AO QF Marin Cilic defeats Andy Roddick 7-6,6-3,3-6,2-6,6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO QF Marin Cilic defeats Andy Roddick 7-6,6-3,3-6,2-6,6-3

Knightmace
01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
:worship:Congrats big man on your first SEMI!

Roddick-:o:wavey:

Bad luck, keep improving

Deivid23
Get the fuck in, Marin! :worship:

What a match, though :cuckoo:

daddy
Bravo marin

River
01-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Great match.

I'm posting hear because of the dumbass other thread >>;

Ilovetheblues_86
01-26-2010, 06:59 AM
hater title.

malisha
01-26-2010, 07:00 AM
he can miss the easyest volleys...choke to death and be inconsistent but this kid is not a coward:yeah:

bravo mali

Clydey
Roddick just got mentally outfought by Marin Cilic.

Very patchy match. Cilic put in an excellent 5th set, though. Shame Roddick couldn't crank up his serve.

tennismaster882001
Great win Marin! :D
Not the best match but good enough for Roddick! :)

hablovah19
Weird match: Cilic just disappeared for two sets!!! :eek:

Nice win!!! :banana:

Ilovetheblues_86
:yeah:

Lleyton_
Awful match.

RickDaStick
this match is a perfect example of why Roddick is an idiot. pushes like a mug first 2 sets, gets smoked. he then goes on the attack next 2 sets, completely dominates Cilic. So we go into the 5th and what does the Duck man do??? you guessed it, pushes like a mug and gets blown off the court. anyways great job by Cilic, good chance for the Finals.

shaggy
new top 10 member

OnyxRose
01-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Rafa or Murray will kill Cilic.

Good fight Andy!

River
Both can find good things in this match. Nothing to be ashamed of.

rubbERR
cilic run is fluke, just like baghdatis 2006...only 5 set wins

Geo
Cilic tried his best to choke this away :rolls: :o but Roddick went back to his passive shit in the 5th set and Cilic regained confidence. Why in the hell did Roddick change his 3rd and 4th set tactics after they worked? :spit:

if Roddick was injured, it's unfortunate, but i'm glad to see the brat ass gone :wavey: :dance: still a 1 slam wonder :lol:

and time to see patty mac cry :rolls:

Pea
Justice.

ciprianned
Congratulations MARIN :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Knightmace
I'm so pumped up for the Murray,Nadal match now! Hope it's going to be another 5 set match!

Jimnik
01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Great fight Andy, very proud of ya. :worship:

Congrats Cilic. Seems to be the marathon man this tournament.

CR3WLFC
:worship::worship:

freeandlonely
happy to see Roddick out
good luck in semi, Marin

scoobs
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Amazing effort from Cilic.

starr_00
Watching Roddick wince in pain after every serve was just painful to watch. Though props to him for not retiring and making an interesting match of it.

Hoping Cilic can give either Murray/Rafa some trouble in the next round.

Corey Feldman
Dedicated to tangerine_dream

Roddick losing to a Croat.. damn thats gotta hurt Tangy badly

double whammy you might say

River
As a Roddick fan, I'm hoping Cilic will win this to make this sting a little less xD

But we saw a glimpse of what Roddick can do if he played by instinct. I expect good things out of Andy.

tyruk14
He scalped del Potro and Roddick back-to-back. Very promising start to the year for Cilic. Were I a bandwagonner, I'd jump straight on.

Impressive mental fortitude displayed. Well done, Marin.

~Maya~
First SF :hearts:
:woohoo: :banana:

MsTree
Woah! Nice one Marin! :D

zxcvbnm
01-26-2010, 07:04 AM
how disappointing this guy roddick is.. i can always count on him to let me down

Dyraise
Cilic is over.
Congrats Nadal, 2010 AO finalist :worship:.

Byrd
Roddick LoL

Ad Wim
01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Bad match, both didn't play well at the same time. Roddick had his chances in the 5th, just like Tsonga and Verdasco, but Cilic played very well in the 5th. Good for him. He must be really destroyed atm, looks like a semi-walkover for Nadal-Murray...

Fee
Unreal match. Happy for Marin, but he's going to get smoked in the semi. He looks busted in 8 different ways even if he did win.

I get the feeling Andy will be out for a few weeks, once the pain killers wear off and the swelling kicks in. Yikes.

Corey Feldman
Cilic tried his best to choke this away :rolls: :o but Roddick went back to his passive shit in the 5th set and Cilic regained confidence. Why in the hell did Roddick change his 3rd and 4th set tactics after they worked? :spit:

Cilic fell for Roddick playing possum

KoOlMaNsEaN
01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Cilic needs some brain tests done on him. To play as passive as he did in 3 and 4 is stupidity at its finest

Smoke944
this match is a perfect example of why Roddick is an idiot. pushes like a mug first 2 sets, gets smoked. he then goes on the attack next 2 sets, completely dominates Cilic. So we go into the 5th and what does the Duck man do??? you guessed it, pushes like a mug and gets blown off the court. anyways great job by Cilic, good chance for the Finals.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Kinda funny TBH

RIboy
Good match.

Fighter Roddick and superb effort from Cilic in 5th set (0:40 down in 1st game)

I had some doubts but now I know, Cilic will be great player

Deathless Mortal
:worship:
Congrats for the semifinal, for reaching the top 10 and for not giving up! :bowdown:
At 0-0 *0-40 in the 5th I thought he's done, but he won! :D
Not a very good quality match but it's important he won :D :eek: Semifinal :D
He's 10-0 this year :eek: :worship:
And he can beat Murray or Nadal, he easily defeated both of them last time they played. AJMOOOO :rocker2:

Mechlan
01-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Congrats to Cilic, well played in the fifth, outclassed Roddick and finally found his game again. Great mental presence, he's generating quite a good 5 set record, but he looks wiped.

Should never have been that close the way Roddick was struggling early in the match. If Roddick had been 100%, he would probably have been the winner. Once again show just how much of a fighter he is, props to him.

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Perfect analysis. This match shows why Roddick gets beat in these tounaments. It has nothing to do with his game. Its bad thought process and lack of guts.

Kick Ass Marion. I knew you could do it. Cilic is the new Lendle junior of the tour.

Knightmace
Cilic could be another AO suprise finalist.

MatchFederer
Cilic is turning into quite a warrior!

It's weird.. I never really saw something 'special' in this guy but tonight, he showed me something, he really did.

Congrats, what a performance in the 5th.

Still though, I don't see Cilic as a guy who has the same level of potential as guys like Murray or Del Potro.

RIboy
btw. Cilic still looks fresh :eek:

River
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Congrats to Cilic!

HE HIT THE TOP TEN! AWESOME~

Stensland
gave him a third chance to convince me but still: cilic has one of the dullest games in the top 20. his strokes looks sooooo boring i almost fell asleep again.

this is it. i'll never watch him again unless there's a chance he gets blown off the court by someone far superior - like in the semis.

freeandlonely
Cilic is over.

oh no:sad:

Jimnik
Great match btw. Cilic deserves to be bandwagon player of the month for the fortnight he's having. He may be boring but he's a great professional.

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Cilic fell for Roddick playing possum

Yup. Veteran play from Roddick. Shows Cilics maturity to come back from this. Cilic is a warrior.

Stensland
01-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Great match btw. Cilic deserves to be bandwagon player of the month for the fortnight he's having. He may be boring but he's a great professional.

he works tennis. roddick doesn't even do THAT anymore. how has this match been great in any sense?

brithater
gave him a third chance to convince me but still: cilic has one of the dullest games in the top 20. his strokes looks sooooo boring i almost fell asleep again.

this is it. i'll never watch him again unless there's a chance he gets blown off the court by someone far superior - like in the semis.

