hell you lose your serve? He used to have one of the strogest serves on the tour. :scratch:

I think it's just a temporary and natural consequence of his recent focusing VERY intensely on the brand new and refurbished NET tactics. He simply took his excellent serve for granted ("I have to take care of the net play and the volley, and the serve will take care of itself"), but obviously that part of his game requires some concentration too. (Besides, if you lack quality net play, you simply have to make your every serve count, as Nole had been doing.) Once he starts feeling comfortable enough with all that Todd Martin plans to teach him, he'll get his serve back in no time.

zlaja777
01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
:aparty:

Logical
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Ranking is not his concern. Asthma is.

teamflex
01-29-2010, 11:37 PM
His no.2 ranking won't last long, look out for a slide down mid way through the year.

Radalek
01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
His no.2 ranking won't last long, look out for a slide down mid way through the year.

Slide down midway trough the year...may I quote this when time is right? You are aware that he defends only small amount of points in RG and Wimbledon and that he actually has a shot at #1 there if he does well in IW/Miami and clay masters tournaments?

Bascule
01-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Yes, his serve is definitely frustrating, but the net play and the volleys look better.
Me too, I don't care about him being no.2 for a short time, but to get his form back. Then his rank could be even better.

Where is Vajda? Haven't seen him in his box, just Martin. Did I miss him? What's going on?

Farenhajt
01-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Where is Vajda? Haven't seen him in his box, just Martin. Did I miss him? What's going on?

With an agreement with Đoković family, he won't be around till March, the reporters say.

Most probably he was granted a holiday while Novak works hard with Todd.

Corey Feldman
01-30-2010, 05:16 AM
worst #2 ever

doublebackhand
01-30-2010, 05:43 AM
worst #2 ever

at least he owns a major.

FlameOn
01-30-2010, 06:02 AM
worst #2 ever
Murray got to #2 without a slam, at least Nole has one. :p

jeremda01
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
@TVTennis: have to agree with you there ;)

Bascule
01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
With an agreement with Đoković family, he won't be around till March, the reporters say.

Most probably he was granted a holiday while Novak works hard with Todd.
Helouuuuu :D

worst #2 ever
Awww :hug: I must admit this was a funny attempt.

Amber Spyglass
01-30-2010, 09:45 AM
worst #2 ever

BOL DJOKOVIC :D

FairWeatherFan
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Even Haas was a better number 2 than this baseline clown Djokovic.

angry1
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Murray got to #2 without a slam, at least Nole has one. :p

at least he owns a major.

Not in the period the ranking covers he doesn't.

Djokovic was better when he was #3 than Murray was when #2,but he's an inferior #2 without even a slam final on his record.

MIMIC
01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Fed wins and Djoker rises to No. 2

theblejach
01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrSTKCHpGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrSTKCHpGI

Noleta
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
worst #2 ever

Shame on you Nole:oDo the honourable thing and give it back to Murray,make CF happy:(

green25814
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Its not like he's actually done anything important. He's just lucky Murray beat rafa.

icedevil0289
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
congrats nole! :woohoo:

gameset&match
01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Its not like he's actually done anything important. He's just lucky Murray beat rafa.

No slam final, only one semi and only one Masters 1000...just very consistent.

Corey Feldman
01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
to reach #2 without being in a GS final for 2 years is a disgrace

shows why he is the worst #2 ever IMHO

Noleta and Bascule will agree

Manon
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
worst #2 ever

Thanks Mike :hug: I'm delighted. You're such a sport.

Corey Feldman
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
thanks bro :kiss:

rocketassist
01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Beaten a load of clowns and gets #2. Great! Always nice to get an early Easter present that isn't an egg.

Manon
01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
thanks bro :kiss:

:kiss:

:secret: rocketassist as an ex loudest Novak fan doing a great job for him, don't you think?

Noleta
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Of course,he's very lucky to have mmore points than Murray,someone works for him in the ATP:eek:

Corey Feldman
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Yokovic should thank Fed at his next press conf, that is for sure.

Noleta
01-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Yokovic should thank Fed at his next press conf, that is for sure.

Been done already;)he even vowed to lose every match against him from now on:p

scoobs
01-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't have thought it possible that someone could get to #2 with only 1 slam semi and one 1000 win in the last season, but apparently so - consistency in the other events obviously.

Just goes to show that currently it's Federer then 4 others, rankings-wise. There might be plenty more jostling around between numbers 2-5 in the next several months but little danger of a new number one.

Noleta
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Number 2 scoobs:lol:

scoobs
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Doh :)

Corey Feldman
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Been done already;)he even vowed to lose every match against him from now on:phe should return the Basel trophy to its rightful owner

Vida
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
:yeah::yeah: djokavic

Manon
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
he should return the Basel trophy to its rightful owner

At least hunk has a slam so number 2 spot is deseved *2 years ago*:worship:

Noleta
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
he should return the Basel trophy to its rightful owner

Both agredd Nole get to keep it.Fed doesn't have space for it.

Sunset of Age
01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Congrats to Djokovic and his fans. :yeah:

Both agredd Nole get to keep it.Fed doesn't have space for it.

:lol:

JediFed
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Awesome jinx btw. :)

Bascule
01-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Life is a bitch, eh? :hug:

mayagaller
01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Good on Nole! :worship:

MIMIC
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
How long will Novak be #2?

scoobs
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
How long will Novak be #2?
I think Dubai would be where it's likely to come under threat, he's defending a win there and a poor show could put Murray ahead. Murray is of course then defending RU at IW and W in Miami. Djokovic defends RU in Miami.

I think it could chop and change a bit, at least in theory.

Djokovic is also defending a ton of points in the clay season, but Murray's not that likely to make too much ground up there.

rexman
01-31-2010, 04:12 PM

Paging Tommy Haas...Paging Tommy Haas....

Time Violation
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM

1 slam >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 slams. :cool: