The cheering Rafa to Oz Open glory thread - At least he lost to the new champ :sad: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The cheering Rafa to Oz Open glory thread - At least he lost to the new champ :sad:

adee-gee
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
:D NEVER FORGET :D

http://nonstriker.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fedrafa1.jpg

How far will Rafa go at the AO? (200,000 points :D )

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/fedjoy-1.png QF - Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, l_mac, tennizen, Jessebel
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/rafachoke.png SF - JolanGago, shawshank
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/rogicry.png F - nashty, Xristos
http://yelims5.free.fr/Sport/Winner.gif http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/rafashhh.png W - adee-gee, dal, elessar, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, Mixo, Laba, Snoo Foo, star, wilmar

born_on_clay
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
This moment will stay in my heart forever
What a beautiful memories :)

star
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
:hatoff:

Thanks Adam.

Minn
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Adam, may your opening of this thread bring much success to Rafa at AO. :D

MIT - Win.

dal
01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
who opened the thread last year?? :scratch:

tennizen
01-10-2010, 08:23 PM
who opened the thread last year?? :scratch:

Adam did.

Getta
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
winner.

tennizen
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Semi-Final

dal
01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Adam did.

:woohoo: then

thanks mate for the thread.. :worship: i hope u get back before the the end of the tournament ;)

WIN for me

born_on_clay
01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I'll wait for the draw ;)

shawshank
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
A part from the article published today in Sunday Herald Sun:

Nadal has worked tirelessly on improving his serve and being more aggressive.
Toni Nadal has ordered his nephew to study videos as the coach attempts to have the pupil inside or on the baseline rather than metres behind it.
Education is the key, even for a man who has climbed the sport's highest mountain.
"You have to learn with the victories and the losses," he said.
"Better with the victories than to lose.
"The goal is try to play hard and arrive generally in perfect conditions.
"Sure, I'm still working a little bit more with the serve. I have little bit more control of all the shots.
"(I want to) have the feeling that when you are playing a point you're not going to have a mistake. That's the first thing, you know.
"That's, I think, gonna be very difficult.
"But the other thing is play more aggressive.
"For example, I have to be more aggressive on the first shot.
"You know, after the serve, when I touch the first forehand, I have to attack more than what I did in this last months.
"Sure, when you are with less confidence, is more difficult to do it.
"But the confidence gonna come back. And when the confidence come back, I have to be ready.
"That's it. After the serve, play more aggressive with the forehand and recover my forehand winner and my intensity and my rhythm on the forehand.
"For the rest, when I am playing well with the forehand, the backhand gonna improve a lot."
The rest of the pack has thus been warned.
Nadal's early season form, on evidence over the past eight days in the Middle East, indicates the deposed king is poised to return in triumph.
"I think the sport is not mathematics," he said.
"Sometimes (everything) change with one victory.
"I just want to be ready."
Nadal will arrive in Melbourne in the next day or so.
The battery has been recharged. The mind is back on the job and, so far, the 23-year-old's body is holding up.
All of that equates to one thing for his competitors: danger.

Xristos
01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Final.

shawshank
01-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Why did still Rafa didn't practice in Melbourne? He should be practicing there for 2 days and there are no infos about it :(

Foxy
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Why did still Rafa didn't practice in Melbourne? He should be practicing there for 2 days and there are no infos about it :(

I don't know if he is there now. Last year I remember he flew back to Mallorca from Doha then stayed a couple of days and arrived in Melbourne midweek. Which is stupid. He should have gone there straight from Doha.

MariaV
01-12-2010, 11:58 AM
It was too hot in Melbourne yesterday anyway, and he can take a break for a day or 2.

Adam, thanks for opening the thread. :worship:
Let's hope for the repeat of this (yes that cannot be posted enough):

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuphkyqfjd1qz7tfd.jpg
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-02/44818132.jpg

Metis
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Excellent title and first post :worship: :rolls:

How far will Rafa go at the AO? (2000 points :lick: )

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Betty, born_on_clay, Foxy, tennizen
SF - JolanGago
F - Xristos
W - dal, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, wilmar

josie
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM

He is there and practicing :dance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4818833&name=espntennis

On Showcourt 2, at one point in the afternoon while he was practicing, Rafael Nadal had to wait 15 seconds to throw up the toss on his serve because an extended gust a wind made that mission impossible.

acionescu
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Wow :o, it was already open :retard:

born_on_clay
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
DRAW

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/.../ms/index.html

QF for me

Prove me wrong Rafa !

Foxy
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
No that good draw.

R128 - Luczak
R64 - Lacko/L.Mayer
R32 - Kohli
R16 - Ljubo/Fish/Karlo/Steps
QF - Murray :scared: /Monfils/Isner
SF - Del Potro/Cilic/A-Rod
F - Rogie/Nole/Denko/Dasco/Jo

I would have preferred Denko at QF for some reason. Murray could drag Rafa into a 5hr match who is too fit.

MariaV
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Uhhhhhhh I'm going out on a limb here and say W. I simply refuse to say anything else. :rocker: And acionescu better watch out! :armed: Rafa NEEDS another title and badly! :mad: Rafa to defend his AO crown! Vamos! :rocker: :banana:

acionescu
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
look, I predicted win in Doha and he wasted 2 MP so I can't predict win.
Anything else I'd predict, he'd do :sobbing:

So I prefer to refrain myself from predicting this time :cool:

Betty
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Qf

MariaV
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Yeah you're in a tough situation right now. :awww:
That's probably the smartest and best thing to do. :D :hug: :hug:

tennizen
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Metis, please change my pick to QF:sobbing:

Foxy
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
QF. Sorry, mate, I need MIT points. :devil:

Metis
01-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Wise decision :yeah: :lol:

Metis, please change my pick to QF:sobbing:

:sad:

JolánGagó
01-16-2010, 05:59 AM
MIT pick: SF

wilmar
01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
WIN for me. Vamos Rafa!

star
01-16-2010, 02:30 PM
No draw in the tournament thread? :rolleyes:

Now Rafa will lose for sure.

Foxy
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Good to see Mellow Yellow pissed again on Rafa's "I am not the favourite, no?". :haha:
Just made my day! :haha:

star
01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
:shrug:

Why is she all pissy? (intentional play on her name :p) Rafa is not the favorite, no?

Metis
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
OOP for Monday:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

Rod Laver Arena

19:00 Start

Men's Singles - 1st Round
Peter Luczak (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/atpl515.html)(AUS)vs. Rafael Nadal (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[2]
Women's Singles - 1st Round
Jelena Dokic (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta040344.html)(AUS)vs. Alisa Kleybanova (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/overview/wta311777.html)(RUS)[27]

Don't forget to post your predictions before 7pm Melbourne time! :D

Update:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, tennizen
SF - JolanGago, shawshank
F - nashty, Xristos
W - adee-gee, dal, elessar, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, Mixo, Snoo Foo, wilmar

nashty
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM
F please.

Mixo
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
May I play? Win

elessar
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Win :sobbing:

shawshank
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Semis :(

adee-gee
01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
MIT - WINNER :sport:

Vamoooooos :rocker2:

shawshank
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
From Rafa's blog:

HELLO everyone! I'm back in Australia, back at the Oz Open and I have to say the tournament could have not started better.

We know the main draw is only starting tomorrow - by the way I am playing at 7pm local time - but to me the main draw started with the Hit for Haiti.

How did that happen? I was in the Player's Restaurant yesterday morning and received a text message from
Roger. I thought it was a great idea from Roger and replied saying count me in and thanks!

So today we have played something that I think was really nice. The goal to raise money, the court completely full, some great players there trying to entertain everyone, with microphones while playing, playing around mixed with women, Jim Courier up there as a chair umpire.

Lots of joking around and, most importantly, lots of money raised for the cause in Haiti!. I think it was fantastic and I have to say I had a great time.

Believe me also that I didn't understand all the words and jokes ... you know ... my English is not that good, so I have to say I struggled a lot of the times to understand.

Like when Roger was tossing the racquet and Jim asked me: `Rafa up or down?` and I understood Rafa up and down and started jumping! :-)

Not easy, believe me. But again, the whole thing was for a good cause and I am thankful to Roger for thinking about me and thank everyone who came or saw it on TV.

Mostly thanks to all those who contributed and so I also encourage all of you to contribute.

So, thanks again this year for being there. I will be posting every day until the end of 'my' tournament. I hope I can get a lot of posts in...

Tomorrow I'll talk more about the tournament, how I got here, when, and how's everything for me. Today it was the day for Haiti!

Thanks. Rafa

Questions to Rafa:

Q: RAFA, How many kilometres or miles do you think you travel throughout the year? Do you keep track?

Sia, Canada

RAFA: This is a very good question. I actually will count them this year since I haven't done it before. I do know we travel a lot around the world a couple of times!

HI, Rafa, from Spain I'm sending you my best wishes for this AO.

Next days I'm not going to sleep if it's necessary for to watch your matches. What do you think about your draw's side? Good look!

Rosi Carrasco, Madrid

Many thanks. At least tomorrow you will be able to see the match at 9am since I am playing 7pm here. My side of the draw is difficult - as it is the other one.:-)

RAFA, you recently played tennis on a magic carpet with Federer in Abu Dhabi. How was that experience?

Also, if you could own a magic carpet and fly anywhere in the universe, where would you go and who would you take?

I would love to fly to the top of a rainbow and I would take my family and you and your family along with me!

Vamos Rafa at the Australian Open! You can do it!

Z Young of Saudi Arabia

ACTUALLY, it was in Doha. It was fun and knowing it was only a promotional thing we knew we didn't have to run much. :-)

I would take that carpet to the Balearic Islands in Spain.

BAD luck in Doha against Davydenko but I thought you played very well throughout the tournament.
What parts of Davydenko's game do you find the most difficult to deal with?

Alex Logan. Los Angeles

HE is a very solid and consistent player. Difficult to find a spot to attack him and he is someone who counter attacks very well. A very difficult player and very experienced.

WHAT/who inspires you the most to continue playing so well even when times get tough?

Jack Tu, Glen Waverley

I LOVE the competition, I love the sport and I love to play tennis. This is the main thing.

I AM a huge Federer fan and would like to ask, how do you feel on the court when you play him? And how is playing Fed different to playing other tennis players?

Danielle, Melbourne

WHEN I am on the court I am OK. I know I have in front of me one of the best, if not the best player ever, and it is something special always.

He is a great champion and a great guy too. The matches with him have something special also because they are normally finals.

I ADMIRE your style of tennis and also your personality. Many fans and audience enjoy watching you and even critics appreciate your contribution to the world of tennis.

I just can see you volunteering in person or participating in disaster relief works such as in Haiti? Would you do it if you have the opportunity or would you prefer a different kind of charity work?

Aliah Kassim, Malaysia

THANKS a lot. We did something nice and at the same time fun for everyone. IT was Roger's idea and I thought it was great. Let's hope we were able to collect a lot of money to help the people there.

EVERYONE has a guilty pleasure. Can you tell us yours? (music, food, TV shows, etc).

Meriko, Washington DC

I HAVE many but I can say i burn the calories afterwards. I like chocolate, sometimes junk food.

WOULD you like to be a tennis coach or a life coach or even do TV programmes to teach a wider audience when you stop playing?

Juliette Westbrook-Finch, UK

I don't really know. For sure tennis is my world and I will do something related to it. But i guess I am too young still to know what I will enjoy doing in the future.

HI Rafa. It's great to see you back playing well and congratulations on your results so far this season!

My question is, depending on the surface, roughly, how many pairs of trainers do you get through in a grand slam? Especially as you cover a lot of ground during a match! Good luck for this year!

Amelia Hurrell, UK

During a Grand Slam on hard court around seven or eight pairs.

IF you had to choose, do you prefer to win at Roland Garros or Wimbledon?

Anyway, I wish you to win both and hope to see you in Paris!

Pauline, France

I would be happy with either one, but i have to admit that Wimbledon was something special.

HI Rafa. How do you estimate your chance in Australian Open.

Vard Grig, Russia

I have a chance but so do other seven or eight other players, if not more.

IF you were given the choice to win one of the Grand Slams in 2010, which one would you pick?

Myra, Netherlands

Any of them. Believe me. It is the truth.

RAFA, watching you playing this year it is clear that physically you are as strong as you could possibly be, but are you equally strong mentally? Good luck in Australia!

Luis Muniz, Spain.

I think i am in good shape so hopefully things will be good.

WHERE is your favorite city to play?

Lorena, Miami

Paris is a place I always enjoyed very much, because of the city. It is something special.

WHAT Do you feel like you must do in order to successfully defend your Oz Open title?

Haley Dickey, Tennessee

There are a lot of different things that have to come together. one of them is to play well and have my confidence back.

RAFA, you really are the nicest guy in the universe! Is there anything that makes you really mad? What is it? Please tell us!

Mary Robinson, Cincinnati.

