Federer's Run At #1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer's Run At #1

Ububub
01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
He is now guaranteed a 268th week at #1 to tie Connors for third place. Is he guaranteed passing Lendl at #2 (270 weeks?) How long is he guaranteed the #1 ranking, until he can be challenged by soon-to-be #2 Murray?

Byrd
01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
If he wins the AO he's guaranteed no.1 until Rome, and if he does well at the French (not sure what round, SF or better?), he's a lock for the record.

philosophicalarf
01-27-2010, 02:55 PM
The danger is clearly Madrid/Roland Garros/Wimbly, that's half his points in a short period. Before that he's surely fine, only 1170 to defend at IW/Miami/MC/Rome.

SetSampras
01-27-2010, 02:55 PM
He will never be challenged by Murray. Murray cant get it done in slams. NO ONE can get it done at slams outside of Federer and Nadal. Federer will stay number 1 as long as he wants as this point until someone comes along both sound boy AND mind and puts together great tennis at not only the smaller tournaments but the slams as well. Outside of Fed and Nadal, no player has been proven worthy of this.

Davydenko cant put it together at slams and mentally collapses after playing great 1st set tennis against Fed like we saw last night. Djoker and Murray have not proven they can get it done in slams. Djoker hasnt reached a slam final in over 2 years. Murray since 2008 though he is having a great slam, I dont expect him to win the AO. Cilic is unproven.. Roddick is finished. Del Potro cant stay healthy.. So there really isnt anyone. I think its going to have to be someone who comes blazing onto the scene. The current crop cant do any damage at the slams.

Everyone spins there head about how great the top 10-15 in the world are currently.. Yet fed and Nadal are basically still trading slams at this point outside of Del Potro's USO god mode fluke win. The rest can't get it done

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Roger must get the 286 record

i wanna see roger take Graf's record

dodo
01-27-2010, 05:41 PM
if someone can clean up outside of slams (murray is doing a decent job of that) and put in semi-decent slam performances, he will have a chance. federer, for all his awesomeness, can get it done ONLY at slams, so unless he is planning on bagging a CYGS or two, he's hardly in the clear.

dodo
01-27-2010, 05:42 PM
286 is a near-lock for Federer though.

vn01
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Well,I don't want Federer to get these 286.I simply want Nole,Murray,Delpo,Tsonga and Verdasco to be Top 5 at the end of 2010.TENNIS NEEDS CHANGE.No more Rafa,no more Federer.

TheWall
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Well,I don't want Federer to get these 286.I simply want Nole,Murray,Delpo,Tsonga and Verdasco to be Top 5 at the end of 2010.TENNIS NEEDS CHANGE.No more Rafa,no more Federer.

Verdasco?
Verdasco?!?!?

The guy can't beat any top10 player, it would be horrible for tennis if he was top5. Federer at 35 will probably be a bigger threat to the top players than Verdsaco is now.

doublebackhand
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM

change for the sake of change?

brithater
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
change for the sake of change?

Its a point of view that has a little merit. I would like to see him break the record for #1 but that is all. The #1 things is not that important though. What tennis really needs is for some of the other players to actually beat him in big events. With Nadal hurt there is nobody right now that has consistently done it.

That said....If he keeps beating them than screw these guys. Somebody either steps up or I want him to stay on top. I am not going to wish for any player to play worse in tennis. I would rather see others to get better. Then again I like high level play.

vn01
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Its a point of view that has a little merit. I would like to see him break the record for #1 but that is all. The #1 things is not that important though. What tennis really needs is for some of the other players to actually beat him in big events. With Nadal hurt there is nobody right now that has consistently done it.

That said....If he keeps beating them than screw these guys. Somebody either steps up or I want him to stay on top. I am not going to wish for any player to play worse in tennis. I would rather see others to get better. Then again I like high level play.

:worship:I AGREE

LEGENDOFTENNIS
01-27-2010, 07:27 PM
He hasn't got much points to defend at IW/Miami/MC/Rome its only at Madrid/FO/Wimbledon when it comes down to it

brithater
01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
:worship:I AGREE

Federer has worked his entire life to play tennis at its highest level. He has put the hours in and the effort. Its a bit silly to want him to play badly .....no? Kinda like hopeing someone has a bad car accident or something.

networthy
01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
On Monday Federer will tie Jimmy Connors in third place for most weeks at #1, with 268 weeks.

He's guaranteed to pass Ivan Lendl for second place on February 21 (since he's not defending any points during that time and there are no tournaments large enough at which any other player could make up the difference in points). At that point, Federer will have been at #1 for 271 weeks.

vn01
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Federer has worked his entire life to play tennis at its highest level. He has put the hours in and the effort. Its a bit silly to want him to play badly .....no? Kinda like hopeing someone has a bad car accident or something.

No.Look,I don't want Federer to start playing badly.I think that,he became THE GREATEST TENIS PLAYER IN THE TENNIS HISTORY.But:
1-I don't like him.I just don't know,but I just don't like him
2-He was the best for 6-7 years.Tennis needs another great players.There won't be such a great player,as he is in the next 10-15 years,may be,but I prefer Nole,Murray and Delpo to be the next generation of the tennis.

Peace:D

Riffrizzle
01-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Federer has locked up no. 1 until Madrid, ~14 weeks away, bringing him to 282 weeks. I think defending his top ranking from that point will be Fed's biggest challenge of 2010

Pea
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
282 weeks is guaranteed. Wow, congrats Rog!

jtipson
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Federer has locked up no. 1 until Madrid, ~14 weeks away, bringing him to 282 weeks. I think defending his top ranking from that point will be Fed's biggest challenge of 2010

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - I don't think Federer has it locked up that long.

Currently he's only 1760 ahead of Djokovic, and could be as little as 1400 in front of Murray if the latter wins the AO. In the worst case scenario, Djokovic could be number one at the end of Miami.

Corey Feldman
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
another day, another record

it must suck to be a fan of the likes of roddick, nole and nadal :cool:

Persimmon
01-27-2010, 09:55 PM
another day, another record

it must suck to be a fan of the likes of roddick, nole and nadal :cool:

The opposite of being a Fedfan.

brithater
01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
No.Look,I don't want Federer to start playing badly.I think that,he became THE GREATEST TENIS PLAYER IN THE TENNIS HISTORY.But:
1-I don't like him.I just don't know,but I just don't like him
2-He was the best for 6-7 years.Tennis needs another great players.There won't be such a great player,as he is in the next 10-15 years,may be,but I prefer Nole,Murray and Delpo to be the next generation of the tennis.

Peace:D

They have to take it. That is Tennis.

You are right on one thing though. Tennis players like Federer come around every 10 to 15 years. LOL

Just teasin a little. :D Now get to the court. You might still young enough to get on the tour someday! Dont waste your life on the internet.

wackykid
01-28-2010, 12:21 AM

change for the worse? no thanks....

regards,
wacky