If Federer is to lose his #1 ranking... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Federer is to lose his #1 ranking...

s_j
01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
...who will it be to?

At the moment, he's pretty safe, but will we have more than one #1 player this year? Can Nadal get it back? Maybe Djokovic, Murray or Del Potro can have the season on their lives and take it?

What do you guys think?

el tenista
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Nadal never...He has to defend ~4,5k points before RG, no way he can do this...If then Murray will take it.

TennisOnWood
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
If Roger lost most of his 5000 points from Madrid-Paris-London I think Andy is there to grab Number 1 spot.. not for long,but he will do it

Goldenoldie
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Murray if anyone, but would not be at all surprised if Federer still #1 in November

dombrfc
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Murray maybe if Fed loses RG/Madrid/Wimbledon points and Murray has a decent clay court run (doubtful)

Persimmon
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Murray.

Riffrizzle
01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Not sure, but a decent defense of Madrid and RG will be needed if Fed is to break Sampras' record. If Fed wins the Australian Open though, he earns a 3050 point gap between himself and Djokovic (Cilic beats Murray in SF), or a 2750 point gap between himself and Murray (Murray beats Cilic in SF). With only ~1170 points to defend between now and Madrid, Fed can conceivably implode during Madrid and RG and still have a reasonable chance of retaining no 1.

SaFed2005
01-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Murray maybe if Fed loses RG/Madrid/Wimbledon points and Murray has a decent clay court run (doubtful)

I don't like Murray but I think he can do well during the clay season. All the surfaces are pretty much the same now anyway. Grass and hard courts are slower and bouncier. Clay courts seem faster. We got players sliding on hard courts grass and clay. So what's the difference anyway. I think he will do just fine and probably even reach the semis of Rolland Garros.

Ivanatis
01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Tomic

theseth1119
01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't like Murray but I think he can do well during the clay season. All the surfaces are pretty much the same now anyway. Grass and hard courts are slower and bouncier. Clay courts seem faster. We got players sliding on hard courts grass and clay. So what's the difference anyway. I think he will do just fine and probably even reach the semis of Rolland Garros.

Oh there's a difference. Try telling JMDP that grass is the same as clay or hard courts. Grass is totally different, hence why he struggles like crazy on it and Rogie excels on it.

tyruk14
01-28-2010, 12:13 AM
If he breaks through and finally wins his first slam on Sunday, Andy Murray will claim the top spot at some point this year. But I suspect Federer will win the USO this year, which might propel him toward reclaiming the top rank in time for the WTF.

LocoPorElTenis
01-28-2010, 01:03 AM
if Fed wins AO, he will cling to number 1 for a while.
If Murray wins AO, Murray will overtake Fed sooner or later.

Ububub
01-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Roger Federer, Jr.

BigJohn
01-28-2010, 03:16 AM
If Murray wins AO, Murray will overtake Fed sooner or later.

Simon Reed, I demand that you leave this body.

brithater
01-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Nobody mentions Soderling? He takes out Nadal at the french (no small achievment) and backs it up with good performances at wimbledon and the US Open. Played Roger pretty well at the open as well. I know his record against Federer is bad but I believe he has the game to beat anyone. His consistancy is getting better and it much more fit. I actually thought he was most improved last year based on what I have mentioned. I really see him a slam winning potential.

Just throwin a name out there.

Ivanatis
01-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Söderling no°1?:scratch:

brithater
01-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Söderling no°1?:scratch:

I know its a long shot. Guy just seems to get no respect on here. Getting to the finals of the french and beating Rafa is pretty big. I would say that is a more impressive result than Murray getting to the US Open finals. Everyone here must think it was all a fluke what he did at the French. Hes not exactly a pusher, mentally tough, getting fitter. His movement should improve. I just thought it was at least worth a mention. It is possible for guys to become #1 for the first time later in there careers.

Ibracadabra
01-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Assuming murray can defend the majority of his points before the clay season he could stand a chance come mid wimbledon-usopen time. If not del potro can greatly improve his points.

Tsonganator
01-28-2010, 04:08 AM
I know its a long shot. Guy just seems to get no respect on here. Getting to the finals of the french and beating Rafa is pretty big. I would say that is a more impressive result than Murray getting to the US Open finals. Everyone here must think it was all a fluke what he did at the French. Hes not exactly a pusher, mentally tough, getting fitter. His movement should improve. I just thought it was at least worth a mention. It is possible for guys to become #1 for the first time later in there careers.

Del Potro and Cillic play a similar game to Soderling, not to mention Djokovic who has a good h2h vs Soderling. I like his game, but he has no no. 1 potential.

ClaudiuS
01-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Guy just seems to get no respect on here. Getting to the finals of the french and beating Rafa is pretty big.

Soderling isn't much consistent than the rest of the players in the poll. It takes a lot of consistency and also don't think about the idea of getting beat by someone like Granollers-Pujol in the 1st round of a GS on hard court. (I'm not saying Granollers is bad on HC) but Soderling is a far much better player than him and he still didn't manage to win it and that sucked.

Nidhogg
01-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Nobody mentions Soderling? He takes out Nadal at the french (no small achievment) and backs it up with good performances at wimbledon and the US Open. Played Roger pretty well at the open as well. I know his record against Federer is bad but I believe he has the game to beat anyone. His consistancy is getting better and it much more fit. I actually thought he was most improved last year based on what I have mentioned. I really see him a slam winning potential.

Just throwin a name out there.

