Your Impressions of Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Your Impressions of Nadal

jmp
09-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I looked through the threads with his name in the title and I didn't see anything about his performance last night.

Was this your first time seeing him for a whole match?

It was for me and I'm still pretty excited that I finally got to see him after hearing about him for so long.

If you haven't had a lot of opportunities to see him, what did you think?

First, I noticed that he suffered from the same affliction I've seen in the less experienced men and women during this tournament. They were all kind of overwhelmed by the occasion, their opponents, and the stage. Then they seemed to find their footing later in the match. I thought Rafael started showing signs of life near the end of the first set which was earlier than I saw in the other "newbies".

Second, I remember seeing him in pictures and a couple of points from last year's USO. He seems to have put on some muscle. It's a great look. But, more importantly for his game, he'll be able to use that strength and height to bring his power game.

Third, I thought his serve was a glaring weakness. He looks like he's physically capable of bringing the heat, but, he hasn't needed it to be successful so far. I think it may be a technical matter that he may be able to fix with some attention. If he doesn't, he'll miss out on some cheap points and make himself a target for players to tee off and break him easily.

Fourth, he has every other shot in the book. He's really agile, he's not afraid of the net, and, once he gets to the net, he can volley. :) I really like his FH and BH DTL - Sweet!

Fifth, his fire, passion, and intensity have not been overrated. I really like the fist pump with the skip/leap. It's a nice signature move.

I really hope he stays healthy and continues to play on all surfaces. Watching him last night was worth the wait.

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 03:31 PM
A baby face attached to 25-year-old legs :eek:

I've never seen him play.

tennischick
09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
i wish it was a day match when his fitness and his ability to grind in the sun would have worked in his favor. those Spaniards can play all day in the sun. the Duck loves a lot of media attention so i'm sure that the night match conditions favored him.

i'm not sure that we got a good impression of Nadal. i've seen him before and i've seen him play much better. his nerves took too long to settle and he took too long to adapt to the spotlights. but what i saw of his game was all good. i hate it when talent loses out to power.

jmp
09-04-2004, 03:52 PM
tennischick, I agree with your assessment. He looks like he could handle your typical six hour clay court match. :) I think the reason I'm so excited is that I don't think I've seen him at his best, yet, and I still liked what I saw.

Tennis Fool, I meant to ask you if you found a way to watch USA Network for this tournament. If I had know earlier, I would have taped it for you. :sad: I know you don't have cable, but, I thought you might have gone to a friend's or something.

star
09-04-2004, 03:52 PM
lol

Nadal has a ton of power. He hits very very hard. The only place he lacks power is in his serve. Nadal is by no means a finess player.

I think that Nadal is still comming back from his injury and so this tournament isn't a guage of his current level. Nevertheless, Nadal is still a baby. He still has to figure out a lot of things. I only hope he doesn't have another serious injury. It seems that early injuries can seriously hamper a young player's career development. I'd hate for that to happen to such a promising young talent.

star
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh, Jmp. I forgot to answer your question.

This was not my first time seeing Nadal play a full match. I saw him at IW in March too. Live tennis is so different from TV tennis that it is a little difficult for me to compare. Also, Nadal wasn't playing a player of Roddick's caliber at IW so of course he wasn't blown away.

I did notice that Nadal likes to be in the public eye and struts about and draws attention. He's a very electric presence on the court. I think that bodes well for him.

RogerRocks
09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
He was a wasp who unfortunetly didn't get to sting Roddick yesterday

Port_Power
09-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Roddick played some stunning tennis yesterday. Nothing much Nadal can do about it.

fisher12190
09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I think of bacon.

Chloe le Bopper
09-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Third, I thought his serve was a glaring weakness. He looks like he's physically capable of bringing the heat, but, he hasn't needed it to be successful so far. I think it may be a technical matter that he may be able to fix with some attention. If he doesn't, he'll miss out on some cheap points and make himself a target for players to tee off and break him easily.

Believe it or not, his serve is much better than it was when I first saw him a year ago ;) He needs to work on his placement and consistency off the serve. His camp knows that and has said as much.

I'm not sure why they didn't try and develop his serve later - maybe because they didn't want to screw up a developing kid's body? If that is the case, it was a good idea.

Unfortunately, TSN didn't show enough of the match for me to say anything much about it. Judging by the scoreline, yes, you'll have to see another match to get a better impression of him, but it sounds like he showed something at least ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Paging tennischick.... ;)

Q. You beat Roger Federer earlier this year. Now you played Andy Roddick. How would you compare the two, Federer and Roddick?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is very, very different players, no. Federer, I think, is my favorite. For me, Federer play better. He's very complete. He have all...

THE INTERPRETER: The big difference is that Federer, for him, he's got all the shots in the book. But against Roddick, he's just a powerful player.

Anybody who cares to read the whole interview will find some blah about how he didn't serve well and that made the difference (in his opinion, of course), and how he can't afford to serve poorly against a player like Roddick.

The end.

