WWW AO QF: Andy Roddick [7] vs Marin Cilic [14] [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW AO QF: Andy Roddick [7] vs Marin Cilic [14]

DartMarcus
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Who will clinch this? Both must be tired after epic R4 battles.

Calidreth
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Looking forward to this one. Roddick in 4.

Certinfy
01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Andy in 4.

dr.Damir
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Cilic knows how to return Roddick's serves
Marin in 4

MrChopin
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Hopefully Cilic in a demoralizing way... 7-6, 7-6, 6-1?

shaggy
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
if marin is not tired, he will win in 4.

FedFan
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Who will clinch this? Both must be tired after epic R4 battles.

Roddick/Gonzalez match was far from an epic, they only played a bit more than 3 hours. ;)

Andy will be fresh the question is, if Marin can recover?

DartMarcus
01-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Roddick in 5 :rocker:

serveandvolley80
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Lol at people giving Roddick a chance.

Speed of Light
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
The only thing that is certain is
The winner of this match will be straight setted by Nadal in the semi.

muchu
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
why do most people think Andy has bigger chance to win this?

CR3WLFC
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Cilic will get this done NO DOUBT.

Marin in 4

brithater
01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Anyone who thinks Andy will win this has not been watching Cilic's matches this tounament. Cilic will be a multiple slam winner in the next five years. He is a throwback to the old days when Men acted like Men on court and the women acted like Andy Roddick. Cilic in 4. Maybe three if he serves like he did today. Delpotro was his biggest test this tournament unless he meets Davydenko in the final.

brithater
01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
The only thing that is certain is
The winner of this match will be straight setted by Nadal in the semi.

Nadal will not straight set Cilic. This I promise.

Shirogane
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Cilic hopefully.

Calidreth
01-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Cilic is too inconsistent to beat Roddick. Only reason he got by Del Potro is because Del was injured.

oranges
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Marin in 4

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I have to go for Roddick realistically, because of the serve and the fact he is more solid from the baseline, and I don't think Cilic can break Andy's game. I just don't see that happening. Andy in 3 or 4.

tennizen
01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Hopefully Cilic but I think he may not be ready for two huge matches in a row yet.

brithater
01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I have to go for Roddick realistically, because of the serve and the fact he is more solid from the baseline, and I don't think Cilic can break Andy's game. I just don't see that happening. Andy in 3 or 4.

Gonzo broke him today

Vida
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
no upset here.

Yves.
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Andy in four sets, Gonzo just played great. Cilic made too many unforced errors ;)

River
01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Andy in four. It was a great match with Gonzo; a hell of a lot better than Cilic's.

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Gonzo broke him todayBroke his entire game? Not just the serve, but his will and game? No, which is why Andy won, and why I expect him to beat Cilic. Cilic wont break Andy's game apart.

brithater
Andy in four sets, Gonzo just played great. Cilic made too many unforced errors ;)

Different opponents. Roddicks sitters will be candy for Cilic.

oranges
Such low confidence in Cilic's return, gotta come up with some footage from Canada. Roddick was a better option for him than Gonzo IMO

River
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
What's the H2H for Andy and Mari?

Aenea
01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Anyone who thinks Andy will win this has not been watching Cilic's matches this tounament. Cilic will be a multiple slam winner in the next five years. He is a throwback to the old days when Men acted like Men on court and the women acted like Andy Roddick. Cilic in 4. Maybe three if he serves like he did today. Delpotro was his biggest test this tournament unless he meets Davydenko in the final.

Maybe if he stays injury-free that long. His serving motion is extremely bad for the back and the spine. This motion puts a lot of pressure on the back and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts suffering of a bad back.

I think for this match Roddick will win due to his consistency and patience he's showing lately in his matches.

Azurebi
01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Andy in 4 because I think Cilic will choke.

oranges
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
What's the H2H for Andy and Mari?

1:1. Duck won in Queens IIRC, Marin Roger's Cup

brithater
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Broke his entire game? Not just the serve, but his will and game? No, which is why Andy won, and why I expect him to beat Cilic. Cilic wont break Andy's game apart.

Watch the match. Gonzo was in his kitchen big time. All Roddick could do was serve. Roddick could not convert. Looked like Andy was goona have an anurism until Molina decided to award Andy with the fourth set. Andy was staying about 10 feet behind the baseline. Cilic is going to run him around on a string. Cilic is serveing like a monster, hitting clean with depth, and even coming in quite a bit. Andy is going home.

Deivid23
01-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Cilic in 4 sets I´d say

River
01-24-2010, 03:20 PM
1:1. Duck won in Queens IIRC, Marin Roger's Cup

Thanks

Watch the match. Gonzo was in his kitchen big time. All Roddick could do was serve. Roddick could not convert. Looked like Andy was goona have an anurism until Molina decided to award Andy with the fourth set. Andy was staying about 10 feet behind the baseline. Cilic is going to run him around on a string. Cilic is serveing like a monster, hitting clean with depth, and even coming in quite a bit. Andy is going home.

Eh.. Everyone always outhits Andy. But Andy's patience always seems to get the better of people not in the top 5.

shaggy
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Andy in 4 because I think Cilic will choke.

no reason for choke. only questioned his recovery. who is afraid of roddick anyway?

brithater
01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe if he stays injury-free that long. His serving motion is extremely bad for the back and the spine. This motion puts a lot of pressure on the back and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts suffering of a bad back.

I think for this match Roddick will win due to his consistency and patience he's showing lately in his matches.

I was thinking the same thing watching him. Hard to tell. He works hard so he might be able to avoid injury. He is moveing extremely well and is very fit. He looked the same in the fifth set as he did in the first.

River
no reason for choke. only questioned his recovery. who is afraid of roddick anyway?

Nobody, and that's what pisses people off when Roddick wins xD To each their own I guess

Filo V.
Watch the match. Gonzo was in his kitchen big time. All Roddick could do was serve. Roddick could not convert. Looked like Andy was goona have an anurism until Molina decided to award Andy with the fourth set. Andy was staying about 10 feet behind the baseline. Cilic is going to run him around on a string. Cilic is serveing like a monster, hitting clean with depth, and even coming in quite a bit. Andy is going home.Gonzo was in his kitchen? Roddick was the one with opportunities the ENTIRE match outside of about 3 or so bursts where Gonzalez played out of his mind. Roddick controlled most of the match. And the umpire ruled correctly, Gonzalez gave up on the point. To blame an umpire for the reason your player essentially tanked in the 5th set is pretty disgraceful and reeks of desperation, trying to justify why a player you like lost to a player you dislike.

Cilic is going to make errors, just like he did against Del Potro, and just like Gonzalez did. Cilic will not be solid enough nor be able to hit through Roddick. Also if Cilic's first serve is in the 55% range like it was against Del Potro, he will lose. Cilic will have to play the match of his career.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
On Cilic's racquet I think.

Dyraise
01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Will be a tight match. I say Andy in 4

Aenea
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing watching him. Hard to tell. He works hard so he might be able to avoid injury. He is moveing extremely well and is very fit. He looked the same in the fifth set as he did in the first.

I'm not questioning his fitness overall. He played some long and exhausting matches so far and he was able to win them. I only speak about serving motion. It will start giving him problems with the back as time passes and number of long matches increases.

scoobs
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Roddick in 4. I think Cilic runs out of gas here.

brithater
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not questioning his fitness overall. He played some long and exhausting matches so far and he was able to win them. I only speak about serving motion. It will start giving him problems with the back as time passes and number of long matches increases.

Right but strength, conditioning, flexibility he might be alright. Edberg had a similar arch with his back and he avoided injury for the most part. If he didnt use a kick serve toss on the first serve it would help.

brithater
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Gonzo was in his kitchen? Roddick was the one with opportunities the ENTIRE match outside of about 3 or so bursts where Gonzalez played out of his mind. Roddick controlled most of the match. And the umpire ruled correctly, Gonzalez gave up on the point. To blame an umpire for the reason your player essentially tanked in the 5th set is pretty disgraceful and reeks of desperation, trying to justify why a player you like lost to a player you dislike.

Cilic is going to make errors, just like he did against Del Potro, and just like Gonzalez did. Cilic will not be solid enough nor be able to hit through Roddick. Also if Cilic's first serve is in the 55% range like it was against Del Potro, he will lose. Cilic will have to play the match of his career.

Wrong. I like Roddick. He always competes hard and is pretty dedicated. He just pisses me off sometimes. This was one of those times. That does not cloud my judgment that this is Cilics run and he will beat Andy. If you think Andy was mentally tough in that second and third your nuts. Gonzo had him reeling. Thank god Andy can serve when he is off because he would be on his way home.

oranges
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Why would he have to play a match of his career? The last time they played, he was really just a kid, utterly dominated the match, managed to really choke in the second and gift not only the break, but also the next serve and with it the set and still came back and won in the end. He's not just an error machine, there's an upside to his game as well, quite a few actually.

RIboy
01-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Cilic is better player.

Cilic in 3. :)

Andi-M
01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Roddick in 5 again.

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Why would he have to play a match of his career? The last time they played, he was really just a kid, utterly dominated the match, managed to really choke in the second and gift not only the break, but also the next serve and with it the set and still came back and won in the end. He's not just an error machine, there's an upside to his game as well, quite a few actually.Roddick has also improved dramatically since their meeting in Canada. They are both better players. But that is neither here nor there. That match was played on a different surface in a different atmosphere. This is a major. This may be the biggest match in Cilic's career. Experience will count for a lot in this match. Cilic isn't an error machine and is a damn good player, but if he made over 70 errors against Del Potro, he likely will make a major amount against Roddick, because Roddick is great defensively and is so solid. What was done in the past is the past. This is the here and the now. Yeah, Cilic would have to play the match of his career, because he will have to play 3 sets of hard hitting and serving tennis with no let off. And then you add the fitness factor. Cilic will have to win in about 3 or 4 sets, if it goes to 5, Roddick likely will win.

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Wrong. I like Roddick. He always competes hard and is pretty dedicated. He just pisses me off sometimes. This was one of those times. That does not cloud my judgment that this is Cilics run and he will beat Andy. If you think Andy was mentally tough in that second and third your nuts. Gonzo had him reeling. Thank god Andy can serve when he is off because he would be on his way home.You are on the Cilic bandwagon? I don't see it in this tournament. Maybe Tsonga or Davydenko, but Cilic isn't going to beat Roddick. Andy was a little concerned in the second and third sets because Gonzalez was able to constantly come up with the good when he needed to, but overall, Andy was the one with the opportunities. He simply lost the points to someone playing OVER THEIR HEAD. The second Gonzalez' level went down slightly and he got tired, match was over. And Andy did play a part in that, by staying solid and keeping the ball deep and in play, and defending well. There is no reason to believe the same thing wont happen with Cilic that happened to Gonzalez, especially since Cilic just played an almost 5 hour match, and made 70+ errors. It isn't going to happen, unless Cilic plays the match of his career.

oranges
01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Roddick has also improved dramatically since their meeting in Canada. They are both better players. But that is neither here nor there. That match was played on a different surface in a different atmosphere. This is a major. This may be the biggest match in Cilic's career. Experience will count for a lot in this match. Cilic isn't an error machine and is a damn good player, but if he made over 70 errors against Del Potro, he likely will make a major amount against Roddick, because Roddick is great defensively and is so solid. What was done in the past is the past. This is the here and the now. Yeah, Cilic would have to play the match of his career, because he will have to play 3 sets of hard hitting and serving tennis with no let off. And then you add the fitness factor. Cilic will have to win in about 3 or 4 sets, if it goes to 5, Roddick likely will win.

But Marin hasn't improved :lol: There's a reason why Roddick was one of his first top 10 wins, the matchup actually suits him.

Nice myth you're building here. You'd think he's playing a combination of Sampras and Federer by what you think is needed. If he's solid, he'll dig up the win, let alone if he actually catches fire, which is a distinct possibility given that Roddick does not have the versatility of say Haas or Federer to throw him off then.

BTW, did it ever occur to you that del Potro hits harder than Roddick and it's actually a significantly more difficult rally to sustain and win in the end?

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 04:20 PM
But Marin hasn't improved :lol: There's a reason why Roddick was one of his first top 10 wins, the matchup actually suits him.

