What happened to the great Del Potro who was supposed to be such a big threat [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What happened to the great Del Potro who was supposed to be such a big threat

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
After all this gaga of Del Potro being the next big thing or the next big deal and hes taking over the tennis world..:rolleyes: If anything the USO was a fluke.

Del Potro is another Krajicek. Hes another another Safin or another Nalbandian. He can give you great tennis and be unstoppable once in a blue moon. The rest fo the time he wont win anything. Why do people have to give all this credit to players who clearly arent even at the stage where they deserve it?

Fiberlight1
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
He's 21 years old......

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I present for your delectation the grand-slam record of one P. Sampras, the year after he won the U.S. Open for the first time:
1991:
AO - did not play.
FO - lost 2nd round.
W - lost 2nd round.
USO - QF.

Speed of Light
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
The fluke wins ended, its all downhill from here for the bamboo pole. I have heard that he will be giving fat dave company in retirement.

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
I present for your delectation the grand-slam record of one P. Sampras, the year after he won the U.S. Open for the first time:
1991:
AO - did not play.
FO - lost 2nd round.
W - lost 2nd round.
USO - QF.

Terrible comparison. And we have Murray with 0 slams... Djokovic who hasnt won anything slam wise in 2 years. Roddick 7 YEARS!!! Del Potro is already at this point in time on a better stage in his career and closer to his best days at 21 than Sampras was. Del Potro is already an injury case at 21. Imagine what we will be at 23-27. So terrible comparison. And hes a larger player. Bigger players dont have great multi slam careers. Del Potro will be no exception

Vida
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
he is injury prone but not as much as was though he'd be. people thought he was a waste three years ago when he had a back problem if I'm not mistaken. give him some time...

besides, fed and rafa cant win slams for all eternity so he is among the guys next in line. to early to call him fluke.

Chair Umpire
01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't think he's another Krajicek... but do i think he was been overhyped? YES.

Chiakifug
01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
I was gonna reply seriously then I read the main part of your incredibly retarded post.

born_on_clay
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
He is just in worse form than he was a couple months ago
Still I expect him to be a serious contender for rankings top spots

TennisOnWood
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
He is just in worse form than he was a couple months ago
Still I expect him to be a serious contender for rankings top spots

He hasn't done anything after US Open... he reached Masters final with rivals that was also very tired

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't think he's another Krajicek... but do i think he was been overhyped? YES.

Krajicek was a player with great talent. He was very big and very talented for his size and had the ability to beat anyone who stepped in his way if he caught fire. In alot of ways like Del Potro yet he spent most of his career underachieving due to constant injuries etc.

MalwareDie
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Del Mugro's draw: Mónachoke, Mugzer, Köllerror, Muggero, Mugic, Mugboar, Fedmug

Self-explanatory.

KolyaLegend
01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Fluke slam, that's all

River
01-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I want the three minutes of my life reading this dumbass op back.

He's freakin 21, for god's sake. Underachieving? Dear god.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Terrible comparison. And we have Murray with 0 slams... Djokovic who hasnt won anything slam wise in 2 years. Roddick 7 YEARS!!! Del Potro is already at this point in time on a better stage in his career and closer to his best days at 21 than Sampras was. Del Potro is already an injury case at 21. Imagine what we will be at 23-27. So terrible comparison. And hes a larger player. Bigger players dont have great multi slam careers. Del Potro will be no exception

No, excellent comparison. If this forum had been around in 1991, I'm sure some character calling himself SetBorg or something would have been mouthing off about this Sampras clown who was supposed to be such a big threat, missing the Australian Open, already injured at 19, losing early in his next 2 slams, winning only Mickey Mouse tournaments, proclaiming his relief at losing his U.S. Open title, etc. Del Potro isn't going to have a Sampras-level career, but writing him off as a major force after 1 mediocre slam is ridiculous.