You need to watch him when he actually plays half way decent.

Deivid23

Hope you´ve learnt returning is one of Marin´s strengths by now

RickDaStick
PMAC taking the loss very hard...

Deivid23
01-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Btw, Marin Cilic would like to dedicate this his first SF in a Slam and the feat of cracking into the top 10 to his loyal haters VoodeMar, Jaap, and a few more out there

Stensland
01-26-2010, 07:13 AM
You need to watch him when he actually plays half way decent.

i don't think it's got anything to do with form. his game just doesn't work for me. his shots look robotic, like davydenko's. there's no flair in his strokes, no actual flashiness to make me go "whoa!" why would i watch a player who's just wearing the opponent out of most the time?

add to that the lack of personality. andy at least delivers on that field.

Smoke944
PMAC taking the loss very hard...

Probably because he sees what everyone else sees and doesn't understand Roddick's thought process(or lack thereof) :lol:

Mimi
:bigcry::bigcry: poor duck, no luck at all, just like poor old goran, so many heartbreaking losses, luckily this one is not in a slam final, otherwise don't know how he can take this .....:sobbing::tears:

COA
01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Cheering Roddickowi is very ungrateful...
Enough to encompass the first set, where he had everything needed to win. Further health problems, and what is worse, when Roddick started playing the best tennis, tennis, a little reminiscent of 2003. Ending the powerful winners, a good game at his serve. Serve, which, however, the whole game because there was no shoulder. Unfortunately, when he started a 5 set it was enough to continue the concept of the game that brought victory in 4 set, he stopped it, why? After failing to convert 3BP comeback topspin and slices, one game at a weaker serve and Croat revived.

Deivid23

Okay Rainner Dullttler

Corey Feldman
hope Cilic takes out Nadal in the semis

tennismaster882001
i don't think it's got anything to do with form. his game just doesn't work for me. his shots look robotic, like davydenko's. there's no flair in his strokes, no actual flashiness to make me go "whoa!" why would i watch a player who's just wearing the opponent out of most the time?

Go cry somewhere else! :lol:

wackykid
01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Cilic is over.

assuming nadal passes the other andy first...

regards,
wacky

LaFuria
Ridiculous match but Cilic can take out Nadull if Murray can't do it, so I'm happy.

Smoke944

You go all out with the jinx attempts, huh? :lol:

MatchFederer
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM

But Murray's gonna do the business. :D

Stensland
Okay Rainner Dullttler

as i said in the last cilic thread and lots of times before: schüttler's game is even worse. way to make yourself look like a douche.

Voo de Mar
Cilic has evidentally improved his mentality in last six months :yeah: I think the crucial match was DC rubber against Fish last year. It was his first match after bitter loss to Haas at Wimbledon where he lost 8-10 in the fifth. Against Fish won 8-6 in the fifth, if it had gone in a different was Cilic would have preserved a choking ability.

Cilic's 5-seters:

- before Fish: 3-4 (42 %)
- after Fish: 5-1 (83 %)

Cilic's tie-breaks:

- before Fish: 26-35 (42 %)
- after Fish: 10-8 (55 %)

After beating Fish, Cilic won his first match after saving MP (Troicki), before that had lost twice holding MP; has won also 7 sets when was one point away from losing a set (Murray, Brands, Kohlschreiber, Troicki 2x, Wawrinka, Roddick) whilst lost 3 sets having SP (Berdych, Troicki, Tomic).

I'd say: before Fish - Cilic was a choker, after Fish - turned around into a mentally strong player.

Jimnik
he works tennis. roddick doesn't even do THAT anymore. how has this match been great in any sense?
Roddick's biggest problem today was his serve. Didn't get nearly enough cheap points and allowed Cilic to find a rhythm. Other than that I thought they both played very well. Some of the rallies were of the highest quality, great shot-making, shot selection and variety. Close match, plenty of tension, good atmosphere from the crowd etc.. For me it was great in every sense. :shrug:

And considering I'm a Roddick fan and certainly no Cilic fan, yet I still enjoyed the match.

Deivid23

Ok You don´t like him, we already know that (not bc I have a good memory, just bc you´re a fucking pain in the ass posting in every Cilic´s thread this fortnight saying you detest him), it´s fair enough. Now do us a favour and stfu.

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
All you limp dick fanboys who thought Andy should retire after the second set can go suck a lemon. Good for Andy to pull out all the stops and try to make a match out of it. Just got to learn to stay focussed Andy. Biggest opportunity hes blown in a long time. If you told Andy that Cilic would be serving in the 40% range before the match he would have been extatic. Your opponent played the worse match in the last year and you did not take advantage of it. Shame on You! Way to let the whole country down.

Oh well. Back to the Drawing Board. Time for a new coach?

Geo
just another comment-while i'm not a huge fan of Cilic's game (his forehand can be very hit-or-miss/inconsistent, he can shank easy volleys and his service motion is so weird), I can't help but like him. Just saw his post-match interview with Cahill and all I can say is Marin seems quite likable, intelligent and honest. nice to see him doing well :yeah:

i'll definitely be cheering for him against either nadal or murray.

shadows
Superb run, coming through all these 5 setters should do wonders for him mentally in the long run (perhaps not physically in the short run though). Welcome to the top 10 Marin!

rubbERR
01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Cilic has evidentally improved his mentality in last six months :yeah: I think the crucial match was DC rubber against Fish last year. It was his first match after bitter loss to Haas at Wimbledon where he lost 8-10 in the fifth. Against Fish won 8-6 in the fifth, if it had gone in a different was Cilic would have preserved a choking ability.

Cilic's 5-seters:

Cilic's tie-breaks:

After beating Fish, Cilic won his first match after saving MP (Troicki), before that had lost twice holding MP; has won also 7 sets when was one point away from losing a set (Murray, Brands, Kohlschreiber, Troicki 2x, Wawrinka, Roddick) whilst lost 3 sets having SP (Berdych, Troicki, Tomic).

I'd say: before Fish - Cilic was a choker, after Fish - turned around into a mentally strong player.

this mentally "strong" player was about to get bagelled 4th set against roddick who didnt care to much today :lol:

Stensland
Roddick's biggest problem today was his serve. Didn't get nearly enough cheap points and allowed Cilic to find a rhythm. Other than that I thought they both played very well. Some of the rallies were very high quality, great shot-making, shot selection and variety. Close match, plenty of tension, good atmosphere from the crowd etc.. For me it was great in every sense.

you're certainly not a hard man to please then, jimmy.

on a scale from 1 to 10 re: five-setter this has been a 4 for me. neither of the two has a game that can actually view neutral spectators so the only thing that could've taken this beyond a 5 anyways would've been a tight fifth set - which we didn't see.

did you watch the fifth set of tsonga-almagro?

brithater

One word.........Lendle

Deivid23
as i said in the last cilic thread and lots of times before: schüttler's game is even worse. way to make yourself look like a douche.

So you follow players whose games you find ugly and detest. Are you some kind of masochist or just a plain tool?

habibko
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
the AO trend of dark horses continues, has a great chance of making the final by beating Nadal, come on Marin! :devil:

Mechlan
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
No one giving Cilic enough credit for raising his game in the fifth. Obviously Roddick started thinking about it a little and played a little more conservatively at the end, but it's not just one player on the court. Cilic was playing like absolute trash in the third and fourth sets. Started picking it up at the end of the fourth and really turned it up to win the battle off the ground in the fifth.