Nice myth you're building here. You'd think he's playing a combination of Sampras and Federer by what you think is needed. If he's solid, he'll dig up the win, let alone if he actually catches fire, which is a distinct possibility given that Roddick does not have the versatility of say Haas or Federer to throw him off then.

BTW, did it ever occur to you that del Potro hits harder than Roddick and it's actually a significantly more difficult rally to sustain and win in the end?I said BOTH are improved players. Marin has improved dramatically, but Andy has improved a lot as well. As far as the match-up suiting him, they have a 1-1 H2H, so I think that says enough. I do think Cilic can return Andy's serve, but in the rallies, will he be consistent enough? Can he serve well enough to prevent Roddick from attacking his second serve? Those are questions up for debate. And it isn't that Roddick is Federer or Sampras, it IS the fact he is a great player, doesn't miss much, has a huge serve, has gotten better at the net, and rarely ever beats himself or loses to players ranked below him, unless they play AT THE TOP OF THEIR GAME for extended periods of time. And as far as versatility, Roddick can play defensive, offensive, counter punch, come to net, slice or hit over the backhand equally, so Roddick has weapons at his disposal. Cilic's game plan is basically simple, serve big and hit big. Can he do that consistently over 5 sets and not break down physically and game wise? I don't think so against Roddick.

P.S. Of course the pace of shot does make a different when taking into account the error count against Del Potro. However, Roddick's MOVEMENT and solidness needs to be taken into account in this match. Roddick has shown he can squeeze players into making mistakes. Cilic will have to be very focused 100% of the time, or Andy will pounce. You are really taking for granted how good Roddick is. This wont be a walk in the park for Cilic. Most signs point in the favor of the American.

COA
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Roddick in 4, no doubt for reaching his 5 semi.

roberthenman
01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Cilic in 5

Team_Roddick
01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
You are on the Cilic bandwagon? I don't see it in this tournament. Maybe Tsonga or Davydenko, but Cilic isn't going to beat Roddick. Andy was a little concerned in the second and third sets because Gonzalez was able to constantly come up with the good when he needed to, but overall, Andy was the one with the opportunities. He simply lost the points to someone playing OVER THEIR HEAD. The second Gonzalez' level went down slightly and he got tired, match was over. And Andy did play a part in that, by staying solid and keeping the ball deep and in play, and defending well. There is no reason to believe the same thing wont happen with Cilic that happened to Gonzalez, especially since Cilic just played an almost 5 hour match, and made 70+ errors. It isn't going to happen, unless Cilic plays the match of his career.

Great to read something reasonable instead of "Roddick got lucky".:worship:

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Great to read something reasonable instead of "Roddick got lucky".:worship:
:) Thank you. I try to be reasonable, but most importantly, I try to be LOGICAL. I've noticed many people on this forum can't be logical without letting clear biases get in the way. It's actually really annoying. I mean, the writing is on the wall for me. I see absolutely no way Roddick will lose to Cilic, unless Cilic plays at an unbelievable level. And Roddick makes it seem like he's "lucky", when the truth is he is just a solid professional. He is smart and solid, and even when he may be getting out hit from the baseline, he finds ways to win. That makes him a winner.

henke007
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Roddick in 3 easilly Cilic 70 UE in the Delpo match won't cut it!!

Roddick has the best draw to the Semis!!

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM

BTW, did it ever occur to you that del Potro hits harder than Roddick and it's actually a significantly more difficult rally to sustain and win in the end?Do you have selective memory? I'm not saying it has any bearing on their upcoming match or that Cilic wouldn't have won that match anyway, but Andy played horrendously in that match against Cilic, I remember reeling at every aspect of his game.

:) Thank you. I try to be reasonable, but most importantly, I try to be LOGICAL. I've noticed many people on this forum can't be logical without letting clear biases get in the way. It's actually really annoying. I mean, the writing is on the wall for me. I see absolutely no way Roddick will lose to Cilic, unless Cilic plays at an unbelievable level. And Roddick makes it seem like he's "lucky", when the truth is he is just a solid professional. He is smart and solid, and even when he may be getting out hit from the baseline, he finds ways to win. That makes him a winner.There's no room for logic in General Messages, haven't you learned that yet? :hug:

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Do you have selective memory? I'm not saying it has any bearing on their upcoming match or that Cilic wouldn't have won that match anyway, but Andy played horrendously in that match against Cilic, I remember reeling at every aspect of his game.

