One last expedition with Michael Crichton [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

One last expedition with Michael Crichton

out_here_grindin
12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Pirate Latitides.

Written from files found on his computer, Pirate Latitides is the last novel that will be published by Michael Crichton as the lone author. I am a huge Crichton fan and have read Jurassic Park, The Lost World,Prey,State of Fear and Next. I received Pirate Latitides for my birthday and have read the first part of the book. So far Crichton has created a great atmosphere of Port Royal. It's like an edgier version of Pirates of the Caribbean thus far. It creates a great mental picture of the Port,the raving sexual appetite of the city and creates some of Crichton's best characters he has ever penned.

I am looking forward to the rest of the story and it is a worthy addition into Crichton's library of books.

Have you read this or planning to read?

cobalt60
12-31-2009, 01:23 AM
No but now I think I will.

Clay Death
12-31-2009, 03:21 AM
i know a lot about him. i dont usually read fiction but i will give this one a try.

out_here_grindin
12-31-2009, 03:25 AM
It is not like the rest of his novels. It is a historical one and not a scientific one. I will however say that Crichton's books sometimes are better at the beggining than the end (see Prey, where the end is just ludicrous after a greatly suspensful beginning and middle). My judgement thus far is on the 1st part. But my favorite parts of books are often times the building of the setting and characters and with that Crichton has done a great job in Pirate Latitudes.

Clay Death
12-31-2009, 03:49 AM
It is not like the rest of his novels. It is a historical one and not a scientific one. I will however say that Crichton's books sometimes are better at the beggining than the end (see Prey, where the end is just ludicrous after a greatly suspensful beginning and middle). My judgement thus far is on the 1st part. But my favorite parts of books are often times the building of the setting and characters and with that Crichton has done a great job in Pirate Latitudes.

in that case, i will most definitely read this novel. if a book has a sense of history then i am in.

Pfloyd
12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
I was a HUGE fan of Crichton, read all his books and was quite shocked when I heard about his death a year ago...

Went to a book store and saw Pirate Latitudes, which caught me completely by surprise....

Safe to say I did not enjoy the experience of knowing this is his last work....so no, I don't think I can read this book.

May his legend forever RIP.

Timariot
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Crichton was great up to Jurassic Park, then he began his downslide. Prey was silly, State of Fear stupid, Next was ok but nothing special...

Best books I've read from him are Kongo, Sphere and Andromeda Strain. Andromeda was also an awesome movie.

out_here_grindin
12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Crichton was great up to Jurassic Park, then he began his downslide. Prey was silly, State of Fear stupid, Next was ok but nothing special...

Best books I've read from him are Kongo, Sphere and Andromeda Strain. Andromeda was also an awesome movie.

When the swarm stared trying to "death kiss" that's when Prey got stupid. State of Fear was not much more than straight preaching by Crichton, but I agreed with it. Next was a hodge-podge that barely connected.