Massu fined $1,000 for abuse [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Massu fined $1,000 for abuse

tangerine_dream
09-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Somebody's missing his sippy cup! :baby:

Massu Fined $1,000 for Throwing Racket

Sep 3, 2004

NEW YORK - Nicolas Massu was fined $1,000 at the U.S. Open on Friday for throwing his racket during a loss to Sargis Sargsian in which the double Olympic gold medalist forfeited the opening game of the fifth set.

Massu, seeded 10th, was given two $500 fines for equipment abuse. He wound up losing the second-round match 6-7 (6), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4 Thursday in 5 hours, 9 minutes — the second-longest match in Open history.

His money penalty wasn't the biggest of the day, though. No. 26 Taylor Dent, who lost to Paul-Henri Mathieu, was fined $1,500 Friday for swearing.

Before chair umpire Carlos Ramos docked Massu a game, the Chilean already had been warned in the first set, then penalized a point in the second, for tossing his racket.

"I played for five hours, I fight a lot, and this guy comes here, gives me two or three warnings. I accept the first two warnings. If I have to pay something, I accept it. But the third is unbelievable," Massu said Thursday night. "This guy's unbelievable. He's never going to umpire me again."

He cursed at Ramos in Spanish, then confronted Grand Slam supervisor Alan Mills with a heated complaint in English about the game penalty.

"I just threw a racket like this!" Massu yelled, then lightly dropped a spare racket wrapped in plastic to the ground. "The warning was OK. A game?! I threw the racket like this. Not a game now. I just threw the racket like this!"

Massu pointed to his head and said: "We are playing four hours and a half! You have to think about this a little bit!"

Massu Gets Penalized Game for Racket Abuse

Sep 2, 2004

NEW YORK - Nicolas Massu cracked his racket on a fence. Later, he slammed it off the court and it bounced head-high. After being docked a game in what would be the second-longest match in U.S. Open history, he delayed play 10 minutes while arguing.

Then, when his 6-7 (6), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4 loss to Sargis Sargsian in 5 hours, 9 minutes was over, the double Olympic gold medalist pleaded his case further with a tournament official in the locker room.

Chair umpire Carlos Ramos penalized Massu for throwing his racket by awarding the first game of the deciding set to Sargsian.

"I played for five hours, I fight a lot, and this guy comes here, gives me two or three warnings. I accept the first two warnings. If I have to pay something, I accept it. But the third is unbelievable," Massu said. "This guy's unbelievable. He's never going to umpire me again."

All in all, it was a long, frustrating day in the U.S. Open's second round for the 10th-seeded Massu — and just about every other player who went far at the Athens Games.

All four Olympic men's semifinalists are out of the Open, with No. 21 Taylor Dent and No. 26 Mardy Fish, the silver medalist, losing Thursday. No. 14 Fernando Gonzalez, the bronze medalist in singles and gold medalist in doubles with Massu, was beaten Wednesday.

Massu was warned for equipment abuse at 4-4 in the first set after he mangled his racket, was penalized a point in the 10th game of the second set, and then forfeited the opening game of the fifth set for his final tantrum.

He cursed at Ramos in Spanish, then confronted Grand Slam supervisor Alan Mills with a heated complaint in English about the game penalty.

"I just threw a racket like this!" Massu yelled, then lightly dropped a spare racket wrapped in plastic to the ground. "The warning was OK. A game?! I threw the racket like this. Not a game now. I just threw the racket like this!"

Massu pointed to his head and said: "We are playing four hours and a half! You have to think about this a little bit!"

Somehow, he managed to gather himself and break Sargsian, an Armenian ranked 54th, to get to 1-1 in the fifth set. But after going up 4-3, Massu lost the last three games of the match.

The longest Open match lasted 5:26, when Stefan Edberg beat Michael Chang in the 1992 semifinals. Massu is used to such marathons: At the Olympics, he played more than 24 hours over 11 matches while giving Chile its first gold medals in any sport. The singles and doubles finals alone clocked 7 1/2 hours.

Sargsian's third-round opponent is Paul-Henri Mathieu, who beat Dent 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (6) in a match that went more than three hours. Can Sargsian recover in time?

"It's not going to be easy, but I'll take my vitamins and get massages," Sargsian said, "and pray for rain."

Socket
09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Sarge gets my vote for Quote of the Day.

jrm
09-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Thank God no one understands Serbian cause words that were coming out of Jankovic's mouth yestrday were COLOURFUL to say the least!

athie
09-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I’m sick of Massu and his bad ass attitude. His behavior in last nights match v. Sargsian was just despicable.

Call yourself passionate??!! Don’t make me laugh :haha: :haha:

Gigan
09-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Massu's pics

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20040903/all/l1215766.jpg
Nicolas Massu, of Chile, smashes his racquet into the wall during his match against Sargis Sargsian, of Armenia, at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20040903/all/l1215721.jpg
Nicolas Massu of Chile walks off the court with a damaged racquet in his match against Sargis Sargsian of Armenia at U.S. Open tennis tournament
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20040903/all/l1215764.jpg
Nicolas Massu of Chile reacts in his match againts Sargis Sargsian of Armenia at U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York Thursday Sept. 2, 2004.
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20040903/all/l1215812.jpg
Natalie Herrera of Farmingdale, N.Y. smiles after retrieving Nicolas Massu's racquet from the trash at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York T

alfonsojose
09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
That girl :lol:

I_Love_Hot_Guys
09-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Guess he is not cute enough to be taken to the polic station;).....
Oh well, $1000 is nothing anyways, isnt he a millionaire already....they should fine more.

Fergie
09-04-2004, 04:00 AM
I hope that with this Nico learns not to be so scandalous :rolleyes:

Iheartandy&roger
09-04-2004, 05:49 AM
Lmfao tennis scandals!

Seraphim
09-04-2004, 09:22 AM
I agree with Massu about the first game being awarded to the other player. I've seen players abuse their rackets, get two or three warnings, argue their point for 5 minutes on hand and lose a single POINT to the other player. But an entire game? Suspect.

UseTheSearchTool
09-04-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree with Massu about the first game being awarded to the other player. I've seen players abuse their rackets, get two or three warnings, argue their point for 5 minutes on hand and lose a single POINT to the other player. But an entire game? Suspect.

Maybe nationality and status, more so status might be a factor.

poundcatt
09-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Keep an eye out for Massu's racket on e-bay. LOL

amethyst
09-04-2004, 11:54 AM
In my opinion the racket abuse rule generally is handled very bad. I have often seen players throwing - and even destroying - rackets several times without getting a warning, while other players get a warning right after first time. Also in the case of swearing or hitting somebody with the racket players are not treated equal! The atp and umpires must find a way to treat players more equal or their rules will become more and more ridiculous.

Fergie
09-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I agree with you ... Nico should have lost only 1 point, not the whole game :rolleyes:

Socket
09-04-2004, 12:33 PM

You lose the game after you lose the point. That is, the chair umpire has to dock you a game for a code violation if he's already docked you a point for a prior code violation. Apparently, Massu argued to the GS supervisor (Alan Mills) that he shouldn't gotten the third code violation, because he only threw his racket down, rather than slammed it down. I guess the answer to that is, dude, since you knew that you were facing a game penalty, don't put yourself in a position where you risk ANY MORE code violations!