If anything, Andy's serve let him down at the end. He played some monster shots (for him) and still got outhit by Cilic. It's not like Cilic can't absorb big shots, he certainly proved that in his match against Del Potro. Andy was still hitting it way harder in the fifth than, for example, the second and third sets.

Clydey
01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
And he can beat Murray or Nadal, he easily defeated both of them last time they played. AJMOOOO :rocker2:

Neither were 100%. That's not to say he won't beat them. Cilic looked fantastic against Del Potro and in that 5th set.

The Magician
01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Prepare for the wave of crazy nationalistic Croatians in MTF for a while.

bleu_cheese
01-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Great win Marin :yeah: A shame it wasn't the prettiest of matches, but the W isn't always about winner after winner. His fitness is crazy, but should be a zombie for the next match.

Mimi
the AO trend of dark horses continues, has a great chance of making the final by beating Nadal, come on Marin! :devil:

didn't you doing all types of jinxing dance for rafa? now you said he is going to make the semil? :rolleyes::banana:

rubbERR
Neither were 100%. That's not to say he won't beat them. Cilic looked fantastic against Del Potro and in that 5th set.

mummumumuumumumumu...ummumumumumumuu...... :haha:

Deivid23
01-26-2010, 07:23 AM

I´d say: before today you were saying Cilic was a limited player, that he was not big player with not much talent and that Gulbis would have a much better career. Now you´re starting to like him cause he wins breakers and 5 setters :cuckoo:.

Conclusion: You´re a nutter and you don´t have a fucking clue. Hope this helps

Stensland
So you follow players whose games you find ugly and detest. Are you some kind of masochist or just a plain tool?

i met rainer and found him very accessable and fun. that's why i'm following him.

but why do i even feel the need to answer a ridiculous **** like you? everybody knows you're one of the biggest jokes around, so i better get used to ignoring your posts like most others do.

Clydey
But Murray's gonna do the business. :D

Nadal has that match in the bag.

Knightmace
I hope hes got enough in the tank for the SF having played 3 five set macthes now

Fee
One word.........Lendle

Do you mean Ivan Lendl?

Arkulari
Cilic doesn't seem to be able to win in less than 5 sets nowadays :lol:

Congrats to the Croat and :hug: to Duck

Corey Feldman
no sign of the Rod apologists :(

scoobs
01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
I thought by the end there, Cilic was getting a much better read on the Roddick service direction than Roddick was on Cilic's, and it made a huge difference because, one he was involved in the rally, it felt more likely that Cilic would be less likely to break down but also, perversely, that he'd hit the more potent shots.

Corey Feldman
I´d say: before today you were saying Cilic was a limited player, that he was not big player with not much talent and that Gulbis would have a much better career. Now you´re starting to like him cause he wins breakers and 5 setters :cuckoo:.

Conclusion: You´re a nutter and you don´t have a fucking clue. Hope this helps:lol::yeah: burro

Machiavelli

bunch of freakin croatian nazis gonna invade MTF now, just go back where you came from and go worship Paris Hilton and Tiger Woods

Clydey
01-26-2010, 07:25 AM
mummumumuumumumumu...ummumumumumumuu...... :haha:

Naturally you come running as soon as Del Potro's name is mentioned.

LleytonMonfils
01-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I truly believe there is no god. For someone like Roddick to work as hard as he does and keep getting served these dishes of disappointments in the worst possible way. There just can't be a god. It's not right.

Good job by Cilic to not fade away in the 5th though.

malisha
01-26-2010, 07:26 AM

Cilic's 5-seters:

Cilic's tie-breaks:

you really are:cuckoo:

tennismaster882001

Conclusion: You´re a nutter and you don´t have a fucking clue. Hope this helps

So true, remember such posts about Marin many times! :lol:

Jimnik
you're certainly not a hard man to please then, jimmy.

on a scale from 1 to 10 re: five-setter this has been a 4 for me. neither of the two has a game that can actually view neutral spectators so the only thing that could've taken this beyond a 5 anyways would've been a tight fifth set - which we didn't see.

did you watch the fifth set of tsonga-almagro?
No I missed Ali-Mugro. But dude I guess we watched two different matches just now. Did you see some of the BH shots they were producing? Even Andy was hitting clean down the line winners off what is suppose to be his major weakness.

Fee
no sign of the Rod apologists :(

Sorry to disappoint you, but both Tangy and I picked Cilic for this match yesterday (at least I think she did, I know I did). I think everybody else is asleep already or don't care enough to participate. :kiss:

Clydey
I thought by the end there, Cilic was getting a much better read on the Roddick service direction than Roddick was on Cilic's, and it made a huge difference because, one he was involved in the rally, it felt more likely that Cilic would be less likely to break down but also, perversely, that he'd hit the more potent shots.

I got the same feeling. Honestly, I was struggling to see how Roddick was going to win points in that final set. Cilic was moving well and Roddick's shots had no penetration.

Voo de Mar
this mentally "strong" player was about to get bagelled 4th set against roddick who didnt care to much today :lol:

It's a part of tennis strategy when you believe in yourself and your mental and physical strength. I suggest you to watch how Lapentti played 4th set against Kucera in their QF at Aussie Open '99. Lapentti won that match 7-6(4) 6-7(6) 6-2 0-6 8-6 playing last three games of the 4th on a level widely beyond pathetic.

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Cilics match point reaction cracks me up. He just colapse. No excitement, nothing. Just fall on the ground and lay there for a second. Love this guy. Putting everything into this tournament and winning with some of his worse tennis. His serve today makes Andy Murrays serve look like Sampras.

Nothing worked for Marion today. Andy actually played a better match. Sign of a future warrior right there. Possible Multiple Grand Slam winner. As long as he does not have major injury and puts his tennis first he is going to do big things. Taking some big scalps in majors lately.

Smoke944
I truly believe there is no god. For someone like Roddick to work as hard as he does and keep getting served these dishes of disappointments in the worst possible way. There just can't be a god. It's not right.

:spit:
It's just tennis, man. He got outplayed so he lost. Not a big deal and he will go back to his huge house and wife and probably quickly forget about this loss and realize yet again how extraordinarily lucky he is.

Deivid23
i met rainer and found him very accessable and fun. that's why i'm following him.

but why do i even feel the need to answer a ridiculous **** like you? everybody knows you're one of the biggest jokes around, so i better get used to ignoring your posts like most others do.

Okay, just another one of many in here whom a players says hello and smiles to him and they become a hard core fan. Have a nice day, asskisser

LleytonMonfils
Roddick said his bottom 2 fingers were numb after the first set. He could still rip the ball, but he couldn't really control it. Also said at one point he basically started side arming his serve.

rolandgarros
01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Crap in the first game of decider

Deivid23
01-26-2010, 07:29 AM

If I find time next month I will spend half an hour or so to create a funny thread about this;)

RIboy
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
you really are:cuckoo:

:lol:

Speed of Light
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Who?... what?... where?....
Didn't this Chillybitch loose to some Tomsht earlier in the week?