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
What happened? Injuries. The great Del Potro is still the great Del Potro, and he has plenty of time to follow up the US Open win. Absolutely no reason to write him off yet.

dombrfc
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
No, excellent comparison. If this forum had been around in 1991, I'm sure some character calling himself SetBorg or something would have been mouthing off about this Sampras clown who was supposed to be such a big threat, missing the Australian Open, already injured at 19, losing early in his next 2 slams, winning only Mickey Mouse tournaments, proclaiming his relief at losing his U.S. Open title, etc. Del Potro isn't going to have a Sampras-level career, but writing him off as a major force after 1 mediocre slam is ridiculous.

You said it :)

Awful topic.

Everko
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM

So Del Potro is comparable to Sampras is he? How many slams you say? 15?

elessar
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Before AO:
Another guy with a ton of talent who could put both Roger and Rafa in their place and there would be nothing they could do about it. HE has the talent to be a dominant player. [...] he could dominate on clay and hardcourts and maybe eventually grass. When he was clicking at the USO. He was making Roger and Nadal look secondary.

He has the talent to actually crush the competition. (showed this at the USO.. Taking out the two top players in the world and embarrassing Nadal off the court). At least as far as Hardcourt is concerned especially the USO. He even has great ability on clay to rack up some French Open titles and master titles.

After AO:
After all this gaga of Del Potro being the next big thing or the next big deal and hes taking over the tennis world..:rolleyes: If anything the USO was a fluke.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 05:45 PM

I think you must have missed the bit where I said, "Del Potro isn't going to have a Sampras-level career."

KolyaLegend
01-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Are you blind? He just said he won't have a Sampras-level career. Everybody knows you can't compare Del Mugtro to a legend like Sampras

Macbrother
01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
He is a big threat. That doesn't mean he's the next GOAT. "Injured" or no, he happened to run into a damn good player in Cilic who played a great match with massive game and who was just the better player. Believe it or not, it happens sometimes.

Arkulari
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
who has won two slams back to back after the first one? :scratch:

Guy Haines
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Ridiculous thread.

He'll be back.

JMDP is at his best when he can build up a head of steam going into a major. He can't do that at the Australian or Wimbledon. But if he doesn't screw up his wrist he's going to be a top 3 title contender at Roland Garros.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
who has won two slams back to back after the first one? :scratch:

Not sure anybody has in the Open Era. Connors was close: won Australian Open in 1974 for his 1st slam, didn't play Roland Garros (was barred), then won Wimbledon & the U.S. Open.

CescAndyKimi
01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I want the three minutes of my life reading this dumbass op back.

He's freakin 21, for god's sake. Underachieving? Dear god.

It took you 3 minutes to read the OP? Damn you must be mentally challenged. :eek:

tennishero
01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
clown thread

TennisOnWood
01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Not sure anybody has in the Open Era. Connors was close: won Australian Open in 1974 for his 1st slam, didn't play Roland Garros (was barred), then won Wimbledon & the U.S. Open.

I checked it just in case ''injured'' Delpo goes all the way... no one's done that

Commander Data
01-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Del Potro is another Krajicek. Hes another another Safin or another Nalbandian. He can give you great tennis and be unstoppable once in a blue moon. The rest fo the time he wont win anything. Why do people have to give all this credit to players who clearly arent even at the stage where they deserve it?

So Sampras did typically back a GS win up by winning the next GS as well, right?
No? Oh wait, maybe he was also fluke?

The guy is 21, he can be a treat without winning everything in sight.

Jōris
01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
The guy played with a broken wrist.

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
What happened to the great Del Potro who was supposed to be such a big threat

He lost to Marin Cilic of Croatia in the fourth round.

Hope this helps.

Noleta
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
They all say the first year after your first GS is very hard,plus him getting having an ijury didn't help him,not to mention the amount of time he spends on court before his 4th round loss to Marin.

Juan after he won the USopen:He's the future number one etc

Juan losing in the 4th round:He's crap,fluke eyc..

:haha:

oranges
01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
NID that SetSampras would create this thread. After all, he hasn't won back to back slams, why wait any longer with the questioning.

Arkulari
01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

yep and Roger was also close after Wimbledon 03, lost the US Open but won the AO the next year

no one has done it, so I rest my case ;)

Nidhogg
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

This thread makes me laugh for so many reasons.

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
They all say the first year after your first GS is very hard,plus him getting having an ijury didn't help him,not to mention the amount of time he spends on court before his 4th round loss to Marin.

Juan after he won the USopen:He's the future number one etc

Juan losing in the 4th round:He's crap,fluke eyc..

Boy I'll say.. 7 years later and Roddick still cant manage to grab another one. Lets face it here guys:) You guys are too quick to label someone the next coming yet they consistently fail when it matters most. These young guys Djoker, Murray, Del Potro have proved one thing.. Being handed too many compliments and yet they consistently fail when its all on the line. It goes right back to what Ive said all along and has been echoed by Sampras and others. There are alot of really good players but how many great winners are there today? How many true champions? Two?

People are too quick to crown the next coming up of champions

Johnny Groove
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Not sure why this board jumps on and off bandwagons so quickly. How quickly do things change in tennis?

Give the kid some time. The poster who mentioned Sampras' 1991 year is right.

Arkulari
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Boy I'll say.. 7 years later and Roddick still cant manage to grab another one. Lets face it here guys:) You guys are too quick to label someone the next coming yet they consistently fail when it matters most. These young guys Djoker, Murray, Del Potro have proved one thing.. Being handed too many compliments and yet they consistently fail when its all on the line. It goes right back to what Ive said all along and has been echoed by Sampras and others. There are alot of really good players but how many great winners are there today? How many true champions? Two?

you jumped into his bandwagon yourself, elessar even quoted you, so stop accusing everyone of the same thing you're doing yourself

Matt01
01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Mug thread.

Noleta
01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
It goes right back to what Ive said all along and has been echoed by Sampras and others.

Who cares?:shrug::p

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
You cant compare Sampras with Del Potro simply because you do not know for sure if Del Potro will be like Fed and Sampras career wise. I suspect he wont. So when Del Potro hits 22 years old he is going to begin dominating like Fed and Sampras did even being the injury case he is? You have to stay somewhat healthy to consistently win slams.

SetSampras
01-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Who cares?:shrug::p

I care.. You should too.. Dont you want to have champions to get behind other than what we have been dealt for the last 5 years? Dont you want your guy to win and create a legacy? I suspect u are fan of Djoker. If you were true fan you would want this guy to have a handful of slams already

Mechlan
01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
You cant compare Sampras with Del Potro simply because you do not know for sure if Del Potro will be like Fed and Sampras career wise. I suspect he wont. So when Del Potro hits 22 years old he is going to begin dominating like Fed and Sampras did even being the injury case he is? You have to stay somewhat healthy to consistently win slams.

Maybe you thought Del Potro would be the next Sampras. Most of us thought he was a talented youngster who had an excellent year by winning a slam and getting to his first WTF finals and has a bright future in front of him. That hasn't changed. You moan about the bandwagoning, but you're the one writing him off after one loss.

Noleta
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I care.. You should too.. Dont you want to have champions to get behind other than what we have been dealt for the last 5 years? Dont you want your guy to win and create a legacy? I suspect u are fan of Djoker. If you were true fan you would want this guy to have a handful of slams already

Of course i do,i'll lie if i said no.You sound to me like you only get behind champions,you won't waste your breath if pistol Pete didn't had such an amzing career,or Fed not being what he is today:shrug:

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM

No, we don't know, just as nobody knew how much Sampras would achieve in 1991. But you are writing Del Potro off as a fluke, as though you DID know the future.

mariyella80
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
TENDINITIS on the ARM:crying2: ....BUT CREDIT to Cilic for fighting to the end....on another note FED & RAFA should be happy to see him OUT haha:p

kisen
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Del Potro had a really hard draw this time.

NadalSharapova
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Fluke slam, that's all

thats a fuck load than what the mug davydenko will ever achieve in his career.

scarecrows
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
the OP is a huge moron but this is not new

shame he is a fan of the great Pete

Sjengster
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Quite apart from the amusing hypocrisy of his comments, it perhaps shouldn't come as a surprise to SetSampras when he essentially tries to dismiss the current era of tennis in almost every post and people who are fans of the current era of tennis, and became fans because of the current players, react negatively to him. If I turn up to a tennis forum in ten years' time and start whining about how things were so much better back in Federer's day I'll expect to be given pretty short shrift by the posters there.

Corey Feldman
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
he never looked right in this tournament yet at times he has slapped his opponents around with ease

the rest of the draw better be thankful he wasnt 100%

but he will be again

tennizen
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I think Delpo is very much here to stay. Apart from the solid game and the scary power shots, he is incredibly and annoyingly tenacious.

^^ I agree that the rest of the draw should be thankful for this upset:lol:

KolyaLegend
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
thats a fuck load than what the mug davydenko will ever achieve in his career.

Fuck yeah, let's all be gloryhunters and support the players who win lots of slams:worship:

LaFuria
01-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Garbage thread.

Leo
01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
He's clearly injured right now. Has played terribly for the most part since Flushing, but he'll be back. He should rest up.

Leo
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
he never looked right in this tournament yet at times he has slapped his opponents around with ease

the rest of the draw better be thankful he wasnt 100%

but he will be again

I think Delpo is very much here to stay. Apart from the solid game and the scary power shots, he is incredibly and annoyingly tenacious.

^^ I agree that the rest of the draw should be thankful for this upset:lol:

This and this.

habibko
01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Del Potro has the potential to be a future #1 and he has shown and given us enough reasons to think that, no one - or at least I didn't, can't say for sure with the amount of bullshit posted in GM - said he was going to win every single Slam he enters from the moment he won USO, and no one in history won his first 2 GS consecutively as far as I know.

Del Potro doesn't have to be the next Federer or Sampras to be labelled a great champion or a big threat, he is already that, this thread is such a pathetic joke seeing your glorifying posts about him just before the AO started :cuckoo:

Vida
01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
masochistic thread.

DwyaneWade
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
This and this.

Del Potro get knocked out was a huge blessing for Nadal, Murray, and Roddick. Although Cilic could be just as dangerous, Del Potro just always seems to hit the big serves and FHs when they count. I would be stunned if he does not win at least 2-3 more slams barring injury.

delpiero7
01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Imagine the thread the OP would have started if Potty had lost to Blake in 5 :eek:

Infact thinking about it, Del Potro probably would have deserved the abuse should that have happened.

The only way Del Potro will ever even be remotely remembered in tennis history is if he wins the next 24 slams. Anything less and he's just another run of the mill MUG who should have been drowned at birth.

Sean
01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
SetSampras what are you smoking? Del Potro most dangerous player in the world everyone shits their pants at thought of playing Potro. The guy is US open champion at 21 and will win more than that believe me. So what he had a mug tournament he has been suffering with injury, he played crap at Wimbledon and then went on to win US open.

The Magician
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Nothing worse than an idiotic Sampras fan. At least Fedtards and Nadaltards stay current.

Everko
01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm glad Del Potro lost because that's the only player I see that is capable of maybe beating a healthy Rafa. Cilic will get trampeled by Nadal.

NYCtennisfan
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Before AO:

After AO:

:lol:

It's interesting to see how many people simply don't understand how difficult it is to win all the time or to get to multiple slam finals in a row. Losing one match to Cilic (a player who is finally realizing his potential and growing stronger by the day) doesn't mean that Del Potro is done or was a fluke. Del Potro will be back and will be difficult to take at many more slams to come.

nanoman
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Guys, this isn't about Del Potro. Del Potro bombing, well I guess, somehow leads to another proof that Sampras is greater than Federer. That's what SetSampras once again is trying to convince us.

TennisOnWood
01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm glad Del Potro lost because that's the only player I see that is capable of maybe beating a healthy Rafa. Cilic will get trampeled by Nadal.

If he can beat Murray,1/2 match will not be the problem for Rafa

sammy01
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
lmao at people writting him off at 21, when all the other top players are older than him.

gulzhan
01-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Same what happened to Murray at USO09 :shrug: lost to Cilic. Did you write off Murray because of that too?

rubbERR
01-25-2010, 01:46 AM
just lost a tennismatch, didnt play well enough

Ibracadabra
01-25-2010, 01:52 AM
He can't play his best every tournament, nobody can.

paseo
01-25-2010, 01:59 AM

:D

Guys, this isn't about Del Potro. Del Potro bombing, well I guess, somehow leads to another proof that Sampras is greater than Federer. That's what SetSampras once again is trying to convince us.

This.

rubbERR
01-25-2010, 02:19 AM
potro needs to improve his fitness otherwise doesnt take too long when even his head is taped and then he is officially mr.classman.

abraxas21
01-25-2010, 02:43 AM

this will be a great thread to bump in a year or two and you'll be ridiculed... Like so many of your previous comments already have.

Like I've said many times, I don't like Pony boy but it only takes a slight degree of objectivity to know that the guy has some serious tanlent and a great winning mentality to couple it. That lad is only 21 and will probably get to the very top and more GS are on the way.

That being said, it was expected to see Pony boy losing today. The guy was tired and Cilic is actually a great player. I will admit that I thought Cilic was going to win in 4 sets, though.

vamosinator
01-25-2010, 02:45 AM
To give you an idea of how much of a threat Del Potro was, he is the only player I ever considered capable of beating Nadal at this Australian Open :yeah:

abraxas21
01-25-2010, 02:47 AM
He is a big threat. That doesn't mean he's the next GOAT. "Injured" or no, he happened to run into a damn good player in Cilic who played a great match with massive game and who was just the better player. Believe it or not, it happens sometimes.

Yeah. I don't think Pony is going to be as great as Federer by a long shot. He probably won't even be as great as Nadull but he is going to dominate for a while and be a major force for quite a few years. That's what I expect, at least.

Corey Feldman
01-25-2010, 02:48 AM
To give you an idea of how much of a threat Del Potro was, he is the only player I ever considered capable of beating Nadal at this Australian Open :yeah:means nothing to me

abraxas21
01-25-2010, 02:49 AM
To give you an idea of how much of a threat Del Potro was, he is the only player I ever considered capable of beating Nadal at this Australian Open :yeah:

and we all know how accurate your predictions are...

vamosinator
01-25-2010, 02:57 AM
and we all know how accurate your predictions are...

Barring tendinitis and family divorce, always accurate :yeah:

freeandlonely
01-25-2010, 04:15 AM
would like to just wait and see what(how/why/when/where) happen next, which is fun, no?
plus he is far from being old

oranges
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Barring tendinitis and family divorce, always accurate :yeah:

So he'll win against Murray and go on to win AO after that? Just trying to get rid of your for a few months again.

vamosinator
01-25-2010, 08:21 AM
So he'll win against Murray and go on to win AO after that? Just trying to get rid of your for a few months again.

Yes he's winning the Calendar Year Grand Slam :yeah:

oranges
01-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes he's winning the Calendar Year Grand Slam :yeah:

This year, yippee, we might get rid of you for longer than

Junex
01-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Federer, after winning Wimbledon in 03 reach 1 final in three events before US Open and lost guess what, in the round of 16 in USO to Nalbandian.....

Much like Delpo actually... and by that time no one is really expecting Federer could win 10 let alone 15 GS titles.

So you can never really tell... Its not Delpo's fault that you are over hyping him, So don't blame the guy if he made you look like a turd!

wackykid
01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
it's too early to tell how will JMDP do...

similarly it was way too early to proclaim JMDP the next GOAT when he won USOpen... :rolleyes:

so to all those nostradamus wannabes... stop making fool of yourself by making HUGE predictions before something has yet occurred... :rolleyes:

regards,
wacky