Why did Matador not rest in the Off season? How much did it factor in his QF defeat? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Matador not rest in the Off season? How much did it factor in his QF defeat?

Logical
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Q. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you had one day break after the Davis Cup final, then you were back on the practice court.

RAFAEL NADAL: I had one day, one day. We finished at 7th, at 9th I was practicing.

Q. Over Christmas, did you practice Christmas Day?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Christmas Day. 24th yes. 25th, no, party.

Q. So it was really hard work all through the off‑season?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Last year I was injured. I had more time to practice. This year I finished 7th and I had only two weeks and a half. I did all in my hands practicing physically, and on court very hard. I think was a very good work.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-16/201001161263615029125.html

Why did he not rest and restore full fitness? He pulled out of Davis cup final in the middle and continued practicing? :confused:

I also remember him saying in some other interview that he did not rest well in the off season and doesn't know how his body will hold in this tournament.

Johnny Groove
01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Rafa is in a very paradoxical part of his career.

Play too much and he gets hurt.

Play too little and his timing and rhythm are not up to par.

Logical
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Rafa is in a very paradoxical part of his career.

Play too much and he gets hurt.

Play too little and his timing and rhythm are not up to par.

Sad but true. :sad: However question begs why did he not rest and recharge his batteries when his knee is still paining. El Matador losing in slams due to injury is not a pleasant sight.

Clydey
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Sad but true. :sad: However question begs why did he not rest and recharge his batteries when his knee is still paining. El Matador losing in slams due to injury is not a pleasant sight.

He didn't lose because of injury. By his own admission, he played at a very high level today. He retired because of injury. That wasn't why he lost, however.

AlteredEgo
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
He doesn't sound too bright..

Johnny Groove
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM

He didn't lose due to injury. He lost due to Murray.

I'm just concerned long term. I thought he was back to his best the first few weeks of the season.

Logical
01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
He didn't lose because of injury. By his own admission, he played at a very high level today. He retired because of injury. That wasn't why he lost, however.

Nadal is naughty sometimes. He lies and hides his injuries. Now I am inclined to thinking whether he was fit to play this tournament? :confused: I am not able to find the interview just few days ago in which he said he did not rest well in the Off season and he is not sure how his body holds for the event.

Clydey
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Nadal is naughty sometimes. He lies and hides his injuries. Now I am inclined to thinking whether he was fit to play this tournament? :confused: I am not able to find the interview just few days ago in which he said he did not rest well in the Off season and he is not sure how his body holds for the event.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude. If you want to think that he lost because he was injured, by all means delude yourself.

fred perry
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
why no rest? because he was playing awful and needed to work on his game simply to get to a level where he could compete with fed mur djok delpo and chilic. damned if you do damned if you don't. the big guys can handle his weight now. what is his second act going to be?

fred perry
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM

haha it's the first real tournament of the year. if he wasn't "fit" now, he never will be in his career. why does fed never have to take time out for "injury"? I think the only thing rafa got bruised yesterday was his ego. he was at full strength going into the murray match. and murray went toe to toe with "el matador". and put him on the deck.

Commander Data
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
shut up you tard.

Arkulari
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
the usual tardish delusion of the immortal Rafa not losing unless he's injured :rolleyes:

Murray was killing him, everything worked by the Scot, Rafa just had to retire due to the injury but he would still have lost even if he wasn't injured :shrug:

dodo
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
haha it's the first real tournament of the year. if he wasn't "fit" now, he never will be in his career. why does fed never have to take time out for "injury"?
He did, once. But according to the nadal-troll-armada, it was all lies.

martinatreue
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes... He does seem to be playing better... problem for him is that the other players also improved... Frankly his level of play would have beaten most guys except a Murray or Davydenko or MAYBE Djokovic or Federer if they are 100% on their games. I am a nadal fan but I do admire his work ethic... In this case, however, it smacks slightly of insecurity and overdoing it in the off season which is not the smartest move to make.

madmax
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
But...but Nadull never loses unless injured, no? At least that's what his retarded fanboys try to tell us

Vida
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
no, nadal didnt lost because he was injured, but it wasnt like murray was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall over him and it ended 2 1 0 with no ret.

he had his chances and didnt convert.:shrug:

LEGENDOFTENNIS
01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
It's just HC's are his problem, hes still the best on Clay and 2nd on Grass.

Maxon Tutnplok
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Nadal said after WTF in London that he will immediately start training for the new season because his mid-season injury break allowed him to stay fresh. He certainly needed the practice after those awful performances, and he played much better in Doha and Melbourne. But as far as him being a top player, I think he has 2-3 years left max. His type of tennis is just too physical, and he is bound to burn out.

swisht4u
01-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Rest was not a factor, Nadal played the best he's ever played, Murray was just too much.
-
The field is catching up and will pass him by whether good knees or not.
Just look what Potro did at the UO, Nadal was in good shape then, Davydenko knocked him around a few weeks ago. Nadal was playing great back then too.
-
RG is no longer a given, Potro, Djokovic and others are waiting for his scalp there.
-
Just the way the game goes, improve, innovate or drop in the rankings.

luie
01-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Nadull has been on the recieving end of some bad defeats lately good for tennis.