AO Rd4 Roddick d Gonzalez 6-3 3-6 4-6 7-5 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO Rd4 Roddick d Gonzalez 6-3 3-6 4-6 7-5 6-2

Iván
01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
:eek:

famous match which will be remembered for the incredibly injustful decision by molina.

green25814
01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Great match, but poor finish.

Roddick is incredibly lucky.

cobalt60
01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok what happened? I just woke up.

TheBoiledEgg
congrats Molina, now he should play Cilic instead
have his but whipped on court.

Gonzo :( :( :cuckoo:

Chiakifug
It seems to happen to Gonzo a lot :lol:

Aaric
01-24-2010, 01:11 PM
:o
AO sucks now
Go Nole and Roger

Lopez
Well now it's easier for me cheer for Cilic. Sad that Gonzo melted away. Someone should put the replay of the set point in the fourth set on youtube.

dodo
Ok what happened? I just woke up.

molina gave roddick the point and 4th set after an overturned hawkeye challenge. gonzales clearly had a play on it. horrid.

tyruk14
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
First four sets were good. Fifth was terrible. Good luck, Marin, you're going to need it.

orangehat
:o not a major fan of either but the way Roddick conducted himself .. :o

Voo de Mar
IMO Molina made a mistake but Gonzo made a mistake too because didn't hit the ball which was in his range. Controversial situation, anyway Gonzalez should blame himself for throwing 40-0 lead in that game :o

Clydey
Molina covered himself in glory tonight.

Terrible end to what was a great match. Up until the end of the 4th, this match was a joy. Not Roddick's fault, mind you. He did what he had to do.

nobama
Gonzo's the dumbass that dumps serve after being up 40-0. :retard:

Iván
i was in pure shock when he said set roddick

gonzo's blood was boiling

Taz Warrior
Great match for 4 sets....

Calidreth
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Molina was right in this case. Players have to remember to hit that ball regardless of the call. Good match from Andy, but kudos to Gonzo, he was fantastic.

dodo
Poor Gonzo. Amazing play in sets 2,3,4. Got amazingly shafted by everything imaginable the last 45 minutes. Great match by both.

ClaudiuS
Molina sucked big time.

And Gonzo too at that game...he wasted a 40-0

silverwhite
01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
molina gave roddick the point and 4th set after an overturned hawkeye challenge. gonzales clearly had a play on it. horrid.

What was the score at that point?

ballbasher101
01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Gonzo is stupid, the guy lacks professionalism. Was he wronged?, yes he was but to just give up like that is beyond me.

green25814
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Molina was right in this case. Players have to remember to hit that ball regardless of the call. Good match from Andy, but kudos to Gonzo, he was fantastic.

*looks at flag*

BULLSHIT.

Roddickominator
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Crazy match...Gonzo was in beast mode from the 2nd to 4th set. He probably should have taken it in the 4th set. 5th set was bad....Gonzo's adrenaline ran out and he was just kinda out there. Roddick weathered the storm, remained steady, and cleaned up the exhausted Gonzo.

Andy may have tweaked his knee again too....he looked to be in pain throughout the match but he moved fine.

aussie_fan
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Ignore all the dumb posts in this thread, Molina made the correct call, Gonzalez didn't swing at the ball, he let it go, it's Roddick's point.

Great match, Roddick was just able to survive Gonzo's incredible play, he ended up falling away in the 5th.

wackykid
IMO Molina made a mistake but Gonzo made a mistake too because didn't hit the ball which was in his range. Controversial situation, anyway Gonzalez should blame himself for throwing 40-0 lead in that game :o

IMHO... gonzo just gave up and assumed either the ball is out or he can't reach it... BEFORE the call came in... so he should blame himself of not going for it.... so molina isn't wrong...

but if he did get to the ball and touch it... molina should call for a replay of the point instead...

regards,
wacky

gulzhan
I don't understand why it's called controversial :confused: I remember a situation exactly like this one for one of Russian girls and no one thought it was a controversial point. The rules are clear-- you don't touch the ball, the opponent gets a point. Gonzo must know that.

sammy01
credit roddick for fighting his ass off, he really did give it his all out there.

whether or not gonzo got screwed over, his output in the 5th set was pathetic. to let a 4th round match go in the 5th because of it was inexcusable.

roddick should make the semis now.

VolandriFan
Here's my take:

Regardless of whether or not Gonzalez intended to or did swing his racquet, in my opinion he still had a play on the ball (reasonable chance of throwing a lob up) when the linesman made his call, meaning that the call potentially interfered with Gonzalez' ability to play the ball. This is irrespective of whether the umpire assumed Gonzalez was going to hit the ball or not. The bad call still came when he had a chance of reaching that ball. The point should have been replayed.

MrChopin
01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Gonzo will always be a chicken shit cheater. Roddick will always be a frat boy asshead with a sense of limelight-fueled entitlement. There is no winner here. Hopefully Cilic wipes the floor with A Rod.

nobama
Molina was crap tonight, but as a player you should know to play every ball no matter what. You don't stop because you think the ball is going long. Had he made a play on the ball then they would have replayed the point.

bad gambler
He has nobody but himself to blame, 40-0 up and couldn't force the TB.

Basic tennis, you play the ball at all times, you don't just stop assuming the ump is going to make the call.

LleytonMonfils
01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Blaming the chair umpire is laughable. Gonzalez should have never put himself in that situation being up 40-0. That is all on him for even doing that.

Good battle Roddick. Could have easily faded away with Gonzo in the zone like that. I think he had over 80 winners.

I'm glad to see some people realize being up 40-0 serving means that should have never happened.

Max Power
01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Molina's call was completely correct- watch the replay. Gonzalez thought Roddick's shot was going out and had already stopped going for the ball. The ball was already past Gonzalez before the call was made; the call did absolutely nothing to interfere with the point. If no call is made, the ball is still already past Gonzalez, meaning that if the ball was in (which the challenged demonstrated), Roddick has won the point.

This was almost identical to the call made against Roddick at the end of his match with Bellucci, which was also correct.

MsTree
01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Should have been replayed, it's not like it was a late call, it came more or less just after the ball had bounced iirc (Eurosport didn't manage a replay at the time) :o) maybe Gonzo should've played it but that was unfair on set point not to replay the point.

