Monfils Goes For Grand Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Monfils Goes For Grand Slam

-wokkel-
09-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Monfils Goes For Grand Slam

As the senior events approach the halfway stage at Flushing Meadows, the junior event gets underway on Sunday with attention firmly focused on Gael Monfils. The Frenchman is bidding to become only the second player to win all four junior Grand Slam titles in one year, a feat Stefan Edberg of Sweden achieved in 1983.

Monfils, who will undoubtedly end the year as junior World Champion, dominated the Australian and French Opens and, although contesting many tighter matches, still proved to be a class above the rest on the unfamiliar grass of Wimbledon. He will start as a strong favourite.

The US will provide the majority of the likely opposition: Alex Kuznetsov reached the final at Roland Garros, while Brendan Evans has reached at least the last eight of all three Grand Slams this year. Recently-crowned 18 & under US National champion, Scoville Jenkins has already had a taste of the event after playing Andy Roddick in the men’s singles and together with Evans and Kuznetsov will be eager to do well at home. Jenkins also reached the quarterfinals last year.

Britain’s Andrew Murray has shown a welcome return to form over the summer and will hope to improve on his quarterfinal showing in 2003 while Andreas Beck, of Germany, makes his junior Grand Slam debut after a good year on the ITF Futures Circuit and could also mount a challenge.

In contrast to the boys’ event, there is no overwhelming favourite in the girls’ event. Ukraine’s Kateryna Bondarenko, a semifinalist last year, bids to add to the junior Wimbledon crown that she took in July while Israeli Shahar Peer, the junior Australian Open champion, has shown that she can thrive on the big occasion. Bondarenko suffered a disappointing third-round loss in the Canadian Open while Peer has reached the semifinals there. Fellow semifinalist Timea Bacsinszky, of Switzerland has made solid progress this year and reached the semifinals in Australia and at Roland Garros and is another player in form.

Dutch player Michaella Krajicek was a finalist in 2003 and will look to gain something from a disappointing 2004 by her high standards. An early defeat in last week’s Canadian Open won’t have helped her confidence but, on her day, the talented Dutch player is capable of beating anyone in the field. American hopes will rest on the shoulders of Jessica Kirkland, who is taking time away from a successful year on the professional tour to try to win a junior Grand Slam.

The juniors weblet will contain daily results, news, reports and photos throughout next week

Auscon
09-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, he's started off on the wrong foot

lost the first set 6-4

star
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
And now he's getting treatment on his back. :(

I thought the gurus on MTF were assuring us that Monfils would not play in New York because he didn't think getting the junior grand slam was important and/or didnt' think the U.S. Open was to his liking.

Anyway, kudos to CBS for showing the kid. They showed him skying for an overhead, but he came down awkwardly and skidded and fell on his behind. Don't know if that had anything to do with the current injury time out.

Coleburg83
09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
He's one goofy looking mofo.

star
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
You think so? I think he's kinda cute.

Coleburg83
09-06-2004, 05:53 PM
God, if he's cute then maybe I should consider giving modeling another try.

His body type is awful and his eyes bulge.

star
09-06-2004, 05:56 PM
ok.... not male model handsome. But he's appealing.

And I like that long limbed body type.

-wokkel-
09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Remko.. Well done.. but.. :(

joeb_uk
09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
lol he looks like ET, very wierd looking guy

Havok
09-06-2004, 07:25 PM
This guy doesn't impress me at all.:o I wonder if he can do good things on the ATP Tour or if he'll be a male version of Cara Black.:scared:

joeb_uk
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
you dont like him naldo? his game is quite similars to andy's dont you think?

Havok
09-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Um no not really. I watched that bit of him they showed at Wimbledon and his game was like a counterpuncher, but not a very good one. Mind you they showed like 2 3 points today, but he's still the same player it seems. For someone who's going for THE Grand Slam in juniors, I expected something way better quite frankly.

joeb_uk
09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
thats what i thought, i read the all the hype during RG and really wanted to see him play and when i did i was dissapointed. i suppose his serve is the big weapon and without that he wouldnt be going for the multiple slams

PinkFeatherBoa
09-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah I'm not really impressed by him much either, I watched part of his Wimbledon final live and he doesn't stike me as a player I would follow. Still good luck to him anyways. :)

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2004, 09:04 PM
if he gets it....... the pressure is gonna be even more as it is
he'll be compared to Stefan Edberg if he isn't already

thats why he didnt want to play US Open
but the FFT made him :fiery:

tennischick
09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Monfils beat one of the top American juniors (Phillip Simmonds) today in 3 sets. he swallowed a bagel in the second set (7-5 0-6 6-2) and still won. go baby!!!! :bounce:

G. MONFILS/P. Simmonds

7-5, 0-6, 6-2

An interview with:

GAEL MONFILS

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. In the second set, what happened?

GAEL MONFILS: I was a break down, so I prefer to end the set because I feel my physical not good. So I only focus on the third set.

Q. Also, there was a time you fell down. Did you get injured at all?

GAEL MONFILS: No, no. I was a little bit nervous, but I stay focused on my game and after to focus on the third set was very important, to return his serve. So it was good.

Q. Some of the American players have said, in a friendly way, they're going to try to keep you from winning the fourth Slam here on their soil. Can you just talk about that, about going for the fourth Slam title this year, and do you feel it will be difficult or that the US players are going to try to...

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, I know, but I don't thinking, you know, take the fourth Grand Slam. I thinking only that this is a Grand Slam. Because I think if I think about the fourth Grand Slam, it's too much pression. So I want only focus on the US Open.

Q. How did you pull it together after the second set? He holds to start the third set. There's a tough game for you to get back on track. How did you get it together at that point?

GAEL MONFILS: I am lucky (smiling). I think he play good, but he miss one volley and this volley give me confidence. And after, I play my game more, more.

Q. Does the crowd give you energy? You seem to interact with the crowd quite well.

GAEL MONFILS: No, it was so hot today, so it was little bit difficult. But my physical is great, I think, and I can play three sets, so it's okay.

Q. How close are you to the kind of condition you want to be in if you're going to win this tournament?

GAEL MONFILS: No, I think tomorrow if I play, then go match after match. I think not for all tournament. Tomorrow I'm play against I don't know who. I have to focus only on my game and day by day, maybe I play more good. So it's much better.

Q. Could you talk a little bit about whether you expected Philip to play as much serve and volley as he did, especially at the crucial points in the first set.

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, it's very, very strong, I think for one statics. Before the match, I speak with my coach and he say me put the ball on the court and let him to take the first volley on the court. And after, you have to cross the ball. And that's what I did.

Q. I've read somewhere that Arthur Ashe is listed as one of your favorite players. Is that accurate?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah.

Q. You admire Arthur Ashe. Can you talk about that? Have you ever watched him?

GAEL MONFILS: I not watch him. I watch only, I see the commentary in French. I like what he say. So it was great to heard him. I say, "Yeah, I like him."

Q. So if you watch Arthur Ashe, did you watch Noah when he was playing?

GAEL MONFILS: Noah I watch a little bit, the Roland Garros final. But I never watch him play.

Q. Olivier Delaitre is coaching you. How is he helping you?

GAEL MONFILS: Before the match, after the match, you know, we speak a lot. I think he talk about the experience so he can help me, why is good, why is not good. So I try to take all that.

Q. Is it different to have a professional guy who was a pro as opposed to people you had before?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, I think is better. I actually know only...

INTERPRETER: He didn't know what he wanted to say.

Q. How is your back?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, it's better. But not very good, but is better.

Q. When you were growing up and in recent years, which players do you fashion yourself to, which players do you think you're similar to, professionals?

GAEL MONFILS: Nobody.

Q. Nobody?

GAEL MONFILS: No (laughter).

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

tennischick
09-07-2004, 09:36 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_monfils_d09.jpg

i think he's quite cute. ;)

tennischick
09-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Phillip Simmonds

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_simmonds_d09.jpg

Marine
09-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Bravo Gael, keep going !!! :)

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2004, 07:26 AM
I saw him on TV today for the first time. Looked okay to me. It's hard to tell... I've never watched juniors before, so my only source of reference is the pros, and you can't really compare like that. He obviously has talent though... whether he can turn it into something on the ATP, we'll see.

GAEL MONFILS: I was a break down, so I prefer to end the set because I feel my physical not good. So I only focus on the third set.

Somebody said something about tanking sets in five set matches? :p

I love that he openly admitted to tanking a set here. I am now a fan, just for that :lol: