Roddick vs Sampras [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick vs Sampras

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 03:18 PM
I've been on this board basically from its inception, and don't recall Pete having the same poster animosity that Roddick brings.

However, they have several similarities:

1. Pete was a serve and a forehand. So is Roddick.
2. Pete could not play consistantly well on clay. Same with Roddick.

Ok, granted Pete could work both the baseline and the net. His demeanor is quiet, like Roger's. Roddick is like a racquet-wielding Justin Timberlake.

Both put me to sleep, yet some like Pete more than Roddick and vice versa.

Why do you feel the way you do?

tennischick
09-04-2004, 03:38 PM
i dislike 'em both for reasons not included in your list. i dislike any player that the ATP/USTA anoints as the one to be focused on by the media and made into a "star". i dislike them even more when they start to buy into it and end up becoming arrogant pricks. i hate being force fed an endless diet of one of two players when there are so many other talented options around. and i dislike these players when they buy into their own hype and start behaving like king dicks.

as for their games, i do not enjoy watching one. their tennis is an interesting to watch as dish water.

but that's just my opinion. ;)

WyveN
09-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Although both had their serve as their main weapon Sampras's game was far more well rounded and "pretty" to watch. For me it is a shame that Sampras's serve was so dominating because it overshadowed other aspects of his game and allowed Pete to develop a formulated approach to his game which was a shame as he could do anything.

Their personalities were very different as well.

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 03:45 PM
i dislike 'em both for reasons not included in your list. i dislike any player that the ATP/USTA anoints as the one to be focused on by the media and made into a "star". i dislike them even more when they start to buy into it and end up becoming arrogant pricks. i hate being force fed an endless diet of one of two players when there are so many other talented options around. and i dislike these players when they buy into their own hype and start behaving like king dicks.

as for their games, i do not enjoy watching one. their tennis is an interesting to watch as dish water.

but that's just my opinion. ;)

TC, I was about to make a joke about anyone beating you to the first answer.

tennischick
09-04-2004, 03:56 PM
TC, I was about to make a joke about anyone beating you to the first answer.
LOL! i'm only here bec i stayed up waaaay too late last nite and couldn't get up this morning for my spinn class. i have an hour or so to kill before i go do my hair so i figured wtf, lemme see what the natives have been up to. and there was this trap waiting for me. :devil:

Bibir
09-04-2004, 04:11 PM
There are few but not so many similarities between Pete and Andy...I really don't compare them in terms of game or personnality....

Concerning the animosity...I think Andy haters can't stand the whole package...the game...the personnality...the mediatisation...poor thing!!! ;)

Just a question...as I 'm new on this forum...Is the small MTF really representative of something??

fisher12190
09-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Pete and Roddick are very similiar but there are some differences...

Pete could volley.

Pete serve wasn't based on TOTAL RAW POWER like andy Roddick is was more about placement. He had power but not like Andy. He mixed up his serve better than anyone else.

Pete was quiet and let the tennis do the talking... Roddick is loud mouth who doesn't STFU.

Similarities...

Both are american.

Both have ugly girlfriends/wifes.

Both relied on the serve(more so andy than pete)

Both sucked on clay and hate roland garros.

Both have horrid backhands.

Both overuse and relyed on the forehand(more so andy than pete), since pete could volley.

Pete was more complete with his volley abilities... If he had a backhand there would be no dispute that he would be the greatest of all time.

Jem
09-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Concerning the animosity...I think Andy haters can't stand the whole package...the game...the personnality...the mediatisation...poor thing!!! ;)

You've hit the nail on the head; there's a lot of jealousy of Roddick. He's got a great game, a decent personality, which, of course, means a lot of people can't stand his success. I'm hoping he repeats at the Open.

Goenitz_196
09-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Good thing that Pete beat Andy in their last ever meet, which was the 2002 USOPEN.

star
09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
hmm Tennis Fool/Puppydog starting yet ANOTHER thread discussing Andy. There is simply no end to his obsession. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really could not bear to watch Sampras by the end of his career. He was so personally disgusting to me. :)

I like Andy's personality..... not so much on the court as I do off the court. I like his happy outgoing attitude. I hope he doesn't lose it. I like the way he makes room in his life for family and friends, and how he is modest about his accomplishments. I also like it that he has a quick wit and is gracious in victory and in loss.

Although (grumble grumble grumble), I wish he would take off his hat at the net like Lleyton does. :(

Goenitz_196
09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I really could not bear to watch Sampras by the end of his career. He was so personally disgusting to me. :)

Wow. Did he brake his rackets? Did he John McEnroe his umpires? Did he have Safin/Roddick strops when things aren't going his way? Did he yell out all the time? Did he disrespect his opponents?

And theres me thinking it's the tennis that counts.

fisher12190
09-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I really could not bear to watch Sampras by the end of his career. He was so personally disgusting to me.

You are not a teenie bopper but you sure act like one.

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 09:24 PM
hmm Tennis Fool/Puppydog
Hey Starfuck, if you don't like the thread, ignore it.

And I don't want to hear anymore about your torturing animals. Those posts are just sick.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 09:31 PM
A hard choice as I don't like either very much, but if there has to be a choice it would be Sampras mainly due to the fact he was able to win everywhere, unlike Roddick and even though Sampras wasn't great on clay at least he won a TMS event on the surface, and Pete had an all-round game that Roddick could only dream off

Personality wise are pricks, but in differing ways. At least Sampras has the respect of most genuine tennis fans through his achievements whether they liked him or not, something I don't see happening to Roddick for a long time.

RoddickBabe10
09-04-2004, 11:36 PM
I am a big fan of both guys. And IMO, both Andy and Pete have SOME similarities, as the ones Tennis Fool had posted.

The difference between these two, though, based on emotion, is Andy is more like a Safin or Hewitt and Pete is someone like Federer. Pete also has a better bh and volley. I love both guys, very interesting and are fun to watch. :)

Both have ugly girlfriends/wifes.
:haha: Somehow, I agree with you. (except Mandy was gorgeous)

croat123
09-04-2004, 11:39 PM
here's the difference:

duckboy's the biggest asshole on tour...ever
pete was cool, not a favorite of mine, but at least he wasn't an egocentric freak

MisterQ
09-05-2004, 06:03 AM
I prefer Roddick because he lets Andre beat him more often... :lol: ;)

Dirk
09-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Pete did have a great backhand but it did slide off the weapon list later in his career.

RonE
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Apples and oranges.

Lalitha
09-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I've been on this board basically from its inception, and don't recall Pete having the same poster animosity that Roddick brings.

Why do you feel the way you do?

Your join date says "Sept 2002" and that was the last time Pete picked up a racquet. So, there would'nt have been much of Pete talk and animosity towards him, just like Andy has.

*Ljubica*
09-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Although both had their serve as their main weapon Sampras's game was far more well rounded and "pretty" to watch. For me it is a shame that Sampras's serve was so dominating because it overshadowed other aspects of his game and allowed Pete to develop a formulated approach to his game which was a shame as he could do anything.

Their personalities were very different as well.

I would agree. And as Marc says, Pete did better on clay than Roddick and had an all-round game that Duckboy could only dream of. And also - putting it bluntly - Pete was a gentleman on and off the court, and Duckboy is not :devil: Even though Pete was never a particular favourite of mine, I respected him for his class and demeanour, the way he treated other people around him, and the way he behaved on court, but sorry - I have no respect for the other one - not one iota! Oh - and before some Roddick troll steps in and makes a comment here - I know David can behave like an idiot on court sometimes too and I don't defend him - but this thread is about Roddick/Sampras - not about any other player I may or may not personally like :)