Bashak
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
yeah, I thought the set point on the 4th set should have been replayed. I think the line judge called it out and that's when Gonzalez let it go. I don't understand spanish but Gonzo clearly insisted that it was not a winner but the umpire did not change his call.

henke007
Roddick owned GonzoMug mentally!!

Correct from Molina when Gonzo didn't hit the ball and let the winner pass the outside of the line.

Amazing Stats besides BP conversion from A-ROD 105 Winners 17 UE 32 Aces and 0 DF.s.

Cilic won't have a chance.

aussie_fan
Here's my take:

Regardless of whether or not Gonzalez intended to or did swing his racquet, in my opinion he still had a play on the ball (reasonable chance of throwing a lob up) when the linesman made his call, meaning that the call potentially interfered with Gonzalez' ability to play the ball. This is irrespective of whether the umpire assumed Gonzalez was going to hit the ball or not. The bad call still came when he had a chance of reaching that ball. The point should have been replayed.

He makes the call after the ball goes past him though, Gonzo still has to make a swing on the ball.

wackykid
Here's my take:

the call came only AFTER the ball touched the line... but gonzales gave up BEFORE the ball touched the line... so no way had anything interfered with gonzales not playing the ball but himself giving up...

regards,
wacky

Max Power
01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Should have been replayed, it's not like it was a late call, it came more or less just after the ball had bounced iirc (Eurosport didn't manage a replay at the time) :o) maybe Gonzo should've played it but that was unfair on set point not to replay the point.
No, again, watch the replay- it was a somewhat late call, and the ball was already behind Gonzalez, in a place where he could not possibly have hit it, before the call was made.

tnosugar
way to go a-rod. the Gonzo fan club was despicable. serves them right, they could return with some manners next year, maybe lady luck will treat them better.

JanKowalski

That may be the most stupid thing I've read on MTF.

brithater
If he could touch the ball it should have been replayed. Gonzo not responsible for bad calls. Dickrod crybabied his way to win the fourth det because he was frustrated about missing all the break point opportunities. Roddick is a hypocrite who wants it both ways.

Cilic is going to mop the floor with this mutt.

Roamed
Gonzalez didn't have a play on it imo. Wasn't sure who I wanted to win at the beginning but in the end I was happy Andy pulled it out of the bag, he did well to hang in there. Hopefully will make it to the semis again.

Speed of Light
01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Epic mugs match
It should have been suspended the minute it went over one hour
Nevertheless its always good to see the brainless forehand loosing especially when its a bitter lose like this..

Bashak
unfortunately, Gonzalez did not recover from that disagreement. however, congrats to Roddick.

cobalt60
Ok well there you have it according to MTF. I think I will head and watch the replay as well as hear what the tv pundits say. However they aren't as good as MTF;)

And thanks Dodo for answering my question :)

Taz Warrior
What was the score at that point?

It was on SP

OnyxRose
Are people just plain stupid in here? Gonzo let the ball go before it even hit the ground. It was the exact same situation as Roddick in the Bellucci match. Plus, it should have never came to that point. Gonzo's the dumbass who dumped his serve.

Hope the knee is okay for Roddick. Great fight.

shaggy
01-24-2010, 01:23 PM
molina is the worst umpire in business

Calidreth
01-24-2010, 01:23 PM
That may be the most stupid thing I've read on MTF.

Not as stupid as rebuttal. Roddick made this same case in 2008 and against Lopez and they still ended up giving the point to the other player. Looks like if someone else makes a case it's alright, but if Roddick does he's a jerk. Can't win either way can you.

Certinfy
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Come on Andy!!! :D Nice win, shame how the 4th set ended tho :(

VolandriFan
Molina's call was completely correct- watch the replay. Gonzalez thought Roddick's shot was going out and had already stopped going for the ball. The ball was already past Gonzalez before the call was made; the call did absolutely nothing to interfere with the point. If no call is made, the ball is still already past Gonzalez, meaning that if the ball was in (which the challenged demonstrated), Roddick has won the point.

This was almost identical to the call made against Roddick at the end of his match with Bellucci, which was also correct.

I disagree. Gonzalez still could have made a last ditch effort to reach that ball. The fact that he did not swing doesn't change the fact that he still could have.

~Maya~
Gonzo gave up on the ball just before it touched the ground. No way he had a swing on it. Watch the replay.

brithater
01-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Blaming the chair umpire is laughable. Gonzalez should have never put himself in that situation being up 40-0. That is all on him for even doing that.

Good battle Roddick. Could have easily faded away with Gonzo in the zone like that. I think he had over 80 winners.

I'm glad to see some people realize being up 40-0 serving means that should have never happened.

Um...the game is not over at 40-0.

MrChopin
01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Gonzo should've played it but that was unfair on set point not to replay the point.

Doesn't matter if its Point #1 or at 44-43 in a tiebreak. Gonzo sticks his racket out and makes contact and the point is replayed.

I disagree. Gonzalez still could have made a last ditch effort to reach that ball. The fact that he did not swing doesn't change the fact that he still could have.

Tennis isn't a matter of "could have." Gonzalez didn't swing. End of story.

~Maya~
Only if he was Speedy Gonzales

shaggy
I remembered ljubicic once said that molina simply does not know his job.

Vida
andy :yeah: old school.

madmanfool
01-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Molina was correct. Gonzalez decided to let it go. The call was late and if he had sticked his racquet out at that point he could not have touched it.
If Gonzalez committed to the shot, he would have easily touched it, but he didn't.

Vida
I remembered ljubicic once said that molina simply does not know his job.

he also said 'allowing canas to play is like giving a gun to someone who just came back from prison'.

canas won the doping case.

dodo
heres the replay with moonman-language comments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSYW-KF6Mo
gonzo did indeed give up before the ball bounced, but also did conceivably have a play on it afterwards.

Sophocles
Shame really. Gonzalez was hot and would have won if he'd avoided a couple of sloppy service games. But that's Gonzo for you. Credit to Roddick for hanging in there.

TheHawk
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Considering how close he was to the ball and the importance of the point, only a replay of the point was on the cards.

