Stefan Koubek def. J-C Ferrero 7-6(2) 4-6 6-7(6) 6-2 6-3... this time he didn't choke [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Stefan Koubek def. J-C Ferrero 7-6(2) 4-6 6-7(6) 6-2 6-3... this time he didn't choke

Neely
09-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Stefan Koubek def. J-C Ferrero 7-6(2) 4-6 6-7(6) 6-2 6-3

HOLY SHIT, Koubek! :eek: :eek:
are you kidding me? :smash:

I'm normally very harsh on Koubek and his attitude and he is not exactly my favorite player, but this win of him today was really a good one for him.

I knew he could pull off the upset, but I didn't believe in him...

This time Koubek didn't choke like at Wimbledon when he was up *5-4 and 40-15 in the fifth set!

Great Britain, watch out for Austria in Davis Cup :rocker2:
Melzer is playing well again and Koubek is also nicely running into some form! ;) :D

Billabong
09-03-2004, 08:35 PM
JC :bigcry:!

Neely
09-03-2004, 08:36 PM
JC :bigcry:!
:sad:
his season so far was :tears: :shrug:
he had lots of points to defent, he couldn't do it this year...

Kristen
09-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Anyone know what Ferreros problem was at the end? He didnt shake the umpires hand... did he get "bad calls" or something? I'm extremely happy :D :woohoo:

JCF looked like he was ready to burst into tears at 3-5 in the fifth. I think I would too :sad:

martinatreue
09-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Stefan :angel: :hearts:

Layla
09-03-2004, 08:47 PM
:sad::sad::sad: No words.

Congrats to Koubek, he's one of my favorites, but I'm just heartbroken.

Jennay
09-03-2004, 08:48 PM
JCF!! :bigcry: :sad:

Now his ranking will drop even more :tears:

Corinna
09-03-2004, 09:20 PM
:tears: :crying2:

Billabong
09-03-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm so disappointed, it's a tough one to swallow:sad:!

Carito_90
09-03-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm so disappointed, it's a tough one to swallow!

Same here.. :sad: JC :sad

liS@
09-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Anyone know what Ferreros problem was at the end? He didnt shake the umpires hand... did he get "bad calls" or something?

I dunno either but I heard the commentator say something about a pt penalty against Ferrero and Ferrero whacking the umpire's chair w/ his racquet during a changeover and also hitting a ball out of the court... :confused: It must have been a bad call or something to tick him off that bad...

trixy
09-03-2004, 11:23 PM
:sad: :bigcry:

He looked so upset :sad:

Iheartandy&roger
09-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Omg I dunno what to say ..... :confused: oh well I guess it wasnt his day...congrats Koubek.

Socket
09-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Boy, these guys sounds like a lot of egotistical sore losers. Some 200 children died at the hands of terrorists in Russia today, guys, get a grip on how lucky you all are and shut the #($*%& up.

Whole lotta Grand Slam gripin' goin' on
- HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer
Friday, September 3, 2004

(09-03) 16:48 PDT NEW YORK (AP) --

Jennifer Capriati lobbied for instant replay Friday at the U.S. Open. And that was after a victory.

Juan Carlos Ferrero was angry about getting docked a point while losing in the second round just one year after reaching the Open final.

There's a whole lotta Grand Slam gripin' goin' on at Flushing Meadows.

Chair umpires "do not treat all players the same," Ferrero said after a 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-3 defeat against Stefan Koubek.

"Maybe it's easy to say code violation (to me), and maybe to other big players, it's not the same, here in the United States. So I'm not happy with the chair umpire."

Perhaps the complaining is a function of so many surprising results and tight matches, including Capriati's tougher-than-expected 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-3 win against 17-year-old Russian Vera Douchevina to get to the fourth round.

Having finally moved ahead in the third set, Capriati thought she earned a match point when a shot by Douchevina appeared long. But the chair umpire disagreed. Capriati dropped her racket, put hands on hips, looked at the scoreboard, and walked over to discuss the call.

She wonders how accurate on-court rulings are, generally.