Deboogle!.
09-04-2004, 06:56 PM
I was very impressed. he has all the qualities in a player I like. Can't wait to see how he matures and keeps getting better. If he improved his serve, which I'm sure he will, he'd be even more dangerous. Love the passion and fire and intensity, my fave qualities in a player.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 06:58 PM
It' s not like Nadal come down in the last shower, he has a very good temperament usually and has the capabilities to excel on all surfaces.

Chloe le Bopper
09-04-2004, 07:23 PM
has the capabilities to excel on all surfaces.

That's been evident since I first saw him play at 16, but it's taken a while for people to see past the ESP :p

Chloe le Bopper
09-04-2004, 07:23 PM
(not you, of course, but dummie journalists and posters)

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 07:25 PM
(not you, of course, but dummie journalists and posters)

There are too many of those unfortunately, too bad GWH isn't here, he would love this thread and yes ESP means only can play on clay.

lsy
09-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Impressed I would say. Other than the first set when he was still obviously overwhelmed by the whole thing, I actually thought the match was hardly that bad as the scoreline indicated.

This is only the second time I had watched him and he certainly has a great game as everybody had said.

misyou25
09-04-2004, 09:00 PM
wanker

Chloe le Bopper
09-04-2004, 09:55 PM
wanker
True, he does have a lot of Hewitt in him :devil:

Layla
09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
I haven't seen the match, alas, but I saw Nadal in Umag last year and was very impressed by just about everything, including his mental attitude. I like his passion and determination and even his lion's roar (grunt). Not sure if he still does that. I agree with jmp's description.

Nadal's shots are powerful but he's not above a little finesse now and then. ;) I saw him hit some wicked dropshots. His match against Norman was particularly impressive, because it showed that he can think on the court and can choose the right tactics. He would run Norman left and right with a few fierce shots, each accompanied by a warrior-like roar, then he would go stone quiet and hit a deadly drop shot to end the point. Worked like a charm every time. Don't know why that particular image of him stuck in my mind.

But I particularly like his all-court game. He's definitely not afraid to come to the net and his volleys were very impressive indeed, particularly in his doubles matches (he won the doubles title there). Still, I didn't expect him to win against Roddick just yet, but I expect great things from him in the future.

¿esquímaux?
09-05-2004, 04:38 AM
He has meaty arms. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

lizabeth..*
09-05-2004, 04:47 AM

Believe it or not, his serve is much better than it was when I first saw him a year ago He needs to work on his placement and consistency off the serve. His camp knows that and has said as much.

Ohh yes! His serve has improved a lot since the Aus Open this year...I was speaking with a friend of Rafa's a week or so ago as he had been training at this friends tennis club in Mallorca and he said that they were placing great emphasis on his serve and they had been doing so for a number of months now trying to better it. Seems that it is starting to work quite nicely!

martinatreue
09-05-2004, 04:53 AM
His backhand is a HUGE LIABILITY. it is weak and ugly.

Chloe le Bopper
09-05-2004, 05:46 AM
I didn't actually think that his backhand was that bad

WyveN
09-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Anybody who cares to read the whole interview will find some blah about how he didn't serve well and that made the difference (in his opinion, of course),

Thats strange because he made the choice to serve the way he did himself. i.e no pace on the ball and just serve to Roddick's backhand, Nadal ended up with something like 85% first serves in.

I was surprised that he didn't try to serve harder and try to get some cheap points especially when he was up a break in the 3rd.

Chloe le Bopper
09-05-2004, 08:39 AM
He said that his right arm was a bit sore that day. I'm not making my own comments here or making excuses for him (indeed, there is no need, Roddick is obviously a better player at the moment and we knew that going into the match), I already said that I didn't see the match. Just repeating what he said in his interview :p

As for his apparently poor serving strategy... that is obviously something that he needs to work on ;) He comes up with some very stupid strategic decisions at time... it's a matter of maturity, I think.

Lady
09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I didn't see him against Andy, but I saw him playing before, and he's brilliant!
I remember last yeat at US Open again Younes he prefered to come to the net a lot, and he was great here. Younes could hardly pass him there.
And he's great from the baseline too.
A lot of great things for him to come.

He's definitely my favourite player of the future! :D

Patrick
09-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Nadal Parera looks like a girl. :rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 09:35 PM
tennischick, I agree with your assessment. He looks like he could handle your typical six hour clay court match. :) I think the reason I'm so excited is that I don't think I've seen him at his best, yet, and I still liked what I saw.

Tennis Fool, I meant to ask you if you found a way to watch USA Network for this tournament. If I had know earlier, I would have taped it for you. :sad: I know you don't have cable, but, I thought you might have gone to a friend's or something.

Thanks, JMP. However, if I had cable I would never pry myself from the TV :scared:

Basic tv provides with with enough coverage, although not always the matchups I want to see.

I will be disappointed that I won't be following the whole Venus/Lindsay match since it will go off the air at 6pm. :(

Aerien
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Impressed ever since I saw him beat his mentor Carlos Moya.
I taped his match against Federer and Roddick so I guess I've seen him during his good and bad days.
He's gonna be a champion eventually, he just needs the experience of being in the big matches and tight situations.

Reminds me a little of Federer when he beat Sampras in Wimbledon sometimes.......