You actually had some very astute and interesting things to say when Federer's and Murray's serve was compared to each other. There's no need to troll.

brithater
01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
You actually had some very astute and interesting things to say when Federer's and Murray's serve was compared to each other. There's no need to troll.

On this baord anyone who brings up an Idea for the sake of arguement or disagrees with an idea is a troll. People who lable others as trolls are like people who lable others as racists.

Read, Think, Post. That is the order. Manners help. If you are going to reply like a fool do not expect me to stay serious with you (unless you are makeing a joke, humor is good in life).

Sometimes when you talk to dummys you have to think dumb.

Nidhogg
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
On this baord anyone who brings up an Idea for the sake of arguement or disagrees with an idea is a troll. People who lable others as trolls are like people who lable others as racists.

Read, Think, Post. That is the order. Manners help. If you are going to reply like a fool do not expect me to stay serious with you (unless you are makeing a joke, humor is good in life).

Sometimes when you talk to dummys you have to think dumb.

Robin Söderling is quite simply not number one material, and you know that as well as I do. I've been a fan of him since long ago, and he doesn't have the mentality nor the game for it. There's also a whole heap of players around who can expose his many weaknesses.

The only reason I respond to such a farcical idea is that I hope you're taking the piss, cause you strike me as someone who should know better.

momo_momo
01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Come on. Murray in the AO SF means he's gonna perform on the same level on every other tournament? It's just January.

Stop riding on the bandwagon. Last year blah-blah. This year more blah-blah.

brithater
01-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Robin Söderling is quite simply not number one material, and you know that as well as I do. I've been a fan of him since long ago, and he doesn't have the mentality nor the game for it. There's also a whole heap of players around who can expose his many weaknesses.

The only reason I respond to such a farcical idea is that I hope you're taking the piss, cause you strike me as someone who should know better.

I have learned throughtout the years that nothing is a given and anything can happen at anytime in professional tennis. Lendle was a choker, Edberg was a late bloomer, Rafter went from the 70s one year being a nobody to #2 and US Open Champion multiple slam challenger, Couriers dominated the game and then fell apart mentaly in his early 20s. Rios gets to #1 and falls off the map for various reasons. You can never be totally sure. Federer may never win another slam. There is no telling. I just think soderling is a little forgoten about right now. Had a great year. 1st round loss was disapointing. He was my dark horse for the tournament. Seems to be mature enough to do something bigger than just last year.

Nole fan
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Well it looks like the thing is definitely between Murray and Nole (are people ready to write Del Potro off?). Murray leads by 39 votes to Djoko's 15. I'm sure if Andy had failed to reach the semis of the AO and Novak went through, people would have voted different, but that's the logic of tennis fans. You're as good as your last result.

vn01
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
No chance for Soderling.I said Nole,although Del Potro is my favourite player.I said Nole,I want Delpo,but I think Murray.He plays great during these 2 weeks.If he improves his game on clay,he would be no.1 may be after Wimbledon.:)
I,actually want Murray to rise to no.1,cause he is the best of the New Generation(Nole,Murray,Delpo):)
But hope Del Potro be in Top 3 in the end of 2010:worship:

Orka_n
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Just throwin a name out there.I agree with much of this. Soderling CAN beat anyone when he's on, and he's improving mentally. I also believe that he's capable of winning a slam, even though I don't really expect him to. Now, to take the #1 spot, that's a whole different story. As much as I love the guy, I don't think he'll ever have the kind of consistency that is necessary to accomplish that. He's a bit old, and prone to injury. If he got Norman as a coach 4-5 years ago instead of last year, then we'd be talking.

Now... who will overtake Fed? I'm hoping for Del Pony or someone similar. Murray or Nadal would be a disaster.

theseth1119
01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
How can you call Murray the best of the three when Chokovic has an AO title and Del Potro has a US Open title? They actually each have a GS title, Murray has none.

vn01
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Murray will win in 2 days

vn01
01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I mean GS title

Diprosalic
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
How can you call Murray the best of the three when Chokovic has an AO title and Del Potro has a US Open title? They actually each have a GS title, Murray has none.

murray got to number 2 without an GS title. we don't debate which is the better player, we debate wo will be the next number 1. and if murray wins the AO he has a very very good chance to get it.

Lurking
01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Come on. Murray in the AO SF means he's gonna perform on the same level on every other tournament? It's just January.

He did quite happily last year.

Del Potro will have chances of being #1 earlier than Murray will this year when the bulk of Federer's points come off and so will Djokovic if he's actually capeable of beating the top players again, though that remains to be seen.

Murray's problem is that he took 980 points last year from a potential 6500 from the start of the USO last season. That's horrific by his standards, in an average season he should be able to take 2000-2500 and if he's on fire like he was at the tail end of 08 there's 4000+ in there. He's virtually perfect until then by his standards, I doubt he'll improve on Clay significantly and everywhere else is down to variance, so he's going to remain where he is ranking wise until that time.

Diprosalic
01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
don't forget that federer has his no.1 ranking with only 4 tournaments. he has alot of points where he can make up his eventual loss of GS points.

vn01
01-28-2010, 09:34 PM
don't forget that federer has his no.1 ranking with only 4 tournaments. he has alot of points where he can make up his eventual loss of GS points.

Here,I agree.The most important tournements will be Madrid Masters-Wimbledon and Cincy and US Open

phelbyn
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Murray if anyone, but would not be at all surprised if Federer still #1 in November

With a good showing in February-May, and even decent performances as he tries to defined his three big titles (Madrid, RG, Wimbledon), I'd say Federer can hold the #1 for the whole calendar year.

That said, Murray or Djokovic are the next in line I think.