Stelle
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Wtf? I really like Cilic and he is far from being the most boring player out there. And also, it was hardly a fluke. He played fantastic tennis and deserved it. Too bad for A-Rod though :( And i know this is totally irrelevant but i never realised that his name backwards is the same forwards (surname) lol. His serve is like WOAHH if you ask me..the angles he uses too are awesome

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM

Please, don't quote this fucking moron when he replys on my posts. I've got a guy on my ignore list and he's such a fucking masochistic carcass that reads what I write despite he is always against whatever I'd write :lol:

:wavey:

Stensland
01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Roddick said his bottom 2 fingers were numb after the first set. He could still rip the ball, but he couldn't really control it. Also said at one point he basically started side arming his serve.

you know, when i first heard andy explain his pain during the time-out, i thought "heart attack". :scratch:

all the stuff with the numb fingers, the slight pain throughout the right arm etc. is usually quite an alarming signal. at least when you're older.

Deathless Mortal
I think those who say Marin won't be prepared for the semifinal didn't watch Marin carefully this tournament. There were no signs of tiredness in the 5th set against Del Potro and here. He will be ready for the SF, even if it goes to the 5th set again.

malisha

from a chocker to a fighter in just 4 hours:D

this Cilic is good

Clydey
01-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Wtf? I really like Cilic and he is far from being the most boring player out there. And also, it was hardly a fluke. He played fantastic tennis and deserved it. Too bad for A-Rod though :( And i know this is totally irrelevant but i never realised that his name backwards is the same forwards (surname) lol. His serve is like WOAHH if you ask me..the angles he uses too are awesome

His nickname is "The Palindrome". I thought everyone knew that.

Langers
Decent match, not as bad as some will make out.

Congrats Marin! :yeah:

LleytonMonfils
you know, when i first heard andy explain his pain during the time-out, i thought "heart attack". :scratch:

all the stuff with the numb fingers, the slight pain throughout the right arm etc. is usually quite an alarming signal. at least when you're older.

Damn now that you say it that is kind of scary and sounds heart attackish. Good thing it didn't turn into anything of that sort and from what he is saying it is probably some kind of nerve thing.

RIboy
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM

this Cilic is good

yep, Berdych should ask for recipe :cool:

Mechlan
I think those who say Marin won't be prepared for the semifinal didn't watch Marin carefully this tournament. There were no signs of tiredness in the 5th set against Del Potro and here. He will be ready for the SF, even if it goes to the 5th set again.

He played well in the fifth, but Marin himself said he was quite tired after this match. He's played 3 five setters this tournament, would be very surprising if he wasn't tired.

habibko
didn't you doing all types of jinxing dance for rafa? now you said he is going to make the semil? :rolleyes::banana:

it's called double jinxing, if Murray didn't work, Cilic should :devil: :p

malisha
01-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Cilic always had a good kick serve...he needs to use it more often even on first serves
flat serve is not that good and have much bigger error margine

scoobs
01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Did I imagine it or is there still a record that no player has won 4 back to back 5 set matches at a slam?

If so, Cilic will be the next to get a pop at that, if his semi gets to a fifth set of course.

LleytonMonfils
01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Cilic always had a good kick serve...he needs to use it more often even on first serves
flat serve is not that good and have much bigger error margine

He makes his kick serve look so effortless. It's kind of scary.

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
:spit:
It's just tennis, man. He got outplayed so he lost. Not a big deal and he will go back to his huge house and wife and probably quickly forget about this loss and realize yet again how extraordinarily lucky he is.

exactlly...poor, poor Roddick. Hes a multi-millionaire when there are real working men out there getting shit on every day trying to pay their mortgage and feed their kids.
Think how lucky you are that one of your biggest concerns tonight was weather some multi-millionaire wins a tennis match on another continent. kinda puts things in perspective.

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Did I imagine it or is there still a record that no player has won 4 back to back 5 set matches at a slam?

If so, Cilic will be the next to get a pop at that, if his semi gets to a fifth set of course.

No, two players at the Australian Open won 4 five-setters in the past.

LleytonMonfils
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
exactlly...poor, poor Roddick. Hes a multi-millionaire when there are real working men out there getting shit on every day trying to pay their mortgage and feed their kids.
Think how lucky you are that one of your biggest concerns tonight was weather some multi-millionaire wins a tennis match on another continent. kinda puts things in perspective.

No Liberia puts things into perspective. And it isn't weather there. I swear you aren't old enough to buy a beer.

Jimnik
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Unfortunately it was his 2nd not 3rd round that went the distance. He'd have to go to 5 in the final too.

Deathless Mortal
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
He played well in the fifth, but Marin himself said he was quite tired after this match. He's played 3 five setters this tournament, would be very surprising if he wasn't tired.

Of course he is tired after the match, but he has 2 days, he will rest and relax, and these long matches won't affect his game. You'll see. ;)

~Maya~
01-26-2010, 07:40 AM

It sounds like radiculopathy. Pinched or inflamed nerve, but he says that they don't think it's something chronic

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:40 AM
He makes his kick serve look so effortless. It's kind of scary.

its because ever toss is behind his head. Guy looks like daddy longlegs when he serves. I will be amazed if he does end up with bach or shoulder prtoblems.

Deivid23
01-26-2010, 07:41 AM

this Cilic is good

:haha:

scoobs
01-26-2010, 07:42 AM
No, two players at the Australian Open won 4 five-setters in the past.

Oh okay.

Unfortunately it was his 2nd not 3rd round that went the distance. He'd have to go to 5 in the final too.

You're right, ignore me. I'm losing the plot. Sleep deprivation :)

rubbERR
01-26-2010, 07:42 AM
fighter when 2-0 sets up? oh gosh...

fangirl
01-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Marin nearly choked it. Glad he held his head together in the end. Future top 5 player as soon as the mental toughness catches up with the talent IMO.

rubbERR
these 5 set victories just shows that his run is nothing more than fluke

Corey Feldman

No, two players at the Australian Open won 4 five-setters in the past.Escude one of them in 1998

scoobs
01-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Of course he is tired after the match, but he has 2 days, he will rest and relax, and these long matches won't affect his game. You'll see. ;)
Marin Cilic, the player that defies the laws of physics and biology :rolleyes:

He's going to be tired. The only question is how much that will affect his play and his mindset. It may free him up, he may be relaxed and go for it without overthinking because he's weary. Or it may do for him and after a burst of energy at the start he hits a wall.

But no player who has dropped 7 sets in getting to the semi-finals is not tired and unaffected in their gameplay.

dr.Damir
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
What a Spartan Marin... 4 and half hours ON THE HEAT to beat Del Potro, 4 hours ON THE HEAT to beat Roddick and 4 hours to beat Tomic. Nadal who?

brithater
01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
No Liberia puts things into perspective. And it isn't weather there. I swear you aren't old enough to buy a beer.

You still live with mom and dad dont ya. Talk to me about maturity when you have some kids and provide for someone. When I was 22 I had my head burried in the sand with bullets flying over my head so go suck some fisheads. Your insults are getting a little childish fanboy.

Mr. Oracle
Took chilich 5 sets to beat a one armed duck. Great, another mug in the top ten with the personality of a chia pet. Makes sampras look passionate by way of comparison. Wake me when its over,

Har-Tru
So another giant ballbasher on the top ten... oh tennis.

Stelle
01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I think he is pretty mentally stable cilic and i would say he pretty much told himself not to worry about this set once he was broken twice and to save his energy for the fifth. Love Cilic :) He needs to shave his near mono though :D

rubbERR
01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
So another giant ballbasher on the top ten... oh tennis.

del potro has more variety, he is using more slices thesedays ;)

Pea
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM

:haha: Do you believe in karma?