Many thanks. I am sure I am not. There are a lot of things that get me upset and mad.

RAFA, the style of game you play is very physically demanding on your body.

Do you think you will have to make a couple of adjustments to your game to ensure your longevity on the tour?

Pippen, Melbourne.

I try, believe me.

RAFA, As a fan I always enjoy your comeback from saving match points!

What do you usually tell yourself when facing a match point? How do you handle the pressure?

Anderson Chan, Hong Kong

That is something you work since you are a kid. I always give 100 per cent every point and a match point is also a point so that's the secret.

RAFA, in a recent interview Federer said he sleeps for 11-12 hours a day. How many hours a day do you sleep?

Good luck in your first round match against Luczak!

Zay Young, Saudi Arabia.

I sleep eight or nine.

AS your popularity and experience on the tour has grown, your obligations have increased - promotions, sponsors, being on the ATP Players' council, etc. Is it sometimes difficult to enjoy the game when you are so busy with the business side of the things?

Beth Miri

Yes. I know it is a lot of work but I also feel the responsibility to do this. It is part of a great job called: Tennis player.

Snoo Foo
01-17-2010, 09:14 PM
win

Nidhogg
01-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Believe me also that I didn't understand all the words and jokes ... you know ... my English is not that good, so I have to say I struggled a lot of the times to understand.

Like when Roger was tossing the racquet and Jim asked me: `Rafa up or down?` and I understood Rafa up and down and started jumping! :-)

:haha:

I have to admit that the guy can be endearing at times. :lol:

Clara Bow
01-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Good to see Mellow Yellow pissed again on Rafa's "I am not the favourite, no?". :haha:

I can see folks getting irritated at times when he said it at the French- but at this years Oz Open when he has not won a tournament in a long time and is not the pick of most tennis "experts?" Most people don't think he is the favorite at all- and why should he be any different Why waste the negative energy getting mad about something like that?

As for me- I am divided between thinking he will get to the semis or quarters but I think I will say quarters. :( I don't think he will go out mildly though- it will just be a tough fought loss to Murray. I would love to be wrong and for him to defend his title.

Metis
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Not easy, believe me. But again, the whole thing was for a good cause and I am thankful to Roger for thinking about me and thank everyone who came or saw it on TV.

:spit: :rolls:

poor Rafa :hug: :lol:

Laba
01-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Win.

I wanted to pick QF's or SF's but then I'd be shitty at myself if I won points for Rafa losing when I didn't want him too. :(

savesthedizzle
01-18-2010, 03:45 AM
my MIT pick :quarters :unsure:

star
01-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Oh, I'd better hurry up with my pick.

Oh, hell.

WIN.

:banana:

l_mac
01-18-2010, 04:07 AM
^^ :rolleyes: :eek: No chance star.

QF.

star
01-18-2010, 04:10 AM
^^ :rolleyes: :eek: No chance star.

QF.

I can't go against him.

Metis
01-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Final Update:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, l_mac, tennizen, Jessebel
F - nashty, Xristos
W - adee-gee, dal, elessar, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, Mixo, Laba, Snoo Foo, star, wilmar

JolánGagó
01-18-2010, 07:27 AM

I would take that carpet to the Balearic Islands in Spain.

:hearts: our Rafito is so cute :hearts:

Foxy
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Epic suckage by Rafito. Glad I picked QF.

born_on_clay
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM

unfortunately I have to agree with you...

Start of Transcribed Interview
An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What are your thoughts after the game?

RAFAEL NADAL: Happy. Happy always starting Grand Slam. Winning in three sets is good news, so very happy to be in second round.

Q. What were your thoughts maybe through the first set, because it didn't look like it was all going to be as easy as you thought it might have been.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I never thought it was going to be an easy match before going on court. And, sure, playing the first round of one Grand Slam, you know, you know always the first round is a little bit more nervous and you have to start. First rounds are always difficult to play very well.

So I thought gonna be a tough match. First set was tough. Later was easier.

Q. Did you step it up in that tiebreak? Did you find something in that tiebreak and go on with it from there?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think, well, Peter was playing really well in the first set. I was playing shorter than usual. I played with more mistakes.

So late in the tiebreak he had three mistakes, so he helped me. And I was serving well, so I won the tiebreak. After that I started to play longer, I started to play more aggressive, so I started to play more my tennis.

Q. What is the difference, when you say you started to play longer, more aggressive? Is it just confidence and getting more belief in the second and third sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, when you relax a little bit. The first set I had the chances for the breakpoint. One breakpoint I played well, but I had the passing shot mistake to the net, very close, and he played well.

So you start always. I said before, a little bit more nervous than usual. When you win first set you relax a little bit more, you can play more your game, no?

I think I did. I was playing really well, practicing before in Doha and Abu Dhabi, too. I think I'm always in the right way. I told you before, when you relaxed, you have the chance to play more your tennis.

Q. How was the crowd?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always is nice. The atmosphere here always in Australia is special. The crowd are emotional. I played few matches against Lleyton, too, here. Against an Australian, he has big supporters.

Q. Were you having some problems with your shoes or the grip on the court sometimes?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I think the problem my shoes was a little bit more used than what I thought before the match. I was slipping a little bit more. I gonna change for next one, new ones.

Q. A bit old, were they, the shoes?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, wasn't old. But here the court, yeah, I started to play with the new shoes two days ago, but the court here is aggressive. Behind the foot was thinner than what I expected.

Q. And the fingers?

RAFAEL NADAL: The blister.

Q. Are you in favor of this World Cup of tennis that people are talking about?

RAFAEL NADAL: We will see. We will see what's going on. I think ATP wants to do something. Sure, World Cup with all the players, best player of the world and playing for your country, with good organization and a big event, for sure I am in favor.

Q. You seem a bit slimmer than last year, a bit lighter.

RAFAEL NADAL: Can we bring scales tomorrow? Everybody ask me the same. If we bring something here, I gonna put... I have the same weight than last year. I weigh the same five years ago. I didn't change.

Q. After the match, Jim Courier was asking you about last year, reflecting on the semifinal, the final. Coming back to Melbourne, have you been thinking about that a lot?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I am thinking about try to play good tournament. Sure, when I walk around and I see my picture there, being on the floor, so always is a very nice memories.

You know, was one of the more emotional victories of my career, semifinals and final. So always when you come back in a big event like this, you remember the matches.

Q. Is it an advantage having the feature match at night now being the earlier match? You know when your starting time is going to be.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, sure is good if you have exactly the time what you're gonna play. But it's true we play indoors, too.

