AO RD3 - Nadal edges Kohlschreiber 6-4, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO RD3 - Nadal edges Kohlschreiber 6-4, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5

HKz
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Close match. 7 break point chances for Philipp in the first set, could not convert. Finally took him till the 3rd set to convert a break point. He made some crucial mistakes in the 4th, and had some more opportunities to really extend his lead and take the match into a 5th at the least. However, some poor tactical decisions gave Nadal the win in the end.

Aside from the 3rd set, the match was MUCH closer than the scoreline suggests. Personally, I thought it should of been a 5 setter, especially with how many chances Philipp had. Nadal almost seemed scared at times to let Philipp attack his second serve.

orangehat
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Kohli :yeah:

Good performance after shaky opening start to the year.
Needs to start avoiding these 3rd rounds with Nadal/Federer in the draw though :rolleyes:

fabolous
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM
nadal was beatable today.

freeandlonely
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM
:zzz:

brithater
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Good test for Rafa. Well played match by Phillip,competed well. Not sure what was up with Rafa tonight. Lapses in focus, unreliable forehand and passing shots, very one dimesional. Didnt look to take the net away from Kholschrieber at all and played a clay court match basically. Didnt mix in any slice or off speed shots. Very different from last year.

Sri
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Rafa did enough. His forehand looked very loopy though. :-/

DartMarcus
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Always nice to see Nadal losing a set.

green25814
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Good test for Rafa. Well played match by Phillip,competed well. Not sure what was up with Rafa tonight. Lapses in focus, unreliable forehand and passing shots, very one dimesional. Didnt look to take the net away from Kholschrieber at all and played a clay court match basically. Didnt mix in any slice or off speed shots. Very different from last year.

Same as always then.

HKz
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Not for rafawon09usopen/rafawonCYGS apparently

Surcouf
01-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Nadal was horrible today and Kohlschreiber did not even play well. Nadal is sloppy, looks not motivated and has lost almost all he had in the shotmaking department.

Nadal is in his end of last year form, not at a good level right now. I tought that the winter break would have done well for him but no, he is maybe done.

Ad Wim
01-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Not really convincing again. Kohli the same as usual, giving the big guys a tough time, but never winning.

Lopez
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Kohlschreiber played tactically well most of the time, attacking the net and playing courageously. Big letdown at the end of the fourth. Nadal was bad in the thrid and at the start of the fourth, the forehand was especially dire. Kohlschreiber should've played those break points at the start of the fourth a bit more conservatively because Nadal was making uncharacteristic mistakes.

The end was expected, Nadal raising his game when needed. Karlovic next, nice matchup!

thedesertsun
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh, what a trash match to come... Nadal against Karlovic in a slam - oh dear :lol:

alter ego
01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Clasical high seed vs lower seed match. Both guys had their chances the better ranked player took more of them. Kholi brainfarted at 1-0 in the 4th set. Had 3 bp and momentum on his side. The 2 nd bp was a complete fail. Nadal hit a slow 2nd serve down the middle, Kholi wanted to kill the ball and hit it 3 m outside the court.

Voo de Mar
Kohli the same as usual, giving the big guys a tough time, but never winning.

Kohli beat Roddick in Melbourne 2 years ago, and Djokovic last year in Paris.

Kolya
Kohli... missing something to be a top 10 player...

Showed tonight.

green25814
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Kohlschreiber played tactically well most of the time, attacking the net and playing courageously. Big letdown at the end of the fourth. Nadal was bad in the thrid and at the start of the fourth, the forehand was especially dire. Kohlschreiber should've played those break points at the start of the fourth a bit more conservatively because Nadal was making uncharacteristic mistakes.

The end was expected, Nadal raising his game when needed. Karlovic next, nice matchup!

Eh? Kohly didn't attack the net nearly enough. I lost count of the times he stayed back and netted short balls going for too much.

Essentially Nadal won the points which mattered and thats it.

HKz
Not really convincing again. Kohli the same as usual, giving the big guys a tough time, but never winning.

Kohlschreiber def. Roddick 6–4, 3–6, 7–6(9), 6–7(3), 8–6 (Australian Open 2008)
Kohlschreiber def. Djokovic 6–4, 6–4, 6–4 (French Open 2009)

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Eh? Kohly didn't attack the net nearly enough. I lost count of the times he stayed back and netted short balls going for too much.

I believe Philipp won like somewhere around 25 out of 45 net points.

Andi-M

RG 09 :p

No Rafa didn't play his best but Kohli played really well, it was a good match.
I am very interested to see how Rafa shapes up in the next round.

serveandvolley80
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Showed tonight.

Wrong technique and grip in his return position, honestly that messes him up big time.

green25814
01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Kohlschreiber def. Roddick 6–4, 3–6, 7–6(9), 6–7(3), 8–6 (Australian Open 2008)

I believe Philipp won like somewhere around 25 out of 45 net points.

Thats shit considering how many looping high balls rafa gave him. Its so annoying seeing these mugs stay back.

HKz
Wrong technique and grip in his return position, honestly that messes him up big time.

...That isn't it. It is his mental game Sherlock. Does not winning a single BP in a set when you have 7 mean nothing to you? It doesn't have anything to do with his form/technique/grip, he gets tight and doesn't get up to the ball as well as he can in big situations.

Thats shit considering how many looping high balls rafa gave him. Its so annoying seeing these mugs stay back.

Well I wasn't judging, just saying the stat :p but there were a couple occasions, especially on break point chances where Philipp could of snuck in and took the ball in the air.

freeandlonely

Not at all. It's only nice to see him losing a match. Otherwise I would like to see him win in straight, less boring time.

Yves.
01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Nadal is not impressing me.

Lopez
01-22-2010, 11:38 AM

He did more than usual for his game IMO. Sure, should've killed those junkball forehands in the fourth.

The tactic is simple, pound the forehand, wait for the short ball, make Nadal run for the passing shot, cover the line.

alter ego
01-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Also he just can't put the low balls that fall short back in play. I think he made +10 very easy UES with his FH from that position. I couldn't understant why Nadal didn't slice more. He did a couple of times and got a break as a reward.

HKz
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
He did more than usual for his game IMO. Sure, should've killed those junkball forehands in the fourth.

The tactic is simple, pound the forehand, wait for the short ball, make Nadal run for the passing shot, cover the line.

A whole lot easier said than done.

serveandvolley80
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
...That isn't it. It is his mental game Sherlock. Does not winning a single BP in a set when you have 7 mean nothing to you? It doesn't have anything to do with his form/technique/grip, he gets tight and doesn't get up to the ball as well as he can in big situations.

Well since i am sherlock, thanks i will figure it out for you since you stole my idea to be a condescending prick. Nadal does this to every player when it comes to break point chances and taking them away, he takes a long time and takes a player out of his rhythm, and its what he does after the serve that makes a big difference, the guy just has a way of taking away break chances. Surely you have watched him enough to know this.

Lopez
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
A whole lot easier said than done.

Goes without saying...

TennisOnWood
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice victory in ATP match number 500

Now lets crash Ivo

HKz
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Well since i am sherlock, thanks i will figure it out for you since you stole my idea to be a condescending prick. Nadal does this to every player when it comes to break point chances and taking them away, he takes a long time and takes a player out of his rhythm, and its what he does after the serve that makes a big difference, the guy just has a way of taking away break chances. Surely you have watched him enough to know this.

Then what does anything you just wrote right now have to do with Philipp's technique/grip/etc?

green25814
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Obviously, but the problem with Kohlshcreiber (and other similar players v rafa) is that they take too long to come in. Perhaps they're scared of being passed, or aren't being coached properly, but the pattern is more like this. Rafa loops a forehand, kohli seems about to move in, then stays back to hit a groundstroke. This gives Rafa an oppurtunity to retrieve, and since a player like kohli has a talented yet fragile groundgame, inevitably they miss. Only a Nalbandian or Davydenko can really get away with this sort of tactic, anyone else should just come in.

If rafa had played in an era of volleyers, he'd be slaughtered (except perhaps on clay).

Erica86
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Nadal played his worst match this year, and he still won. He is very good, no?

HKz
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Nadal played his worst match this year, and he still won. He is very good, no?

You say it as if this never happens to any professional sports player and Nadal is practically a God for winning.

green25814
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
That was more like the average nadal match for the year so far. And I see no signs of him improving.

CooCooCachoo
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Kohli :sobbing: :hug:

MurrayFan1
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Very enjoyable match this.

And THAT point at the net with the amazing volleys where Nadal won was so good!

Voo de Mar
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Luck in the draw of the Majors is a factor... Schuettler for example got a walkover from Safin in Melbourne 2003 (Safin was one of the biggest contenders for the title then) and played against mentally exhausted Roddick in the semis (after his 21-19 over El Ayynaoui in QF). In the final was devasteted by Agassi but that tournament allowed him to advance to the Top 10.

madmax
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Lucky Nadull slips through once again...too bad he is gonna get roasted in the next round or finished by Mugray in the quarters

Björki
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Rafa :dance:

ossie
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
oh my god rafa you sexy beast dont scare us like that again :smash:

hmm really strange match (from rafas perspective) he was playing bad from the beginning of the match even during the first two sets which he won. he was playing the same way like before against davydenko en delpotro usopen like he wants to end the point early, go for the kill. but then in the beginning of the 4th set i believe he started playing like he used to before injury(keep the ball in play as long as possible). he even made the same noises as before. makes we wonder why he didnt do this before one would almost think hes getting instructions not to play like that (his natural style) anyways even though it was a bad match for rafa im still hopeful and believe he can win ao. vamos!

-Valhalla-
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Another good sparring session for the champ.

Certinfy
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Kohli :worship: Nice try :yeah:

vamosinator
01-22-2010, 12:16 PM
This is the best passing shot form I've seen from Nadal since last year's Australian Open :yeah: brilliant.

gorgo1986
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
It was a good match for Rafa, he needed this early test to see where exactly he is and what he needs to do out there. This match should give him some confidence and wake his ass up. Ivo is gonna be tough but if Rafa, gets trough him, he is making the finals. Andy Murray is not looking very impressive IMO and Juan Del Potro is both fatigued and injured. Rafa has a great chance to win this slam or at least make the finals.

foul_dwimmerlaik
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
He did beat Djokovic at the French, however.

Very patchy performance by Nadal, apart from several nice passing shots, in the last 2 sets (all that saw), he was pretty much back to his end of last year form. Shots barely clearing the service line.

-Valhalla-
01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
This is the best passing shot form I've seen from Nadal since last year's Australian Open :yeah: brilliant.

The around the netpost hookshot for a clean winner? Yeah, that was pretty impressive.

vamosinator
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Not just the hookshot, i mean in general, he's timing his shots a lot better this year well enough to win this event.

Sophocles
01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Some great shots along with some surprising errors. Overall a decent result against a dangerous opponent. If Nadal can cut out the errors he will be hard to beat.

lazybear
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Really uncharacteristic errors from Nadal, and was way too short in most of the match. I don't think even his passing game was especially good today. He made two or three unbelievable passing shots, but Kohlscreiber won a fair share of points at the net. That wouldn't cut it against Murray, but i guess he knows that, and will try to do something about it.

Mjau!
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Nadal struggling vs a midget with a 1hbh is not a good sign.

ossie
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Nadal struggling vs a midget with a 1hbh is not a good sign.kohlschreiber played really well

FairWeatherFan
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Nadal will be out of the top ten within 2 years IMO.

Speed of Light
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Rafa well played.
Kohli straight setted Djoke at one of his favourite surfaces in FO,he also took out Duck 8-6 in the fifth set here at AO years ago. A good player with a good backhand this Kohli, provided a good test for Rafa. But as usual Rafa was just mentally and game-wise too good for him. Rafa created so much pressure that it cracked down Kohli.
Now onto the 4th round were again the worst thing that can happen is a loss of one set (and that too in a tie-breaker) against the Doc. QF versus Muggay will be interesting, i hope Rafa plays well and trashes that pusher.

tangerine_dream
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
:banana:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1716/610xsh.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/610xsh.jpg/)

Aenea
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Rafa :woohoo:

I was really nervous about this match. Phil is a good player and has taken out top players in Slams before so I wouldn't consider him an easy opponent. Glad that Rafa made it through though losing a set. Yes, at times he didn't play well, looked distracted lost his lead in the 4th but pulled himself together to close the match avoiding a TB. Hope he will raise his game for the upcoming matches though.

Mechlan
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Unless Nadal lifts his game, how far he goes in this tournament will depend on who he plays. Someone with a better match-up and better big-point delivery would have beaten Nadal today.

Well played by Kohlschreiber, except for all those missed chances in the first set. Some were atrocious misses, just couldn't catch on that Nadal kept it to his forehand serving BP down.

R16 against Karlovic should be fairly routine, looking forward to the QF against Murray.

LaFuria
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM

2 years? That's rather generous, no?

Logical
01-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Frauderertards want Hitman Nadal to lose early. Desperate to avoid another nightmarish final for their God. :( Vamos Rafa. :worship:

LaFuria
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Frauderertards want Hitman Nadal to lose early. Desperate to avoid another nightmarish final for their God. :( Vamos Rafa. :worship:

Too bad neither of them are going to win the Australian Open.

Arkulari
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
This is not the same Rafa who won the AO last year, the timing in his shots isn't as good as it used to be

He does make great shots once in a while, but it wasn't the same level of his early 09 campaign

That said: good victory, Kohli likes the upsets and is always a dangerous opponent

tangerine_dream
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
What a shot. :worship:

piFB6EcC26s

ballbasher101
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Nadal is not playing well. Some of his passing shots were genius but that will not be enough to win the whole thing.

siloe26
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Dear Rafa, you will have to play better next time. Slow start and the third set was awful. Some nice shots though. Good luck for the the next match. :hug:

Orysbestos
01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Nadal was horrible today and Kohlschreiber did not even play well. Nadal is sloppy, looks not motivated and has lost almost all he had in the shotmaking department.

Nadal is in his end of last year form, not at a good level right now. I tought that the winter break would have done well for him but no, he is maybe done.

Mark my words, honey, he will regain form.

Vida
01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
aye, this was a fine match. not one of rafa's best but I did enjoy it. its the quality you get when watching someone you know will never fold no matter what his mood is. that said, Kohli - had no chance.... it could've lasted 5 hours he couldn't have won it with that bloke on the other side...

after davydenko, rafa is my second pick for the whole thing.

RedFury
01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
For the most part a lackluster match from Rafa. His forehand, in particular, was as much of a liability as a strength throughout the match -- way too many mistakes from that wing even if, at the end, it was the side that won it for him. Backhand much more solid as far as pace and reliability although too predictable in the cross-court pattern. IIRC, it wasn't until the deciding set that he got a down the line winner off of it.

Having said that, he did manage to win against a potential spoiler (see re: Roddick, Djokovic in posts above) on what I hope was simply an off-day from him. Because if it wasn't he won't be around for much longer -- that kind of play simply won't hold up against the Murrays, DPs or even Cilic.

Obviously he knows this better than anyone, and his rather blase remarks at the presser don't give much of an optimistic outlook beyond Karlovic...of course, it wouldn't be the first time Rafa plays a bit of cat & mouse in a Slam.

Macbrother
01-22-2010, 10:19 PM
This is not the same Rafa who won the AO last year, the timing in his shots isn't as good as it used to be

He does make great shots once in a while, but it wasn't the same level of his early 09 campaign

That said: good victory, Kohli likes the upsets and is always a dangerous opponent

I heard Rafa walked on water last year too.

muchu
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
the shot was not passed above the net? what's the rule regarding that?

MatchFederer
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
This was an interesting match though psychological Nadal seemed unable to sustain his relatively positive 'hardcourt' play and reverted to some kind of outmuscling approach when he became more unsure of himself in the 3rd and 4th sets.

Khoolaid seemed to have have full clarity of thought when he had Nadal on the ropes. Nadal was starting to net forehands when stretched out on the forehand side and he failed to really take full advantage of this. He also went for too much when it was clear that Nadal was struggling; he should have been more conservative but perhaps feared of getting ambushed.

Eventually Kohlschreiber did start pulling Nadal out wide with sharp CC and DTL shots and instead of flailing at midcourt forehand would foray to the net and make the smart play. He should have done more of this, clearly.

The other big mistake he made was constantly engaging in semi-neautral rallies down the valley of court middle with Nadal, but failing to be the first to pull the trigger too often on actually swinging a ball either considerably further outwide or DTL. This led to many rallies where Nadal had a very slight edge and was able to repeatedly slightly wrongfoot his opponent.

Nadal still isn't quite there but I reckon this was a good match for him. Despite Kohlschreiber's solid albeit caught in the headlights play it seemed a bit weird to me how Nadal was psychologically inconsistent and torn between tendencies(?).

Anyway, onwards and upwards for Rafa.

:cool:

brithater
01-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Classy and honest presser from Nadal as usual. He was very kind to some rediculous questions. Rios would have walked out.

-Valhalla-
01-23-2010, 03:52 AM

"The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long."
- Blade Runner

brithater
01-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Not unless he gets injured a lot and cant play. Not a fanboy but he is the most mentally tough players this game has ever had. At least since the 70s he is. 60s I did not see much. Champions like Nadal will always be a factor if healthy.

swebright
01-23-2010, 04:16 AM
He reminds me of Soderling. I saw first two set and somehow thought this guy might have a chance. Soder coaching him??