"Even from watching other matches, they haven't been too good," the eighth-seeded Capriati said. "This level of the game, when it's so close, and one or two shots can make a difference, I don't think it's fair."

With instant replay of some sort now used in the NBA, NHL and NFL, Capriati thinks it's time for tennis to catch up.

"I'd like to know what we're waiting for. I don't see why they don't start at least trying it," she said. "Money, maybe. I don't know. I don't see this tournament being short on money, you know."

Actually, a form of instant replay could be closer than she realizes. Last week, the U.S. Tennis Association, ATP and WTA tried out a system that uses six to eight cameras and GPS.

While Capriati got by Friday, thanks in part to 33 winners and Douchevina's shaky third-set serving, No. 7 Ferrero and No. 12 Sebastien Grosjean joined the roster of seeded players making early exits. No. 23 Vince Spadea lost, too, leaving Andy Roddick -- playing Friday night -- and Andre Agassi as the only two of 17 U.S. men left. Never before had fewer than three Americans reached the Open's third round.

Ferrero slammed the door loudly on the way out. Normally reserved on and off the court, Ferrero got in trouble for slamming a ball out of the arena and for yelling at an official.

Of course, that was nothing compared to No. 10 Nicolas Massu's display Thursday night, when he smashed three rackets, forfeited a pivotal game, and lost a 5-hour, 9-minute heartbreaker to Sargis Sargsian. Massu was fined $1,000 Friday, then joined Fernando Gonzalez -- his partner for Olympic gold -- to win a doubles match.

Hicham Arazi was called for a code violation during his 7-6 (7), 6-1, 6-2 loss to 2001 Open champ Lleyton Hewitt on Friday. In women's doubles, 10th-seeded Emilie Loit and Nicole Pratt got to match point when opponent Mervana Jugic-Salkic was penalized a point for racket abuse. Earlier, she was warned for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"Yesterday is yesterday, and today is today," Massu said. "I have to separate the two things."

Ferrero was less charitable, saying he thought he and Massu were held to a different standard than other players.

"We stand behind the impartiality and consistency of our officiating, and wholeheartedly disagree with Mr. Ferrero's statement to the contrary," tournament referee Brian Earley said.

It's been a frustrating year for Ferrero, quite a change from 2003, when he won the French Open, was runner-up to Andy Roddick at the U.S. Open, and briefly reached No. 1. He's battled everything from chicken pox to bruised ribs, and Friday he was hampered by a strained right hamstring.

"I couldn't play almost any tournament 100 percent fit," he said. "I want to forget this year."

Capriati also used to be ranked No. 1 and has won three titles at majors; Douchevina is ranked 88th and has won three matches at majors.

But a pattern is developing: No. 4 Anastasia Myskina, the French Open champion, lost to a Russian teen Thursday; Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova was extended to three sets in both her matches at the Open; defending champ Justine Henin-Hardenne dropped a set against a qualifier; and No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo had to overcome a set deficit in the second round.

Showing little of the rust or fatigue she displayed in that match, Mauresmo easily beat No. 31 Maria Vento-Kabchi of Venezuela 6-2, 6-0 to reach the fourth round.

"It was much better than the match I had to play two days ago," Mauresmo said. "I felt much more comfortable on the court. My serves, my groundstrokes -- everything was coming together."

Also into the fourth round: No. 6 Elena Dementieva, who advanced when No. 26 Nathalie Dechy couldn't play because of a strained left thigh; No. 10 Vera Zvonareva, who beat Australian Open semifinalist Fabiola Zuluaga; No. 15 Patty Schnyder, who saved three match points and eliminated Daniela Hantuchova 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (6); and No. 16 Francesca Schiavone, who ended wild card Angela Haynes' run 6-3, 7-6 (3).

Grosjean was beaten 6-4, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 by Tommy Haas, once ranked No. 2 but out all of 2003 because of two right shoulder operations.

"If I can play good tennis and focus, then I think I'm tough to beat," Haas said. "So just keep on going."