Terrible decision, which completely changed a match which Gonzalez was leading deservedly.

Voo de Mar
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't understand why it's called controversial :confused: I remember a situation exactly like this one for one of Russian girls and no one thought it was a controversial point. The rules are clear-- you don't touch the ball, the opponent gets a point. Gonzo must know that.

On the other hand I saw a few matches when the point was replayed in the same situation (obviously with disagreement of a player who was "today's Roddick"). Therefore I thought that the rule is: the ball shouldn't be replayed when it was out of player's range - this time IMO Gonzalez would have hit the ball if it hadn't been called "out" :o

If the rule is: you have to hit the ball no matter what the decision of the linesaman is, Molina was right but it's contradictive to the situations which I saw in the past. Maybe this rule has been modified, at last "challenges" are still "a new thing" in men's tennis.

:shrug:

VolandriFan
01-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Doesn't matter if its Point #1 or at 44-43 in a tiebreak. Gonzo sticks his racket out and makes contact and the point is replayed.

Tennis isn't a matter of "could have." Gonzalez didn't swing. End of story.

Well, I believe that there was a chance Gonzalez still could have reached the ball after the call was made. The umpire has to give the player the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

DartMarcus
01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Andy would have better had this luck at Wimby last year :sad:
Now he'll probably take out Cilic and then lose in semis.

zlaja777
01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't like Molina since USO 2006 SF Jankovic vs Henin. This one proved to me that he is an ass.

VolandriFan
01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
gonzo did indeed give up before the ball bounced, but also did conceivably have a play on it afterwards.

Exactly.

scoobs
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry, there's just no way Molina could be absolutely certain that Gonzalez, who was stood right there and was in striking distance of the ball, absolutely, definitely had no play on that shot at all and that he was not disturbed by the out call - it was too close and happened too fast. There is no way Molina could be convinced beyond all doubt of that, and so he should have replayed the point. Like umpires are supposed to overrule on clear mistakes (several of which Molina missed tonight), they should award points resulting from Hawkeye challenges when there is absolutely no doubt that the player had no play on the ball and was not disturbed by an out call. Terrible decision.

Regardless, it was dumb of Gonzo to let that determine the outcome of the match - he basically sulked through most of that fifth set, didn't notice Roddick seemed to be getting a bit jittery trying to finish it off, and just let Roddick off the hook at the end. That one call should not have decided the result and it's Gonzo's fault that it did - he's experienced enough to know not to let one decision spoil it.

paseo
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Gonzalez was playing great tennis. Nice fight from Roddick. And I think the call was right, though.

Max Power
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
The audio is not in sync with the picture on this clip; notice, you hear the sounds of their rackets hitting the ball well before you actually see them do it. Since the audio is ahead of the video, the call seems more timely than it actually was- again, in reality, the ball was already past Gonzalez to the point at which he could not possibly have touched it when the call was made, and if you watch a replay with the audio in sync with the video (again, note the premature racket sounds on this one) you will see this.

Azurebi
01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Is Gonzalez playing doubles? Fernando did tired so soon, was winning the match.
I couldn't stand Stefaniki's face so I wished Gonzalez to win, but
Congrats to Andy, found the way to win. :devil:

MsTree
01-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the vid but the audio sync is so bad the out call came before the ball had bounced :lol: Can't understand how the broadcasters couldn't get a video replay together at the time :( And as other people have said, replays have been given in the past when the player has had less of a play than Gonzo had. I'm not a fan of either player but that just seemed exceptionally cruel on Gonzo.

brithater
01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I have a solution to fix all this. Get the players back and replay the entire match.:eek:

Nah, Me and Gonzo are just going to go kick some ass!!!! :(

Langers
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
BRILLIANT tennis! :rocker2:

Big call by the ump, got it right though.

Roddick what a fighter, Gonzo what a shotmaker. Thanks guys. :worship:

ce2
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
:woohoo:

Azurebi
01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Gonzalez became very sloppy from the beginning of the 4th.

~Maya~
01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
The sound is quicker than the picture. Makes it look the call was instant and it wasn't

Dyraise
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Better video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZIUuJbkNvI

The umpire was right.

Juanes
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
congrats to Roddick

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
The replays (with audio) showed CLEARLY that Gonzo stopped playing BEFORE the out call. It is the exact same thing that happened to Andy in the earlier round, where Andy admitted in the press conference he was wrong after he saw the video after arguing on court they should've replayed the point and the ump disagreed. It was the correct call that time and it was the correct (and consistent) call this time.

Xristos
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Gonzo got robbed.

kinski76
01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Gonzo has himself to thank for blowing a 40-0 lead, regardless of what was later to come (and regardless of whether or not the ump's decision was correct), but I still feel bad for him, as it really screwed up his concentration. The 5th set was an antimclimax to an otherwise entertaining match. Maybe Gonzo can find some consolation in Federer's famous words from last week's exho? After all, "Hawkeye doesn't work anyway."

Max Power
01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Better video:
There we have it- the ball is already past him, he has stopped moving towards it, and his racket is lowered, all before the call is made. The call didn't interfere with the point at all. This being the case, since the ball was in, Roddick won. Molina was correct.

~Maya~
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Better video:

The umpire was right.

Thank You :)

MsTree
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Better video:

The umpire was right.

Have to agree, the out call came after the ball was past him. Still seen replays given for less though!

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Gonzo has himself to thank for blowing a 40-0 lead, regardless of what was later to come (and regardless of whether or not the ump's decision was correct), but I still feel bad for him, as it really screwed up his concentration. The 5th set was an antimclimax to an otherwise entertaining match. Maybe Gonzo can find some consolation in Federer's famous words from last week's exho? After all, "Hawkeye doesn't work anyway."He also has himself to blame for not even attempting to play the ball. If he'd even gotten his racquet on it in any way, or even kept trying to play the ball until after the out call, the point would've been replayed. He didn't, so, it was his fault for letting the ball go.

scoobs
01-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Better video:

The umpire was right.
Judging from this video, maybe the umpire was right, it does look like Gonzo had already assumed the ball was going out and stopped...

Maybe Molina got this one right - but judging from some of his other mistakes this evening I can't help but wonder how much of that is accurately seeing the situation and how much is just sheer luck that he got it right.

scoobs
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Have to agree, the out call came after the ball was past him. Still seen replays given for less though!
Yes and I think this is what pisses most people off - the inconsistency - some umpires in that situation would have erred on the side of caution and called a replay. Others wouldn't - and that's too bad.

Dougie
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
It looked like Gonzalez let the ball go. It´s obviously a difficult rule to enforce and interpret but given the critical situation and the obvious importance of the point, it wouldn´t have been morally wrong to replay it.

Now it was the same as a referee would decide a football match by blowing a controversial penalty at overtime. It might have been right, might have been wrong, but leaves a bad taste in any case.

Still, kudos to Roddick, he did nothing anything wrong, and fought well.

silverwhite
01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
It was on SP

I actually was asking about the exact score. After hearing that Gonzo was 40-0 up, I assume it was at 6-5 A-40* in the fourth. Thanks anyway :p

CR3WLFC
01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
He was there. IMO he could have hit the ball but he didn't , if he did he would probably get a let. It's his own fault.

Can't believe a call can get into a players head like this. Gonzo played shit in the 5th.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes and I think this is what pisses most people off - the inconsistency - some umpires in that situation would have erred on the side of caution and called a replay. Others wouldn't - and that's too bad.Sure, that is always a problem. but earlier in the tournament a different ump made the exact same decision. If other umps are calling things incorrectly, that doesn't mean this particular call was unjust. There's no way to remove all human inconsistency from tennis, unfortunately.

scoobs
01-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Sure, that is always a problem. but earlier in the tournament a different ump made the exact same decision. If other umps are calling things incorrectly, that doesn't mean this particular call was unjust. There's no way to remove all human inconsistency from tennis, unfortunately.
No, it doesn't, but I would like to see some public acknowledgement from the ATP and ITF that they have looked at these sorts of situations and have laid down clear guidelines about how they should be decided.

The confusion on this thread shows that nobody's quite sure what criteria are supposed to be used to determine whether a player "had a play" on the shot or not.

Filo V.
01-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't know why people are crying or there is even a discussion on the topic. Gonzo gave up on the point, didn't make an attempt to hit the ball, and the ball landed in. Point Roddick. Very simple call, I think some of you have blinders on.

And that point is absolutely no excuse for Gonzalez to basically deflate and go on walkabout the entire 5th set. I knew Roddick would win during the middle of the 4th set, he is simply too solid for Gonzo, emotionally and game wise. Fena couldn't keep up his level forever, and he didn't, and that was it.

tnosugar
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
He also has himself to blame for not even attempting to play the ball. If he'd even gotten his racquet on it in any way, or even kept trying to play the ball until after the out call, the point would've been replayed. He didn't, so, it was his fault for letting the ball go.

yep. that's what Nadal would have done. That's why he keeps winning matches like these.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 01:56 PM
No, it doesn't, but I would like to see some public acknowledgement from the ATP and ITF that they have looked at these sorts of situations and have laid down clear guidelines about how they should be decided.

The confusion on this thread shows that nobody's quite sure what criteria are supposed to be used to determine whether a player "had a play" on the shot or not.After the match, Brad asked Andy about it and said it seemed to be the same thing as what happened in his earlier match. Andy said he had no idea what the rule is, so there's obviously confusion. However, I do think if a player stops playing before the call (which is what happened in both these instances), the point shouldn't be replayed. as PMac said, the players should always go for every ball. If they stop playing on a ball that drops in and is called in, they don't get a chance to get the point, so why should they get the chance to replay the point if the call is incorrect. The other problem is that it's a split-second decision the ump must make. If he's not sure if the player stopped playing before the call, then the point should be replayed. But in both these instances, the umps (rightly) seemed pretty sure of what they saw.

Sophocles
01-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Trouble is I think Gonzo was getting very tired and that's why he was so disappointed it went to a 5th. He really wanted to finish it in 4.

Shirogane
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Gonzalez became very sloppy from the beginning of the 4th.Yeah I really wonder why.

brithater
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
That video footage has been edited! Rumors are circulating that Roddick paid Molina for the Bias line calls throughout the match. Gonzo had broke twice in the second set and it only counted for one. An internal investigation has been launched into the matter and Molina is expected to be banned from umpiring. Andy Roddick was not available for comment due to hand job being given to him by Patrick McEnroe.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
That video footage has been edited! Rumors are circulating that Roddick paid Molina for the Bias line calls throughout the match. Gonzo had broke twice in the second set and it only counted for one. An internal investigation has been launched into the matter and Molina is expected to be banned from umpiring. Andy Roddick was not available for comment due to hand job being given to him by Patrick McEnroe.:haha:

Taz Warrior
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Trouble is I think Gonzo was getting very tired and that's why he was so disappointed it went to a 5th. He really wanted to finish it in 4.

Yes, I agree - he was visibly tiring in the 4th set and even without that incident I couldn't see him winning a fifth set if he lost the fourth.

MrChopin
01-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry, there's just no way Molina could be absolutely certain that Gonzalez, who was stood right there and was in striking distance of the ball, absolutely, definitely had no play on that shot at all and that he was not disturbed by the out call - it was too close and happened too fast. There is no way Molina could be convinced beyond all doubt of that, and so he should have replayed the point. Like umpires are supposed to overrule on clear mistakes (several of which Molina missed tonight), they should award points resulting from Hawkeye challenges when there is absolutely no doubt that the player had no play on the ball and was not disturbed by an out call. Terrible decision.

He didn't overrule anything. Gonzo didn't hit the ball. Roddick challenged and won the call. It's Roddick's point. The criteria should be whether noticeable contact with the ball is made. That's it.

If we go by an immeasurable "Did he have a 'play' on the ball?" as some suggest, then we open the door for a hoard of vague situations, interpretations, and more gamesmanship. Gonzo might have held off on hitting it to intimidate the linesman into calling it out. What happened here? Gonzo doesn't swing despite being able to, and surprise, an incorrect late call of "out" is made by the linesman.

The bottom line is that Gonzo didn't hit the ball. Case closed. No reason to introduce the indefinable "no doubt that a player has a play on the ball" rule. You had a play only if you hit the ball. Hit it into the stands if you are so certain its going out, but hit the ball. It's not hard unless you don't have a play on it.

Gonzalez88
01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all Gonzo!!! You are magic!!!
he has dominated the game, he has played very very well for 4 set...
Fuck Molina!!

Har-Tru
01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
The umpire made the right decision. :shrug:

brief
01-24-2010, 02:05 PM
All of my streams died towards the end of the fourth set. Guess it was for the better.

tennishero
01-24-2010, 02:05 PM
roddick having a repeat of USO 2003?

Bobby
01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Gonzalez made the decision not to play the ball. It would have been much too late to change his mind in case there wasn't an out call. So he can only blame himself. He shouldn't assume that the ball will be out. Especially at such an important point.

I've never liked hawk-eye. It may clarify some close calls, but this is what we get in return. Another kind of controversy and impossible decisions for the umpires.

River
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Sucky end to a set.

Seems Roddick can't get any matches with no controversy.

Funny as shit, though xD Roddick has the same situation in a prior match and MTF thinks he's as an asshole. Now he finds himself in the other end of a similar call and now MTF thinks he's a /cheating/ asshole. The dude's always on a thin thread.

Damnit Gonzo, why'd you give up on th 5th. I wouldn't have minded at all if you beat Andy; either of you I wouldn't mind going to the next round.

Certinfy
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
The umpire made the right decision. :shrug:^^^ This

Azurebi
01-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah I really wonder why.

Age... Lack of fitness... playing doubles...
He could break Andy early on 4th, but couldn't. Missed the easy shots. Sloppy footwork.

I saved the match in my bland new HD recorder, i'm happy about the match was the epic.
Can't stand smirking Stefanki's face though :p

Calidreth
01-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Sucky end to a set.

Seems Roddick can't get any matches with no controversy.

Funny as shit, though xD Roddick has the same situation in a prior match and MTF thinks he's as an asshole. Now he finds himself in the other end of a similar call and now MTF thinks he's a /cheating/ asshole. The dude's always on a thin thread.

Damnit Gonzo, why'd you give up on th 5th. I wouldn't have minded at all if you beat Andy; either of you I wouldn't mind going to the next round.

Exactly right. Let the morons have their spite. As they say, "haters gonna hate."

scoobs
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
He didn't overrule anything. Gonzo didn't hit the ball. Roddick challenged and won the call. It's Roddick's point. The criteria should be whether noticeable contact with the ball is made. That's it.

If we go by an immeasurable "Did he have a 'play' on the ball?" as some suggest, then we open the door for a hoard of vague situations, interpretations, and more gamesmanship. Gonzo might have held off on hitting it to intimidate the linesman into calling it out. What happened here? Gonzo doesn't swing despite being able to, and surprise, an incorrect late call of "out" is made by the linesman.

The bottom line is that Gonzo didn't hit the ball. Case closed. No reason to introduce the indefinable "no doubt that a player has a play on the ball" rule. You had a play only if you hit the ball. Hit it into the stands if you are so certain its going out, but hit the ball. It's not hard unless you don't have a play on it.
I'm not trying to introduce anything - you're acting as though there is a definite rule out there that the player must hit the ball somehow to get a replayed point. That's not the case as far as I'm aware. As far as I understand it, there is this vague "indefinable" as to whether the player had a play on the ball and I think this confusion needs to be cleared up once and for all - even the players don't understand how this is supposed to be settled.

MrChopin
01-24-2010, 02:11 PM
roddick having a repeat of USO 2003?

Still hanging on to that after six years?

jcempire
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Nice play for Roddick...............

Calidreth

It's all fans of that fat waste of talent can hold on to

Deivid23
Gonzo is a natural born choker and Molina´s call was right. Hope this helps

River
I'm not trying to introduce anything - you're acting as though there is a definite rule out there that the player must hit the ball somehow to get a replayed point. That's not the case as far as I'm aware. As far as I understand it, there is this vague "indefinable" as to whether the player had a play on the ball and I think this confusion needs to be cleared up once and for all - even the players don't understand how this is supposed to be settled.

If that's the case, I think that no matter what the call was going to be, Molina was going to be hounded either way. It was a tough call, guess. If neither player didn't know how it was going to be, they shouldn't contend it.

JanKowalski
01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
After watching the second replay i think the umpire was right. The call WAS late and the ball WAS past Gonzalez at the time the call was made. Oh, well, Gonzalez is not the brightest tennis player on tour. Lame that ES didn't play any replay of that point during the match, i guess the commercials were more important.

Shirogane
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Age... Lack of fitness... playing doubles...
He could break Andy early on 4th, but couldn't. Missed the easy shots. Sloppy footwork.

I saved the match in my bland new HD recorder, i'm happy about the match was the epic.
Can't stand smirking Stefanki's face though :pI was being sarcastic - let's call my comment rhetorical, at best.

The fifth set was anything but epic.

Bobby
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Besides, that wasn't even a decisive point. Gonzalez blew a 40-0 lead so that was only one of the five points Roddick won in that particular game. Gonzalez should have been able to put that behind and focus on the fifth set. Instead, he chose to focus on the coming hawk eye calls and cheer when one of those calls was in his favour.

Hawk eye is a useless and expensive system. It has been around for some time now, yet there obviously aren't any clear rules for situations like this. Molina had only two bad decisions he could make there.

Dougie
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
After watching a proper replay I have to say the umpire made the right decision. Gonzo clearly let the ball go before the call came. He can only blame himself for that.

LleytonMonfils
01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Exactly right. Let the morons have their spite. As they say, "haters gonna hate."

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/haters-gonna-hate.gif

brithater
01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
It was obviouslly a rushed call and influenced by Andy charging the Umpire. I wont be too hard on Andy but I truelly believe that if he is going to be a winey little bitch we should just castrate him and send him to the WTA along with Feliciano Lopez who obviously is already dickless and in the process of hormone therapy in an attempt to change himself to a female.

But I dont hate Andy or anything.

Geo
01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Gonzalez you idiot :o I expected something like this to happen :spit: :o when he came close to winning he imploded and then went away in the final set. :rolleyes: :retard:

Shirogane
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree, he is an idiot.

MsTree
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Lame that ES didn't play any replay of that point during the match, i guess the commercials were more important.

I'm as down on Eurosport as anyone but their commentators said that even they hadn't seen the replay as the host broadcaster hadn't shown one :o

MisterQ
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM
If that's the case, I think that no matter what the call was going to be, Molina was going to be hounded either way.

I think you're right. Either way, the chair was in for an argument.

It was a tough call, but it seems to have been reasonable.

«Ivan»
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
super.

molina/roddick def. gonzalez
what a lack of balls/ignorant umpire this molina.

yes,i liked him,cute guy:das:

Golfnduck
01-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Good match, Gonzo went away in the 5th. Good serving by Roddick, but he needs to put away those overheads a little more aggressively.

analysist
01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
What a pity for Gonzo! He showed a great form and beautiful tennis until the end of set 4. It's unlucky decision for him, but he should be calmer, and wait for another chance. He can not be unlucky forever

Andi-M
01-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Gonzo played some phenemenal tennis in sets 2,3 and 4. But it was his fault he lost by losing the 40:0 and by not hitting the ball, and also by playing half arsed in the 5th set.

No complaints that Roddick won, and deserved to. Arod :yeah:

COA
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Go on Andy, beat Cilic and fight in semis :)

Mateya
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Molina, WTF was that? :confused: :retard: :help:

The match was awesome and very entertaining, Gonzo was probably playing tennis of his life in the 4th set, hitting forehand and backhand winners and even lobbing Roddick for breakfast. :cool:
Then the "incident" came...and you just knew that was the turning point, it broke Gonzo's heart.
Even the biggest mental giants would have trouble staying cool and coming back after that kind of shock.

Regardless of whether or not Gonzalez intended to or did swing his racquet, in my opinion he still had a play on the ball (reasonable chance of throwing a lob up) when the linesman made his call, meaning that the call potentially interfered with Gonzalez' ability to play the ball. This is irrespective of whether the umpire assumed Gonzalez was going to hit the ball or not. The bad call still came when he had a chance of reaching that ball. The point should have been replayed.[/B]
:worship:

ServeAlready81
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Maybe that was Gonzo's payback for what he did at the Olympics to Blake :shrug:

tennishero
01-24-2010, 03:34 PM

the only time roddick won a slam was when the umpire/crowd handed him the match. i guess roddick paid the price all these years, losing in finals lol.

bjurra
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Molinas decision was correct.

Gonzo acted like the clown he is for the entire 5th set.

Roddick was horrible from the baseline.

bjurra
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Hawk eye is a useless and expensive system. It has been around for some time now, yet there obviously aren't any clear rules for situations like this. Molina had only two bad decisions he could make there.

Of course there are clear rules. If the player had a play on the ball, the ball is replayed, just like on a court without hawkeye.

Chair Umpire
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Gonzo is a natural born choker and Molina´s call was right. Hope this helps

And I may add the biggest whiner of the ATP tour.

Tommy_Vercetti
01-24-2010, 03:59 PM
the only time roddick won a slam was when the umpire/crowd handed him the match. i guess roddick paid the price all these years, losing in finals lol.

Did you read that on MTF? Because you obviously weren't watching the matches.

TennisOnWood
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Maybe that was Gonzo's payback for what he did at the Olympics to Blake :shrug:

Spot on!!!!

Tommy_Vercetti
01-24-2010, 04:08 PM
How could you even compare the two? Gonzalez cheated and lied. To compare that to that one correct call is ridiculous.

River
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM

If it's about paying the price, then Roddick is long overdue for a deserved 2nd GS for hard work.

You can only be so bitter about one trophy before you realize the better and more hard-working man had already "made up for the cheap win," if I'm guessing your thought process already. One heartbreak is enough, to ask for a whole career of heartbreak says a lot of your character, which isn't looking good at all.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 04:19 PM

The match was awesome and very entertaining, Gonzo was probably playing tennis of his life in the 4th set, hitting forehand and backhand winners and even lobbing Roddick for breakfast. :cool:
Then the "incident" came...and you just knew that was the turning point, it broke Gonzo's heart.
Even the biggest mental giants would have trouble staying cool and coming back after that kind of shock.

:worship:Have you read the rest of this thread and/or seen the replay? The ump's call was correct. Gonzo gave up on the point before the out call.

Dougie
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM

:worship:

No, the biggest mental giants wouldn´t lose a game that important after leading it 40-0, they wouldn´t let a ball go past them like that beacuse they hoped it was going out, and yes, they would remain cool and come back fighting in the fifth. That´s what makes them mental giants and separates them from players like Gonzo.

tennishero
01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
If it's about paying the price, then Roddick is long overdue for a deserved 2nd GS for hard work.

You can only be so bitter about one trophy before you realize the better and more hard-working man had already "made up for the cheap win," if I'm guessing your thought process already. One heartbreak is enough, to ask for a whole career of heartbreak says a lot of your character, which isn't looking good at all.

is long overdue a GS? lol like i said before, had nalbandian not been cheated from that match, he might have gone on to win multiple slams after that and his career could have been completely diffrent, had roddick lost that match he might have won other slams later on, anyway it doesnt matter now.
as for my character.. u dont know anything about me and i really dont care what u think, so keep ur retarded remarks to urself.

Tommy_Vercetti
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Cheated? In what universe? What a joke. Especially coming from an Argentine speaking of this sport. But I'm not going to bother arguing with another idiot about Roddick. Anyone can see by all the trash that post in his threads that it's pointless.

Anyway, always good to see Fernando "No Integrity" Gonzalez go out.

Jimnik
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Andy :banana: Eat that haters!

He's had some of his greatest 5-set victories here at the AO. El Aynaoui, Ancic and now Gonzalez.

I always knew this match-up deserved a 5-set thriller and finally we got one. :yeah:

Jimnik
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I feel for Gonzo though, seems to always get knocked out under the same circumstances. RG last year he lost a 5-setter after winning another 5-setter the previous round. At Wimby he was beaten in 5 after being broken serving to stay in the set and match. Hope he can those behind him.

Arkulari
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
is long overdue a GS? lol like i said before, had nalbandian not been cheated from that match, he might have gone on to win multiple slams after that and his career could have been completely diffrent, had roddick lost that match he might have won other slams later on, anyway it doesnt matter now.
as for my character.. u dont know anything about me and i really dont care what u think, so keep ur retarded remarks to urself.

Nalbandian has the talent, but he lacks the mental fortitude to compete well in a GS, he got owned in the only final he played :shrug:

Roddick was definitely helped by the USTA to win his US Open, but the finals he has made at Wimbledon and the USO have all been due to his hard work, sadly he found his nemesis in each and everyone of those and haven't been able to win them, he might not be as talented as Nalbandian, but he does have the capacity of work hard and pursue his dream and I prefer a not-so-good player with a heart than a talent without fire

Vale
01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
After watching a proper replay I have to say the umpire made the right decision. Gonzo clearly let the ball go before the call came. He can only blame himself for that.

Exactly! I saw the replay 4 times. The call came several moments AFTER Gonzalez let the ball go, and by then it was out of reach.

Bobby
01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Exactly! I saw the replay 4 times. The call came several moments AFTER Gonzalez let the ball go, and by then it was out of reach.

True. I watched it nine or ten times and this is my conclusion as well.

Noleta
01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
People who call Roddick a cheater,have forgotten what Gonzo did in the Olympics games 2008 SF against Blake:o

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
:woohoo:

Bad for the Gonzo fans, but good for me.

Mechlan
01-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Some really good play by both and a good match overall. Gonzalez was hitting his backhand really well at times, Roddick was the steadier player as usual. I'm impressed by the way Roddick has rounded out his game though, he showed some incredible gets and net play that I'm sure he wasn't capable of a few years ago.

Molina made the right call as several people have already pointed out. I watched the replay several times and there's no doubt that Gonzalez let that ball go before the call was made.

Congrats to Roddick, looking forward to an entertaining match against Cilic.

Ad Wim
01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
First page of such a great match only has comments on Molina on it :haha:

Roddick was just the better player in the 4th set, deserved to win it. Had 4 setpoints at 5-4 already. Molina probably made a mistake, but Gonzo shouldn't let it affect him that much. Own fault, mentally weak.

Mechlan
01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Molina probably made a mistake, but Gonzo shouldn't let it affect him that much. Own fault, mentally weak.

Molina didn't make a mistake. Gonzo shouldn't have let it affect him, but I can understand his reaction, initially I thought it was a terrible call also.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
ESPN is airing the match again right now and not only did he stop playing before the call, he stopped playing before the ball even bounced. It's extremely clear.

FelipeMIA89
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
What happened in the olympics, were not even sure if Gonzalez touched it. Besides it wasn't match point or set point. Blake was going to loose it anyways. Anyways congrats to Roddick, he stayed in there. Gonzo lost his head at the end.

TennisOnWood
01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
What happened in the olympics, were not even sure if Gonzalez touched it. Besides it wasn't match point or set point. Blake was going to loose it anyways. Anyways congrats to Roddick, he stayed in there. Gonzo lost his head at the end.

No.. it was very clear that he touched the ball

Tommy_Vercetti
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
And the problem is not that Gonzalez didn't correct the call. That's not his job. It's the fact that he lied about it after the match. There's no way in hell that he didn't know that he hit the ball. So lying emphatically after the match revealed his lack of character.

Corey Feldman
01-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Gonzo the chicken assed quitter shows again, he done it v Nadal at the US Open last year as well

too scared to play that SP in 4th set.. just wanted the out call desperately

cant stand these wimps in today's game.

born_on_clay
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Gonzo should have won this one :angry:

General Suburbia
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Fell asleep after the first set. Surprised when I saw this scoreline, I expected no more than 4 sets for Andy to win this. Gonzo must have played incredibly great; watching bits of the replay right now. Only thing I can say is that I like Gonzo's girlfriend. She looked amazed at her boyfriend's play, like she couldn't believe she was dating some international pro tennis player. A fangirl, maybe.

Smoke944
01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Good thing I didn't stay up for this :scared:
Fernando :rolleyes: shame, seems he should have won. Whatever, though. He defended his points :p :)
Congrats Andy, keep it up :cool:

ChinoRios4Ever
01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
come on! Molina was right

mug sport, life sucks, always this happens to chileans :banghead:

The Magician
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Funny the same thing happened to Roddick the match before and he thought it was bs, but when it happens to his opponent he stays quiet. Just goes to show you the "sportsmanship" of Roddick :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Funny the same thing happened to Roddick the match before and he thought it was bs, but when it happens to his opponent he stays quiet. Just goes to show you the "sportsmanship" of Roddick :rolleyes:Are you forgetting the part where Andy goes into the press conference, says he had a chance to review the videotape, and admitted he was wrong? Oh, clearly :) Plus, andy didn't say he should win the point, he ASKED (before the challenge result) whether he would win the point or not. Then said after the match he still wasn't sure of the rule. So how exactly was he a hypocrite? :scratch: Are you suggesting he should've said to the ump "oh yes, let's replay" on SP in the 4th set after midnight in the 4th round of a Slam? :lol: that's not a player's call to make, it's the ump's :lol:

The Magician
01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Are you forgetting the part where Andy goes into the press conference, says he had a chance to review the videotape, and admitted he was wrong? Oh, clearly :) Plus, andy didn't say he should win the point, he ASKED (before the challenge result) whether he would win the point or not. Then said after the match he still wasn't sure of the rule. So how exactly was he a hypocrite? :scratch: Are you suggesting he should've said to the ump "oh yes, let's replay" on SP in the 4th set after midnight in the 4th round of a Slam? :lol: that's not a player's call to make, it's the ump's :lol:

Of course in the press conference he admitted he was wrong, he won anyway. He didn't actually believe it :rolleyes: Let's not forget he used gamesmanship and pretend injuries the whole match.

Not saying Roddick should have given up the point, that's too much to ask at that point in the match. All I'm saying is Roddick is pretty selfish and Karma might bite him.

Experimentee
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Disappointing from Gonzo. The call may or may not have been correct, but he had already lost a 40-0 lead at that stage, and should have tried to swing at the ball regardless if he thought it was going out. IMO it is arguable that Molina was correct as Gonzo had made a decision to let the ball go before the call was made.

I think Gonzo must have been tiring towards the end due to his previous 5 setter against Korolev, and perhaps that was why he ran out of steam at the end of the 4th and in the 5th.

Experimentee
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I must admit that my first instinct on the set point was that Molina had made the wrong call, but on the replay it can be justified as Gonzalez had let the ball go.

Experimentee
01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Roddick is nothing but a mug pusher with a big serve. I just hate the fact that I'm going to have to cheer for Cilic in the next round :(

LleytonMonfils
01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Of course in the press conference he admitted he was wrong, he won anyway. He didn't actually believe it :rolleyes: Let's not forget he used gamesmanship and pretend injuries the whole match.

Not saying Roddick should have given up the point, that's too much to ask at that point in the match. All I'm saying is Roddick is pretty selfish and Karma might bite him.

Gamesmanship and pretend injuries? :rolleyes: Go back to your cave.

heya
01-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Federer, Agassi and the media had no problems when the schedule helped Federer + Agassi.
But Roddick was supposed to get special treatment everywhere?
Roddick wouldn't destroy his career by advertising Patrick McEnroe, Agassi & Federer if
he wanted free wins!:o:devil:
Funny how Agassi's buffoon Darren Cahill, Fed's bitches Justin Gimelstob, Pat and Pam Shriver were calling Roddick a regretful loser,
and declaring Gonzo the magician before 3 sets were done.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM

Not saying Roddick should have given up the point, that's too much to ask at that point in the match. All I'm saying is Roddick is pretty selfish and Karma might bite him.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

bjurra
01-24-2010, 11:56 PM
What happened in the olympics, were not even sure if Gonzalez touched it.

Who are "we"? Association of visually impaired?

Modetopia
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Molina was so right about this case, Gonzalez let the ball go first.
look @ 7:19 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zase80ssz1w

StevoTG
01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Well done Andy! Great fighter and into another slam QF. Good luck in the next round :)

Jimnik
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
It's Andy's 18th grand slam QF appearance. His 6th here at the AO.

MatchFederer
01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
'Defend yourself at ALL times.' = 'Play the ball at ALL times.'

sammy01
01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
TBF to roddick, for all his lack of 'skill' and lets face it he isn't natural on many shots, he does fight hard. he has clawed out many matches were his opponent is playing the better tennis. yes his serve helps him out with it, but theres a real determination in him. for me that fight and determination was what got him so close in the wimbledon final last year.

abraxas21
01-25-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm a chilean and I was of course rooting for Gonzo, not only because he is my countryman but also because I really dislike roddick.

However, in objectivity's sake, molina's call was correct. Why? Because Gonzo didn't play the ball. He could have played it but decided not to, in spite of the fact that the line judge's call came after, naturally.

abraxas21
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Gonzo has himself to thank for blowing a 40-0 lead, regardless of what was later to come (and regardless of whether or not the ump's decision was correct), but I still feel bad for him, as it really screwed up his concentration. The 5th set was an antimclimax to an otherwise entertaining match. Maybe Gonzo can find some consolation in Federer's famous words from last week's exho? After all, "Hawkeye doesn't work anyway."

yes, you're right. he blew that 40-0 lead away. However, I was pretty sure Roddick was going to win the eventual tiebreak anyway. He was playing better and Gonzo was missing too many balls. In fact, Roddick was about to break Gonzo's serve in like 6 occassions in that set alone. Only a really strange course of events would have led to Gonzo winning the tiebreak and ergo the match.

The fifht set was a formality that we all knew how it was going to end. Roddick was playing better and on top of that he was also better mentally and phyisically speaking than Gonzo.

Mimi
01-25-2010, 03:34 AM
why the empire did not let the last point of the 4th set replayed since the line judge called out, its natural that Gonzo did not hit the ball back?:confused:. Roddick should treat that empire with dinner:eek::p

Deboogle!.
01-25-2010, 03:47 AM
why the empire did not let the last point of the 4th set replayed since the line judge called out, its natural that Gonzo did not hit the ball back?:confused:. Roddick should treat that empire with dinner:eek::p
As has been explained several times in this thread, the umpire didn't have the point replayed because he saw that Gonzo STOPPED playing before the out call. If the call had just been in in the first place, Gonzo would've lost the point, no reason for a different outcome if the line call is wrong :lol:

zoparrat
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Gonzo lost this match because he didn't break Roddick early on in the 4th set. He was outplaying Roddick completely from the baseline, had the momentum completely going with him. On the other side of the net, Roddick had doubts crawling in his mind and was checking his tweaked knee every now and then. That's the time to finish the guy. Instead gonzo fools around and gets to 5-6. Then he fools around again to blow 40-0. Even if he didn't, the match was more than likely going to a fifth set with the tie-break. After that it's fifth set again and Roddick looked like spring chicken compared to a tired looking gonzo at that point.

Mjordan23
01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Gonzo lost this match because he didn't break Roddick early on in the 4th set. He was outplaying Roddick completely from the baseline, had the momentum completely going with him. On the other side of the net, Roddick had doubts crawling in his mind and was checking his tweaked knee every now and then. That's the time to finish the guy. Instead gonzo fools around and gets to 5-6. Then he fools around again to blow 40-0. Even if he didn't, the match was more than likely going to a fifth set with the tie-break. After that it's fifth set again and Roddick looked like spring chicken compared to a tired looking gonzo at that point.

Wrong. Roddick held serve much easier than Gonzo. Roddick was actually close to breaking in many of Gonzo`s service games, it was just that Gonzo kept acing, playing a great forehand winner or Roddick wasting good chances at breakpoints and that kept the 4th set going so long. Roddick was clearly the better player even though Gonzo was more spectacular...

Roddickominator
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Wrong. Roddick held serve much easier than Gonzo. Roddick was actually close to breaking in many of Gonzo`s service games, it was just that Gonzo kept acing, playing a great forehand winner or Roddick wasting good chances at breakpoints and that kept the 4th set going so long. Roddick was clearly the better player even though Gonzo was more spectacular...

Pretty much. Every time Roddick got a break point, Gonzo would hit the serve out wide that Roddick had no answer for all night....and he'd just maul a forehand or backhand for a winner. It was clutch play from Gonzalez.