Jimnik
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM
del potro has more variety, he is using more slices thesedays ;)
To me it looks like Cilic slices more than Potro.

rubbERR
01-26-2010, 07:50 AM

did u see how much delpo used slices against cilic and mayer? especially against cilic

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 07:51 AM

To me as well, and he goes to the net more often.

rubbERR
01-26-2010, 07:53 AM
cilic doesnt even know what slice is but surely he is better netplayer than delpo

Jimnik
did u see how much delpo used slices against cilic and mayer?
Yup I saw Cilic-Delpo. Maybe we can get a 3rd opinion.

Shame stats men don't count slice totals.

LleytonMonfils
You still live with mom and dad dont ya. Talk to me about maturity when you have some kids and provide for someone. When I was 22 I had my head burried in the sand with bullets flying over my head so go suck some fisheads. Your insults are getting a little childish fanboy.

Suck some fishheads? :lol: You assume by my age I still live at home. Big mistake, kiddo. I won't get into a pissing match with you though, not worth my time.

Apemant
01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

:devil:

Deathless Mortal
01-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Marin Cilic, the player that defies the laws of physics and biology :rolleyes:

He's going to be tired. The only question is how much that will affect his play and his mindset. It may free him up, he may be relaxed and go for it without overthinking because he's weary. Or it may do for him and after a burst of energy at the start he hits a wall.

But no player who has dropped 7 sets in getting to the semi-finals is not tired and unaffected in their gameplay.

He has enough time to recover, his fitness is great, as I said he didn't look tired in the 5th set against Del Potro, nor today against Roddick, and this match wasn't that exhausting for a 5setter so I see no reason why he wouldn't be ready for a possible 5setter against Nadal or Murray after a 2days rest.

Jimnik
01-26-2010, 07:56 AM
To me as well, and he goes to the net more often.
Indeed and he definitely hugs the baseline more closely than the rest of this generation. Potro has more firepower but Cilic takes time away from his opponents, bit like Federer.

Guy Haines
01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Marin! :)

I called this as his breakthrough tourney before it started. He's a human player, prone to nerves, but he has great maturity and resolve.

In the final set when his game took flight I loved how he'd dance his way though a winning point. That's what inspiration looks like.

More congrats to Oranges and those who he's talented and still improving.

Carlita
01-26-2010, 07:58 AM
:worship:well done Marin!!!! :woohoo:

Yves.
01-26-2010, 08:00 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANDYYYYY:o:o:o:o:o

He had to clinch it having won the third and fourth set!!!

FUCK FITD!

brithater
01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Suck some fishheads? :lol: You assume by my age I still live at home. Big mistake, kiddo. I won't get into a pissing match with you though, not worth my time.

Your the one who always starts this stuff. Stick to the tennis and we will be fine. I know its hard when your favorites loose. After you watch enough tennis you realize its just the game. Anything can happen with these guys. Roddick could have won this in straights if he would have been sharp from the start. Some days its just not there. He will be back again.

serveandvolley80
01-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Same thing was said about Federer and look at him now, he grew on people.

Apemant
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Aren't SFs on friday? :scratch: That would make it 3 days.

And 3 days is more than enough for the body muscles to completely regenerate.

LleytonMonfils
01-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Your the one who always starts this stuff. Stick to the tennis and we will be fine. I know its hard when your favorites loose. After you watch enough tennis you realize its just the game. Anything can happen with these guys. Roddick could have won this in straights if he would have been sharp from the start. Some days its just not there. He will be back again.

Trust me I was a 3 sport athlete in high school, I know it's just a game. I'm just a very intense person and wear my emotions on my sleeve or my keyboard if you will. Whether it is me personally competing or one of my favorites in any sport, after a loss it takes me a couple hours or so to get over it. In the end though I realize it's just a game, just takes a little time is all. :wink:

Deathless Mortal
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Aren't SFs on friday? :scratch: That would make it 3 days.

And 3 days is more than enough for the body muscles to completely regenerate.

I thought so too, but on the tournament schedule it says the 1st SF is on Thursday :confused:

name_change
01-26-2010, 08:38 AM
YAY!!!!! So happy he won.

tnosugar
01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Bravo Marine!
Something has definitely changed, and it's not the coach :D
I'm so glad for him... Let's have a Djo-Chill final with a well behaved crowd... utopia :P

LocoPorElTenis
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Very happy for Cilic :).

tennismaster882001
01-26-2010, 09:27 AM
IVczDw32RjE

General Suburbia
01-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Match showed the best of both players and the worst of both players. Cilic will probably learn from this win and get better in time. Roddick will probably keep playing passive even though the 3rd and 4th sets showed how effective his game can be if he's just a little bit more aggressive with his groundstrokes.

Doomach777
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
ajmo Hrvatska!!

Topspin Forehand
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Cilic is a phenomenal talent like Del Potro imo. Just a little too streaky hurts him but I think he will find more consistency eventually.

Deathless Mortal
01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
ajmo Hrvatska!!

So you did cheer for him this time? :rolleyes:

scarecrows
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
rafito and roborod out

what a great day for tennis

Ranger
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
His celebration remembered me on this here...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2409/caror.gif

tennizen
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Cilic's 5-seters:

Cilic's tie-breaks:

What a load of nonsense. Cilic was/is an up and coming player. Every player will have great number of losses in close matches in the early stages of their career simply because of inexperience and obviously there will be a turning point. That Haas match, if I remember correctly, he actually fought from being 2 sets down to making it a five set match. He could easily have lost it in the third and gone away.

As I said before, Cilic has a really sound head. I noticed it from 2007 onwards. That doesn't mean he will always win. He has a great game but he has not learned to rein his forehand very well and also his game is high-risk, error-prone game and on some days he just make too many errors.

Edit: Congrats to Marin:woohoo: I think his run will probably end here but he has really established himself on the big stage now. And top 10 for the first time:worship::worship:

aussie_fan
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Great fight from Roddick battling with that shoulder issue which affected him, should teach though not to be such a pusher at times. How did he get broken in the fifth, Roddick's play or was Cilic too good?

Well Done to Cilic, can be so streaky with his game at times, still don't know whether i like his game or not, great fight as well though, 3 5 setters now.

Vida
01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
His celebration remembered me on this here...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2409/caror.gif

:eek::lol: what was that?!

marin :yeah:

cobalt60
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Congrats to both players :hatoff: Very exciting for Marin though!

tennizen
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Roddick on Cilic

Q. What are your impressions of him as a young player coming through?

ANDY RODDICK: He keeps it together real well. Unlike a lot of the young guys who are very emotionally up and down, he doesn't beat on his chest, he stays the course, he's very deliberate, he hits the ball very well. Doesn't give an inch on the baseline. He literally sets up shop right behind the baseline and isn't going to be moved.

That's something to be dealt with when you're out there.

Q. Cilic has played two five‑setters in a row, three in the tournament. How much of a factor do you think that will be for him in the next round, two five‑setters?

ANDY RODDICK: It will be a factor. Guessing how much, I'm not sure. The good thing for him is that he doesn't ‑‑ because he stands so close to the baseline and kind of directs traffic, there's not a whole ‑‑ he rarely gets outside the sidelines. Similar to what Andre used to do as far as minimizing his movement because he's controlling the points. Similar to how Del Potro plays a lot. So that's good for him. I don't think he's going to be able to ‑‑ he doesn't really spread the court too much.

That being said, five‑setters are five‑setters. I'm sure he'll be a little tired. He'll probably be cheering for those guys to go long tonight.

Q. In terms of the young players you've seen coming through this game, his ability to get through the fifth sets, be unflappable, resilient, where would you put him in the group of young players you've seen in the game?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I don't know. He's definitely composed. I mean, I don't know where to rank people 'cause, you know...