But anyway, I am happy to finish. I feel lucky to finish my match today. That's important. I was a lot of times in the other situation than the rest of the players. Is not easy wait all the day to play.

MariaV
01-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Might be even out 4th round. :o :sad: :o
Then you'd all be wrong in the MIT at least! :p

MariaV
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Rafa is the last day match tomorrow. Vamos!

Rod Laver Arena
11:00 Start
Women's Singles - 2nd Round
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova(RUS) vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova(RUS)[3]

Women's Singles - 2nd Round
Kim Clijsters(BEL)[15] vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn(THA)

Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Lukas Lacko(SVK) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

Topspin Forehand
01-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Rafa to the Semis. Del Potro is just too tough of a matchup for Nadal on hardcourts.

uefa_007
01-20-2010, 05:23 AM
I did not see the match today, how did he play ?

How was his movement and his forehand shots ??

Foxy
01-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I think overall was about the same. Not good level. He can't win the tournament playing that way. Hope he improves. Too many stupid UE. My eyes bleed.

Millor
01-20-2010, 06:31 AM
He did what he had to do... he looked disappointed at the execution of some of his shots. I felt that some concentration slipped - he could have bageled in at least one of those sets, and probably two of them. It was not really a match that put him to the test.

MariaV
01-20-2010, 07:16 AM
The test will come soon enough. :scared: :unsure: And I'm not liking it. :tape: :o :o

uefa_007
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I think overall was about the same. Not good level. He can't win the tournament playing that way. Hope he improves. Too many stupid UE. My eyes bleed.

Just saw that in Stats, very high UE.

How was the serve compared to the first match ? Just 1 ace i think in the second, was he bangining it in a such a way that set him up for fantastic shot on the return ?

(In the first match , i thought the serve was very good. Aces all around the park. Esp the one drifting away from the court):)

MariaV
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Here the presser. Rafa sounds optimistic, making the brave face as always. :o

An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Apart from the win, what did you like about your game today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think I played serious match. I think I played the match what I need to play. Winning 6‑2, 6‑2, 6‑2 is a really good news.

Q. You weren't overextended?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I did well, no? I was playing, moving well in the beginning without mistakes, having with the control of the ball.

No, I think I played right way. Very good match, yeah. :angel:

Q. Did he surprise you sometimes with some of his shots?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. Everybody plays really well. No, no. I never feel surprised. Someday, yes. But, sure, everybody can play really well. And he's young player, aggressive player. Sure, he can play really well. :angel:

No, didn't surprise me.

Q. Do you think you played better than against Luczak the other night?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well I played with more relaxed, no? Second round always is easier to play. You are more adapt to the conditions and everything. Always the debut is more difficult, no? I think I improved a little bit. I can still play a little bit longer, but that's it.

Q. Davydenko told us yesterday he never wants to be really famous like Federer or you. How do you feel about being so famous?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think you are or you are not. You want or you don't want, that's not an answer, no? You are or you are not. That's it, no?

I feel okay, no? I like my life. I'm feel very lucky to be where I am. And, sure, I work in my hobby. So not everybody can say the same. So I feel very lucky person. :angel:

Q. After your knee problems last year, how close do you think you are to full fitness now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am okay. I am very good. No, no, I don't have any problem. :angel:

Q. Last year the first part of your season was exceptional. A lot of people thought you could realize the Grand Slam. Then you had injuries. This year before the tournament, there were many questions about what you can do, having lost against a lot of top‑10 players. How do you deal with that? Were you sad? Do you read about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't connect to Internet. Normally I didn't read a lot about myself. But, no...

Q. Is it difficult for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Difficult what?

Q. One year ago you were a king, and this year will you win. Many questions about you.

RAFAEL NADAL: You made the questions.

I feel very happy what I did in this sport. I still having really happy with what I am doing. With 23 years old, having 15 Masters 1000 and six Grand Slams is more than what I expected all my life. So everybody can tell, but these titles are as home, so nobody gonna take me these titles.

Sure, everybody can talk, but I still working as much as I can to be in the top. And, sure, there is lot of very good players. But, you know, I always do all in my hands, and nobody can ask me more than when I do all what I can do. :angel:

Q. You were ranked No. 2 for so long, then got No. 1. Last year you won your Grand Slam title, losing your No. 1 ranking to Roger. Now you're No. 2 again. What is more important, getting the No. 1 ranking or winning more Grand Slam titles?

RAFAEL NADAL: Anything gonna be perfect (smiling). Sure, no, for me right now my goal is try to be in third round of Australian Open. That's my goal right now. We will see what's happen.

First, about No. 1, you are No. 1 or you are not No. 1. Can't be a goal. Is not possible have your goal to be No. 1 because if you're not winning important tournaments, you're not going to have any chance to be No. 1.

So my real goal right now is just try to be competitive in every tournament that I gonna play, and feel when I go on court I can win against everybody. So that's my goal, no?

If you talk me about the ranking, I was for the last five years top two all the weeks, no? So be No. 2, No. 4, No. 5 doesn't affect myself a lot. Sure, be No. 1 is a little bit different, but the rest doesn't matter. Only thing is be competitive to win titles. :angel:

Q. You're very popular here with the crowds. Do you find Australian crowds push you and you feel the love from the crowds other than your home?

RAFAEL NADAL: I always feel really well here, no? I played amazing matches in the past since the first time when I arrived here against Hewitt. Second time what I came back, I lost against Hewitt in five sets. And the crowd always was really nice with me, no?

The crowd here is special that they show a lot his emotions, and is nice going on court here. I just can say thanks. :angel:

Q. You seem to take a lot of time signing for fans.

RAFAEL NADAL: I did in all the place. If they support me or if they didn't support me. :angel:

Q. Roger had a tough match yesterday against Andreev. Did that surprise you about how tough that match was? Do you prefer to have these tough matches initially so you get challenged and build on that momentum?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I prefer win straight if is possible, no (smiling). No, but I didn't surprise. Everybody plays really well. Maybe you are more surprised than the players, because the players know every match is really difficult.

Del Potro lost a set, too, the first round. Everybody can win everybody, and the level is really close. In one match, everything can happen. :angel:

Our Rafiangel. :angel:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-20/201001201263969797750.html

MariaV
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
And about the match for those who didn't see.

Nadal sounds a warning

Wednesday 20 January 2010
By Darren Saligari

World No.2 Rafael Nadal has powered into the third round of Australian Open 2010, recording a straight sets win over luckless Slovak Lukas Lacko at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday.

Nadal was at his irrepressible best, barely giving his opponent a chance during the 113-minute tennis lesson, winning 6-2 6-2 6-2.

The Spaniard started strongly, breaking Lacko in the opening game as he moved the world No.75 from side to side.

Lacko toiled hard, but he was unable to absorb Nadal’s power game as the second-seeded Majorcan blasted winners almost at will. It wasn’t until the sixth game that Lacko got on the board, but by then Nadal’s confidence was higher than the Rod Laver Arena roof.

Nadal closed out the set 6-2, leaving Lacko wondering what he could do to get himself back into the contest.

The first thing he may have considered was increasing his first serve percentage, which was a paltry 29 per cent for the opening set. Nadal was being treated to too many second serves and was feasting on them.

The second set started in much the same way the first set, with Nadal breaking Lacko in the opening game after the Slovak hit a forehand wide.

Unfortunately for Lacko, things didn’t get much better as the second set kept a similar meter and rhyme to the first set – Nadal 6-2.

There were no prizes for guessing how the third, and ultimately final, set began - with a Nadal break.

By this stage, Nadal was ripping his forehand and bullying his less-credentialed opponent around the court. Lacko tried hard and chased most balls down, but Nadal’s power and ability to find the corners left the Slovak swinging but not getting anywhere near the ball.

Nadal showed no mercy as he went for the throat, punishing Lacko with winners and giving the Rod Laver Arena debutant a close-up look at what it takes to win a major.

Just as he did in the previous two sets, Nadal captured the third set 6-2, sending a warning to his rivals as he strode confidently into the third round, where he will face 27th-seeded German Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Following the match, Nadal was happy with his second-round performance.

“I think I did well, no? I was playing, moving well in the beginning without mistakes, having with the control of the ball.

“No, I think I played right way. Very good match, yeah.”

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2010-01-20/201001201263974398250.html

JolánGagó
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Q. Davydenko told us yesterday he never wants to be really famous like Federer or you. How do you feel about being so famous?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think you are or you are not. You want or you don't want, that's not an answer, no? You are or you are not. That's it, no?

or in other words: shut up byyyyyyyyaaaaatch, the day you win 6 slams you'll gonna be famous.

:hearts:

tennizen
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Nice presser from Rafito.

star
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Rafa channels Yoda:

RAFAEL NADAL: You are or you are not. That's it, no?

adee-gee
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Triple bagel :D :worship:

josie
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8_81mN233w&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8_81mN233w&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMFZ3K6HaY :lol:

Metis
01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Xisca wll not be amused :(

Metis
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM

:lol: :worship:

MariaV
01-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Rafa the night match tomorrow again.

Rod Laver Arena
19:00 Start

Men's Singles - 3rd Round
Philipp Kohlschreiber(GER)[27] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

Vamos Rafa! :banana:

kaylee
01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Hmm this is going to be a toughy!

MariaV
01-22-2010, 01:33 PM
LOL that was tough. Lucky escape this one. 6-4 6-2 2-6 7-5.
But it's going to be even tougher if not impossible vs Ivo next round. :awww: :tears:

MariaV
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

Q. How have you pulled up after that long match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the most important thing is I won, so I happy for that. I am less happy about my game, what I was practicing.

But, yeah, you know, everybody have not very good days. I think I played much better the fourth set than the rest of the sets. The second sets, few moments I played well, too. But the first set and the third, I played bad.

Yeah, I need to play a little bit more aggressive for next matches.

Q. Anything in particular you think you need to work on?

RAFAEL NADAL: Just play a little bit more aggressive, play a little bit longer with the forehand and backhand, and that's it, yeah. Play more aggressive and longer; everything is easier like that.

Q. He seemed to attack your serve, especially your second serve. Are you worried about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I was serving 145, 150 lot of times. So is not bad second serve. A lot of players, when play against the top players, play more aggressive than usual. So is nothing to do about that, no?

The balls, if they are with confidence, the ball goes in, like few moments today for Phillipp, is difficult to stop. Is difficult at the same time do this thing all the match.

Q. How was your confidence tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I started slow. I started little bit slower than usual. Later I save lot of breakpoints in the first set. First set I didn't feel playing really well. But after that I played much better the second. And in the third I started terrible, no? :lol: Indeed~you did!

I had big chance with Love‑40 to break back. If I did, yeah, that was very important game in the third, no? And in the fourth, he played well, and I think I played much better.

Q. Does that match help you going into the rest of the tournament, that you improved?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope so. You never know, no? You never know. I hope so.

I am ready to play well, but I have to wait.

Q. What about your next opponent, Karlovic? How do you approach that match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always a really difficult opponent, no, because the match is decides in a few points. So the thing is very be concentrate with my serve all the time and try to convert the small opportunities that I can have on the return. That's it.

Q. Did the heat affect you at all? Do you prefer playing earlier?

RAFAEL NADAL: Doesn't matter for me. I happy with everything. :angel:

Q. Do you spend time tomorrow analyzing this match or do you immediately look at the next one? What do you take from it as you move on?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, analyze this match today. Tomorrow is practice and try to practice well to get good confidence for the next match, no? I talk with my coach already in the locker room. Maybe we will talk a little bit more later. But that's it. Tomorrow is another day. :angel:

Q. What level do you think you need to get to feel confident? Do you need to beat a top-10 player again?

RAFAEL NADAL: Top-10 player again? What do you say?

Q. What do you need to accomplish to get your confidence? What kind of level of player do you have to beat before you are fully confident again?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am confident. The season is long anyway. If I lost here next round, I gonna have a chances to play well during all the season. So Australian Open is very important tournament, but is not the end of the world.

You have a lot of time to get your full confidence, to play well. So I am there all the weeks fighting, try my best. When you are there all the time, finally you do. What an aggel indeed!:angel: :lol:

Q. You played some amazing shots tonight. The volley after the pickup, some running passing shots. Do you surprise yourself sometimes with your shots?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, yes, no? Few ones, no? The forehands, surely I surprise. But I like this shot, running with the passing shot with my forehand. But, yes, the point that give me the second set, outside the net, yes, was one of the best forehands in my life probably.

Q. Who chose your orange shirt?

RAFAEL NADAL: Myself and Nike. :tape:

Q. Do people like it? Have you had good feedback about it?

RAFAEL NADAL: You can ask the people. :tape:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2010-01-22/201001221264079853531.html

Metis
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Rafa will fight hard Maria. He doesn't want to cause a massive MIT FAIL in a GS. :shrug:

MariaV
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Nadal through to round of 16

Friday 22 January 2010
By Matt Trollope

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal has kept his Australian Open title defence alive, defeating the dangerous No. 27 seed Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-4 6-2 2-6 7-5 at Rod Laver Arena.