With nary a complaint.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/09/03/sports1948EDT0414.DTL

smucav
09-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Ferrero's frustration was evident during the match when he was warned by the umpire for smashing a ball out of the stadium.
He was later penalized a point for abusing an official, prompting the Spaniard to refuse to shake hands with the umpire at the end of the match.
Ferrero falls in epic (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3626636.stm)

heya
09-04-2004, 01:18 AM
No scheduling problem and rain delays??!!!!

Neely
09-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Boy, these guys sounds like a lot of egotistical sore losers. Some 200 children died at the hands of terrorists in Russia today, guys, get a grip on how lucky you all are and shut the #($*%& up.
Maybe they sound like egotistical losers, but IMO it's unfair to refer to this happening in Russia

TheBoiledEgg
09-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Ferrero should do a Hewitt (give the rest of 2004 a miss) and comeback next yr.
pointless playing on this yr now (only DC might keep him going but whether he'd be any use is another thing :o)

RoddickBabe10
09-04-2004, 03:31 AM
JC, I love you so much and no matter what happens I'll always be your fan! lol :sad:

Stefan Koubek played great and deservingly won the match. As for JC, I don't know what's going on... I really thought he'd have a good run this time :sad: I hope he does awesome at the Australian!

trixy
09-04-2004, 04:06 AM
I think the players r obviously dissapointed but at the sametime i'm sure they r aware of what has happened in Russia and how horrible it is and they can put there life in perspective. Just because there are atrocious things happening in the world it doesnt mean you cant be upset about others, the important thing is to put it into perspective and realise hey its just tennis at the end of the day.

LiZpHaIr
09-04-2004, 04:15 AM

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/09/03/sports1948EDT0414.DTL

this is a tennis forum...not a "children who are dying" forum....please,

put a smile on!

Kristen
09-04-2004, 04:31 AM
this is a tennis forum...not a "children who are dying" forum....please,

put a smile on!

Sensitive and classy as always :rolleyes:

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 05:22 AM
i'm very sad that he lost, but i'm even sadder that i didn't see the match. I think i love JC just as much as i hate aussie free to air TV. Well done to koubek though, i really didn't think he had it in him. but ferrero will be back winning tournaments next year.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 08:13 AM
No scheduling problem and rain delays??!!!!

Not yet.

RonE
09-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Koubek really seems to be Ferrero's boogeyman. A tough five setter against him in Wimby, then beating him on clay. Ferrero's ranking will drop like a rock now. :(

*sigh* I guess the best thing for him to do is try to get some more matches in during the indoor season to regain as much confidence as possible, work really hard to get as fit as possible during the off season and give it a real go in Australia.

UseTheSearchTool
09-04-2004, 10:08 AM
JL, that's good that you were able to give credit to Koubek for beating Ferrero.

Great result for Koubek, but this has been a hard year for Ferrero, but he has the capabilities to bounce back from this year, just needs to not to bother about the rest of the year and I agree with TBE, that Ferrero should just focus on DC.

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 10:10 AM
lol, i do give credit to other players, i didn't see the match but from the look of ths scores it sounded like it was a great match. Besides anybody who beats ferrero has to be a good player.

Crazy_Fool
09-04-2004, 10:14 AM

I'm not surprised though, I thought this would happen. I think Ferrero needs a break, maybe he can take the rest of the season off.

UseTheSearchTool
09-04-2004, 10:19 AM

I'm not surprised though, I thought this would happen. I think Ferrero needs a break, maybe he can take the rest of the season off.

Should do what Hewitt did last year. He is not going to play in Houston, and the time off will be good for him, and he needs to examine certain aspects of his game and can work on those while he's away from the tour.

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 10:35 AM
yeah, he'll come back fighting and will win tournaments next year. he'll be french open champ again, let the clay god win another title

Crazy_Fool
09-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Should do what Hewitt did last year. He is not going to play in Houston, and the time off will be good for him, and he needs to examine certain aspects of his game and can work on those while he's away from the tour.
Yeah totally. I also think JC needs a new coach, just for some freshness and new ideas to his game.

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 10:41 AM
i don't think he does, he's had the same coach since he was a kid and they share a special, understanding bond. I wouldn't ruin it and get a new coach.

UseTheSearchTool
09-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah totally. I also think JC needs a new coach, just for some freshness and new ideas to his game.

Actually, that was not what I was suggesting. What I think he needs to do is improve his conditioning, recover fully from his injuries, develop a slice backhand, improve the volley, he needs to have some more variation within his game.

I like JCF but he is very one-dimensional and it's very obvious what he is going to do when he plays, it's just a question of the other being able to stop it.

MissKoubek1981
09-04-2004, 10:57 AM
:dance: :bounce: :bigclap: :banana: WOOHOO!! I'm soo happy!! Big Austrian day yesterday!! Finally! :crazy: *waves Austrian flag*

Sorry for all you JC fans out there, but Stefan was better. :rolleyes:

ae wowww
09-04-2004, 10:58 AM
all credit + congrats go to stefan... he played off his face... ferrero gave up way to early... must be glad to get some rest after two five setters and his R2...
he wants to forget this yr and start again next..

PerezRoldan
09-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Well done Stefan, it was a good strong performance and Ferrero must be sick of seeing Koubek.

He served quite well and was running very hard and was being a bit more aggressive than usual, which is a good thing, just hope he is ready for the big serving Johansson, though I don't like his chances.

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 11:00 AM
:dance: :bounce: :bigclap: :banana: WOOHOO!! I'm soo happy!! Big Austrian day yesterday!! Finally! :crazy: *waves Austrian flag*

Sorry for all you JC fans out there, but Stefan was better. :rolleyes:

Hi MissKoubek, i have a feeling that JC and Koubek and going to be playing A LOT more matches in the very near future and it will be me and you arguing over who's going to win, congrats to Koubek this time though. I just thought id say a friendly hello!!!

Crazy_Fool
09-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Actually, that was not what I was suggesting. What I think he needs to do is improve his conditioning, recover fully from his injuries, develop a slice backhand, improve the volley, he needs to have some more variation within his game.

I like JCF but he is very one-dimensional and it's very obvious what he is going to do when he plays, it's just a question of the other being able to stop it.
I agree with you about the slice backhands, volleying etc. I just think his game seems to have become a bit stale, and a person with fresh ideas may help him. I think more variation would come from a new coach.

PerezRoldan
09-04-2004, 11:09 AM

Yes, I agree with these changes for sure, and I am not sure whether he should change coach at this time, in reality 2004 is gone and yes he needs to develop other areas. For sure he is not going to volley like Federer or Henman, but it would good for him, if he could improve that aspect and the sameness of his game is predictable and it would be good to add these things to it, at this time of his career.

Ferrero Forever
09-04-2004, 11:11 AM
JC has a great game already, but why not make it better. Then he'll be almost unstoppable. I think he should use the rest of this year to work on his skills and get back to full health and kick arse in 2005!!!

Lalitha
09-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I agree with you about the slice backhands, volleying etc. I just think his game seems to have become a bit stale, and a person with fresh ideas may help him. I think more variation would come from a new coach.

I agree as well. He's become a bit predictable for one, and two the opponent for sure will know that JC is not either match-fit or mentally fit, which would give them extra confidence.

plum_juice10
09-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I think also that he should take the rest of the season off...but also that he should win 1 title b4 the yr is over coz that would give him the confidence that he'll need to go into 2005

MissKoubek1981
09-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi MissKoubek, i have a feeling that JC and Koubek and going to be playing A LOT more matches in the very near future and it will be me and you arguing over who's going to win, congrats to Koubek this time though. I just thought id say a friendly hello!!!

A friendly hello back!! :) Yeah, I also think that there still are some Koubek-Ferrero matches to come. The year isn't over, so we'll see ...

BTW, I love arguing about Stef! *hehe* :rolleyes: Hope to have a little friendly arguing soon! :D

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Good work Koubek and sure Ferrero has been hideously ordinary after the AO, at least he took his chances to win this match, just hope he can win the next one.

UseTheSearchTool, I agreed with your analysis of Ferrero and the rest of 2004 for him.