I mean, he was the same after he lost two sets as when he won two sets. I think that will definitely serve him well over the course of his career. I feel like, you know, there's a lot to like about him. He just goes about his business, does it the right way, and seems like a very hard worker. You know, like you said, he doesn't give you any encouragement, like the feeling you're on top of him, even though I probably was for a little while.

brithater
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
What a load of nonsense. Cilic was/is an up and coming player. Every player will have great number of losses in close matches in the early stages of their career simply because of inexperience and obviously there will be a turning point. That Haas match, if I remember correctly, he actually fought from being 2 sets down to making it a five set match. He could easily have lost it in the third and gone away.

As I said before, Cilic has a really sound head. I noticed it from 2007 onwards. That doesn't mean he will always win. He has a great game but he has not learned to rein his forehand very well and also his game is high-risk, error-prone game and on some days he just make too many errors.

Edit: Congrats to Marin:woohoo: I think his run will probably end here but he has really established himself on the big stage now. And top 10 for the first time:worship::worship:

What utter foolishnes is this. Everybody knows on MTF that anyone who has a losses in there career early is a mugg and aint gonna do sh1t in professional tennis. Who are you kidding. Cilic wont even get a game against Murray.

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
agree with Roddick on that

i said the same

brithater
01-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Roddick on Cilic

Pretty good analysis from Roddick. The only thing I would add is that there are some old guys that are pretty up and down to......Andy.

Ranger
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
:eek::lol: what was that?!

marin :yeah:

Well, a cramp probably. Or any theatre show from Wozniacki. Because even the women in the stands applauded.

Azurebi
01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Congrats to Marin, very calm. Very impressive...
I think Roddick should have withdrawn after 2nd. Marin's crappy play in early 3rd, then 4th gave Roddick hope.
What a waste of using his injured shoulder 3 more sets for Andy.

tennishero
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
roddick was average throughout this tournament, gonzo should have beat him tbh.

brithater
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Congrats to Marin, very calm. Very impressive...
I think Roddick should have withdrawn after 2nd. Marin's crappy play in early 3rd, then 4th gave Roddick hope.
What a waste of using his injured shoulder 3 more sets for Andy.

Yeah he should have quit. No sense playing if you know your gonna lose. Real champions like Rafa quit when they get hurt. Thats why Nadal keeps winning slams. He is smart about his career and his body. Roddick decides to just go out and run around the court like a silly fool injured an all. Everybody knew he was going to lose. I felt bad for him when the crowd started laughing at him a few points. Way to go Andy......Knuclehead!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I should have trusted you and picked you in ST! :o
Good to see Marin is the first Croatian to make it in SF! :rocker2:

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Load of nonsense it's something what you're capable to deliever with this post sweetheart. But obviously you've got in your memory around 15 scorelines in comparison to more than 2000 of mine.

# Borg (17 years) in just his 2nd Grand Slam tournament beat Lall 6-3 6-4 9-8(18) -> still unbeaten record after 37 years for the longest tie-break and during that tournament had 4-0 in 5-setters in career.
# Becker as 17 year-old at Wimbledon won 2 consecutive 5-setters being 2 points away from defeat, and 2 another matches in 4-setters saving setpoints in both of them.
# 17 year-old Wilander won Roland Garros winning last 4 matches beating experienced players (one of them in 5, and three in difficult 4)
# Sampras (17) won his first ATP match saving 4 match points (Cilic needed 68 tournaments) and did it against a player who had already 3 QF's at Majors
# 17 year-old Chang after RG '89 triumph had 5-1 in five-stters beating there two Grand Slam champions at time.
# Federer as a teenager had already won 3 matches in a 3rd set TB (Cilic waited for something like this 68 tournaments... again that "famous" match with Troicki)
# 16 year-old Hewitt winning first tournament had those scorelines in last 4 matches:
Woodforde 4-6 7-6(1) 6-1
Spadea 7-5 3-6 6-1
Agassi 7-6(5) 7-6(4)
Stoltenberg 3-6 6-3 7-6(4)

Obviously in your narrow-mind is inconceivable that a player in his 2nd ATP tournament (Hewitt) can beat 7-6 7-6 a guy who plays a tournament No. 185 (Agassi).

I can write more about the thema making out a case for this but I wanted only to show you examples of the players from the very top.
Go to learn something about tennis history before you'll start your :bs:, ATM your eyes poke out only above the level of Cilic's pants.

That Haas match, if I remember correctly, he actually fought from being 2 sets down to making it a five set match. He could easily have lost it in the third and gone away.

Employing this ridiculous criteria Blake would be known as a mental monster.

River
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah he should have quit. No sense playing if you know your gonna lose. Real champions like Rafa quit when they get hurt. Thats why Nadal keeps winning slams. He is smart about his career and his body. Roddick decides to just go out and run around the court like a silly fool injured an all. Everybody knew he was going to lose. I felt bad for him when the crowd started laughing at him a few points. Way to go Andy......Knuclehead!

wtf?

Please tell me you're joking, because you contradicted every single thing you said in the live thread, telling us what a bitch Andy would be if he retired...

tennizen
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Load of nonsense it's something what you're capable to deliever with this post sweetheart. But obviously you've got in your memory around 15 scorelines in comparison to more than 2000 of mine.

# Borg in just 2nd Grand Slam tournament beat Lall 6-3 6-4 9-8(18) -> still unbeaten record after 27 years for the longest tie-break and during that tournament had 4-0 in 5-setters in career.
# Becker as 17 year-old at Wimbledon won 2 consecutive 5-setters being 2 points away from defeat, and 2 another matches in 4-setters saving setpoints in both of them.
# 17 year-old Wilander won Roland Garros winning last 4 matches beating experienced players (one of them in 5, and three in difficult 4)
# Sampras won his first ATP match saving 4 match points (Cilic needed 68 tournaments) and did it against a player who had already 3 QF's at Majors
# 17 year-old Chang after RG '89 triumph had 5-1 in five-stters beating there two Grand Slam champions at time.
# Federer as a teenager had already won 3 matches in a 3rd set TB (Cilic waited for something like this 68 tournaments... again that "famous" match with Troicki)
# 16 year-old Hewitt winning first tournament had those scorelines in last 4 matches:
Woodforde 4-6 7-6(1) 6-1
Spadea 7-5 3-6 6-1
Agassi 7-6(5) 7-6(4)
Stoltenberg 3-6 6-3 7-6(4)

Obviously in your narrow-mind is inconceivable that a player in his 2nd ATP tournament (Hewitt) can beat 7-6 7-6 a guy who plays a tournament No. 185 (Agassi).

I can write more about the thema making out a case for this but I wanted only to show you examples of the players from the very top.
Go to learn something about tennis history before you'll start your :bs:, ATM your eyes poke out only above the level of Cilic's pants.

Be careful there, you won't win GM's best poster and pop contest if you post these sort of insults:hug:

Wow, you selected the results of some of the game's best players/ early winners to counter me:rolls:

Just because a few great players did the above doesn't mean every good/great player will follow the same pattern. The general pattern for an up and coming player is to lose a few matches, which by their game, they are in a position to win. Because winning takes learning.

I don't know about individual matches but Fed clearly suffered from the difficulty of putting his game together to win tournaments( also called choking) before he went on to win 15 slams.