There's no room for logic in General Messages, haven't you learned that yet? :hug:I have now ;):p

Honestly though, the immaturity and stupidity of some posters on GM really really bugs me.

dylan24
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
roddick in straight sets. he'll have brooklyn wear a swimsuit to the match. marin will be too distracted.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I have now ;):p

Honestly though, the immaturity and stupidity of some posters on GM really really bugs me.:lol: I hear ya, that's why I rarely come to GM anymore ;)

roddick in straight sets. he'll have brooklyn wear a swimsuit to the match. marin will be too distracted.Brooklyn isn't in Australia, but funny :p

dombrfc
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Ummm ummm. Roddick in 4.
But i wouldn't like to call this one really.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Roddick can play defensive, offensive, counter punch, come to net, slice or hit over the backhand equally, so Roddick has weapons at his disposal.

Roddick is often under-rated, but how many of these things is he actually good at? Good counter-puncher with a great serve, stamina, and will to win pretty much sums him up.

oranges
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Do you have selective memory? I'm not saying it has any bearing on their upcoming match or that Cilic wouldn't have won that match anyway, but Andy played horrendously in that match against Cilic, I remember reeling at every aspect of his game.

Well, look at it that way then if you want, his not a stalwart fighter who grinds his way through no matter what then, just spare me the BS that he needs to play the match of his life to have a chance to win. His played plenty of matches of the quality that he needs. :rolleyes:

Noleta
01-24-2010, 07:22 PM
I would love Cilic to win this,but can't see him recovering in time,he played 2 long five setters:shrug:Roddick in 4.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, look at it that way then if you want, his not a stalwart fighter who grinds his way through no matter what then, just spare me the BS that he needs to play the match of his life to have a chance to win. His played plenty of matches of the quality that he needs. :rolleyes:Where did I say he has to play the match of his life to win? :confused: I said nothing even remotely of that sort. All I said was you can't judge a matchup based on one close match where one of the players didn't even play well :lol: reading your posts in this thread you would think Cilic owns Andy like Federer does or has a game to hurt him like Murray's. :lol:

Corey Feldman
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
hopefully Cilic has enough in the tank and doesnt wimp out

its time for superbrat II to go home

Mechlan
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I was very impressed with Cilic's play against Del Potro. He's got a bigger game that's better suited to this surface. Whether he'll be able to bring it against Roddick remains to be seen. Andy just has so much more experience at this stage. I'll go with Roddick in 4.

born_on_clay
01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Roddick in 5

oranges
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Where did I say he has to play the match of his life to win? :confused: I said nothing even remotely of that sort. All I said was you can't judge a matchup based on one close match where one of the players didn't even play well :lol: reading your posts in this thread you would think Cilic owns Andy like Federer does or has a game to hurt him like Murray's. :lol:

Sorry, the second part was not meant as a response to you, though it appears so as it just follows. It's just my frustration at the entire previous discussion talking ;), which basically at the same time counts on Marin making countless errors and states he needs to play a match of his life, literally. So my gripe was really with flyboy and his theories and the posts you refer to were a response to them and should be viewed as such. I really do believe the matchup suits him, more so than Gonzo (whom he also beat once), partly on their encounter and largely on knowing Marin's game inside out and Roddick's well enough. To what extent that will play a role and how good either has to play to win, I'll leave to them now :wavey:

Deathless Mortal
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Marin easily

Sean
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Oh dear this is your classic lose lose situation. Roddick in 5.

Leo
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Cilic in a close 5-setter.

NYCtennisfan
01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Marin certainly has the game to defeat Roddick, but it will not by easy. Since the beginning of 2003, aside from Federer, only Murray and Lux have defeated Roddick in straight sets at the AO/Wim/USO, and those were really close matches. Roddick's serve and fighting mentality will probably make it a close dogfight, even if it seems that he has no chance in most of the rallies.

It's difficult to beat two established (DelPo could be considered 'established' since he won the USO) players in a row at slams--great sign for Cilic's future if he can pull it off.

cocrcici
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I can't wait:bounce:

cobalt60
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
:) Thank you. I try to be reasonable, but most importantly, I try to be LOGICAL. I've noticed many people on this forum can't be logical without letting clear biases get in the way. It's actually really annoying. I mean, the writing is on the wall for me. I see absolutely no way Roddick will lose to Cilic, unless Cilic plays at an unbelievable level. And Roddick makes it seem like he's "lucky", when the truth is he is just a solid professional. He is smart and solid, and even when he may be getting out hit from the baseline, he finds ways to win. That makes him a winner.

well said :yeah:

cobalt60
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Oh dear this is your classic lose lose situation. Roddick in 5.

win win for me;)

The Magician
01-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Cilic has a great serve, better reach, better groundstrokes off both wings, a better transition game and volleys, and nothing to lose. No way Roddick even gets 2 sets. Cilic in straights.

DwyaneWade
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Cilic has a great serve, better reach, better groundstrokes off both wings, a better transition game and volleys, and nothing to lose. No way Roddick even gets 2 sets. Cilic in straights.

Agreed on all fronts. Plus it is not an odd-numbered year, so Roddick should not make AO SFs.

OTOH I have the creepy feeling Roddick is going to be fresher for this match and Cilic comes out flat (as he did against Tomic). Roddick in 4.

Ertl93
01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
A-Rod in 5.

malisha
01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
hopefully Marin comes out fresh and recovered

if so he have a good chance

Jimnik
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Classic aggressive Roddy would win in 3.

Stupid shoddy Roddy will be lucky to take it to 5.

Hope the first one shows up. Cilic epitomizes the new generation of players, boring game and no personality.

out_here_grindin
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Interesting matchup, Roddick in 5

king_roger
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Where did I say he has to play the match of his life to win? :confused: I said nothing even remotely of that sort. All I said was you can't judge a matchup based on one close match where one of the players didn't even play well :lol: reading your posts in this thread you would think Cilic owns Andy like Federer does or has a game to hurt him like Murray's. :lol:

So you think that Cilic doesn't have a big enough game to hurt Roddick?? Well, i have a couple of hints for you : vs Murray USOpen 2009, vs Nadal Beijing 2009. It seems to me that you haven't watched Cilic play at all. He's one of the biggest hitters out there.

Jimnik
01-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Cilic is a great professional with a very effective game but I would also question whether it's a difficult match-up for Rod. Murray and Federer get a lot of returns in play and employ the deadly slice BH. Those aren't really Cilic's strengths.

Rumour
01-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Cilic.

Mr. Oracle
01-25-2010, 06:53 AM

I think step one for team croatia is to actually win a masters title (between all 4 or 5 mugs) before they can even dream about a slam. What planet do you live on?

brithater
01-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Everyone is talking about Cilic recovering or not. In the fifth set he looked as good as he did in the 1st. This guys fittness is underated. Besides Roddick aint gonna be dictating play so he is way more in danger of not recovering. He better be moving well because Cilic aint gonna miss unless he has to hit a lot of ball.

Cilic will be running Andy lit a rag doll and comming into net when he can. Roddick aint doin nothing to Cilics serve. Roddicks going home.

enigma
01-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Marin in 4

gusavo
01-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Nadal will not straight set Cilic. This I promise.
perfect, so you will give me 100 times the money on that?

Cilic is going to run him around on a string. Cilic is serveing like a monster, hitting clean with depth, and even coming in quite a bit. Andy is going home.
so whats the odds of andy pulling the upset?

oranges
01-25-2010, 08:11 AM
I think step one for team croatia is to actually win a masters title (between all 4 or 5 mugs) before they can even dream about a slam. What planet do you live on?

Because clearly that's what all slam winners do? :rolleyes: Not to mention, of course, that the thread is about QF match, using all 1 brain cell to post there, good job.

Mr. Oracle
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Because clearly that's what all slam winners do? :rolleyes: Not to mention, of course, that the thread is about QF match, using all 1 brain cell to post there, good job.

That makes no sense. He predicted cilic will win many slams, I said lets wait until he wins a masters before we make predictions my single celled friend.

oranges
01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
That makes no sense. He predicted cilic will win many slams, I said lets wait until he wins a masters before we make predictions my single celled friend.

And I'm saying you obviously lost that single brain cell since winning masters is fuck all related to winning slams, with the latest slam winner being one of many examples.

Ad Wim
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I think Roddick in 3. He is serving too well and is way too solid form the back for UE Cilic.

Gandalf
01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Cilic will be a multiple slam winner in the next five years. He is a throwback to the old days when Men acted like Men on court and the women acted like Andy Roddick.

:spit:

It's for sure an interesting match. I wouldn't be surprised if Cilic has a letdown after his victory against del Potro and Roddick runs away with the win.

saniapower
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Andy in 4

Bilbo
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
A. Roddick

gulzhan
01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Cilic is more tired I think. Roddick might have a second breath.

brithater
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Cilic is more tired I think. Roddick might have a second breath.

Cilic looked like a spartan in that fifth set with Delpro.

Deboogle!.
01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
So you think that Cilic doesn't have a big enough game to hurt Roddick?? Well, i have a couple of hints for you : vs Murray USOpen 2009, vs Nadal Beijing 2009. It seems to me that you haven't watched Cilic play at all. He's one of the biggest hitters out there.That's not what I meant at all, please don't put words into my mouth. Andy struggles MOST with players who can return his serve and get every ball back. Sure he has a problem with big hitters too, but so do a lot of players because you never know when they can just hit you off the court. In particular the game styles of Federer, Murray, Rafa, etc, are especially bad for Andy. What I was saying is that I don't see anything in Cilic's game that would be especially problematic for Andy and his game. Cilic is a good player and will have many good wins in his career and will be a top player maybe for a long time to come, but as Jimnik said, what I question is the statement that Cilic is a "bad matchup" for Andy. Andy himself said, the first match they played Cilic didn't play well, the second match they played, he didn't play well, so it's hard to know what the matchup is really like if they've never really played well against each other at the same time. That said I don't like the way andy is playing so far this year and I do expect Cilic to hit him off the court tonight, not because it's a "bad matchup" for Andy but because he's playing like a pussy.

And I have seen Cilic play plenty, thank you.

tyruk14
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Roddick's consistency and experience in the majors will carry him through this one in four sets, three of which will be extremely tight. Cilic will bury himself with bad percentage tennis at the wrong moments. And if any of you think that this guy, Marin Cilic, who was pushed to five sets by the Young Mug Tomic, has any chance in this match, you are insane.

Peace.

philosophicalarf
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Cilic looked like a spartan in that fifth set with Delpro.

Yes, his fitness was excellent, especially given the huge amount of time he'd been on court before. Probably still advantage Roddick in a 5th set though, but not a massive factor in 25c heat.

Roddick's chances on a slowish court basically lie with the warrior vs choker element. He's a king of tiebreaks, Cilic is the worst in the top50. On bps Cilic is particularly awful at converting, and that's going to be doubly true against the Roddick serve.

ossie
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
cilic will take this with ease

Brick Top
01-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Andy in 3

Geo
01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
if Cilic plays well, he can take this in 4 sets :shrug: the problem with him is that he gets nervous and he can be inconsistent. His forehand and volleys can suddenly break down, and he's gonna need those against Roddick.

i expect Roddick to take this in 4 sets though :o he'll put on the big dog bullshit and Cilic will probably be too intimidated by the moment and what this means for his career :o i hope i'm wrong though :p :lol:

DrJules
01-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Serve dominated match with Roddick winning.

Deivid23
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Cilic is a great professional with a very effective game but I would also question whether it's a difficult match-up for Rod. Murray and Federer get a lot of returns in play and employ the deadly slice BH. Those aren't really Cilic's strengths.

Wrong. One of the strengths in Cilic´s game is his returns

bluefork
01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
It's all up to Cilic. He has the firepower to beat Roddick and his wait-for-my-opponent-to-screw-up game. He just needs to stay calm and be ready to punish Roddick's kamikazes to the net.

Baghdatis72
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Roddick in 5 sets:

7-5 4-6 7-6 3-6 6-2

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Apparently Andy didn't practice yesterday and there are rumors about his knee, so, the result will be obvious IMO

Jimnik
01-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Apparently Andy didn't practice yesterday and there are rumors about his knee, so, the result will be obvious IMO
FFS, it's the start of the season and he has problems already? :banghead:

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 02:38 AM
It was a re-tweaking of the knee he hurt last fall, which was obviously more serious than he ever let on. He clearly tweaked it a couple times, said after it wasn't a big deal, but that was before the adrenaline wore off and he woke up the next morning :shrug:

malisha
01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
any link for this info?

cheers

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
faker IMHO

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 03:06 AM
any link for this info?

cheersThey've talked about it on ESPN twice now, at the top of the broadcast an hour ago and just now while Kirilenko was taking a medical timeout.

swebright
01-26-2010, 03:11 AM
I don't think Andy will withdraw or retire. Poor guy.
Yeah..that "not practising" is so unusual.

General Suburbia
01-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Cilic isn't playing well at all. It's killing me to know that Roddick would be winning if he wasn't injured.

Geo
01-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Cilic is such a choker :spit: :o after that 2nd set he has just totally gone away :retard: he looks so nervous and roddick is taking advantage of it.

marin suddenly can't serve or hit his groundstrokes :tape:

he has a pattern of this happening to him too. remember vs. del potro at the uso last year? :tape:

SheepleBuster
01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
I like Cilic, but I think he'll be the next ancic and not the next Del Potro. He is better than Ancic. Don't get me wrong. But I don't think he'll win a slam. I hope I am wrong but he can't beat Novak and other top players on a consistent basis. He did beat Murray, Nadal, and Del Po but he also almost lost it to Tomic. I think he is playing worse this year

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Cilic performance is about as pathtic as anything ive ever seen

i just hope its completed and he loses 5th set as well

SheepleBuster
01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
If this match ends quickly, can they just start Murray Nadal rightaway. It's 2 AM in the morning here for god's sake. I love Australia but they need to change their match time so we in the US can see some of these good matches.

LaFuria
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Cilic should retire after this. This is an embarrassment to the sport.

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
gotta love Roddick playing possum with his "injury" as well

been hanging around with Djokovic too long :lol:

SheepleBuster
01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Guys stop discussing live matches or they'll close the thread :) Besides, who cares who wins here. It's all about the winner of Murray Nadal who'll go on to win these championships. After seeing tonight's match, I have so much more respect for Nadal. This stuff won't ever happen to him

SheepleBuster
01-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Rod Laver Arena court has a disease. First Fed was getting his butt spanked by Andreev. Then Davydenko forgot how to play tennis. It's just all so crazy

General Suburbia
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
It's just all so crazy
Definitely one of the weirder grand slams in recent memory.

LaFuria
01-26-2010, 07:11 AM
I always find the AO random, you get a lot of greats unprepared and that's why it produces the most one slam wonders, but this year things are being taken to the next level.

SheepleBuster
01-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I always find the AO random, you get a lot of greats unprepared and that's why it produces the most one slam wonders, but this year things are being taken to the next level.

Won't have a slam wonder this year. It'll either be Djokovic, Fed, Nadal or Murray. No Thomas Johansson this year.

LaFuria
01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Won't have a slam wonder this year. It'll either be Djokovic, Fed, Nadal or Murray. No Thomas Johansson this year.

I've already mentally prepared myself for another Fed/Nadal final. :(

Langers
01-26-2010, 07:53 AM
How so? :confused:

christallh24
01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
^^^ He would need to beat Murray first. And I honestly can't see him doing that.

Corey Feldman
01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
better 5th set from the Croat

networthy
01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Roddick's consistency and experience in the majors will carry him through this one in four sets, three of which will be extremely tight. Cilic will bury himself with bad percentage tennis at the wrong moments. And if any of you think that this guy, Marin Cilic, who was pushed to five sets by the Young Mug Tomic, has any chance in this match, you are insane.

:haha:

networthy
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Cilic is too inconsistent to beat Roddick. Only reason he got by Del Potro is because Del was injured.

:haha: