AO Rd3: Murray beats Serra 7-5,6-1,6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO Rd3: Murray beats Serra 7-5,6-1,6-4

Knightmace
01-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Murray marches on, Serra was funny:banana:

next opponent is either Monfils or Isner

Clydey
01-22-2010, 06:42 AM
66 winners and 26 UEs from Murray. Excellent performance.

Arhaych
01-22-2010, 06:43 AM
We can only pray that Serra recovers from that horrific elbow injury - there were women and children in tears at the sight of the unbridled agony. :(

Ad Wim
01-22-2010, 06:43 AM
This must be the easiest draw for the first 3 rounds in Grand Slam history. Could be dangerous that he isn't tested yet when he meets Nadal in quarters.

Arhaych
01-22-2010, 06:44 AM
66 winners and 26 UEs from Murray. Excellent performance.

It was 49 W, you noobzorz.

Halba
01-22-2010, 06:48 AM
This must be the easiest draw for the first 3 rounds in Grand Slam history. Could be dangerous that he isn't tested yet when he meets Nadal in quarters.

agreed. but murray is hitting the ball pretty well. over 50 winning shots. lots of aces. and you want to be doing that against rafa

McAlistar
01-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Only worry is everytime hes in complete command he loses concentration and makes stupid errors. This could have so easily been something like 6-2,6-1,6-1

Clydey

Not if you include aces, which the livescore stats do, noobzorz.

scoobs
Was good enough - I don't think we've seen anywhere near Andy's best yet except for brief flashes, but he hasn't needed it, it's been a cakewalk three rounds.

I don't see him finding R4 that easy though, so it's time his level came up from here on out if he has ambitions of a good run at this tournament.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Was good enough - I don't think we've seen anywhere near Andy's best yet except for brief flashes, but he hasn't needed it, it's been a cakewalk three rounds.

I don't see him finding R4 that easy though, so it's time his level came up from here on out if he has ambitions of a good run at this tournament.

I'm not sure what you consider a very good performance. Not including aces, he had a +23 winners/UEs differential.

Andi-M
01-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Last 2 sets were really good from Murray, alot of finesse mixed in with agression and percentage play. 8/10.

Obviously Isner or Monfils will be harder, but Murray still has some gears to find.

scoobs
01-22-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure what you consider a very good performance. Not including aces, he had a +23 winners/UEs differential.
Yes? Is that the only way to judge a performance?

By his standards the UE count was quite high. There were a couple of lapses, in the first and third sets, where he dropped serve with some poor points in bunches. 55% first serves is not bad but could do with being 10% higher. Ace count was good, second serves generally were more effective. Returning was somewhat poor today by his standards and the passing shots were in and out.

I thought it was not too bad, plenty good enough for the calibre of opponent, but I didn't see too much today that will strike fear into the heart of the likes of Federer or Nadal. It was good enough - 3 rounds played, no sets dropped, adequate level of tennis to beat the opponent fairly comfortably. That's all that can be said at this point - he needs someone who will really push him to show us where he's really at.

rocketassist
01-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Rather Murray played aggressive and made some UE, it's a better display than pushing and less UE imo.

He played well and took it on quite a lot. Serra was a fighter in the first and outclassed in the last two sets.

Hope big John can set up a nice fourth rounder now.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes? Is that the only way to judge a performance?

By his standards the UE count was quite high. There were a couple of lapses, in the first and third sets, where he dropped serve with some poor points in bunches. 55% first serves is not bad but could do with being 10% higher. Ace count was good, second serves generally were more effective. Returning was somewhat poor today by his standards and the passing shots were in and out.

I thought it was not too bad, plenty good enough for the calibre of opponent, but I didn't see too much today that will strike fear into the heart of the likes of Federer or Nadal. It was good enough - 3 rounds played, no sets dropped, adequate level of tennis to beat the opponent fairly comfortably. That's all that can be said at this point - he needs someone who will really push him to show us where he's really at.

The UE count was higher because he was more aggressive. Do you want him to be aggressive while still keeping his UE count in single digits? It's the differential that counts. Honestly, I think you try too hard to appear impartial sometimes and end up being needlessly critical. It's as though you fear being labelled a fanboy if you give Murray anything more than grudging praise.

I thought the performance was very good. Couple of lapses, sure. It happens in these matches. Tough to keep the adrenaline going when you're playing a guy like Serra. Then again, he has progressed more comfortably than the players you mentioned. The likes of Nadal and Federer have had more problems than Murray, so it's not like he is trembling at the thought of facing them either. I know an average performance when I see one. That was clearly a good day at the office.

And honestly, are you really holding out for Murray to serve at 65%? Murray does that once in a blue moon, so let's not get carried away. The only way he's getting 65% in is if he uses his slice serve more. He's too fond of the flat one, though.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Rather Murray played aggressive and made some UE, it's a better display than pushing and less UE imo.

He played well and took it on quite a lot. Serra was a fighter in the first and outclassed in the last two sets.

Hope big John can set up a nice fourth rounder now.

Exactly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

scoobs
01-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Good for you if thought that was a good day at the office - I thought it was an adequate one. Sure he was a tad more aggressive but not much more than he has been in matches past, it's not like he went after every single point, plenty of times he was perfectly content to try to rope a dope and pull out the error.

I really don't see any point having an argument about though - it was Florent Serra. Who cares whether it was a B+ or a B- performance. It was good enough, he's in good shape going into R4 in terms of not much fuss to get this far, bigger challenges loom, he hasn't shown his best tennis yet, I'm hoping that when it's needed, it does come to the party. I can hardly be unhappy with week 1 but week 1 is not what matters really, you get through it, he has.

Mechlan
01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Only saw a bit of this, but Murray looked like he was playing pretty well. Some nice variety, some aggression. Will need to be make sure he has no lapses in R4 and then throw what he's got at Nadal in the QFs.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Good for you if thought that was a good day at the office - I thought it was an adequate one. Sure he was a tad more aggressive but not much more than he has been in matches past, it's not like he went after every single point, plenty of times he was perfectly content to try to rope a dope and pull out the error.

Of course he was content to sit back on occasion. So is Federer. I wouldn't want him to take on every ball. It's the right balance that he needs.

Like you said, no point in arguing about it. I just don't understand why you're so critical sometimes when there's no real need for it.

scoobs
01-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Of course he was content to sit back on occasion. So is Federer. I wouldn't want him to take on every ball. It's the right balance that he needs.

Like you said, no point in arguing about it. I just don't understand why you're so critical sometimes when there's no real need for it.
I'm not being critical, I'm just not being overly effusive with the praise, I didn't think it was warranted. So shoot me.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm not being critical, I'm just not being overly effusive with the praise, I didn't think it was warranted. So shoot me.

I can't recall the last time you actually thought it was warranted.

Lopez
01-22-2010, 07:32 AM

Oh stop it boys, you're making us all blush :p

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh stop it boys, you're making us all blush :p

:lol:

christallh24
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
He's going to beat my :angel:RafiAngel:angel: and lose to Del Possum! :sobbing: I just know it! :sobbing:

scoobs
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Well if you think dropping 10 games to Florent Serra is worthy of effusive praise then I'm gonna leave you to get on with it :)

Apemant
01-22-2010, 07:39 AM

People screwing winners count all over. Isner is supposedly at 96 already. I-i-i-i don't think so. :devil:

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Well if you think dropping 10 games to Florent Serra is worthy of effusive praise then I'm gonna leave you to get on with it :)

Over 3 sets? Of course it is. Pretty funny that you seem to think anything less than a triple breadstick is average. You have to consider how Serra played too, or do you think matches are played on paper? If they were, Del Potro wouldn't be dropping sets left, right, and centre at the moment.

Clydey
01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
People screwing winners count all over. Isner is supposedly at 96 already. I-i-i-i don't think so. :devil:

That will include aces. Some stats count aces in the winners column.

Speed of Light
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Serra fell asleep from second set watching all the pushing going on.
Muggay is the luckiest mug pusher on the whole of planet earth.

scoobs
Over 3 sets? Of course it is. Pretty funny that you seem to think anything less than a triple breadstick is average. You have to consider how Serra played too, or do you think matches are played on paper? If they were, Del Potro wouldn't be dropping sets left, right, and centre at the moment.
Well okay then, you and I judge by different standards. Excellent :D

Apemant
That will include aces. Some stats count aces in the winners column.

No, that's not enough of an explanation... my bet is that some noobz over there count any (or most) winning shot as a 'winner' - for example, if the opponent only clips the ball, not even making it fly towards the other side or whatever.

No way Isner hit 102 'winners' out of 137 points total won - with, or without aces, LOL. My guess is that there is again some confusion as to what exactly a 'winner' is. :shrug:

Or perhaps it could be this scenario. One noob is counting only aces, while the other noob counts winners - but there's lack of communication between them, so the other one counts both winners and aces. But the third noob then sums 'winners' and 'aces' for the 'total winners' count - hence counting aces twice. :devil:

Whatever it is, they do a poor job overall.

tennizen
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
scoobs and Clydey:rolleyes:

Corey Feldman
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
1st QF of AO should happen

but no more with his serve as bad as this, especially the 2nd

«Ivan»
01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
what an ugly gye murray.

Nidhogg
01-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Murray is the only guy into the fourth round yet to lose a set. Let's see if Tsonga, Falla, Istomin, Davydenko and Hewitt can join him in such style.

gusavo
01-23-2010, 11:35 PM
That's all that can be said at this point - he needs someone who will really push him to show us where he's really at.
theres no reason why that should be a big deal at all in seeing how well one is playing.

I really don't see any point having an argument about though - it was Florent Serra. Who cares whether it was a B+ or a B- performance.
its a matter of how well hes playing the game as a whole, mostly about how well hes hitting a shot compared to how difficult the shot was. who cares who hes playing.

Well okay then, you and I judge by different standards. Excellent :D
so if rank 100 plays better than federer one match its more impressive to win against federer if he played a fair bit worse than that?

Clydey
01-24-2010, 05:02 AM
A question from the Murray presser.

Q. What sort of feedback had you had from the ****** with the Bryan brothers?

Andy's been hard up for sex since the split from Kim, I see.