The feature night match on Friday night looked set to be a whitewash as Nadal raced to a two-sets-to-love lead. But Kohlschreiber ensured a competitive contest, stunning the Spaniard in the third set with high-voltage tennis and very nearly snaring the fourth before Nadal proved too strong.

Nadal’s win sets up a fourth-round showdown with giant-serving Croat Ivo Karlovic, who also won in four sets on Friday night, defeating compatriot and No.24 seed Ivan Ljubicic.

Nadal believed there were aspects of his game that could be improved in subsequent matches.

“Everybody have not very good days,” he said.

“I think I played much better the fourth set than the rest of the sets. The second sets, few moments I played well, too. But the first set and the third, I played bad.

“I need to play a little bit more aggressive for next matches … play a little bit longer with the forehand and backhand, and that's it. Play more aggressive and longer; everything is easier like that.”

Nadal was challenged on serve early, facing three break points across his first two service games. He saved all of them and proceeded to break Kohlschreiber in the fifth game.

An epic eighth game – featuring four deuces – saw Kohlschreiber fail to convert four break points thanks to the Spaniard repeatedly serving himself out of trouble. Mentally buoyed, Nadal eventually closed out the set in the 10th game.

He continued his strong form into the second set, breaking immediately on his way to a 2-0 lead. Kohlschreiber threatened to break back in the sixth game, but the No. 2 seed held firm to save to break points and maintain his ascendency.

All was travelling well for Nadal when he closed out the second set with an outrageous running forehand winner from outside the doubles sideline that curved sharply to land on the line.

“I like this shot, running with the passing shot with my forehand,” Nadal said. “The point that give me the second set, outside the net, yes, was one of the best forehands in my life probably.”

Brilliant as it was, Nadal’s outrageous forehand seemed to jolt Kohlschreiber into action. After holding in the opening game of the third set, he broke in the second game and consolidated the break to lead 3-0. He also got fired up when Nadal walked to inspect a ball mark on the court left by Kohlschreiber’s serve before challenging the call, complaining vehemently to umpire Steve Ulrich.

Channeling his anger positively, the German staved off three break points in the seventh game to lead 5-2 and capitalised on a sloppy service game by Nadal – littered with uncharacteristic errors – to clinch the set.

The fourth set went on serve until the seventh game. Here, Nadal appeared to gain a pivotal break, smacking a wonderful running forehand passing shot around a stunned Kohlschreiber, and pulverising a mid-court ball for a winner to move ahead 4-3. It all appeared to be over.

Kohlschreiber surprised everyone with his ability to overcome that seemingly-insurmountable setback, saving a game point on his way to snatching back the break of serve.

At 5-5, the German played a wasteful game, committing four errors to hand Nadal another break of serve. This time, the Spaniard took advantage of it, confidently serving out the match in three-and-a-half hours.

Although fairly evenly matched, it was Kohlschreiber’s unforced error count that hurt him; in a bid to keep the rampaging Nadal at bay, the German went for broke and wound up committing 58 errors to Nadal’s 38.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2010-01-22/201001221264159742921.html

MariaV
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Rafa will fight hard Maria. He doesn't want to cause a massive MIT FAIL in a GS. :shrug:

I'm afraid we're headed towards that total MIT FAIL though. :D :ras:
So get your photos ready. :wavey:

born_on_clay
01-24-2010, 08:44 AM
An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Are you playing as well as you would like to at this stage, with a view to playing the final? Is your form to your liking?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure. I started the season well. You know, today the match is probably one of the most difficult matches to play well because is without rhythm all the time.

So the victory is the only thing in this kind of match, no? I did. I think I returned aggressive. When I had a chance to touch the ball, I did well. So I happy for that.

Q. How difficult is it to imagine where the serve is coming? You study the serve of an opponent before or you guess.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. You try to see where he put the ball, where he tosses the ball. But you know a lot of times he change, so... I thought was there, and was there (indicating the other side).

So just, you know, is like a penalty. You go to one place.

Q. You always play every point very strong. Against that kind of player, is it more important, every point is more important, than any other player?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, sure, no, because first thing, if you lose one time your serve, probably you lose the set. And second thing, when you return, you have to be focused, hundred percent focused all the time, because you have to wait your chance. If he had some mistake with the first serve, try to be there all the time. Or if you can return well a few first serves is the only chance to have the break, no?

If you are not focused all the time, is impossible.

Q. How were you feeling at the start of the third set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I was a little bit unlucky in the end of the second set, in that game, with two nets and one return, strange return. Anyway, I had mistakes in that game.

Later, he was playing a little bit better, no? But I was there and just wait my chance, be focused on my serve, try to not have more mistakes in my serve, and wait the chance on the return. I think I was returning really well when I had the chance to touch the ball.

Q. Andy was pretty impressive tonight. Do you feel like this is a really big test for him, where he can play you when it really matters instead of in smaller tournaments? Is this a big moment whether he can stand up or not?

RAFAEL NADAL: For him?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think Andy have to show nothing to nobody, no? He have enough results to be confident of win a Grand Slam or win everything. No, for me is not a test for him, no? He can win, he can lose. But, anyway, he gonna have a lot of chances to win a Grand Slam, and he gonna do for sure.

Q. Is it a more difficult test for you than you would like at this stage of the tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. That's the draw, no? No, I happy. The important thing, I am in quarterfinals, losing only two sets. I think I am okay. And I have to play better next match if I really want to have chances to win. That's what I gonna try. Is one of the more difficult players to play against, Andy. I have to play my best tennis.

Q. What do you think of your record against top?10 players over the last eight months?

RAFAEL NADAL: Let me know what do you think?

Q. You tell us.

RAFAEL NADAL: The numbers are the numbers. So probably is not the best moment in my career against the top 10, no? But two weeks ago I was one point away, no?

Q. Is it an issue with confidence at all?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, you have some up and downs in your career. And probably the last eight months or six months, I had more problem than usual with my knees, later with the abdominal. And I don't know what's gonna happen after tomorrow.

But, you know, I am here to fight. Nobody can ask me more when I try all my best all the time, no? So, you know, if I lose another time in two days, I gonna try in next tournament. If not, next. And if not, next.

So the important thing is don't have loses against the players that you have to win. So I did very well that last eight months, too. I didn't had bad loses outside of top?10 players. So when you are there all the time, finally you win.

Q. Which would you prefer, for you to win the Australian Open or for Spain to win the World Cup?

RAFAEL NADAL: What kind of question is that? Is no chance to answer this question, no?

I think, yeah, first of all, is yourself, so after is your team. And the Spanish team for sure is very important for me. But I think is one of the more strange questions I answered in my life.

Q. You spoke about your knees giving you trouble. How are you physically? Are you fine for right now at this stage?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I'm perfect, yeah.

Q. You talked about Murray being a very difficult opponent. What is the hardest part about playing Andy Murray?

RAFAEL NADAL: First thing is he is very good. Yeah, he's one of the most talentest players on tour. He can play offensive, he can play defensive. He can do a lot of things during the same match. So that's a most important thing.

Later, he's a big player and he's a winner. Yeah, is important. Is very important player.

Metis
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
This thread is completely deserted. :sad:

Nadal-Karlovic: 6-4 4-6 6-4 6-4 :sport:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, Xristos
W - adee-gee, dal, elessar, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, Mixo, Laba, Snoo Foo, star, wilmar

Metis
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
OOP for Tuesday, January 26th:

Rod Laver Arena, 19:30 Start
Men's Singles - Quarterfinals

Andy Murray (GBR) [5] vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP) [2]

We should all be prepared:

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/political-pictures-chinese-soldier-epic-fail.jpg

MariaV
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, l_mac, tennizen, Jessebel will be the winners I feel. ;)
You and me will of course fail miserably. :D :D

tennizen
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Adam:mad: change the thread title

MariaV
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Adam:mad: change the thread title

Adam hasn't been around for a while. :awww: He's busy saving helping people in Africa. :worship: :bowdown:

Metis
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, l_mac, tennizen, Jessebel will be the winners I feel. ;)
You and me will of course fail miserably. :D :D

:sad:

This will be a big blow to my New Year's resolution No1: to win MIT 2010. :(

MariaV
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Geeez, before the grammar police arrives, it must say - You and I will of course fail miserably. :bigcry: :tears:

Metis
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Geeez, before the grammar police arrives, it must say - You and I will of course fail miserably. :bigcry: :tears:

No one would have judged you harshly Maria. :hug: The anxiety of imminent FAIL can lead to bigger mistakes than that.

tennizen
01-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Adam hasn't been around for a while. :awww: He's busy saving helping people in Africa. :worship: :bowdown:

He has been changing thread titles,no?

Metis
01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe Adam is on a safari :D and without internet access. We could ask Carlita to replace 'R4' with 'QF' and 'Dr Ivo' with 'Muzza' until he gets back.

I'm going to send her a PM right now.

MariaV
01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
He has been changing thread titles,no?

Not after Divo's match obviously. :awww:
Safari would surely be nice. :D Adam's having fun. :D

l_mac
01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Adam is around everyday, because he has been sending his TT picks and even a few tactics PMs. Plus he is active in a couple of spotlight threads :tape:

Metis
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
:o

Well I've PMed Carlita already :shrug:

star
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM

:hug: No worries. It just makes you sound like an American. :)

Minn
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Geeez, before the grammar police arrives, it must say - You and I will of course fail miserably. :bigcry: :tears: :lol: Star says it makes you sound like an American, I think it makes you sound like a teenager. No worries. We all do it.

He has been changing thread titles,no? Occasionally. But as Linda said, he's more obsessed right now with a certain spotlight thread than Rafa at the AO. :(

adee-gee
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
:ras:

I missed one round, give me a break :lol:

l_mac
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Adam :kiss:

star
01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Occasionally. But as Linda said, he's more obsessed right now with a certain spotlight thread than Rafa at the AO. :(

Love :inlove: :inlove:

:ras:

I missed one round, give me a break :lol:

No. :(

If Rafa looses, it will be because you didn't devote yourself to this thread. :sobbing:

adee-gee
01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Who do you want to win Linda?

l_mac
01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Who do you want to win Linda?

I want Rafa to win more, because he is my favourite player. But if Andy wins I'll be pleased for him, if totally crushed for Rafa. If Rafa wins I'll be ecstatic, but pretty crushed for Andy.

I really, really want the winner of this QF to win the whole thing, so I hope they don't kill each other.

adee-gee
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I agree entirely :sad:

But Fed will win. No stopping him :tears:

elessar
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
You said that already before the USO :tears:

star
01-25-2010, 10:02 PM
You said that already before the USO :tears:

Then it can't be said again too much.

Topspin Forehand
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Nadal hates heavy conditions. His ball doesn't get any kick tonight and Murray's balls are staying low. Frustrating that all the big matches are at night. Thank God for French Open and Wimbledon.

Metis
01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Nadal-Murray: 3-6 6-7 0-3 + knee injury :sad:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, Xristos

JolanGago, shawshank, nashty, Xristos, adee-gee, dal, elessar, Getta, MariaV, Metis, Minn, Mixo, Laba, Snoo Foo, star, wilmar: you were unlucky like Rafito :hug:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/6/129046167283669818.jpg

Betty, born_on_clay, Clara Bow, Foxy, l_mac, tennizen, Jessebel: Congrats!http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0244.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0244.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0244.gif

:lol:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/11/3/129017528703679155.jpg

MariaV
01-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks Metis!
Bye bye Rafito's carrera and my MIT title this year. :bigwave:

Topspin Forehand
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah bye bye career. Sad to end it with tendinitis. :(

born_on_clay
01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
:rain::rain:

born_on_clay
01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Could you let us know what the condition is, what the latest story is with the knee. It's very unusual for you to stop during a match.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, well, is not a lot of history because was during the match. Was in the end of the second set in one drop. And I feeled similar thing to what I had last year.

And, yes, after that I can't go down after that, no? So was impossible to win the match. When I have the chance to play, I never retired. Anyway, like I know I going to lose like I did in Rotterdam like last year. I say sorry to Andy for that.

I felt pain still there without no one minimum chance to do nothing, the same time is hard for me be five more games there without try nothing, no? So I don't know if I still playing can go worst or something. So I said, well, no repeat the same mistake like I had last year. I go to the limit, but not cross the limit, no?

Q. Was that the most aggressive he's played against you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Andy played really well I think. I think he's at unbelievable level, no? That may be with how I did too. I think my level was very high today, too. I had big chances. I had big chances to win both sets. And I think against probably the player who is playing better right now, I was very close.

So I go out from this tournament very happy about my level because the perspective is much better right now than two or three months ago, no, when I lost in the Masters Cup. All the matches, in that matches, I didn't see one no way to play again my tennis. Now I am playing another time at my best level. Today I think was amazing match first two sets. Both, I think we played really well. And I have the chances.

He served ?? his serve was unbelievable with my chances, with the 30?All, with the Love?30, with the breakpoints. Just congratulate him because he's doing really well, and I think he gonna has a big chance to win this tournament.

Q. Is it the same sort of injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: I say before yes.

Q. Does it feel worse or the same?

RAFAEL NADAL: Worst?

Q. Does it feel as bad as it did last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, no? Is happen few minutes ago, no?

Q. It happened the end of the second set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes.

Q. You were talking about your level of play today. When do you think you last played as confidently and as well as you were doing for the first two sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think last time was here last year.

Q. Here last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Because after that I played well few matches in Indian Wells. But after that started the pain. And after the pain, I didn't play bad, but far away from this level, no? I worked a lot at home. Lot of months working to play at this level now.

For sure for me is little bit disappointing have the pain on the knee because I think I am very close to start winning these important matches, no? And I think I gonna do soon.

Q. Are there any changes you're going to make to your training style or your playing style?

RAFAEL NADAL: Don't start, guys, with these questions right now. I think is not the right moment. I think I changed the style to play. If you see my matches 2005 or 2004, 2006, I run a lot compared to now, no?

So today I played against one of the best players of the world, and I think I wasn't run more than him. So I played aggressive. I played having the control of the point, a lot of the time with the forehand and the backhand, too, returning aggressive. If you see my matches three years ago, that's didn't happen, no?

Remember, we are playing on hard courts. Probably in this surface I have to play my best tennis, like today, if I really want to have chances to win. If not, then the opponents, there are really good players, and Andy's unbelievable. He's playing really well. You know, with these matches, I think I was very close today. But just little bit more calm when I had the break.

Q. How confident can you be that your knee problems are going to suddenly stop?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I worked a lot. I didn't have lot of problems for the last six months. And today is the first time, no? I felt something when I think is a bad movement. But is not, you know, because the knee is tired or has been a bad movement or gesture.

No, I think going to be okay.

Q. You know what it takes to win this tournament. You won it last year. What will it take for Andy to win it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think for sure he has a big chance, no? I think is a very good chance for him. First thing, he's playing really well. And second thing, he's already in semifinals. So is only two matches away.

Every Grand Slam is special and every Grand Slam is important to win. For Andy, I think he deserve to win his first Grand Slam, and he gonna do it.

Q. Are you worried how long your knee might keep you out?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no.

Q. You don't think it will keep you out for a long time?

RAFAEL NADAL: I repeat: I said before, I think is impossible to me to know after half an hour.

Q. Apart from the serve, what was Andy doing particularly well tonight that perhaps you hadn't seen before in past matches?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think he played more aggressive than what he did the last matches. He did really well. He was serving really well in important moments. He played aggressive. He played aggressive with both shots, forehand and backhand. He went to the net a few times, serve and volley.

So I said before the match, no, he's a very complete player. He has a lot of chances to do it during the match, and that's very important because you have different options when the match is complicated. You have different options to do.

Xristos
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Such a shame.

Ivanatis
01-26-2010, 11:57 PM
:wavey: quick :hug: for all fellow Rafa fans in here, he lost in the worst possible way:(

born_on_clay
01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Aussies are 'simply amazing': Rafael Nadal Rafael Nadal From: Herald Sun January 30, 2010 12:00AM

Rafael Nadal says Aussies are amazing people who made him feel welcome at the Australian Open.

SPANISH tennis player Rafael Nadal bids Australia good-bye, after a disappointing end to his Australian Open campaign.

Hello everyone,

I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye and thanks. I had a great time during my stay in Melbourne.

It is obvious I would have loved to be there today, writing this blog from my Melbourne hotel room waiting for the final.

But this year it was not meant to be. I really felt great during my stay in Australia.

The people there are simply amazing, it's one of the nicest countries in the world.

Starting with the tournament organisers, the player services people who never get mentioned at speeches on court, the tournament director, the crowds and also Ian, the driver assigned to me during tournament, a really nice person who was always there trying to help.

I am happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I felt I was playing really well. Against Andy Murray I probably played at highest level I've managed in the past 12 months.

He was better and deserved to win, but I felt I could have won either of the first two sets.

There was a couple of matches at Indian Wells last March where I also played at that high level, but not much more last year.

But I was sad in Melbourne because, unfortunately, I had to retire and everyone knows I hate to do that.

Haven't done it much in my career, but I thought I could not go any further and the injury could get worse. On top of that, Andy was too good that day for me.

So, I have written this post on the plane back to Spain. It's a long trip and I had time to think and time to analyze everything. I am going to go and get checked by my doctor in Spain.

I imagine a lot of people are speculating about me, and my knee, creating doubts... it is normal, we know that. Sometimes there is simply too much speculation.

Anyway, I am looking forward to coming back to Melbourne next year. Many thanks to all. Rafa.

Rafa answers your questions:

Q: Rafa, Do you know anything about Australian rules football. Have you ever seen it played, and what do you think of it? Mark, Melbourne

Rafa: I do, actually I watched some the other day on TV. Lot of fun.

Q: Rafa, I used to play tennis but I quit when I was 13 to follow dance instead. Can you dance or even move your body to beat of the music? Tisca Rajiv, Melbourne

Rafa: I am a good latin music dancer, but not much more.

Q: When the ball hits the net cord and bounces over the net for a winner, players always wave in apology. Do you really feel sorry or is it just a polite tradition? Genevieve

Rafa: Both things.

Q: Rafa, When you have French comments on your facebook page, do you zap them or does someone translate them to you? Denise, Quebec, Canada

Rafa: Sometimes I do, because I don't really understand French. I already struggle with English most of the times.

Q: Hi Rafa, I'm a huge fan of Richard Gasquet and yourself, and I thought the way you stuck up for him last year was great. I know you two used to play as juniors, so I was wondering who usually won those matches?
Rachel Low, Melbourne
Rafa: He beat me some times and he was definitely my biggest rival at that age. Great player and a nice guy too.

JanineGermany
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Rafa arrived thursday here in Barcelona. He has and had some treatment at CIME... One for sure today then they will decide if he gets further treatment here on on Mallorca.

star
01-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Rafa arrived thursday here in Barcelona. He has and had some treatment at CIME... One for sure today then they will decide if he gets further treatment here on on Mallorca.

Thanks, Janine

Mimi
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Adam has jinxed poor murray:o