AO 3R: John Isner defeats Gael Monfils 6-1 4-6 7-6 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO 3R: John Isner defeats Gael Monfils 6-1 4-6 7-6 7-6

rocketassist
01-22-2010, 07:45 AM
John you fucking animal :yeah: :woohoo:

As clutch as any top player. Just needed the one chance to crack the FH in the TB and that was that.

Nice fourth round contest too. Two faves :dance:

jonathancrane
01-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Yesssssssssssss
Brave man this John :worship:

freeandlonely
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
good result

philosophicalarf
Not bad in 35+C heat, you'd have to figure Isner would suffer in that.

TMJordan
Amazing how this clown Monfils has no gameplan against this all serve freak. I can't beleive Isner just won't lose. AO 2010 is his.

Ivanatis
vPaBkuGR_6s

Clydey
Solid stuff from Isner. He'll pose problems for Murray. Has the game to trouble anyone. Potential upset here.

scoobs
01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
ahh Monf. C'est la vie, c'est la vie. C'est bad for you, c'est good for me :)

shadows
01-22-2010, 07:48 AM
*sigh*

Guga_fan
01-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Solid stuff from Isner. He'll pose problems for Murray. Has the game to trouble anyone. Potential upset here.
I doubt, Murray is a smart player and Isner's bad mobility will be exploited a lot. Besides, Murray will be able to handle Isner's serve.

Ad Wim
01-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Two amazing TBs won him the match. The rest was actually pretty bad, the worst I've seen him play in weeks. Monfils was just pretty bad as well. Began playing well in the end of the 4th.

Good to see that Isner really came in to get the win in the 2nd TB, attacking on Monfils' last service points.

Clydey
I doubt, Murray is a smart player and Isner's bad mobility will be exploited a lot. Besides, Murray will be able to handle Isner's serve.

Isner will gobble up Murray's short forehand and his second serve. That's where the danger lies. Plus, he has lapses and drops serve. He can't afford to do that.

brithater
If John can keep this form through the year Boyton should get coach of the year. Isner was becoming a doubles only player. Now he is becomeing dangerous, smart, and mentally tuff as nails. Best serving I have seen in 2 years from John in that fourth set.

The way Murray is serving (worst serve in the top 20 IMO) Isner may give him some trouble.

FlameOn
01-22-2010, 07:53 AM
8 match streak for John. :D

DartMarcus
01-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Average match, but always great play by John in deciding points! The last TB was enjoyable to watch :)
The most important point of the match must have been 6-1 4-6 5-6 SP Monfils, when John aced on 2nd serve :eek:
John is too good on TB. :worship:

CooCooCachoo
01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Too bad one of them had to win. Don't enjoy these guys playing at all. Low and behold, I might actually want Murray to win a match now :lol:

Still, great form from Isner. Kudos to him.

Stensland
01-22-2010, 07:55 AM
...setting up a r4 match i have no interested in at all now. thanks for that, non-talent.

Voo de Mar
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Never in doubt with TB-killer Isner.

sammy01
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
picked the upset for big john, hes on a roll might be very tough for murray

martinatreue
01-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Wow...I love Isner's game. He just cuts through all BS crap from Monfils. All that retarded jumping around like Capriati at age 14 when John was serving. Monfils is such a weird combination of a pusher and occasional ballbasher. Most of all, this win is IMPORTANT FOR TENNIS... Douchebags like Monfils need to fall to great offensive players like John. :)

Mechlan
01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Clutch from both as it got tight, high quality stuff after some pretty raw play earlier. Great atmosphere out there too. Isner is like Karlovic except clutch in tiebreaks. Scary thought if he can improve his ground game and mobility some.

I see Murray taking the next match comfortably and exploiting Isner's weaknesses, but if Isner serves well, he can certainly make things interesting, especially if they go to tiebreaks.

Deivid23
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Too easy and expected

Mĺnu
01-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Gael gave John the momentum back when he allowed him to break back in the third with a DF... otherwise not a great match

-Valhalla-
01-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Great match and with plenty of drama. Izzy's game has improved by leaps and bounds and I look for him to break the top 10 this year. He's an intelligent player with lots of heart [always a deadly combination] and he's CLUTCH on the big points :yeah:

Certinfy
01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Isner :D

Monfils :hug:

Fensler
01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
-Nice win for Isner. Like others have mentioned, his mental strength was on full display again, especially on serve in the tiebreaks. Also, his court coverage and groundstrokes have improved considerably over the last year or so, even if they're far from ideal. In general, I'd rather watch an Isner match than a Karlovic match.

-Monfils could've/should've really worn Isner down and put him away in the third set, but his own tactics (and theatrics), coupled with Isner's fortitude, prevented him from doing so. Murray, on the other hand, is much more apt to expose Isner's flaws and run him off of the court.

-The Eurosport announcers were rather reserved in their commentary. This was a welcome contrast to the persistent dialogue present during many other tennis broadcasts.

-Some of the screams/shouts coming from Monfils and his cheering sections were reminiscent of the battle cries of Middle-earth orcs. Or at least they sounded that way on the livestream. I kept waiting for poorly aimed arrows to fly past Isner's head.

dombrfc
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Bleh. Typical.

DartMarcus
01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
-Nice win for Isner. Like others have mentioned, his mental strength was on full display again, especially on serve in the tiebreaks. Also, his court coverage and groundstrokes have improved considerably over the last year or so, even if they're far from ideal. In general, I'd rather watch an Isner match than a Karlovic match.

-Monfils could've/should've really worn Isner down and put him away in the third set, but his own tactics (and theatrics), coupled with Isner's fortitude, prevented him from doing so. Murray, on the other hand, is much more apt to expose Isner's flaws and run him off of the court.

-The Eurosport announcers were rather reserved in their commentary. This was a welcome contrast to the persistent dialogue present during many other tennis broadcasts.

-Some of the screams/shouts coming from Monfils and his cheering sections were reminiscent of the battle cries of Middle-earth orcs. Or at least they sounded that way on the livestream. I kept waiting for poorly aimed arrows to fly past Isner's head.
Great review! Agree with everything :)

TeamID
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Isner's ace on match point was out...

General Suburbia
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Isner's ace on match point was out...
So did Monfils, but he didn't argue really with the call. If he won the 4th set, do you think he could've taken it?

Corey Feldman
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
still too much pushing by Gael

you just dont get away with it in tie breaks v monsters like this

he'll need to learn

cobalt60
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Alright John boy!

SaFed2005
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Isner's second serve on the ad side kicking out wide is RIDICULOUS!!!!
They are so lethal that even when Monfils guess right they kicked up over his head...

That serve is so sick it should be banned. I almost felt like Isner was holding back on those serves and only used them during crutial points!

jcempire
01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Great play in TB....for ISner

next come to Murray.....Un-oh... tougest match so far for Isner.....

River
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
If Roddick retires in the far future, I think it'll be okay to put Isner as the best american afterwards. While the USA seems to be producing more hard-servers than point-construction workers, Isner seems to carry himself much better. He has good clean groundstrokes, wide wingspan for volleys and an awesome serve.

Jimnik
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Glad to see Isner come through this and consolidate his excellent form. He was outstanding when he made a name for himself at the Open last year. But this is the breakthrough he needed outside the US to prove he can be a threat anywhere.

Maybe there's hope for USA's Davis Cup team after-all.

selyoink
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Horrendous from Mugfils.

There are few worse match ups than Isner v. Murray. Can't believe I have to hope Murray wins to send the disgraceful freak out of the tournament.

dombrfc
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Too much pushing Monf :(

tangerine_dream
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Johnny on a roll now. You can't touch this.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2hows5w.jpg

brithater
01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Glad to see Isner come through this and consolidate his excellent form. He was outstanding when he made a name for himself at the Open last year. But this is the breakthrough he needed outside the US to prove he can be a threat anywhere.

Maybe there's hope for USA's Davis Cup team after-all.

Isner ...the best American Tennis Player. We are in serious trouble. I like John but lets not put unreal expectations on the boy. I think we should just enjoy him for what he is and hope he lests a full career. His body type is going to be extremely injury prone. Narrow hips, wide shoulders, long legs, and a short trunk make him extremely fragile. He does not have an athletic body like Ivo or Delpo. He is kind of like a growth spirt that never filled out. Just appreciate the time we have with him because its a first in professional tennis.

Tommy_Vercetti
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
He did much more in less than a week than "prodigy" Don Young did in six years. That's why I like him. That being said, he can get beat by anyone and can only win if they play badly enough.

Jimnik
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Isner ...the best American Tennis Player. We are in serious trouble. I like John but lets not put unreal expectations on the boy. I think we should just enjoy him for what he is and hope he lests a full career. His body type is going to be extremely injury prone. Narrow hips, wide shoulders, long legs, and a short trunk make him extremely fragile. He does not have an athletic body like Ivo or Delpo. He is kind of like a growth spirt that never filled out. Just appreciate the time we have with him because its a first in professional tennis.
Obviously he's not America's best (yet), the rankings don't lie. But his chances are good considering he hasn't reached peak and he's already nearly top 20. As for injuries, it will largely depend on style of play and the schedule he chooses.

Orka_n
01-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Yay, I called it.
Nice work, Johnny boy. Now destroy Murray.

ChinoRios4Ever
01-22-2010, 07:16 PM
clutch this Isner :yeah:

martinatreue
01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
clutch this Isner :yeah:

John plays big man tennis... Hate on it if you want but Monfils plays like friggin' clement and yet has a big man build. Win the point and move on to the next. Not everyone needs to "work the point to death" like Rafalalala Pocahontas. :devil:

moon language
01-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Some of Isner's forehands were ridiculous and he seems to be moving decently. I didn't think he'd ever play this well.

Jōris
01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Good.

TMJordan
01-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Monfils is a clown.

L James
01-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Well done John :yeah: :yeah: