7.0 quake hits Haiti; could be 'catastrophe,' official says [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

7.0 quake hits Haiti; could be 'catastrophe,' official says

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 12:20 AM
(CNN) -- A major earthquake struck southern Haiti on Tuesday, knocking down buildings and inflicting a catastrophe on the impoverished Caribbean nation, its ambassador to the United States said.

"The only thing I can do now is pray and hope for the best," the ambassador, Raymond Joseph, told CNN.

The magnitude 7.0 quake struck about 10 miles (15 kilometers) southwest of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince shortly before 5 p.m. Joseph said he had little information about the extent of damage from the quake, but one government official -- the only one he was able to reach -- told him houses had crumbled "on the right side of the street and the left side of the street."

"He said it is a catastrophe of major proportions," Joseph said.

Continue read: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/12/haiti.earthquake/index.html

buddyholly
01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I visited Port au Prince many times. The crumbling buildings on steep hillsides must have come down by the thousands in a 7.0 quake, with the epicentre almost in the city.
P-au-P was virtually without an infrastructure before the quake. It hardly bears thinking about what it is like now.I am sitting here watching CNN, in a room with all my Haitian paintings on the wall, waiting for the news to get worse and worse.

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
when was the last time a big earthquake hit so close to a capital? must be decades ago.

Johnny Groove
01-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Sweet Jesus.

A 7.0 EQ was the last thing Haiti needed. :awww:

ClaudiuS
01-13-2010, 02:47 AM
when was the last time a big earthquake hit so close to a capital? must be decades ago.

Maybe the one in Mexico City was the most recent. I don't know exactly. :o

Also one in 1985 that hitted Santiago de Chile pretty hard. It was an 8.0°, the epicentre was like 100 km away.

ClaudiuS
01-13-2010, 02:54 AM
25 years without earthquakes in the zone where I live. :lol: I have a bad feeling about this year or the next one.

JolánGagó
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Some countries are just too unlucky, cursed.

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM

what do you mean by unlucky? major earthquakes are a natural process along plate boundaries. they will happen sonner or later and usually the earlier the better to cause less damage. has nothing to do with luck or unluck. what's bad is that it mainly effects poor countries but this is coincidence. it's how the countries got founded over time. just pure coincidence. it can be considered as unlucky but not the occuring of earthquakes in these areas.

JolánGagó
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
what do you mean by unlucky? major earthquakes are a natural process along plate boundaries. they will happen sonner or later and usually the earlier the better to cause less damage. has nothing to do with luck or unluck. what's bad is that it mainly effects poor countries but this is coincidence. it's how the countries got founded over time. just pure coincidence. it can be considered as unlucky but not the occuring of earthquakes in these areas.

Yes.

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
25 years without earthquakes in the zone where I live. :lol: I have a bad feeling about this year or the next one.

jup, the next 9.0+ earthquake will hit chile sooner or later. this region is known for its destructive earthquakes. famous region for studying earthquakes.

Purple Rainbow
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM

It's not a coincidence. Countries suffering from earthquakes, droughts or hurricanes are poor partly because they are located in a geographically unfavorable location.

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
It's not a coincidence. Countries suffering from earthquakes, droughts or hurricanes are poor partly because they are located in a geographically unfavorable location.

exactly. my post wasn't complete to be honest. what i wanted to say is that it can have also hit a country like germany if it would have been founded there.

ClaudiuS
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
jup, the next 9.0+ earthquake will hit chile sooner or later. this region is known for its destructive earthquakes. famous region for studying earthquakes.

Yep, Chile has the largest earthquake ever registered at the moment. :o

9.5° and it had 4 aftershocks between 7° and 7.9° and 20 more between 7° and 5°. And the rupture zone was estimated to be 1000 km.

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Yep, Chile has the largest earthquake ever registered at the moment. :o

9.5° and it had 4 aftershocks between 7° and 7.9° and 20 more between 7° and 5°. And the rupture zone was estimated to be 1000 km.

the power of about 100.000 hiroshima bombs. means a massive change in landscape.

shows you how small a human is

ClaudiuS
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
the power of about 100.000 hiroshima bombs. means a massive change in landscape.

shows you how small a human is

yeah, you can see boats buried some kms away from the sea, that was used to be a small harbour named Puerto Saavedra. It completely dissappeared. And a large part of the city of Valdivia went down some meters...and something like a mountain appeared in the half of the city. :p Also a volcano in the region started to erupt a couple hours after that, including the Tsunamis. The whole incident deserves a motion picture, it's almost apocalyptical.

buddyholly
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM

San Francisco, the Dust Bowl and New Orleans. Poor USA.

Purple Rainbow
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
San Francisco, the Dust Bowl and New Orleans. Poor USA.

Large country with a central government in a very fertile and stable environment.

You're not seriously denying that geographical location has been, and still is a determining factor for a countries ability to develop?

buddyholly
01-13-2010, 03:46 PM
No, I was just pointing out that being earthquake prone is not necessarily a hindrance to economic development.

MJ angel
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

What is wrong you ..?

MJ angel
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Yes . But there is nothing to do with " curse " or something like that.. i mean Japan is one of the richest country , but also one of the most suferring from earthquakes .. .

Everko
01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
awful news

tangerine_dream
01-13-2010, 06:12 PM
"The last time an earthquake this strong struck Haiti was in the 18th century."

Earthquake Science: The Haitian Quake Explained. (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/13/earthquake-science-haitian-quake-explained/)

JolánGagó
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
What is wrong you ..?

Yes.

Ilovetheblues_86
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Just heard that could be around 100.000 dead, 1% of Haiti population.

Denaon
01-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Unbelievably tragic. :sad:

Bilbo
01-13-2010, 07:50 PM

should be a realistic number but i fear a higher number. shallow 7.0 earthquake with a strike-slip character just a few kilometers away from the capital of a very poor country with weak buildings and over 1 million people in that area. worst case if you ask me.

shotgun
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Poverty, AIDS, civil wars and now an earthquake. Poor Haitians.

Collective
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Huge tragedy, having been there it is clear they are not prepared -by any stretch of imagination- to deal with a natural disaster of this magnitude. It is a shame this strikes the poorest and less prepared country in the western hemisphere :(.

Lee
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
should be a realistic number but i fear a higher number. shallow 7.0 earthquake with a strike-slip character just a few kilometers away from the capital of a very poor country with weak buildings and over 1 million people in that area. worst case if you ask me.

I believe the number will be higher too. News reported even the Presidential Palace and UN buildings collapsed. So I don't think there're buildings designed to withstand earthquake. I doubt there's any organised effort to rescue whoever trapped under collapsed buildings too.

Really sad.

buddyholly
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I believe the number will be higher too. News reported even the Presidential Palace and UN buildings collapsed. So I don't think there're buildings designed to withstand earthquake. I doubt there's any organised effort to rescue whoever trapped under collapsed buildings too.

The toll will be tremedous, but ironically, one reason there might be less deaths than feared is that many Haitians in the capital live in tin shacks and are more likely to have survived than those who can afford concrete structures.

Lee
01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
The toll will be tremedous, but ironically, one reason there might be less deaths than feared is that many Haitians in the capital live in tin shacks and are more likely to have survived than those who can afford concrete structures.

But would they survive the aftermath of this quake? :sad:

Just finish watching the national news reporting the terrible scenes. It's devastating.

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I was going to continue to say that with no infrastructure, disease will be a big problem. Hopefully enough food will get in quickly.

prima donna
01-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Israel sends aid as Haiti braces for death toll in strongest Caribbean earthquake in 200 years. http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1142348.html

Johnny Groove
01-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Huge tragedy, having been there it is clear they are not prepared -by any stretch of imagination- to deal with a natural disaster of this magnitude. It is a shame this strikes the poorest and less prepared country in the western hemisphere :(.

This.

My mother is Haitian and I went to the country when I was 16. The people there are the nicest, hardest working people around, but we're the poorest country in the western hemisphere. People live in shacks just trying to get by. There are trees in the middle of the "road". No one has pretty much anything at all. And through all this, Haitians are always optimistic and cheerful.

Its such a shame that this country has had to endure this :sad:

You don't think the tin shacks would be susceptible to the earthquake? :scratch:

Ilovetheblues_86
01-14-2010, 03:19 AM
You don't think the tin shacks would be susceptible to the earthquake? :scratch:

I think what B.Holly wanted to say is that concrete buildings can kill you easily, they are heavy and can kill a lot of people and bring damage, maybe some poor constructions can do less damage because of lighter material.

http://www.ired.com/pix/news/mkt/haiti.jpg

Not big houses, maybe they can injury but not kill, its a hope.

Arkulari
01-14-2010, 03:32 AM
If you have a cell phone and can, please text YELE to 501501. By doing so, you will be donating $5 to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund (the $5 will be charged to your phone bill). Even if you can't donate, please pass the word along. Every little bit counts.

more sites where you can help:

http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=haiti%20support

Lee
01-14-2010, 03:41 AM
There're already (heartless, scum of the world) scam artists asking for donations to help Haitians. Please make sure it's a trust organsation before you send any money.

Arkulari
01-14-2010, 03:47 AM
There're already (heartless, scum of the world) scam artists asking for donations to help Haitians. Please make sure it's a trust organsation before you send any money.

yep, do so to RedCross, Care, the Wyclef Jean NGO or any other trustworthy organization

~Maya~
01-14-2010, 03:52 AM
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

This has list of legit organizations responding to this crisis. I donated to World Food Programme and Doctors Without Borders.

Terrible fate has struck poor Haitians. I hope they receive proper aid fast

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I think what B.Holly wanted to say is that concrete buildings can kill you easily, they are heavy and can kill a lot of people and bring damage, maybe some poor constructions can do less damage because of lighter material

Exactly

superslam77
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Big drama over here...most people felt it. I didn't becuase i was outside planting trees at the time.

Har-Tru
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
How's the situation in the DC?

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
In the DR?

superslam77
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Dr Evil :devil:

nice edit to DR :lol:

superslam77
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
There was a Tsunami alert for the DR and of course many people don't know what that is :lol:

So want to know what they did? they all headed out to the malecón :cuckoo:
(the deadly high coasts near the colonial zone) to see the tsunami, must be like fireworks yippy!

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Dr Evil :devil:

nice edit to DR :lol:

If I just posted ''DR'' the computer changed it to ''Dr.'' Posting ''in the DR?'' worked. Try it.

Pat Robertson, may his name be praised, announced that the earthquake struck because the Haitian slaves made a pact with the devil, who helped them overthrow the French. He wants people to send him money because of this disaster.

How else could you know if a tsunami was coming, if you don't go to watch the sea?

Denaon
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

www.ifrc.org in my case ...I got the site from BBC I think

Tommy_Vercetti
01-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, time to line the pockets.

tangerine_dream
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Are AT&T And Sprint Making Money Off Of Your Text Message Donations?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34850532/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

MSNBC asked Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint whether or not they're charging for the popular "text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10" meme that's been going around online for the past two days, and that so far has raked in over three million dollars. Verizon and T-Mobile say they're not. Sprint says they are, but that if you just upgrade to an unlimited text message package then you won't have to worry about it. AT&T has announced it will waive fees for donations, and apply the exemption retroactively to those who have already donated.

What makes this even more ridiculous is that text messaging costs carriers next to nothing--it's almost pure profit. AT&T and Sprint have apparently decided that they'd like to get in on the Haiti disaster and make a little something something off of the goodwill of their customers. My suggestion: if you're an AT&T or a Sprint customer, donate some other way.

Beware of bogus online ‘help’ for Haiti

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34845486/ns/technology_and_science-security/

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I donated to Doctors Without Borders by way of SHARE (Skeptic and Humanist Aid and Relief Effort). Pat Robertson will not get a cent of it.

~*BGT*~
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
This.

My mother is Haitian and I went to the country when I was 16. The people there are the nicest, hardest working people around, but we're the poorest country in the western hemisphere. People live in shacks just trying to get by. There are trees in the middle of the "road". No one has pretty much anything at all. And through all this, Haitians are always optimistic and cheerful.

Its such a shame that this country has had to endure this :sad:

I was going to ask you about this. I remember a while ago you said your mother is from Haiti. Do you have any family there still?

Johnny Groove
01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I was going to ask you about this. I remember a while ago you said your mother is from Haiti. Do you have any family there still?

Yes, plenty.

I have heard that everyone is alive and well, but damage to their homes. My uncle had been working his ass off for at least a year to open up a gym near PAP, and was set to open it up in February, but it is now a pile of concrete :awww:

Denaon
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, plenty.

I have heard that everyone is alive and well, but damage to their homes. My uncle had been working his ass off for at least a year to open up a gym near PAP, and was set to open it up in February, but it is now a pile of concrete :awww:

that's good news they're all well...:smooch:

Lee
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes, plenty.

Glad they are well and alive. The rebuilt process will be slow and tough but at least they have the chance to start over again. :hug:

prima donna
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Israel to set up field hospital in Haiti

Physicians, rescue teams to leave for quake-struck country Thursday evening; Clinton cuts short trip to Asia-Pacific region to deal with crisis; one Israeli still missing.

Israel will send a delegation to establish a field hospital in Haiti, Foreign Ministry spokesman Yossi Levy said Thursday.

The party sent to set up the hospital will include 40 doctors and 24 nurses, and is scheduled to leave Thursday evening. The hospital, capable of treating 500 patients, will include an intensive care unit, two operating rooms, a pharmacy, and an X-ray lab.

Or Levy
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Physicians, rescue teams to leave for quake-struck country Thursday evening; Clinton cuts short trip to Asia-Pacific region to deal with crisis; one Israeli still missing.

Israel will send a delegation to establish a field hospital in Haiti, Foreign Ministry spokesman Yossi Levy said Thursday.

The party sent to set up the hospital will include 40 doctors and 24 nurses, and is scheduled to leave Thursday evening. The hospital, capable of treating 500 patients, will include an intensive care unit, two operating rooms, a pharmacy, and an X-ray lab.

We're good with mass-casualty events, sigh.
They put everything up within one night. They also sent in the army rescue units, with trained rescue dogs, hopefully there still people to rescue. If the country wasn't so hot, people would have had better chances, but buried people are probably dying from the heat and because they have no water, and not just from any injuries they sustained during the quack.

So many people injured and lost. Sigh - what a nightmare this is, this country didn't have anything to begin with, now they have even less.

Henry Chinaski
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM

haha.

so what?

seems your only contribution in this thread has been to try score points for Israel.

you're like a caricature of a cynical, opportunistic lobbyist.

Cuba has permanent field hospitals there. Venezuelan aid was the first to arrive in Haiti. Don't see you chiming in about them.

maybe Israel can bring over some organs they harvested from Palestinian prisoners eh?

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
agreed, henry. pathetic how some people use this sensitive topic to make propaganda for israel. as if this makes their bad reputation any better.

Or Levy
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
haha.

so what?

seems your only contribution in this thread has been to try score points for Israel.

Cuba has permanent field hospitals there. Venezuelan aid was the first to arrive in Haiti. Don't see you chiming in about them.

maybe Israel can bring over some organs they harvested from Palestinian prisoners eh?

With all due respect, Cuba and Venezuela are a little closer to Haiti than Israel. The flight alone is probably like 16 hours.

I agree that Israel Propaganda has no business on this thread, but it goes both ways, if she was talking about another country's efforts, you wouldn't have said anything.

(and the organ comment was uncalled for, re-stating a known lie for the sake of a cheap shot?)

Pfloyd
01-17-2010, 11:30 AM
haha.

so what?

Very nicely stated.

I mean, I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 18 years, so the Haiti issue is quite a problem for Dominicans, including my family and friends too. We are aware that Haiti needs help, it is just pure devastation, but now, unless the aid is distributed properly there is going to be chaos spreading all over Haiti, the Dominican Republic and perhaps part of south Florida. I repeat, the main problem is proper distribution of aid, they are going to have to get creative unless they "want" a situation beyond solution.

The Israel help is certainly appreciated, but one thing you mentioned is true. Unless they settle the situation and create a Palestinian State it is hypocritical for Israel to help Haiti, when they have the issue of the Palestinians to solve, which is quite severe.

So far everyone cares about Haiti, not only because of the actual incident, which was awful, but because it is the news all the time. I suspect once this mess is cleaned up, we will find out about other international events that may have been shrouded by too much coverage of what happened in Haiti.....

Henry Chinaski
01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
With all due respect, Cuba and Venezuela are a little closer to Haiti than Israel. The flight alone is probably like 16 hours.

I agree that Israel Propaganda has no business on this thread, but it goes both ways, if she was talking about another country's efforts, you wouldn't have said anything.

(and the organ comment was uncalled for, re-stating a known lie for the sake of a cheap shot?)

again so what? Israel is a lot richer, than Cuba or Venezuela.

It's not the point. Countries all over the globe have dispatched aid.

If for example, Bilbo had made 2 posts in the thread both about aid from Dubai and put one in giant letters like it was the most important info in the thread then I probably would have responded in a similar manner.

Sure, I enjoy sparring with you on here from time to time but I'd like to think it was a point of principal in this case. That of using a natural disaster to score political points.

And yes, the last point was indeed a cheap shot. A retaliatory one though. I was going to delete it but was too lazy. It's not a lie though. It''s been admitted by people involved though it was stopped in the mid 90s. Anyway, not the time or the place for it.

EDIT: I thought I was replying to prima donna there. Apologies for the parts of this post that don't apply.

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
maybe israel should donate the money which of they want to build a wall (yes, a wall away from their own territory!) between gaza and egypt :tape:

scarecrows
01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Unless they settle the situation and create a Palestinian State it is hypocritical for Israel to help Haiti,

what? :lol:

why involve politics when here is a question of humanitarian aid

People there would be grateful even if Al Qaeda offered it

Pfloyd
01-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Being hypocritical does not mean that aid is not wanted or needed, it's just that: "hypocritical".

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Being hypocritical does not mean that aid is not wanted or needed, it's just that: "hypocritical".

This could be a never-ending debate. I have seen Cuban hospitals and they are appalling. Fidel never cared about the suffering of his people. Yet the Castros send doctors overseas purely for propaganda purposes. And when I say ''send'' I mean ''send.''

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Cuba has permanent field hospitals there. Venezuelan aid was the first to arrive in Haiti.

Where did you read about the Venezuelan aid? Where can I read about it?

Pfloyd
01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
This could be a never-ending debate. I have seen Cuban hospitals and they are appalling. Fidel never cared about the suffering of his people. Yet the Castros send doctors overseas purely for propaganda purposes. And when I say ''send'' I mean ''send.''

I am not arguing this.

Every country have hypocrisies, some much more than others.

But the aid is still needed. :shrug:

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
But the aid is still needed. :shrug:

Definitely. And the Cuban doctors will do their best. In another situation I would have more to say about Fidel's international aid, but not today.

A friend has a daughter with Doctors Without Borders. As of today 70 doctors are still in Santo Domingo. More and more it looks like this has to be a military operation. The girl has been to Darfur 3 times, but Haiti in the next few weeks could be a more scary deployment than Darfur.

Pfloyd
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Definitely. And the Cuban doctors will do their best. In another situation I would have more to say about Fidel's international aid, but not today.

A friend has a daughter with Doctors Without Borders. As of today 70 doctors are still in Santo Domingo. More and more it looks like this has to be a military operation. The girl has been to Darfur 3 times, but Haiti in the next few weeks could be a more scary deployment than Darfur.

Yes, it will be a very nasty development.

It will not end well for DR either.

Henry Chinaski
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Where did you read about the Venezuelan aid? Where can I read about it?

I heard it browsing the news channels.

Was probably Al Jazeera. Doubt any other station would bring it up.

There's mention of the Haitian president thanking Venuzuela among other countries here. http://www.miamiherald.com/582/story/1422279.html

Can't find much specific but a google search brings up results about Chavez's relationship with Haiti. Mostly seems to be pro-Chavez sites.

And if you think it's all bollocks don't try to debate it with me, I really don't care. It wasn't exactly fundamental to the point I made earlier.

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I heard it browsing the news channels.

Was probably Al Jazeera. Doubt any other station would bring it up.

There's mention of the Haitian president thanking Venuzuela among other countries here. http://www.miamiherald.com/582/story/1422279.html

Can't find much specific but a google search brings up results about Chavez's relationship with Haiti. Mostly seems to be pro-Chavez sites.

And if you think it's all bollocks don't try to debate it with me, I really don't care. It wasn't exactly fundamental to the point I made earlier.

I tried google and got nothing. The Miami Herald is not at all about Venezuela being first.

Henry Chinaski
01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
why should it be? Non-story. It's not a competition.

But here you go anyway:

Sebastian Walker, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Port-au-Prince, said that efforts to get aid to those affected by the quake have been complicated by the scale of the destruction.

"We have seen from the air some of those houses that have been completely destroyed. We have been speaking to some people at the airport, who have been telling us some horrific stories of the damage caused. Individuals have each said that they know of dozens of deaths," he said.

"There is only one plane here [that has brought aid] and humanitarian supplies to the people of Haiti - it arrived from Venezuela. The actual aid aeroplane that we were trying to get a ride on is still in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, as far as we know."

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/01/2010113133745805501.html

tangerine_dream
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
China scrapes up $1mill behind their couch to donate to Haiti. Thanks China, our next benevolent world superpower.

Lee
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Shame on all posters who involve politics in this thread. SHAME ON YOU!

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Shame on all posters who involve politics in this thread. SHAME ON YOU!

It won't make a dime of difference to the people in Port-Au-Prince. But if it makes you feel morally superior, go for it.

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
why should it be? Non-story. It's not a competition.

But here you go anyway:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/01/2010113133745805501.html

No, I don't want to argue either. But I did see that item. I can not make out the true meaning and in the end decided the Venezuelan plane was still in Santo Domingo and the reporter himself was still trying to get to Haiti.

Lee
01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
It won't make a dime of difference to the people in Port-Au-Prince. But if it makes you feel morally superior, go for it.

I don't feel morally superior. It never crossed my mind. My only feeling of those posts is disgust. So don't project YOUR feeling on me. Thank you!

I am going to do something more productive, like looking for organisations who are doing a good job in helping those people in Haiti, and make a donation to them.

I made a donation to Doctors without borders already. I saw on TV that CRS-Catholic Relief Services, actually managed to get some food and water to the homeless people there. So I am going to make a donation to it too.

These have nothing to do with being morally superior but compassion for those people which I know many posters are very capable of although they are less vocal.

Or Levy
01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Just read a report about the goverment in Haiti is trying to get together and be useful - how do you start organizing anything in the midst of all that chaos? Hard to complain about the dysfunctionality of people who lost kids and parents themselves and are responsible to a crumbling country.

buddyholly
01-18-2010, 01:56 AM
I don't feel morally superior. It never crossed my mind. My only feeling of those posts is disgust. So don't project YOUR feeling on me. Thank you!

I am going to do something more productive, like looking for organisations who are doing a good job in helping those people in Haiti, and make a donation to them.

So why are you projecting your feelings on me and demanding that I don't dare reply?

I donated to Doctors Without Borders on the day after the quake, so have already taken care of the productive part.

I visited Haiti many times, I did some geological work in northern Haiti and the only art on my walls is Haitian. There are many Haitian merengues in my CD collection, I love that music. My compassion for Haiti is great, possibly greater than yours, but it isn't measured by treating the tragedy like some event that can only be talked about in hushed, religious-like tones.

JolánGagó
01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
China scrapes up $1mill behind their couch to donate to Haiti. Thanks China, our next benevolent world superpower.

OMFG!!! one fuken million!!!!

thank you China!
http://www.oregonsynod.org/growingfaith/worship/worship01_large.jpg

Pfloyd
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
For those who speak Spanish:

http://www.elpais.com/

In a nutshell the US is concerned with making this a military operation, whereas the UN emphases AID much more than "strict rule".

I'd think once the aid is properly distributed (which is a difficult, granted), more order should follow.

We shall have to wait and see.

DrJules
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Hopefully China they will do better than the USA in the world superpower role, but expect them to have an equally negative and detrimental impact on the world.

DrJules
01-18-2010, 07:09 PM

Very true and vaild point.

Everko
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Hopefully China they will do better than the USA in the world superpower role, but expect them to have an equally negative and detrimental impact on the world.

China will be no better than the USA

JolánGagó
01-19-2010, 04:50 AM
All you anti-American whiners will give your right testicle for the old times to return once the Chinese take over, if they ever do.

shotgun
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
All you anti-American whiners will give your right testicle for the old times to return once the Chinese take over, if they ever do.

Very true. I don't even want to imagine what the world under Chinese influence would be like.

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-20-2010, 09:56 AM
So sad
God bless them

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Chávez and the Russians are blaming the USA for provoking intencionally 2 earthquakes. This one in Haiti y one in China (Sichuan)

According to Chávez "the US Navy has a super weapon who's capable to control the tectonic plates and create those earthquakes, it was clearly an exercise from the US Navy.

The system would be the HAARP Project (High Frequency Advanced Auroral Research Project) because they say this program would allow them to create meteorological anomalies to provoke, floodings or hurricanes. The Russians say this weapon would be use in a possible invasion to Iran."

:spit:

JolánGagó
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Chávez and the Russians are blaming the USA for provoking intencionally 2 earthquakes. This one in Haiti y one in China (Sichuan)

According to Chávez "the US Navy has a super weapon who's capable to control the tectonic plates and create those earthquakes, it was clearly an exercise from the US Navy.

The system would be the HAARP Project (High Frequency Advanced Auroral Research Project) because they say this program would allow them to create meteorological anomalies to provoke, floodings or hurricanes. The Russians say this weapon would be use in a possible invasion to Iran."

:spit:

Nothing new, Castro has been blaming the US for every hurrican and epidemy the island has suffered in the last 50yrs.

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Nothing new, Castro has been blaming the US for every hurrican and epidemy the island has suffered in the last 50yrs.

You need comedy JG? here it is :D

HmSzw8MMlR4

v1Tjg9c9Ayo

:haha:

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Question for Bilbo :D the guy in the video says:

"Ask to anyone who's studying Geology...Any change of climatic pressure, creates by a matter of "pressure" strong Earthquakes or Volcanic Eruptions, because the Earth suits up again and releases the pressure in those Earthquakes. So the USA can create those things because they shoot electrical charges to the Ionosphere to disrupt it...and then create earthquakes."

It this possible?

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
So fucking stupid this guy in the video. :haha: "It shouldn't have been an Earthquake in Haiti because the last minor tremor in Haiti was around the 1751"

Puerto Principe had strong earthquakes even after 1751 :lol: USA was still a colony in those days....I can't believe people in my country actually can believe this bullshit story. The Dominican Republic had an 8.0 en 1946 and that's next to Haiti. :haha:

Bilbo
01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Question for Bilbo :D the guy in the video says:

"Ask to anyone who's studying Geology...Any change of climatic pressure, creates by a matter of "pressure" strong Earthquakes or Volcanic Eruptions, because the Earth suits up again and releases the pressure in those Earthquakes. So the USA can create those things because they shoot electrical charges to the Ionosphere to disrupt it...and then create earthquakes."

It this possible?

i don't really understand what is meant by climatic pressure. all i know about is air pressure but that's meteorology. earthquakes are a release of stress which has grown over time along faults. there are ways by subsurface nuclear weapons or whatever to influence the pore fluids inthese regions which can lead to an impact on earthquakes but only in a small scale imo. an example would be the basel earthquakes caused by a geothermic project.

to say this i don't think it's possible to have a big impact on earthquakes let alone in connection with the ionosphere.

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
i don't really understand what is meant by climatic pressure.

Well, forgive the guy he's just a below average journalist who thinks Zeitgeist is a reliable source of info. :o

ClaudiuS
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
This is the new conspiracy that everyone is talking about. :lol: Man is now creating earthquakes. :worship:

w3g1gRZw7M4

Honestly....for me, this is another major Conspiracy bullshit.

buddyholly
01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
It's sad that such garbage is put on television for a public that does not understand tectonics.

I was going to say that I have never seen anything so ridiculous, but then I remembered that on US TV Pat Robertson said that the Haiti quake was caused by the fact that Haiti got its independence by making a pact with the devil.

Fee
01-23-2010, 02:36 AM
If anyone wants to watch the Hope for Haiti show, its streaming on www.eonline.com (but I will make a donation directly to Doctors without Borders, I don't want it filtered through a middleman).

~Maya~
02-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Glny4jSciVI

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 07:42 PM

bump....

Bilbo, are really human? you predicted this man :scared:

Jelena
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
bump....

Bilbo, are really human? you predicted this man :scared:
He knows his stuff :)

Nikki♥
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have news on Claudio (Claudius)? I have messaged him on Facebook already...

Jelena
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have news on Claudio (Claudius)? I have messaged him on Facebook already...
Nope... I'd love to see him online again too. To be honest I'm quite worried. :scared:

buddyholly
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
He knows his stuff :)

It wasn't 9+. And predicting an earthquake ''sooner or later'' in one of the world's most seismic zones is like predicting tomorrow's sunrise.

Jelena
02-28-2010, 08:02 PM
It wasn't 9+. And predicting an earthquake ''sooner or later'' in one of the world's most seismic zones is like predicting tomorrow's sunrise.
:rolleyes: but it is far easier for him to say something like that than for someone who didn't study geology.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM

No. :scared:

Bilbo
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=9673959#post9673959

you are the only one caring about this stuff, CD. credits for that. not many people care for their planet. probably think they are living a safe life.

just a few hours before the earthquake :scared:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM

In Concepción and Talcahuano was 9. Nobody wants to say that, to keep the people calm, but this stuff is more huge than they are saying.

Nobody wants to say the word "Tsunami", but the sea hit 500-600 kms of the coast and destroyed all the cities.

Nikki♥
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Nope... I'd love to see him online again too. To be honest I'm quite worried. :scared:

No. :scared:

Do you guys know where exactly he is from?

I'm very worried too because he was online every day before the earthquake.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Really i don't know.

Jelena
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Really i don't know.
He studies in Santiago.

Nikki♥
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Really i don't know.

He told me a long time ago and to be honest, I don't remember.

He studies in Santiago.

But he is no there at the moment.

Bilbo
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM

it was the 5th strongest earthquake (tied with the 1906 earthquake in ecuador) ever recorded. it's not something you can predict out of the blue but you will get a feel for it when you work with seismic data, know when the last big one happened and the regional geology.

Bilbo
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM

i haven't seen him in quite a long time or i just missed his posts

Nikki♥
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
i haven't seen him in quite a long time or i just missed his posts

He doesn't post at the moment. We used to chat every day on MSN though.

Jelena
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
He told me a long time ago and to be honest, I don't remember.

in his fb he says Machali. Chileans tell us about the situation in Machali!

Jelena
02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
He doesn't post at the moment. We used to chat every day on MSN though.
and I didn't see him online since the earthquake, neither on msn nor elsewhere.

Bilbo
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
he should be fine but they have big problems with the communication system as it collapsed in many regions.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Machali is a little city, south of Santiago. The quake obviously hit the city, but is far from the epicenter and it's near to the range of Los Andes. Probably they have no light ATM, cause the communication systems doesn't exist at the south of Santiago.

he should be fine but they have big problems with the communication system as it collapsed in many regions.

So right, even in Santiago we have big problems with the light. In the epicenter zone they don't have nothing.

Nikki♥
02-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Let's hope that he is fine. :awww:

buddyholly
02-28-2010, 09:29 PM
:rolleyes: but it is far easier for him to say something like that than for someone who didn't study geology.

I have post grad degrees in geology AND geophysics it is just as easy for an astrologist to say it as a geologist.

buddyholly
02-28-2010, 09:47 PM
In Concepción and Talcahuano was 9. Nobody wants to say that, to keep the people calm, but this stuff is more huge than they are saying.

Nobody wants to say the word "Tsunami", but the sea hit 500-600 kms of the coast and destroyed all the cities.

The tsunami damage along the coast is now being reported on.

Jelena
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Claudio is FIT, only had no electricity since the earthquake

abraxas21
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM

holy shit, i'm from there. didn' think anyone else here would live in such a small town.

machali is ok. no-one died :)