And comparing a 19/20 year old Cilic to Blake who is at the end of his career is just funny:lol:

Sometimes, collecting stats is not enough. You have to use common sense to make something out of them:hug:

SetSampras
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Proof is in the pudding on Roddick adopting his pusher baseline play. Looks like Im right again.. Not to toot my own horn. He will ALWAYS be overcome by someone superior from the baseline. He never should have left Gilbert. Stupid move

oranges
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM

But that's just it. You can't make definitive statements on stats alone, without viewing them in the context of actual matches, game style, opponent, etc. If you remember our discussion whether he is a fighter or not, you claimed he lacks it and I insisted it's just the opposite and you'll see soon enough. Just because you recognize it now doesn't mean it wasn't there before. The matches he fought for very hard were just not high profile enough for you, plus you discount any hard fight that doesn't end up with a win, which IMO is mixing up being clutch and being a fighter among other things. The match against Fish was no particular turnaround, though it certainly helps build confidence and calmness. :shrug:

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Be careful there, you won't win GM's best poster and pop contest if you post these sort of insults:hug:

Yeah, because I dream all the time only about this :rolleyes:

Wow, you selected the results of some of the game's best players/ early winners to counter me:rolls:

To emphesize your statement "Every player will have great number of losses in close matches in the early stages of their career". You'd have written "every player on Cilic's level...". Of course he isn't from the league of the players I've mentioned.

tangerine_dream
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
rafa pusses out and doesnt give Andy match point. Thats not what real men do rafa. Andy served the match of his life and play wonderful tactical tennis. Rafa would not stick with adjustments that were working. Andy turned into a serve and volleyer on most first serves. The guy went from playing like Santoro last round to playing like Rafter. Nadal was weak on opportunities and made a lot of errors. Andy just too hot serving out of his mind and defending BPs well with aces. Real ass woopin.

What was your prior screenname before you got banned?

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
But that's just it. You can't make definitive statements on stats alone, without viewing them in the context of actual matches, game style, opponent, etc. If you remember our discussion whether he is a fighter or not, you claimed he lacks it and I insisted it's just the opposite and you'll see soon enough. Just because you recognize it now doesn't mean it wasn't there before. The matches he fought for very hard were just not high profile enough for you, plus you discount any hard fight that doesn't end up with a win, which IMO is mixing up being clutch and being a fighter among other things. The match against Fish was no particular turnaround, though it certainly helps build confidence and calmness. :shrug:

Do you know my tribute threads? I try to show there a complex compilation of results which we can analyse in the department of player's mentality.

If you lose a match 4-6 3-6 7-6(13) 7-6(7) 6-7(6) it's nice to know that you saved 7 match points in 3rd and 4th set but it isn't nice knowin' you had 6:2 in the last tie-break to lose last four points.

The most important is the last point in the match. Blake for example is decent in tie-breaks and tight tie-breaks but it doesn't change his choking image knowing his 5-set record and his record in a tie-break of the third set. Sometimes there's a red thin line which separate a player from a zero to a hero...

Getta
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM

partially surprised at how relaxed you are.

Sometimes, collecting stats is not enough. You have to use common sense to make something out of them:hug:

always know what problem you’re working on, perhaps the first rule of engineering.

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
partially surprised at how relaxed you are.

Yeah, I know that my post is exaggerated unfortunatley my negative energy exploded here because Tenniszen is 4th or 5th member who was aggressive towards me in this thread only because I showed my point of view.

I hate the way to argue starting with "load of none-sense" - this is exactly what Tenniszen wrote to reply on my post. What is it? Is it reasonable comment to reply on the post when I showed only statistical facts?

tennizen
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
To emphesize your statement "Every player will have great number of losses in close matches in the early stages of their career". You'd have written "every player on Cilic's level...". Of course he isn't from the league of the players I've mentioned.

I should have said most players.

always know what problem you’re working on, perhaps the first rule of engineering.

Yeah, I know that my post is exaggerated unfortunatley my negative energy exploded here because Tenniszen is 4th or 5th member who was aggressive towards me in this thread only because I showed my point of view.

I hate the way to argue starting with "load of none-sense" - this is exactly what Tenniszen wrote to reply on my post. What is it? Is it reasonable comment to reply on the post when I showed only statistical facts?

That was a bit harsh from my side but don't kid yourself about just presenting statistical facts. I was not going by this post of yours alone. You have shown a very distinct bias in your analysis of Cilic and we have a history of arguing about it.

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
That was a bit harsh from my side but don't kid yourself about just presenting statistical facts. I was not going by this post of yours alone. You have shown a very distinct bias in your analysis of Cilic and we have a history of arguing about it.

I'm not biased and I just try to stick to the facts from statistical point of view. If I had been biased I would have written that Cilic advanced to the semis because of a fluke (I saw similar comments in this thread). I saw his matches against Tomic, Del Potro and Roddick and I know how good he was mentally in those matches (especially at 3:4 in the fifth against Tomic).

I can agree that a player fights beautifully (let's say that match with Haas) but after years only scorelines survive, foggy memory and only the winners will be mentioning in discussions. I'm closer to talk about the dry facts than about the spirit of the game albeit the spirit is important as well but more on the present terms.

oranges
01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Do you know my tribute threads? I try to show there a complex compilation of results which we can analyse in the department of player's mentality.

If you lose a match 4-6 3-6 7-6(13) 7-6(7) 6-7(6) it's nice to know that you saved 7 match points in 3rd and 4th set but it isn't nice knowin you had 6:2 in the last tie-break to lose last four points.

The most important is the last point in the match. Blake for example is decent in tie-breaks and tight tie-breaks but it doesn't change his choking image knowing his 5-set record and his record in a tie-break of the third set. Sometimes there's a red thin line which separate a player from a zero to a hero...

And I hugely appreciate the tribute threads and other stat work, but that doesn't change the fact that there is often a huge amount of difference behind those stats. How those particular MPs were lost for instance. Did he really choke/freeze, chicken out and just wait what would happen, miss three perfect sitters after building the point just right? Did the opponent suddenly raise the game to a new level and win them all on his own? You get the picture.

At the end of a career, it is likely that those differences start to pale in significance, after all a pattern has been set and it becomes a vicious circle in which you feel less and less confident when a similar situation arises and your opponent the opposite knowing your track record, but the same is not true for developing players or even relatively established ones, with still a lot of years of playing ahead. There are indications in the way important points/matches were played that might not go hand in hand with what the stats indicate and when/if things turn around in the future, it's not really a surprise.

You obviously don't put much or anything into matches lost no matter what. I don't subscribe. In Cilic's case, I consider the match with Djokovic at the USO both highly indicative of his particular strengths in the mental department and vastly more important for his development as a player than the Fish win, for instance. Naturally, you need to start winning those matches at some point, but the point is not every loss is the same and the same stats do not necessairly tell the same story. He didn't become a different player all of a sudden, it's actually just progress.

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
big Goran never reach an Aussie Open semi ?

oranges
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
big Goran never reach an Aussie Open semi ?

Nope, just Wimby and USO. QFs in RG and AO

Voo de Mar
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
And I hugely appreciate the tribute threads and other stat work, but that doesn't change the fact that there is often a huge amount of difference behind those stats. How those particular MPs were lost for instance. Did he really choke/freeze, chicken out and just wait what would happen, miss three perfect sitters after building the point just right? Did the opponent suddenly raise the game to a new level and win them all on his own? You get the picture.

At the end of a career, it is likely that those differences start to pale in significance, after all a pattern has been set and it becomes a vicious circle in which you feel less and less confident when a similar situation arises and your opponent the opposite knowing your track record, but the same is not true for developing players or even relatively established ones, with still a lot of years of playing ahead. There are indications in the way important points/matches were played that might not go hand in hand with what the stats indicate and when/if things turn around in the future, it's not really a surprise.

You obviously don't put much or anything into matches lost no matter what. I don't subscribe. In Cilic's case, I consider the match with Djokovic at the USO both highly indicative of his particular strengths in the mental department and vastly more important for his development as a player than the Fish win, for instance. Naturally, you need to start winning those matches at some point, but the point is not every loss is the same and the same stats do not necessairly tell the same story. He didn't become a different player all of a sudden, it's actually just progress.

Yes, I agree with all above but as I already said, I'm concentrated mainly on the facts, I see you're deeply involved in "spirit of Cilic's career" what doesn't surprise me seeing your avatar. But for me Cilic is only one of hundreds of players, from the past and from the future.

And about match points (this issue which is bolded) I'll tell you how I see this on a example: you lead 6:5 (40-30) at one set apiece in the 3rd set against a big server - he serves an ace and you lose the match in the final tie-break. And the conclusion would be: I lost because I couldn't do anything on his serve at my match point.

I couldn't agree with it.

If you have "sixth sense" or you can read opponet's serve, and you're able to take the risk, you can assume before the serve where the ball would land and take two steps in your right or left before the serve and surprised the opponent with a winning return, and win it 7-5 instead of losing 6-7... I belive that a player has always own chances no matter who serves, only the proportions are convertible.

The fact Davydenko lost only two matches from a match point up in 243 tournaments, and it was just "1" and "1" is extraordinary for me! The guy is solid, everyone knows but when he gets match point he encroaches on a different level on concentration, 6th sense, I don't know, the same actually with Nicolas Lapentti.

docking34
01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
cannot believe roddick actually lost this. why dint he just quit??

Fee
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I thought so too, but on the tournament schedule it says the 1st SF is on Thursday :confused:

AO is the only slam that plays the semi finals on two different days.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
well done Top 10 Cilic :yeah:

A-Rod great fight :hug:

chammer44
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Always a good day when Roddick is sent packing.

Rosa Luxembourg
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Marin :worship: for getting to the semi and:worship: for sending Roddick packing

Knightmace
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I predict Cilic losing to Murray in 5

Noleta
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow Cilic:eek:

Roddickominator
01-26-2010, 10:21 PM
It looked like Andy was gonna throw in the towel in the 2nd set, his shoulder was bothering him. But he hung in there...started playing more aggressively than i've seen in a loong time, and Cilic's level dropped so Andy took the 3rd and 4th sets.

5th set Cilic started hitting his first serves....I believe he was under 50% for the match but over 60% in the 5th set. After Andy failed to convert the break at 0-40 on Cilic....he didn't get any more chances.

Disappointing result....but I am proud of Andy's effort this tournament. He should have lost against Gonzalez, but weathered the storm, fought, and kept it close while Gonzo was in beast mode. Then coming back from 2 sets down against Cilic with a shoulder injury(visibly affecting his serve) and actually beating him from the baseline to do it. But Cilic is a good young player....I don't think he will beat Murray but is primed to make a big run at Wimbledon or more likely the US Open.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Roddick shoulda won-

cilic is shit

shit serve
shit BH
shit game
runs well for a big guy though

Pea
01-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Uh lols.

Cilic has a better serve, forehand, backhand, court coverage, and volleys than rodduck.................so...................

River
01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Uh lols.

Cilic has a better serve, forehand, backhand, court coverage, and volleys than rodduck.................so...................

And you wonder why people tend to ignore you. :rolleyes:

Havok
01-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Congrats to Cilic for hanging tough after getting roughed up in the 3rd and 4th set. Good luck for the rest of the tournament and props for cracking the top 10, even if you have temporarily kicked out Verdasco!:p

Andy, what can I say. Yet another Slam disappointment, though I'm surely used to it by now.:o
He really needs to stop with the pushing and revert back to how he used to play as a teen/young adult. Right now he has NOTHING to lose so he should be playing like it. Don't be scared of crashing out at Slams/big events and play with a higher risk game so that just maybe during one of the, you play lights out and can beat the top players and win one.:shrug:

heya
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
All you limp dick fanboys who thought Andy should retire after the second set can go suck a lemon. Good for Andy to pull out all the stops and try to make a match out of it. Just got to learn to stay focussed Andy. Biggest opportunity hes blown in a long time. If you told Andy that Cilic would be serving in the 40% range before the match he would have been extatic. Your opponent played the worse match in the last year and you did not take advantage of it. Shame on You! Way to let the whole country down.

Oh well. Back to the Drawing Board. Time for a new coach?Don't watch him. It makes you happier...

Roddick has the genetics for self-destructive

behavior & no athleticism
He doesn't love work. He jumped into tennis just because his brother played too.
He'll quit tennis just like he'll dump the wife.

As I said, he'd collapse physically & emotionally but we all know he
didn't care because he showed up to get free money or beg for charity cash.
Selfish idiot brat Pat McEnroe sucks Federer's ass,
and cares about himself and Davis Cup.
Let's not pretend he cares about current Americans.
He admitted that Roddick just lies to provoke the media & satisfy the players.

heya
01-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Q. You fought hard and clawed your way back into it. You had Love‑40 in the first game of the fifth. Did that kind of suck the wind out of you a little bit?

ANDY RODDICK: No. I mean, I had one really good look at a return, a forehand. Kind of pulled up on it. I was sitting on it. I think I got a little overexcited, was actually out in front of it. You know, he hit a good off‑forehand, which is the one you want to make him hit. It's his least favorite. He hit it well.

If anything, I don't know that it affected me that much. I still hit the ball pretty well in the fifth. I think maybe he calmed down a little bit after he was able to get out of that hole.

Q. Ever played in a match with so many twists and turns?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I'm sure I have. I can't remember right now. You know, that's the way it is sometimes.

Q. Were you forced to flatten the ball out more off the ground on the forehand? Was it hurting your hand hitting topspin?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. Yeah, I was having trouble when it was up a little bit, kind of when I had to kind of hit it and pull back.

But, you know, I was playing pretty high‑risk and the ball was dropping in for a couple of sets. Like I said, I even think I hit it pretty decent in the fifth. The two balls, the two forehands, that I missed to get broken were after I hit five or six balls pretty firm before that.

MORE LIES. He's still an overweight injured, pathological liar douchebag. No wonder everyone laughs. Please retire, you can't hit any shot and you're satisfied with that crap, Roddick.

Heather1229
01-28-2010, 12:05 AM
ughh Heya, when will you give it up...

Chuck Palumbo
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Btw, Marin Cilic would like to dedicate this his first SF in a Slam and the feat of cracking into the top 10 to his loyal haters VoodeMar, Jaap, and a few more out there

Seems like Jaap's and Voo's hatred of Cilic was warranted.

Deivid you're usually the best judge of player on these boards, but you got it wrong here. Cilic massively overachieved by reaching the top 10. Very technically flawed player with a dodgy mentality.

LawrenceOfTennis
01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
:lol: reborn thread

samanosuke
01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
:worship: bump of the year for now

Deathless Mortal
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Good match.

Fighter Roddick and superb effort from Cilic in 5th set (0:40 down in 1st game)

I had some doubts but now I know, Cilic will be great player

So when did you start hating? :awww:

samanosuke
01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
RIboy what a fail :facepalm: . I lost all respect against you . I stand alone from now

Deathless Mortal
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
RIboy what a fail :facepalm: . I lost all respect against you . I stand alone from now

:haha: :haha: