Olli Rochus: never won a match at the US Open, beats now his third 1,93m giant! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Olli Rochus: never won a match at the US Open, beats now his third 1,93m giant!

Hagar
09-04-2004, 07:52 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:
That was brilliant stuff, Olli!

I hope someone forces Xavier Malisse to watch this match every day for breakfast.
Olli is handicapped by his size. But the talent is there PLUS he's got the HEART.
Has beaten Ancic, Starace and Moya. All 1,93m. Rochus is 1,65m...

Noodles
09-04-2004, 07:53 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Go Ollie, what a great player, what great points, awesome stuff!!

Deboogle!.
09-04-2004, 07:55 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited I shed a tear for him. I'd liked him ever since I heard about him and saw little clips of him playing, but after today I am just a HUGE Fan. He moves way up near the top of my faves list, anyone who fights like that gets a big :worship: from me.

GOOD LUCK making the QF Ollie, I hope he has enough left physically after 2 5-setters

Havok
09-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Awesome stuff my Rochus, but Moya such a pathetic display of tennis.:o Why was he so tentative out there today? I mean being tentative vs Rochus?:retard: I hope Olivier can make it to the QF now.:yeah:

BelgianGirl
09-04-2004, 08:02 PM
That was a great match to watch!! :worship:
Ollie came back from a break down so many times! :eek: Great to see him play with so much fighting spirit and a brilliant touch. :bounce:
I almost cried when he won, just from seeing him so happy :o

Congrats Ollie!!! :kiss: :hug: :kiss:

Goonergal
09-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Amazing stuff from Ollie :worship: :bowdown:

Allez-H²
09-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Ollie :worship: That was an amazing match.I swear I jumped 10 ft up in the air after MP.He's just such a fighter,lot's of luck against Dominik :yeah:

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Great heart :banana:

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Well done Ollie on the performances so far in the tournament.

bcoene
09-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Congrats Olivier. :worship:

I cried several times during the match, altough it had nothing to do with the match. At least now I'm not feeling even worse, so I'm glad he won. :D

Billabong
09-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Ollie:yeah:!

azza
09-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Oli!! :worship: :hearts:

star
09-04-2004, 08:58 PM
:yippee: Oli! :yippee:

He was so great today! And he looked fabulous in red.

The crowd loved him too. They were just SCREAMING for him. :)

Deboogle!.
09-04-2004, 09:00 PM
yeah, star! Well, he's the kind of player the NYC crowds love. the underdog in almost every sense of the word, playing GREAT tennis and showing a TON of heart and refusal to give up. It don't get no better than that!!!

star
09-04-2004, 09:01 PM
:hug: I'm glad you've become a real fan now. :)

Now you see why I try to get to every single one of his matches.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 09:04 PM
yeah, star! Well, he's the kind of player the NYC crowds love. the underdog in almost every sense of the word, playing GREAT tennis and showing a TON of heart and refusal to give up. It don't get no better than that!!!

There have been plenty of players like that, who the NY crowd have never cheered for.

Anyway, it's great for Rochus to have this breakthrough and there maybe some more for him.

sol
09-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Carlos :sad: sad: sad::bigcry:
Congrats to Oliver :wavey:

Deboogle!.
09-04-2004, 09:47 PM
:hug: I'm glad you've become a real fan now. :)

Now you see why I try to get to every single one of his matches.

For sure! :) I mean, I gotta stick up for my fellow vertically challenged folk, but after seein his heart and emotion today, he has all the qualities in players I like... no reason not to a fan :aparty:

Yay, I have all kinds of new faves this week!!

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 09:55 PM
There have been plenty of players like that, who the NY crowd have never cheered for.

Anyway, it's great for Rochus to have this breakthrough and there maybe some more for him.

You just don't like Americans. Have you ever been to America?

What American players, past or present, have you liked?

zoeziepoezie
09-04-2004, 09:57 PM
What an amazing match!!! :eek:
Aaaaagrrr, I love that guy soooooo muchhh :worship: :hearts:
Congrats :hug: and good luck against Dominik!!

misyou25
09-04-2004, 09:59 PM
OLLI!!!! Olè:)

Aleksa's Laydee
09-04-2004, 10:01 PM
:banana: OLI!!!

wimanna
09-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Great win Ollie :kiss: :worship: :yippee:
I only noticed today he has such nice eyes :hearts:

Seraphim
09-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Gooooooo shorty. Kick their shins.

darnyelb
09-04-2004, 10:35 PM
That was awesome... Olivier is hysterical to watch.

I'm very happy one of Hrbaty/Rochus will be making it to the quarters.

Aurora
09-04-2004, 10:40 PM
It's good to see this guy at the center of attention, every point he got was fought for with the heart of a lion. Crowd was fantasticly into it too, great to watch that ovation.
Am I mistaken, or did he forget to give the umpire a hand in all his joy?

ae wowww
09-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Keep going Ollie, you can make it all the way hehe!!!

Layla
09-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Wow! I haven't seen the match yet (I taped it), only the last point (poor Carlos :sad: ) and his jubilation, but I'm looking forward to it. He looked soooo happy, could barely contain himself. :D

Hoorah! Well done Olli, that's a terrific win! :worship::worship::worship:

For me, he is one of the most exciting players to watch and I hear he's been playing really well in this tournament.

FerreroFan-2004
09-05-2004, 01:27 AM
He did have some great fight. I think we will see the same kind of fight in his next match against Hrbaty. I dont know if Rochus will beat him because Hrbaty just wiped the floor with Paradorn Srichiphan. And Hrbaty has stayed relatively fresh during his matches while Rochus has played 2 tough 5 setters.

Jennay
09-05-2004, 01:32 AM
Amazing Ollie :worship:

Neely
09-05-2004, 01:51 AM
:smash: Carlos :rolleyes:

I like too Carlos too much that I was excited about Ollie and his win, but but I admit that he played a formidable match and at the end his fighting spirit was just better than Carlos' who didn't use his brain at all the whole match long. Carlos was mentally not present, you could see this so often and Ollie completely wore him down by getting almost all shots back!

next time, Carlos! :help:

KarstenBraasch#1
09-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Woohoo fantastic win !!!!! :D :yeah: :banana:

I always try to watch him play too. I saw him in Hamburg this year where he choked against Costa, glad that he didn't choke this time. :)

Also thanks to Carlos who is very good at giving players their breakthrough. See Verkerk for example. ;)

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 02:38 AM
you guys gotta watch his interview (link at bottom of this post) he's just sitting there cheesing like a little kid my GOD he is so adorable!!!

O. ROCHUS/C. Moya

4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-7, 7-5

An interview with:

OLIVIER ROCHUS

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Can you describe what you were thinking when you saw the second serve of Moya go into the net.

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I don't know. Was a surprise. I was ready for the return. I think he made, I don't know, how many double-fault in the match? I think he made maybe two or one, so I was really never expecting a double-fault on the match point. I was so nervous. Then when I saw the ball in the net, I couldn't believe it. But, yeah (smiling).

Q. How do you explain doing so well in this tournament when in your other appearances in it you did not do so well?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I don't know. I think compared to the last year, I came here with much more confidence. I played a semifinal in a big challenger in Europe, and then in Athens I beat Philippoussis before losing to Moya. But I was practicing hard and I was feeling good in my game. I was very confident. I came here without pressure. I lost first round last year, so I had nothing to lose, no points to defend. Yeah, happens in tennis sometimes. You don't know why you play good.

Q. I don't think you had won a set off him before. Did you do something different? Why do you think you had more success?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I don't know. I think it's good that I play Carlos in Athens because I saw his game. I knew what I had to improve, what I had to do. And, yeah, I knew I had to make the game to be aggressive and come to the net as soon as possible. And, yeah, try my best. Hopefully it's great.

Q. Can you describe the atmosphere, the electricity on that court?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: It was unbelievable. For me, that was the biggest win in my career. The atmosphere right there was phenomenal for me. Yeah, that was the best match ever. Everything: my game, the crowd. Yeah, I think I will never forget this match, that's for sure.

Q. Did you feel people pulling for you once they saw you had taken a set?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: Yeah. The crowd was great. They were cheering for me. Yeah, that was great.

Q. You were down a break in the fourth and fifth set. What were you thinking when you got down those breaks in the sets?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I was not thinking too much. You know, in the fifth set, he broke me. Okay, I was there. We were playing for three hours and a half. I just tell to myself, "Just keep going, it's only one break. You never know. Just fight. Play point after point." That's it.

Q. The men's game is primarily a game of very tall guys. What is the best part of being 5'5"?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I don't know. It's just different. I don't know. I have different game. I have to do with my quality. For sure, I won't serve all the time like Roddick, 150 miles per hour, but I have other quality, and I have to do with that.

Q. What qualities are those?

OLIVIER ROCHUS: I think I'm fast. I see the game pretty well. I'm fast. I'm moving well around the court. I think that's my best thing, yeah.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Video: http://mfile.akamai.com/8589/rm/ibmusopen.download.akamai.com/8589/2004/int/int090403_hi.ram

Chloe le Bopper
09-05-2004, 03:48 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:
That was brilliant stuff, Olli!

I hope someone forces Xavier Malisse to watch this match every day for breakfast.
Olli is handicapped by his size. But the talent is there PLUS he's got the HEART.
Has beaten Ancic, Starace and Moya. All 1,93m. Rochus is 1,65m...
Good post.

The commentators here kept going on and on about MOya's talent and Rochus' heart... and there is a lot of truth to what they were saying, but as you pointed out, Rochus must be extremely talented to be able to compete on the ATP circuit as a midget ;)

Auscon
09-05-2004, 05:36 AM
Wish I got to see the match...

All they played was the last game, and even then there was still a brilliant point from Rochus

too bad for Moya, but good news for Henman...this puts him in really good sted to make the semi's

Funny how just yesterday I named Moya, Ferrero and Nadal as the guys I will be backing behind Lleyton (after the other aussies having bowed out), and now theyre all gone.....

MisterQ
09-05-2004, 05:57 AM
I'm thrilled for Olivier! congrats to him! :clap2:

Hagar
09-05-2004, 10:25 AM
They sometimes mistake Olli for a ballkid...
Actually, I thought one of the ballkids yesterday was taller than Olli.
Olli's got amazing touch and he's been to the same sports institute as Henin. Watch the similarity in the backhands...
Just hope Olli will aim for more now and beat Dominik.

BaselineSmash
09-05-2004, 02:46 PM
On balance, I'm happier that Rochus won, because he'll often be edged out in these epic encounters with "big" men e.g. vs Novak AO '03 in five sets, and likewise against Safin FO '02. But despite the immeasurable level of effort he puts into such matches, I still don't know why these performances only come once in a blue moon. It's great for him to be in the round of 16 at the US Open, though.

Perhaps the less said about Moya, the better. It's disappointing to see these matches in which he seems so lacklustre, so lacking in commitment and/or self-belief, especially because of his high aspirations for the year at the start of the season.

star
09-05-2004, 02:56 PM
you guys gotta watch his interview (link at bottom of this post) he's just sitting there cheesing like a little kid my GOD he is so adorable!!!

Video: http://mfile.akamai.com/8589/rm/ibmusopen.download.akamai.com/8589/2004/int/int090403_hi.ram

Completely adorable. He was so cute at the end when he said he was asked if he was a ball boy or playing in the juniors. :)

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Completely adorable. He was so cute at the end when he said he was asked if he was a ball boy or playing in the juniors. :)

:) I just love seeing that unbridled, unharnessed happiness that you just can't hide or fake. It's hard not to just sit and grin yourself after seeing someone SO happy :)

ataptc
09-05-2004, 08:51 PM
:) I just love seeing that unbridled, unharnessed happiness that you just can't hide or fake. It's hard not to just sit and grin yourself after seeing someone SO happy :)

awww ollie.. too cute :D

amazed at him beating all these really tall players.. go ollie! do justice for the short people haha

croat123
09-05-2004, 11:32 PM
mario's 1,96 and moya's 1,90 ;)

Deboogle!.
09-05-2004, 11:35 PM
do justice for the short people haha

YEA! :rocker: :rocker2: :woohoo:

tommy_girl
09-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Great win Ollie :kiss: :worship: :yippee:
I only noticed today he has such nice eyes :hearts:

me 2! :) i even told my friends who didnt see the match about it.

nwei, that game was great. good work Ollie. :worship:

William Hunt
09-06-2004, 03:57 AM
Rochus must be extremely talented to be able to compete on the ATP circuit as a midget ;)

Off course he is. I remember that John McEnroe said 2 years ago that Olivier Rochus has the best return in mae tennis apart from Agassi and Hewitt. That's some complement !

Ten_Isse_Fan
09-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Congrats Olivier ;) :yeah: If this could help "another belgian player" *hint* *hint* Xavier realize that if he REALLY puts everything he has in every match he plays, he can do great things! ;) Go Belgium! :D :lol:

Space Cowgirl
09-06-2004, 11:19 AM
too bad for Moya, but good news for Henman...this puts him in really good sted to make the semi's

I think Kiefer may have a surprise waiting for Henman today ;)

Great win for wee Ollie :bounce: