Why is no one ever clutch? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is no one ever clutch?

Demiloy
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Every time a player comes back from being down a set or two to win (eg Federer, many times in Grand Slams), the automatic MTF response is that the loser choked it away. Watching Andreev on set points in the third set yesterday, I can understand that is sometimes true...but I can't say I have ever seen someone say that the winner was simply clutch. This seems to fit in with the overal MTF logic that every player is a clown/joker/mug/etc.

Forgive my semi-rant, but what do you think?

ossie
01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
people just dont like to see their favourite player lose so they blame it on a mental breakdown of some sort instead of just accepting that he wasnt good enough

rocketassist
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
It's mostly defensive/passive players who ARE clutch as they just wait for an error by a choker who's hit the lines all game except for big points.

Kolya
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
If someone was always clutch, they will always win :p

miura
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
This is MTF, home of the uneducated haters. What do you expect? 90% of what you read in a match thread is utter bullshit anyway.

n8
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
People do seem to cry choke very often. A lot of the time they are right but I don't blame the athletes as so much (prize money, sponsorship, ranking points etc) depends on some very important points in matches. I didn't see it but apparently Muller's quarter-final run at the 2008 US Open was clutch (and the score lines certainly back that up). Federer's match point save in the fourth set of the 2008 Wimbledon final was definitely clutch too because Nadal played a very solid point.

Sophocles
01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Nadal was infuriatingly clutch saving break points in the 2007 Roland Garros final. Federer was pretty clutch against most players at his peak.

Commander Data
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Every time a player comes back from being down a set or two to win (eg Federer, many times in Grand Slams), the automatic MTF response is that the loser choked it away. Watching Andreev on set points in the third set yesterday, I can understand that is sometimes true...but I can't say I have ever seen someone say that the winner was simply clutch. This seems to fit in with the overal MTF logic that every player is a clown/joker/mug/etc.

Forgive my semi-rant, but what do you think?

I agree.

Sunset of Age
01-20-2010, 04:09 PM
people just dont like to see their favourite player lose so they blame it on a mental breakdown of some sort instead of just accepting that he wasnt good enough

I agree on this for the most, but not in every case. At times it should be possible to just admit that an opponent choked against a fav player of yours. I personally have no difficulty in admitting that I think Andreev at least choked for a bit against Federer yesterday, just like Almagro's most recent loss against Nadal was a choke job as well. :shrug:
It doesn't take anything away from the fact that in both cases my favs managed to pull out the victory eventually.

ossie
01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree on this for the most, but not in every case. At times it should be possible to just admit that an opponent choked against a fav player of yours. I personally have no difficulty in admitting that I think Andreev at least choked for a bit against Federer yesterday, just like Almagro's most recent loss against Nadal was a choke job as well. :shrug:
It doesn't take anything away from the fact that in both cases my favs managed to pull out the victory eventually.i agree there are exceptions but i think the definition of the word 'choke' where no credit is given at all to the winner is used far too often on mtf than it should. most players choke on their opponents not inside their heads

DorianGray7
01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
That's because 99% of posters on MTF are total assholes who would die than admit that their favored player lost because he deserved to.

MTF is the best terrible representation of the sorry state of humanity we live in.

The only appropriate response to such scum is to be an asshole yourself and call them out on such ridiculous BS and verbally drag them out in the streets and kick them in the balls.